Leavuing Red Hook New York

branston boy

Hello,Can someone tell me please.When Queen Mary2 leaves Red Hook Terminal does it pass the Statue of Liberty.I know I can, and frequently do,saddo that I am,watch ships from Manhatton pass by on the live Statue of Liberty cam.Sorry I realise I have spelt leaving wrong on the title,but I don't know how to change it.

Rodger.

Edited by branston boy

Yes, she does also inbound to Red Hook

Technically no .... depends on your meaning of "pass" ....

The Red Hook pier is actually south of SOL and the ship exits harbor to the south so you don't PASS technically

QM%20new%20york%20harbor_zps7os3kv9d.jpg

you do get reasonably close tho ... I took this on our way in back in June .. it was the nearest we got.

IMG_0410_zpstek8jbyl.jpg

a semantic technicality ...

if you watch and listen to the NY HArbor Web Cam, any minute now you'll hear the pilot call "traffic" and announce their departure

The camera is fixed on QM2 right now

http://nyharborwebcam.com/

here's their track fro arrival this morning ... the loop is when they turned around to back to the pier ...

QM%20track_zpsws4appnz.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

here's their track fro arrival this morning ... the loop is when they turned around to back to the pier ...

Ahh... Thanks for that. Didn't realize she backed in - thought she might pass the battery and slip into buttermilk channel from the north.

Was about to click off and JUST heard the call that QM2 is "singling up" meaning they are beginning to take in the lines .....

1800 departure vs 1700 ...... or did DST confuse someone?

Edited by Capt_BJ

To provide a rough idea of how close to the statue, our signature photo was taken while docked at Red Hook.

Lady Liberty is 1.6 miles or 2.6k away.

You do get just a bit closer as we arrive or depart.

Be aware, that the clocks change on Sunday and next time the QM2 arrives the lighting will be dark on both ends.

Hello,A little late sorry,but than you all very much for your replies.One day I will see for myself.I have noticed when watching the web cams that Queen Mary is frequently late leaving.

I know three people on the current voyage and was determined to see her leave.Alas the call of my bed won.

Rodger.