Did the SUN just have an Eclipse in Puerto Vallarta???

SakeDad

We live in PV now. Just got home to see a "boat" in the water with no lights on. Odd. Got the binoculars and the lights started coming back on.....it was the NCL SUN!!! An hour after she was to disembark. But lights came back on and she's sailing away. I'm sure there will be some stories on that one.

We live in PV now. Just got home to see a "boat" in the water with no lights on. Odd. Got the binoculars and the lights started coming back on.....it was the NCL SUN!!! An hour after she was to disembark. But lights came back on and she's sailing away. I'm sure there will be some stories on that one.

I have a very good friend on board, so I am sure to hear about it :)

The lights were turned out to make it the "LOVE BOAT" ! LOL ?

Lunar eclipse occurred 9/27-28 (eastern half of the western hemisphere).

Was the NCL SUN totally dark ?

Were the navigation lights on ?

Some cities have an impressive display of lights i.e. New York; San Francisco;

Vancouver; Seattle; Miami etc.

Since the ship is sailing right out of the heart of the city so to speak turning

down or out the lights can make for a memorable photo event !

Or simply James Bond was told to cut the BLUE wire and screwed up cutting the RED !

Now the Paul Harvey - "The Rest of the Story" ????? Anyone ?

Was the NCL SUN totally dark ?

Were the navigation lights on ?

TOTALLY DARK and as far as I could see no navigation lights. I used to work on cruise ships and sailed out of PV many times. There is NO REASON you would sail out of here dark. It was clearly an "issue" of some sort....just have to wait to hear what.

TOTALLY DARK and as far as I could see no navigation lights. I used to work on cruise ships and sailed out of PV many times. There is NO REASON you would sail out of here dark. It was clearly an "issue" of some sort....just have to wait to hear what.

Every year, all ships must complete a "blackout recovery" exercise to ensure things start up as designed. This tends to be tricky to schedule, trying to have onboard guest count as low as possible. This may have been what happened, but an hour prior to sailing, I would think the pax count would be significant.

When the ship goes black, there is a 45 second delay before the emergency generator starts up, and then a main generator soon follows.

Also, things like the navigation lights are on batteries (as are a certain amount of passageway and deck lights, so these will not go out, even in a blackout. However, against city lights, they may be hard to see from a distance.

Edited by chengkp75

This may have been what happened, but an hour prior to sailing, I would think the pax count would be significant.

Interesting. But it was already in the bay when it was dark....it was at 8:00pm and was due to leave port at 7:00pm. Sorry if I was confusing. But you're right, it certainly could have been some sort of safety drill.