Just off Dream - Quick Review

mamajules

This was my first time on the Dream and sailing out of New Orleans. I know I was reading every review on her prior to sailing, so thought I would give a quick overview and my thoughts.

Parking. We parked at Fulton Street Garage. We actually parked there for 2 nights prior to cruise. No problems. Left our large luggage locked in the car trunk for our two nights in the French Quarter. Picked them up morning of embark and went down and caught the shuttle. The only problems with this was it was pouring rain. Would definitely use Fulton Street again.

Embarkation. A bit confusing, due to pulling in under the porch and all the rain, as to who took our luggage, but found where to drop it with porters and into the building. We had FTTF so quickly went up to front of line and checked in, and then shown to area to sit. There was a bit of a prolonged wait as the Dream was back in New Orleans after 21 days on the Journeys cruises. The Coast Guard conducted an emergency drill, and i believe debark was delayed some due to rain and having to cover all the luggage cages with tarps. It was close to noon when they started boarding everyone, and was glad we had FTTF because we went just after diamond and platinum. Were on board eating and having a DoD and could see folks just boarding.

Room. We had cabin 6201 - very front of the ship, interior with walkway view. Loved it! Would do this cabin again. You definitely feel more movement up there, but doesn't bother me, nice rocking to sleep at night. Our room steward, Dwi, was awesome. We did not get a card asking what type of services we wanted. We got the usual twice a day service. There were no robes or an ice bucket. Robes asked for and received. Don't really use an ice bucket, but had a collapsible cooler for my wine, and he kept if filled all week. Surprisingly, the refrigerator kept stuff really nice and chilled. I had brought a case of Coke Zero, and put a few at a time in and they were nice and cold. Our 12 pack of water we pre-ordered was in the room, as well as our Gold past guest bottles of water and coupons for drink last day (after 5:00). We did use those as it was Halloween and got Halloween drinks at one of the bars.

Dining room/food. Out waiters, Antoine and Sasho, were great. Very open, fun, attentive. Did get the feeling the last couple nights that they were a bit rushed. Also, one of our table companions ordered from the steak house upcharge menu twice. That does take a bit longer to receive. Dream still has the regular menus, not American Table. Found something we enjoyed every night, food was good.

Lido food. Never really ate from the buffet. It changed to a different type (Italian, American, Caribbean) every day. Pasta Bella upstairs - yummy! The lasagna was wonderful. Tandoor - very good also. Love Indian food and this was enjoyed several times. Didn't do Wok or Grill this time, was liking Tandoor and pasta too much LOL. Did get a couple sandwiches from the deli (always good) and pizza once or twice, good also, although they didn't seem to keep different pizzas stocked, just cheese or pepperoni. Of course you could order your favorite and wait a bit for it (I love the prosciutto with arugula).

Entertainment. I thought Hennie was a fun cruise director and several of his staff were great. There were 2 deck parties, a Mardi Gras party in the atrium and of course, a Halloween party. One lady from another group I have cruised with before mentioned the lack of games/entertainment in the big show lounge during the day. Not something I really participate in, but I did notice no games or fun there other than the Love & Marriage show the last sea day, and Bingo, of course. Three production shows. Saw the first two, very good - second one was the best. Did not see the third. Cannot remember the names, sorry. No sail-away deck party due to pouring rain, it was held in the atrium. Black Jack Band that played in Ocean Plaza is great! Duo playing steel drums and singing on Lido was good too. Lots of good movies under the stars, watched several. It was a very popular activity.

Ports. Jamaica - first time there. Did Blue Hole tour through Liberty Tours. What can I say - awesome! Liberty Tours is a great company, well done start to finish. Would do this again in a heart beat. Cozumel - been several times, did Nachi Cocom for the first time. Great! Going back there in February on Paradise. Grand Cayman - did a tour of the Seven Fathoms Rum Distillery and then met friends at Paradise Cafe and snorkeled. Fun day.

Wifi. I did get the social media package. Was able to post to Facebook with pictures and Facebook message friends at home. $25 for the week. This was nice.

Liquor distribution. Here is where I think they need to reconsider how they distribute. Long lines to collect liquor the morning of debark. They separated into a line for liquor bought on ship and liquor brought in from port, so once you got up closer it went quicker. I wish they would consider having pick-up times the night before, maybe 8-10. At that point, i don't think it will hurt their bar sales and would be more convenient for their guests.

Debark. Went okay. Had zone 2 because of FTTF, so we gathered in Crimson dining room, and were guided off after self-assist.

Overall great cruise. I loved 2 sea days in a row to start the week - very relaxing! Questions? Will see if I can answer them.

Thanks for the review. We leave on the Dream in 12 days and can't wait. Your review hit it right on the spot for us. We to have FTTF and are parking at Fulton, so it was good to see someone else who had experienced that. It sounds like y'all had a great time.

Thanks for the great review! We leave Sunday on the Dream. I've been so torn about going to Blue Hole with Liberty tours or not. Was it very strenuous? Water cold? How long was the ride? Thanks so much!

OMG, would so do Blue Hole again! Liberty Tours and Ricardo was wonderful to deal with, very well done start to finish. We got off the ship as quickly as we could, were in the atrium just before they opened the doors to debark. The drive was about 2 hours to get to the Blue Hole. Our driver, Donald, stopped for a 5 minute restroom break halfway there. Everyone grabbed something to drink. The last little bit of the drive is up a small, mountain road, very bumpy (Donald set it was the "butt massage" road, LOL). It was fine. Got to Blue Hole and a local, Tony, took over to guide us through the falls. It is just a little strenuous hiking up to the top of the falls. The water was "refreshing" according to our guide :) Yep, a bit cold, but felt wonderful. We jumped off 3 sets of falls, then did a rope swing. Tipped our local guide well, he did such a good job helping and guiding all of us. On the way back, we stopped at a store to pick up souvenirs (Jamaican coffee beans for me, several others got rum). Then on to Scotchie's for lunch. Our driver had called ahead our order. We all got jerk chicken with rice and beans. Best jerk chicken I have ever had! Then on back to the ship. Ricardo was waiting as we pulled in to check how we enjoyed our tour. We were back about 2 hours before the ship sailed. Our driver was well aware of the ship's time schedule.

Attached are a few pictures from our trip.

920991290_Bluehole1.jpg.f195cde6964fed2c08539b7fd8300c0d.jpg

394514636_Jaredjumping.jpg.84cd36b738424bd8bedd743c1e5863ad.jpg

843852001_Jumpingofffalls.jpg.58ec2c2b83b26886e2fdb317f8ef10a2.jpg

Thanks for the review. We leave on the Dream in 12 days and can't wait. Your review hit it right on the spot for us. We to have FTTF and are parking at Fulton, so it was good to see someone else who had experienced that. It sounds like y'all had a great time.

I would definitely use Fulton again. And FYI, my car battery was dead when we got back. They have a guy that has a portable kit to jump you off. When he checked, my connector was loose, so he got a tool and tightened it up for me before giving me a jump start. Nice folks. We got to the port about 10 am and probably would have been on board earlier if not for the delay.

Have a great time!

Does the Dream have any kind of picture package available?

What do you mean by package? We don't usually buy very many, but I know if you bought a canvas you got the 8x10 free, and maybe some wallets. They also have the Carnival picture studio for professional photos.

What do you mean by package? We don't usually buy very many, but I know if you bought a canvas you got the 8x10 free, and maybe some wallets. They also have the Carnival picture studio for professional photos.

This thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275266 Talks about picture packages?

The 80's themed day, how was that, was this cruise that much different then the others you have taken?

This thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275266 Talks about picture packages?

The 80's themed day, how was that, was this cruise that much different then the others you have taken?

They may have had that picture package. 80s theme night was fun. On ocean plaza cruise director Hennie and two others dressed in crazy 80s outfits. There was a big 80s music trivia game that had everyone singing along and then Black Jack Band played 80s music. And the club had 80s hour too.

This cruise was a lot of fun and not really that much different than others. Only second time I have been on a ship with movies under the stars - really enjoy that.

I guess the beards at CCL figured that they were going to loose 1 night worth of revenue from bar sales on the last night of cruises. It is my experience that the last night of cruises is the least crowded bar night. I guess people are all tired of drinking or by that time they have gotten their S&S bill and realized how much they spent. But in my case, they are going to loose my liquor purchases at the on board shop because I am not going to wait in long lines to pick up my purchase. I usually buy at least 2 bottles to take home. As far as the b2b sailers, they will find ways around it, I'm sure.

Howard

Thanks for the review. Had a question about Pasta Bella. How crowded was it on embarkation day? I've heard that it isn't busy at all since most people aren't aware that it is there.

We used Fulton garage for our first cruise last March, thought it was great for a good price. Doing it again in January. We also have FTTF - do you consider it a good value? I got it mostly due to not having to wait on lines to get on board and priority line at guest services....

Thanks for the review. Had a question about Pasta Bella. How crowded was it on embarkation day? I've heard that it isn't busy at all since most people aren't aware that it is there.

We used Fulton garage for our first cruise last March, thought it was great for a good price. Doing it again in January. We also have FTTF - do you consider it a good value? I got it mostly due to not having to wait on lines to get on board and priority line at guest services....

No, Pasta Bella wasn't busy embark day, or really first sea day either.

Yes I have done FTTF 3 times now. Have it for Feb cruise also. Hit platinum next Oct [emoji4]. Like quick check in and earlier boarding, cabin ready when you board to drop carry ons and guest services dedicated line. Early debark zone too helps when driving home.

Thanks for the review...do you know approx. when you got off the ship? We are normally Galveston cruisers but are sailing out of NO in March and when we get back we lose an hour due to the time change. Trying to figure out if it would be best to do Self Assist or wait on Zone 1 (Platinum).

Debark. Went okay. Had zone 2 because of FTTF, so we gathered in Crimson dining room, and were guided off after self-assist.

Overall great cruise. I loved 2 sea days in a row to start the week - very relaxing! Questions? Will see if I can answer them.

The movies under the stars...did they have popcorn and blankets? I had read somewhere that they offer those.

Yep they did. Had popcorn machine at Blue Iguana Tequila bar and you checked out blankets at towel stand, and then returned them. Really liked having the blankets

do you know approx. when you got off the ship? We are normally Galveston cruisers but are sailing out of NO in March and when we get back we lose an hour due to the time change. Trying to figure out if it would be best to do Self Assist or wait on Zone 1 (Platinum).

We were zone 2 with FTTF and got off the ship somewhere 8:30-9:00. I think self assist started around 7 am (by deck) and Zone 1 platinum went a bit before us.

We were zone 2 with FTTF and got off the ship somewhere 8:30-9:00. I think self assist started around 7 am (by deck) and Zone 1 platinum went a bit before us.

Hmmm, so self-assist get off the ship before Diamond/Platinum/FTTF? We have FTTF, might still have to do self-assist so we can hit the road as early as possible....

Thanks for your great review! The Dream has been my favorite ship. I love their shows & Blackjack Band. Your favorite show was probably the one called Dancing in the Streets. Their others are country themed & motown themed.

Really enjoyed the Dream, would sail her again. Wish they had an Alchemy Bar and Banzai Sushi (spoiled with those on Sunshine last year :)) I think you're right about the shows. Didn't go to the country themed one (8 More Seconds or something like that?) Went by there on my way back to cabin after dinner and early show was going on, guy was singing Rocky Top. Well, as an East Tennessean it wasn't quite up to snuff LOL :D

If you have FTTF and do self assist you will be off first after the Diamond/Platinum self assist. Out of NOLA we have been on the road by 8:00.

Ahh, so self-assist is subject to the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF hierarchy too. Good to know...

This was my first time on the Dream and sailing out of New Orleans. I know I was reading every review on her prior to sailing, so thought I would give a quick overview and my thoughts.

Parking. We parked at Fulton Street Garage. We actually parked there for 2 nights prior to cruise. No problems. Left our large luggage locked in the car trunk for our two nights in the French Quarter. Picked them up morning of embark and went down and caught the shuttle. The only problems with this was it was pouring rain. Would definitely use Fulton Street again.

Embarkation. A bit confusing, due to pulling in under the porch and all the rain, as to who took our luggage, but found where to drop it with porters and into the building. We had FTTF so quickly went up to front of line and checked in, and then shown to area to sit. There was a bit of a prolonged wait as the Dream was back in New Orleans after 21 days on the Journeys cruises. The Coast Guard conducted an emergency drill, and i believe debark was delayed some due to rain and having to cover all the luggage cages with tarps. It was close to noon when they started boarding everyone, and was glad we had FTTF because we went just after diamond and platinum. Were on board eating and having a DoD and could see folks just boarding.

I hate to sound dumb, but I have only been on one other Carnival cruise many years ago. What does FTTF stand for?

Also, how much wine were you able to bring on board? Do they still allow cans of coke, but not water?