Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

IF the Dawn schedule changes and they go to Roatan on Thursday instead of Wednesday, the tendering for the JADE may be different there.

Check back in March.

Dawn schedule is changed on NCL.com. Whether that's accurate or will continue, I dont know.

Thank you for the information!!! Did they change the menu again? Can someone please post the updated a la carte menu from Cagney's? DH was looking forward to the surf & turf and I had been showing him the a la carte with the surf & turf. To learn that it's not there is a bit disappointing and we'd love to know what the menu options are before we sail if possible. Thank you!

Thank you for the information!!! Did they change the menu again? Can someone please post the updated a la carte menu from Cagney's? DH was looking forward to the surf & turf and I had been showing him the a la carte with the surf & turf. To learn that it's not there is a bit disappointing and we'd love to know what the menu options are before we sail if possible. Thank you!

I was pretty disappointed also. I didn't take a picture of the menu, but what I remember is:

appetizers - beef rib confit?? and shrimp cocktail (only 3 large shrimp)

main courses - there were several, but don't remember most of them - various steaks; there was whole lobster which I had but wasn't thrilled with and a pasta dish with lobster that was pretty good (but NOT surf & turf which was what I wanted); I think some type of fish also??

If someone can remind me what to search for to find the Escape a la carte menu, I might recognize some of the items.

Edited by DorothyB

I was pretty disappointed also. I didn't take a picture of the menu, but what I remember is:

appetizers - beef rib confit?? and shrimp cocktail (only 3 large shrimp)

main courses - there were several, but don't remember most of them - various steaks; there was whole lobster which I had but wasn't thrilled with and a pasta dish with lobster that was pretty good (but NOT surf & turf which was what I wanted); I think some type of fish also??

If someone can remind me what to search for to find the Escape a la carte menu, I might recognize some of the items.

Thanks, DorothyB! The menu items you quoted sound like the items that were on the old "cover charge" menus. I remember seeing an "old" menu with the beef short rib appetizer and no lobster bisque. So without seeing the menu it sounds like they just took the old menu and slapped a la carte prices on them and are now touting it as new. hmph!

What days have the White Hot party and Norwegian's Night Out been on the recent sailings?

Any other theme nights we should pack for?

Norwegian's Night Out was on Sunday, and the White Hot party was on Thursday. We ate in Le Bistro on Sunday and most diners were dressed up, which I liked.

Hi,

We didn't go to many shows, but I saw them once.

Was the weird guy near you too? I think he was always drunk,

Judy

If that was the guy with the beard and fanny pack, YES!! He always sat in the same seat; one time he got there late, someone was in it and he didn't know what to do! However, he didn't drink alcohol, he had a soda card. He would always go the bar and order a Pepsi on the rocks or something like that. Did you try the prunes and crackers at the buffet? I had never seen that before.

If that was the guy with the beard and fanny pack, YES!! He always sat in the same seat; one time he got there late, someone was in it and he didn't know what to do! However, he didn't drink alcohol, he had a soda card. He would always go the bar and order a Pepsi on the rocks or something like that. Did you try the prunes and crackers at the buffet? I had never seen that before.

Prunes & crackers?No, I've never heard of that either.

I have to eat gluten free, so they discourage me from eating at the buffet because of cross contamination - done by passengers, not cooks.

I do sneak cheese & things now and then though. LOL

[quote name=Travel Junkie Judy;

I have to eat gluten free' date=' so they discourage me from eating at the buffet because of cross contamination - done by passengers, not cooks.

[/quote]

I eat gluten and dairy free and was wondering about your experience aboard the Jade? I know on the Sky I didn't have any problems but I ate in a specialty restaurant every night. We do not have that perk this time. .. I'm a little concerned about what to expect.

NCL

Star 2013

Sky 2015

Jade 2016

I eat gluten and dairy free and was wondering about your experience aboard the Jade? I know on the Sky I didn't have any problems but I ate in a specialty restaurant every night. We do not have that perk this time. .. I'm a little concerned about what to expect.

NCL

Star 2013

Sky 2015

Jade 2016

Have you let them know about your diet?

You should call NCL and let them know

They send you a form to fill out and return.

Once you board, you should seek out the head

Maitr'd. He/she can usually be found in the main dining room.

He should have already received the information you provided, but he needs to talk with you.

When I ate in the regular dining rooms (not on UDP) I was assigned a waiter that understood gluten free dining.

Each night he gave me the menu for the next night and I was able to fill out a form stating what I wanted. If they could cook it gluten free, he let me know. Their gluten free pasta isn't bad - better than what I attempt to make.

This waiter followed me into either main dining room.

I let them know when we had reservations in a Specialty restaurant.

I would then fill out a former that restaurant.

Breakfast and lunch I did on my own with no problems.

This was on the Dawn, but I am sure it is the same on the Jade.

On the Jade, we had UDP and ate all meals in Cagney's or Le Bistro & the chefs knew my needs.

I did order GF escargot a day ahead and pasta.

All restaurants have GF bread, muffins, and other grain products.

I am very strict about no gluten - the results of eating it are not fun.

I am fairly knowledgable about what I can eat and what I can't.

I found all of the restaurant folks on all NCL ships VERY helpful.

The Jade people are among the best.

You just have to communicate with them.

Hope this helps relieve your anxiety.

Judy

We haven't sailed on Norwegian in about 10 years, coming back this time because the departure point and itinerary matched our needs. We've done Royal and Carnival as well, and enjoyed all of them. We're excited about this upcoming Norwegian Jade cruise. But we seem to be making our cruise during a time of change for NCL. I've been a Cruise Critic follower for years and I've been reading as much as possible as quickly as possible but I am still having a hard time keeping up with those changes!

Quite recently I saw a mention of a la carte items.....I thought at first those posts were related to the additional-pay dining areas. But now it sounds like it will be offered in the Main Dining Rooms. I've looked at my (spectacularly unhelpful) NCL website Vacation Summary and I don't see any mention of menu changes for-pay, the dining rooms are still listed as Complimentary.

Some of you recent Jade cruisers, can you please clarify what is involved in the a la carte business and help out a poor befuddled cruiser?

We haven't sailed on Norwegian in about 10 years, coming back this time because the departure point and itinerary matched our needs. We've done Royal and Carnival as well, and enjoyed all of them. We're excited about this upcoming Norwegian Jade cruise. But we seem to be making our cruise during a time of change for NCL. I've been a Cruise Critic follower for years and I've been reading as much as possible as quickly as possible but I am still having a hard time keeping up with those changes!

Quite recently I saw a mention of a la carte items.....I thought at first those posts were related to the additional-pay dining areas. But now it sounds like it will be offered in the Main Dining Rooms. I've looked at my (spectacularly unhelpful) NCL website Vacation Summary and I don't see any mention of menu changes for-pay, the dining rooms are still listed as Complimentary.

Some of you recent Jade cruisers, can you please clarify what is involved in the a la carte business and help out a poor befuddled cruiser?

I'm not entirely sure myself, but I think NCL is phasing in some special choices in the complimentary dining rooms that will be (or maybe already are) available for extra cost -- like a special steak or lobster or things like that. I will know soon as we sail on the Jade on Jan. 30.

I think this is different than ala carte pricing in the specialty venues, where it will be more like ordering off of a menu in a restaurant.

Thermal spa on Jade.....did anyone here have it? If so, do you think it was worth the $129? Seems expensive to me. Would probably only use on the at sea days so 4 days that's $32.25 a person. And probably only around 2 hours each day.

We have been on one cruise 5 years ago. They did not have an option like this. We went the same time of the year (February) and the pool was cold couldn't even sit out by the pool because we were cold. We didn't think to bring jeans or jackets. So, remembering that makes it sound good. LOL

Is there a bar in there? So, you can have a drink while in the hot tub?

We already booked our spa passes for our upcoming Jade cruise. My DH fell in love with the spa on the Pearl and now I can't get him out!I was always the spa person because of the thermal loungers but then he went on the Pearl and he just loved it. He didn't even go when we had a spa cabin on the Epic!:eek: We budget the spa pass in with our costs. There is no bar in there (likely because they do not want a glass accident to occur with people in bare feet) but someone said on another thread they brought in a drink in a plastic bar cup.

Have you let them know about your diet?

You should call NCL and let them know

They send you a form to fill out and return.

Once you board, you should seek out the head

Maitr'd. He/she can usually be found in the main dining room.

He should have already received the information you provided, but he needs to talk with you.

When I ate in the regular dining rooms (not on UDP) I was assigned a waiter that understood gluten free dining.

Each night he gave me the menu for the next night and I was able to fill out a form stating what I wanted. If they could cook it gluten free, he let me know. Their gluten free pasta isn't bad - better than what I attempt to make.

This waiter followed me into either main dining room.

I let them know when we had reservations in a Specialty restaurant.

I would then fill out a former that restaurant.

Breakfast and lunch I did on my own with no problems.

This was on the Dawn, but I am sure it is the same on the Jade.

On the Jade, we had UDP and ate all meals in Cagney's or Le Bistro & the chefs knew my needs.

I did order GF escargot a day ahead and pasta.

All restaurants have GF bread, muffins, and other grain products.

I am very strict about no gluten - the results of eating it are not fun.

I am fairly knowledgable about what I can eat and what I can't.

I found all of the restaurant folks on all NCL ships VERY helpful.

The Jade people are among the best.

You just have to communicate with them.

Hope this helps relieve your anxiety.

Judy

Thanks so much! Can't wait until Spring Break!

NCL

Star 2013

Sky 2015

Jade 2016

What is UDP?

Ultimate Dining Package.. which has been replaced by SDP, Specialty Dining Package. With UDP, you got a specialty each night. With SDP given as a perk, you get less. For example, on a 7 nighter, you get specialty on any 4 nights.

Hi,

Main Dining rooms are complimentary.

If you want to order specialty food - such as surf & turf - you can do this for an additional charge. I don't know if this has started or not.

I will try to find out for you.

It waist the works when we were last on the Jade, but may have started. I see it as another choice, but the normal menu is still included at no charge.

Hope this helps.

Judy