Cruise port security question

I'm sailing Anthem out of Bayonne tomorrow. We're not flying just driving. Usually I pack my jewelry in my handbag for flying as airport security can open your bags and steal stuff. Do I need to worry about the same issue at the cruise port or can I pack valuables in the suitcase and not worry? I don't know what happens to the bags after the porters take them. I only know they x-ray them that's it. Thanks.

I'm sailing Anthem out of Bayonne tomorrow. We're not flying just driving. Usually I pack my jewelry in my handbag for flying as airport security can open your bags and steal stuff. Do I need to worry about the same issue at the cruise port or can I pack valuables in the suitcase and not worry? I don't know what happens to the bags after the porters take them. I only know they x-ray them that's it. Thanks.

I wouldn't put anything of value in checked luggage. There's always a risk involved.

never pack valuables in checked luggage!!!!

never pack valuables in checked luggage!!!!

Nope, no valuables, and nothing you may urgently need that day (such as medications). I always bring a little jewelry case and keep it in my carry-on or backpack, along with electronics, etc. (and my bathing suit, change of clothes, and anything else I might want/need that day). You don't know when you'll get it back, and they absolutely can open your suitcases and they do if they see anything "suspicious" on the xray (not just potential weapons...it can be bottles of liquids they check to make sure they're not alcohol, or electrical appliances to make sure they are not fire hazards, etc.).

Edited by fluffysue

Unless you lock your baggage, and we all know how useful that is, then don't pack valuables in your checked luggage, I believe this is called out several places in cruise documents and FAQ. The longshoremen are not employed by the cruise line, but by the port authority, so there is a disconnect in responsibility there.

You do also realize that your ticket contract gives the cruise line the right to search your baggage, and refusal can result in disembarkation. Also, any valuables in excess of $300 must be declared to the line, in advance, or the line will not be liable for loss or damage.