Escape Review 27th October

trfccruiser

Arrived at Ocean Terminal at 1.10 after 5 hours on 3 trains but still very excited!Saw glimpse of hull art on arrival I like the Marine life theme better than some of the others.Terminal busy and had number allocated but called within 20 minutes ,then further wait for security check but on board within an hour of arriving.Some people were moaning but given the size of the operation,I don’t think that was too bad.the main log jam is the security they simply don’t have a big enough area or enough machines for the larger ships.

Warm welcome on board and as is our tradition,my son and I went straight to the garden café for a buffet lunch.

We deliberately hadn’t had anything to eat since stupid o’clock so as to do justice to the buffet which we managed.The Garden Café is very similar in layout to the Getaway but the chairs and décor seem of a nicer quality.I always find the range and quality of NCL buffets to be excellent and this visit was no exception.It was busy but we found a table quickly enough.I had Chilli Chicken Chorizo,Chicken Parmesan and Potato Skins.the Potato skins weren’t all that hot but the quality was really good.I also had a Pretzel Roll I LOVE these.

Having missed out on the Getaway I was determined to try out the self serve wine dispenser where you swipe your keycard to pay but they weren’t working,so had to make do with the free still lemon instead which I really like.

We then had a wander round the main decks all bright and shiny before going to the extremely dull but necessary Lifeboat drill in the Theatre.I do prefer not having to wear the lifejacket though and just have a demo.

We then decided to check out the Brew House which was incredibly busy.I don’t think the venue will prove to be big enough id it’s as popular as this trip.They had already run out of American draft beers and were constantly changing barrels.You can view the barrel changing via a window which is interesting but I felt sorry for the guys working so hard.It was dark by then but it has floor to ceiling windows so would be nice in the light.Thre weren’t any tapas on offer as mentioned but I guess it was just too busy for that.We were in there about an hour and it did start to thin out as we left.

We then decided to try Cellars the wine bar on board.It’s quite a small area but nicely decorated.We were greeted by a friendly barman who can advise on your wine choice but you can also use an Ipad to make your selections,we had a browse and selected North & South an excellent red in my view.You can buy by the glass or bottle and a pretty good range of choice I felt.The wine was poured from the bottle with a flourish into a bulbous glass holder and from there into the glass.Not sure of the purpose but added to the spectacle.

We then went to eat at Food Republic.I was determined to try this venue because of the ordering via Ipads and also the tapas style food.

It’s nice venue with plenty of picture windows and a glass ceiling but it was dark outside.The waiter arrived and explained the system it was very easy to scroll through the menu which had pictures and descriptions for all the options,you could also scroll through drink options but you do order these from your waiter.

We picked our items and after checking out the waiter appeared almost immediately to confirm what we had ordered and in no time at all,the food arrived!

We had Korean Chicken Wings,Dates with Chorizo,Chicken Teppanyaki,Fish Skewers,Beef Sliders(mini beefburgers) and Salt & Pepper Enchiladas.

They were all tasty and well cooked quite highly spiced which wasn’t a problem for us.the dates with Chirozo were a little greasy and I’ve had nicer before but the Salt & Pepper enchiladas and the Chicken Teppanyaki in particular were delicious.My son opted for a Blue Moon bottled beer which comes with a slice of orange (surprisingly,this works!).I ordered a Fat Tire mainly because of the name (perhaps it should be spare tyre!) which was nice and well chilled.

I’m used at home to ordering 3 tapas portions and that being about right but these were large portions I would say 2 dishes would be plenty for most people.

The service was friendly and attentive and for me the Ipad method worked.A good way to see and have description of the food and certainly seemed to speed up service.It’s an open kitchen so you can see the food being prepared.We opted not to have a dessert but went instead to the garden café where I had a made to order pancake which was lovely.A lot of the offered fillings are quite sickly sweet though.

Suitably full,we decided to go to Headliners to see Howl at the Moon which we both really enjoyed on Getaway.2 out of the 3 performers were from Getaway and they didn’t disappoint.They can seemingly cover any era and style of music and engage with the audience.Several of the audience got involved with tambourine accompaniment and many more danced.One bloke in particular was the life and soul of the party.However,I saw him next morning and he was looking less than fresh then!

One of the drinks waiters poured all the drinks with a flourish and then proceeded to whirl them at high speed 360 degrees and back to the table.Some being served by him clearly thought their drinks were going to end up all over them but he never spilt a drop! Entertaining but messy if he ever got it wrong!We stayed till Howl at the Moon finished at 1 a.m.very talented musicians,an excellent night.

We had warned our cabin steward we were on for 2 nights and not to get us up early next morning which he honoured.Lat year we put up a do not disturb which was ignored!

So we had a nice lie in (beds very comfortable, if a little small).We decided to go to O’Sheehan’s for breakfast and were informed that only express breakfast was available(on Getaway we offered full breakfast).Still,it was hardly tiny and the scrambled eggs,bacon and hash browns went down a treat and were well cooked and arrived quickly.

We then decided to go up on deck and play crazy golf which was fun some of the holes are quite a challenge and a big difficult for kids I would imagine but saying that a greater variety of challenges.We also had a game of Bocce but couldn’t really cope with the rules so turned it into ordinary bowls instead.

Having worked up an appetite just for a change we went back to the Garden Café and I had fish fingers (goujons actually) and beef and noodles both were excellent.I then had Lime Sorbet and Pecan Butter Crunch ice cream which were really good a really wide choice of ice creams.

Had a look around the Haven area as it was open to all .Really like the retractable roof and the décor is very nice.Also sat on a sunbed for a while much nicer quality in that area and it was warm enough to enjoy some sunshine which was a bonus.

We then decided to have a go at the Ropes course which is much bigger and higher than Getaway.In particular there are 3 ziplines as opposed to 1 and 1 of them almost goes over the side of the ship you are pretty much parallel to the railings.I also did the walk the plank but didn’t appreciate that to trigger the camera with the pull rope you have to do a 360 on a very narrow plank and you are over the side of the ship there a little breezy and scary!I never found my photo either so I have no proof.

Whilst we were on the ropes course Louie Spence and Helen Skelton the celebrities appeared to have a go.Louie zipwired past me as I was mincing along a wobbly rope course shouting some interesting adjectives as he passed.Helen was on one of the stations I passed and said Hi I said Hi Helen this must be easy for a daredevil like you.She gave me an expression that long suffering wives give their husbands…me and my big mouth.

We also had a swim in the pool near the slides which was thankfully quite warm and I sampled the yellow water slide several times,every bit as good as any water slide on a land based resort.

After that it was time for the lifeboat drill (again!).On Getaway I was able to go to my muster station explain I’d been the day before,they swiped my card and allowed me to go.Not this time Déjà vu all over again.

We decided to go to Manhattan as we liked the atmosphere of the room on Getaway and it was very similar.

The meal was excellent though.I had Clam Chowder,Beef Wellington & the Chocolate Volcano Cake,all were really well cooked and presented.My son had the Asparagus soup and the steak (which was excellent I pinched a piece!)and the same dessert.Service was quick and attentive too.

We then had a wander round the main public decks and watched the group in the Atrium for a while,doing mainly 70/80’s soul they were pretty good and then we went to Howl at the Moon again.It wasn’t as busy as the previous night which was a surprise to me but we still marvelled at the versatility of these performers.

Next morning there was just time for a huge breakfast at the garden Café and whilst crowded it wasn’t as manic as we’d feared.The range of choice for breakfast both hold and cold options is really good in my view,I went for the traditional cooked breakfast and the quality was really very good.

Overall, we had an excellent time on board.I really like NCL for the variety of dining options and different entertainment and bar options.I must say that I think Escape is definitely more innovative than Getaway and particularly enjoyed the Brew House,Cellars and Food Republic.There are enough choices not to have to pay extra for speciality restaurants but I think I would for 1 or 2 nights in the future.

22832429321_956b67cdb9_c.jpgIMGP2358 Stateroom Deck 14

22795229376_10ba3c4e7c_c.jpgIMGP2378 Bathroom note even the balcony cabins get Bvlgari products!

22402876197_e07934cfac_c.jpgIMGP2360 Coffee station in stateroom

22832422271_6b84d24169_c.jpgIMGP2369 Brewhouse sign

22198491244_d6ccdfeedf_c.jpgIMGP2372 Brewhouse draft pumps

22807726572_3610fffcf4_c.jpgIMGP2374 Brewhouse beer cellar-barrels constantly being replaced!

Thanks for your review!

The bulbous thing they poured your wine through was an aerator. It is used for red wines to enhance the flavor. I have seen some very large ones. Looking forward to trying some of the wine classes they will offer there, especially the wine and chocolate one.

Thanks for your review!

The bulbous thing they poured your wine through was an aerator. It is used for red wines to enhance the flavor. I have seen some very large ones. Looking forward to trying some of the wine classes they will offer there, especially the wine and chocolate one.

Hi thanks I've learnt something new.Never seen one before!

The wine was poured from the bottle with a flourish into a bulbous glass holder and from there into the glass.Not sure of the purpose but added to the spectacle.

22795229376_10ba3c4e7c_c.jpg[/url]IMGP2378 Bathroom note even the balcony cabins get Bvlgari products!

Thanks for your review!

The bulbous glass is for two reasons, to let air mix with the wine and let the wine breathe. The other is a constant pour volume to anyone. NCL bars use a small jug (or is it carafe?) for mainly the second reason.

Our regular balcony stateroom had the green generic NCL bathroom products, the soap bar in a carton with refresh on it. And the (I guess) lotion with soothe on it. Shower had two dispensers for shampoo and bodywash.

Thanks for your review!

The bulbous glass is for two reasons, to let air mix with the wine and let the wine breathe. The other is a constant pour volume to anyone. NCL bars use a small jug (or is it carafe?) for mainly the second reason.

Our regular balcony stateroom had the green generic NCL bathroom products, the soap bar in a carton with refresh on it. And the (I guess) lotion with soothe on it. Shower had two dispensers for shampoo and bodywash.

Hi FreestyleNovice, thanks for the further info.We were in a BD grade balcony cabin which I didn't think was a special grade so seems odd we got Bvlgari and you didn't.

Edited by philhar