Any suggestion appreciated...

M&Dcruisers

Our cruise will end in Lima, Peru. The ship arrives at 6:00am. I'm looking for flights home (LIM -> YUL) and they are horrible. They seem to either leave at around 8:30am or 10:00pm. I think the 8:30am flights will not be possible to make it on time. The 10:00pm flights will mean staying in the airport for approximately 12 hours! I've already been to Lima, so a tour isn't an option. The airlines won't let us get through the airport that early. I've even looked at possibly staying at the airport lounges and they restrict the visit to 4 hours in length. There is an airport hotel, but check-in is at 2pm. This option will allow us to get the 8:30am flight the next day, buy this option will cost us approximately $300 on top of any deviation fee imposed by Oceania.

Help!

Don't plan on leaving the Lima port early. There were lines of people waiting for the shuttle bus out of there unless there was a planned tour. I figure it took us an hour and a half to catch the shuttle. You're just going to have to suck it up and wait or do another day tour. Also, the pier is a tar pit so I don't suggest wearing any of your good shoes.

I can't help in terms of flying out of Lima since that was where we boarded the ship. But I can tell you it was also a zoo getting into the seaport. There was a very long line of people waiting to get up to the check-in place. We were lucky -- we had been on a private tour for five days through Peru and our guide had the license just to drive us up to the ship. Were we delighted to see that!

Good luck. I recall a similar problem in terms of flying out of Rio two years ago. All the departing flights for the U.S. were late at night.

Mura

Thanks for your feedback. I figure we'll stay at the airport hotel and take an early morning flight the next day. I've checked the Oceania shore excursions and they don't seem to offer any Lima excursions to accomodate late flights. On all of my previous Celebrity cruises, excursions were offered to people with late departures. I have taken these many, many times. They really help.

The Lima airport hotel is supposed to offer day rooms between 10 am and 6 pm. Are day rooms no longer available? You might have to check directly with the hotel or with Wyndham.

Dave

I did look into this a little bit and the day room costs almost as much as renting the room for the night. We might as well sleep over and catch an early morning flight.

I can't imagine that even if you've been to Lina before you have seen and experienced everything the city has to offer. Personally, I'd spend the night, enjoy the city and a great dinner (as I'm sure you know Lima has some of the best restaurants in the world now) and catch the early flight the next day.

This is one of those times that in order to save like $500 or more, that you need to just bite the bullet as one of the prices to travel

Lima airport is one of the nicest I have ever been in, which cant be said for the town. I have had to do 4 hour layovers at like 10 to 2 at night.

Id say just relax, read a book poke around... and feel that your saving $60 an hour toward another cruise or adventure..... Go into the whole wait with a positive and up beat attitude and make it fun and not oppressive.. Since you have no control...let it go and relax

Hi

If you haven't been to the Larco museum, it's a good stop before the Lima airport wait or hotel over night It opens at 9am ( according to web) and has a great restaurant and little shop I could spend 2-3 hours there