District brew house on the escape

SmarkVacation

We've been reading all of the escape info excitedly, with our turn coming up in about 30 days. I've been very excited about the district since it was announced - I remember in the everything Escape thread, it was mentioned that on the TA, they were not fully stocked and ran out of some varieties of beer pretty quickly. I haven't seen anything lately though - or maybe I've missed it.

For anyone that's been on a recent sailing out of Miami - has the district been super busy? Have they run out of some/a lot of beer varieties? Have they stayed pretty stocked the whole time?

Thanks! And sorry if I've missed this elsewhere.

We were on the inaugural 7 day & spent many evenings there. It was most busy during popular music trivia games & Sunday night football.

Thad every thing we asked for on tap & I didn't hear any complaints. Our favorite server also resided there:D

We were on the inaugural 7 day & spent many evenings there. It was most busy during popular music trivia games & Sunday night football.

Thad every thing we asked for on tap & I didn't hear any complaints. Our favorite server also resided there:D

Thanks for the info. I would hate to head down to the "Brew House" and find out they ran out of brew on the previous cruise.:eek: I plan to spend some, maybe a lot of quality time down there next month.:)

Thanks for the info. I would hate to head down to the "Brew House" and find out they ran out of brew on the previous cruise.:eek: I plan to spend some, maybe a lot of quality time down there next month.:)

I will ask the bartender when I get on board how the supply is. And drink first the ones (that I want) that might be in short supply.

If people report back that beer ran out, what would you do otherwise? Call NCL and ask that they ensure "Chimay" is stocked well?

My point is to enjoy your trip and don't fret what you can't control. I too will spend much time there as well. love beer!

We've been reading all of the escape info excitedly, with our turn coming up in about 30 days. I've been very excited about the district since it was announced - I remember in the everything Escape thread, it was mentioned that on the TA, they were not fully stocked and ran out of some varieties of beer pretty quickly. I haven't seen anything lately though - or maybe I've missed it.

For anyone that's been on a recent sailing out of Miami - has the district been super busy? Have they run out of some/a lot of beer varieties? Have they stayed pretty stocked the whole time?

I think that the thread you are talking about mentioned that they had some special brews on for the first couple of cruises from Germany to England, England, and eventually TA. And that they were trying to sell out of those special brews on the first non-revenue and short revenue cruises out of Miami,,, so they could stock their "normal" brews for the Caribbean voyages.

I think the biggest issue was that it features Wynwood Brewing out of Miami. Obviously they were not exporting Wynwood beers to Europe. They were only stocking whatever they could get in Europe. They then sold out those beers to make space on the taps for the Wynwood varietals ans some other non-exports once docked in Miami.

^^. That. They didn't pay to export lots of kegs from Miami simply to sail them back to Miami.

They have 24 beers on tap and 60 bottle varieties at The District. Just like any and every brew pub anywhere, sometimes they might run out. The good news is that there are lots of other choices. I had no problem finding something to drink at the district on the transatlantic.

^^. That. They didn't pay to export lots of kegs from Miami simply to sail them back to Miami.

They have 24 beers on tap and 60 bottle varieties at The District. Just like any and every brew pub anywhere, sometimes they might run out. The good news is that there are lots of other choices. I had no problem finding something to drink at the district on the transatlantic.

Going to try all 84.....wish me luck!

I think the biggest issue was that it features Wynwood Brewing out of Miami. Obviously they were not exporting Wynwood beers to Europe. They were only stocking whatever they could get in Europe. They then sold out those beers to make space on the taps for the Wynwood varietals ans some other non-exports once docked in Miami.

Well, obviously. :) That would be Silly. Wynwood is relatively small and only has a handful of styles anyways - the TA looked to have 18 on tap, mostly imported from california. I was kind of surprised, I would have expected to see more european beers on tap, though that might have been related to (most?) everything being plumbed for sankey vs S/A/U couplers.

I was just curious more about volume and capacity planning - did they plan enough keg storage space or did they mis-plan and start running short (new ship kinks). One of the district threads said that 9 of the 18 had run out halfway through the TA, so I was just wondering about how things are shaking out after a month or so.

We were on the TA and the District is one of the best venues on the ship even without the beer! On Day 2 of the TA had 12 out of the 24 total dry; on Day 9 they only had 4 taps that were still working! We spent a lot of time there since our cabin was only 75 feet down the corridor.

I was on the December 5th-12th sailing, they were fully stocked and did not run out of any brews. I went every night is was packed every night except for the last 2. Probably because Thursday night is the white party and Friday night is the last night...

Founders All Day IPA was on the board and is a great choice. It's a great IPA and only a little over 4% abv so not too heavy. Also, if they put anything from Bell's on tap, especially Bell's Two Hearted Ale is another great choice. Both Founder's and Bell's are Michigan Beers and are both pretty big in Florida and NY. Obviously, this is just my opinion and means nothing if you don't like a good hoppy IPA.

If people report back that beer ran out, what would you do otherwise? Call NCL and ask that they ensure "Chimay" is stocked well?

To answer your question - if it were to run out early, I would make it a point to go there more often on the first few days of the cruise. No point in delaying until the end of the cruise if they're out on day 2 or 3!

Edit: Looks like that's not the case out of Miami (Thanks for the answer, Amscene1!) so all good. :)

Edited by SmarkVacation

Founders All Day IPA was on the board and is a great choice. It's a great IPA and only a little over 4% abv so not too heavy. Also, if they put anything from Bell's on tap, especially Bell's Two Hearted Ale is another great choice. Both Founder's and Bell's are Michigan Beers and are both pretty big in Florida and NY. Obviously, this is just my opinion and means nothing if you don't like a good hoppy IPA.

Sounds good will give it a try, is IPA the same in the US as here i.e India Pale Ale?

The UK offering is Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow and Magners all mass produced. We have some wonderful beers and ciders and this is the offering!!

Yes, Indian Pale Ale. There are some that are mass produced like Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams, which aren't bad, but the best are from the local breweries on tap. The good ones have a great hoppy aroma.

Isn't that ridiculous? So now if I don't like it I will send back a full beer instead of half a beer. Not anything to complain about, it just doesn't make any sense. I'm curious on the reasoning. Any thoughts?

I was on the December 5th-12th sailing, they were fully stocked and did not run out of any brews. I went every night is was packed every night except for the last 2. Probably because Thursday night is the white party and Friday night is the last night...

I was on the following cruise that left Dec 12. The bar was indeed well stocked but it didn't seem busy at all but maybe I wasn't there during the peak time. It was packed for Sunday Night Football. I was also there on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at around 9pm and it was dead in there.

That's so silly, so I can get unlimited beers one at a time, but flights are extra.....

I agree. It's not like the Martini tasting, which also isn't included in UBP. At least there you get educated and entertained.

Beer flights? I doubt they do anything special for that. But I only ever order flights to save money on unknown beers (and then order full glasses of the one I choose). I wouldn't worry about that with the UBP.

Perhaps we could ask the bartender to just pour a half-pint? Or I assume they'll do the usual ~1 ounce sample.

The UBP will really help with sampling the bottles.

I agree. It's not like the Martini tasting, which also isn't included in UBP. At least there you get educated and entertained.

Beer flights? I doubt they do anything special for that. But I only ever order flights to save money on unknown beers (and then order full glasses of the one I choose). I wouldn't worry about that with the UBP.

Perhaps we could ask the bartender to just pour a half-pint? Or I assume they'll do the usual ~1 ounce sample.

The UBP will really help with sampling the bottles.

So just to clarify, UBP covers the beers (bottles, draught) but not flights?