Passing on info regarding beds

Recently off Adventure. The bed was hard as a rock. I asked the cabin steward for an egg crate. He advised me he wasn't sure they had any. When I spoke with guest services, the rep said due to health reasons they are no longer available.

I requested and received one in May on Radiance.

Just passing the info in case others inquire about the bed egg crates to make the bed softer.

It may be ship to ship. I had the same experience on the adventure (11/21). I'm not even going to call what we had a mattress. I sent an email to the concierge prior to our arrival to request an egg crate based on reports here.

I got back and email saying yes it will be on the bed, then an email a few days later saying they don't have foam toppers.

We were on the Freedom last month on a B2B. I've always found cruise ship beds to be comfortable but half way through our second week they changed our mattress. IT WAS ROCK HARD, and I like a firm bed. I mean when you sat on it there was no give at all, it was like sitting on a concrete bench. Our steward was able to get a foam pad for us.

Apparently the mattresses are dated and they have a cycle of replacing them.

Recently off Adventure. The bed was hard as a rock. I asked the cabin steward for an egg crate. He advised me he wasn't sure they had any. When I spoke with guest services, the rep said due to health reasons they are no longer available.

I requested and received one in May on Radiance.

Just passing the info in case others inquire about the bed egg crates to make the bed softer.

We have always requested an egg crate topper. Now I'm wondering what they mean by its a health concern! Do they retain more nasty things than a regular mattress? Not sure I will be comfortable sleeping on them again wondering what's on or in them! :eek:

We have always requested an egg crate topper. Now I'm wondering what they mean by its a health concern! Do they retain more nasty things than a regular mattress? Not sure I will be comfortable sleeping on them again wondering what's on or in them! :eek:

Allergy And Topper Choice

Just like there are no allergy-free mattresses, there are no regular allergy-free pads (except for the ones manufactured especially for people suffering from allergies). Since egg crate mattress pads are also made of foam, they are just as prone to host dust mites as memory foam toppers are, even though foam is generally not a source of food in itself.

The only way to keep dust mites out from your mattress topper, be it the memory foam or egg crate type, is to use dust-mite resistant encasings and covers.

Our bed in August on the Adventure was rock hard. I didn't think to ask for an egg crate foam mattress (even though I remember having one on Freedom the year before). We're going on Freedom in April - do I need to call ahead and request one or will it already be there. If I need to call ahead does anyone have the number? Thanks!

I always request the egg crate/foam mattress in advance through Special Needs. I also request a fan for my asthma and we usually have to ask again once we get on board, but I always get one.

Edited by Terre