What and where is your best food experience in Italy?

scher

In the neighborhood of Trastevere in Rome, I love Dar Poeta for pizza. The lines are long and they get packed really early. Also, Grazie e Graziella, while I didn't have lots of food, I enjoyed the ambiance and people watching.

In Florence, I LOVED Za Za.

In Positano, I loved Chez Black for both the views and food.

I'm gonna jump in here and ask about Venice. Our cruise only gives us two nights where we can have dinner and that's in Barcelona before we board the ship and Venice when we finish! Other than TLCOhio's post all I've heard anything about is the tourist traps around St. Mark's.

Here is a link to a wonderful restaurant in Venice, it is just up the street for the railroad station. An easy walk from Piazzala Roma where the People mover will leave you. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1159180-Reviews-Trattoria_Povoledo-Venice_Veneto.html

We have had some great food experiences in Italy.

Our rule of thumb is simple. We look for a place that is a few blocks away from busy tourist areas. If the menu is written in multiple language (and posted in in the window) we do not even bother going in. If we go in and all we see is tourists or all we hear is English, we leave. We look for a venue filled primarily with locals and often ask a local shopkeeper for a recommendation.

Our strong preference is for small, family run trattorias. Sometimes their English is as poor as our Italian but we all struggle through. After several trips...so far so good. Nothing bad has happened and we have had some wonderful experiences.

We often share dishes in order to try more items. We invariably go with the house wine as it often originates from the vineyard of one of the relatives of the owner.

We do the same when we tour other countries. It works for us.

Love this advice - will try it when I'm in Italy in September! :D

Yes everyone is taken there . I agree I think the tour companies get some kind of kickback. But thankfully these companies found this place ( la taggliano) cause it honestly has been up on the highlights!! Italytoursharing.com has taken me there 2 times and I would of never found it without them! I'm going to sorrento precruise in a month and trying to figure out how to get there on my own[emoji485][emoji485]

I'm going to sorrento precruise in a month and trying to figure out how to get there on my own
I think your best bet is to get to Positano, either by bus or boat, and take a taxi from there. A taxi all the way from Sorrento would be pretty expensive. You can arrange to have the driver come back and get you at a certain time or just have the restaurant call a cab when you are ready to leave.

Actually, you might consider walking back to Positano. By car it's a long way but on foot is only a little over a mile.

Yes everyone is taken there . I agree I think the tour companies get some kind of kickback. But thankfully these companies found this place ( la taggliano) cause it honestly has been up on the highlights!! Italytoursharing.com has taken me there 2 times and I would of never found it without them! I'm going to sorrento precruise in a month and trying to figure out how to get there on my own[emoji485][emoji485]

Sounds like a must do. . Thanks! !