What and where is your best food experience in Italy?

scher

Our wine tasting experience at Fattoria Montecchio in Tuscany was so exceptional that we repeated it on our next trip to Italy. The setting - a beautiful complex overlooking rolling hills and vineyards. The event - sampling 5 delicious Chianti Classico wines with a substantial country lunch of local produce (several ham and sausage meats, honey, bread, tomatoes, cheese and biscotti). We toured the grounds, admired the black roosters, viewed the wine making process and spent more than 2 hours "at table". Rolled out of there well replete and very tipsy - all for the grand sum of $20 US each.

Have you read any "foodie" books by Marlena De Blasi. My favourites are "A Thousand Days in Venice" and "A Thousand Days in Tuscany". Quick reads, in the style of memoirs/cookbooks. You will want to eat at her table, meet her friends and possibly move to her village when you turn the last page.

I will get those books....and now after reading what you wrote am soooo sooo sorry i can't make it there

But you will never regret the time you have in Venice. Every time you turn a corner you will come across something amazing. Don't be afraid to wander off the beaten path and discover some gems for yourself.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better....when I was originally booking this trip I was trying to accomplish a few things.....Tapas in Barcelona, A lunch in a vineyard in Tuscany. Going to Santorini and Mykonos and getting to Venice. Along with other stops in between. None of the Cruise ships did this itineary that I wanted to go on so I had to improvise. I wanted a newer ship so most of the cruises were out. I didn't want to go on Hal because it was a older ship and I felt the passengers would be more elder then myself and with that I am bringing my young adult children and thought that Hal would be the most boring for them when at sea. Although they had a great route it didn't work.

We ended up with Celebrity Reflection leaving out of Rome and returning to Rome. Had to forgo Barcelona and Florence but goes to Naples Sicily Mykonos Santorini Athens Rhodes and Kusadasi. We are flying into Venice and will stay 3 days and then speed train to Rome and then to the port. Staying in Rome 3 days post cruise.

I think I may forgo the food tour after getting so many good recommendations on here. My mouth is already watering. I do keep hearing that the food in Rome is not as good as in Florence or Tuscany...I hope I am hearing wrong.

Different kinds of food. But, you know, I have thoroughly enjoyed all those restaurants in Rome. I have some favorites in other parts of Italy, too. Don't worry - you won't be disappointed. We'll save the Tuscan stuff for another time ;)

I just came across this and thank you all for your posts. It's helped more than the OP with ideas and options. Along with a bit of interesting history on how the Marguerite pizza came to be!! I'll be in Italy in May and so looking fwd to new tastes to try. Can anyone tell me what is the '.... al pepi' that was mentioned earlier please? .I'll have to get a dictionary to figure out the words for the few foods that I absolutely don't eat. That would be octopus, squid and the tiny calamari with the faces.... :eek:

Sometimes good things happen when least expected. We have often stayed at the FCO Hilton (the night before we fly home) and eaten at their overpriced restaurant. But on one trip we decided to keep our rental car until after dinner and used the car to drive into nearby Fiumcino for dinner. This is actually a sea resort town (located close to the airport) with a picturesque seawall area that has quite a few restaurants across the street. While walking along this street (Lungomare della Salute)

we noticed a lot of locals/Italians entering a restaurant around 8pm (not many folks eat before 8 in Fiumcino). So we also went into this restaurant which is called Amelindo. While not rated among the top restaurants on most web sites, it does seem to be highly regarded by folks who live in the area, and we had an absolutely fantastic seafood dinner (reasonably priced). This was by far, the best seafood we have had anywhere in Italy (and we have driven over 10,000 miles within Italy and dined in an awful lot of restaurants).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I just came across this and thank you all for your posts. It's helped more than the OP with ideas and options. Along with a bit of interesting history on how the Marguerite pizza came to be!! I'll be in Italy in May and so looking fwd to new tastes to try. Can anyone tell me what is the '.... al pepi' that was mentioned earlier please? .I'll have to get a dictionary to figure out the words for the few foods that I absolutely don't eat. That would be octopus, squid and the tiny calamari with the faces.... :eek:

Cacio e Pepe? Here's a recipe:

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/cacio-e-pepe-pasta-11422

Looks easy to make, but there is a trick. I'll let someone who has been successful describe the proper method:).

In my humble opinion, you can have a fantastic food experience in so many places in Italy. At the same time, Italy is about a lot more than just the food. From visiting Rome many times I have a number of favorite restaurants from hole in the wall to family trattoria to more upscale. Half the fun is discovering them.

texancruzer: We love Italy' date=' the people, the food and everything about it….. can't stay away [/quote']

Keroppi2011: Don't even get me started on how much I love Barcelona!

As noted above by the wise cruisemom42 and others' date=' there are many excellent options in Italy. Hard to say exactly which one is our top favorite. Much depends on other factors, including the folks you are traveling with, the weather, luck in ordering the right dishes, the beauty/uniqueness of the settings, etc.

Below are a few of my photo examples/samples. Here is more [b']background on La Tagliata[/b] on the Amalfi Coast near Naples. We super enjoyed this experience and food. Maybe others did not. But, it worked for us. It is built on three terraces with great views of Positano and its dramatic coastline. Overlooking organic vegetable gardens and vineyards, these super fresh items are grown and used in the restaurant’s kitchen. This local wine is produced without any chemicals and has a special taste that highlights this part of the visit to Italy, the world’s largest wine producer. La Tagliata is operated by Dora and Don Luigi. They serve handmade pasta made by Signora Dora, with her son Vincenzo working along side her in the kitchen. Two other children, Peppino and Antonietta, serve tables and greet guests with warm, friendly, family hospitality.

Assuming you're not looking for the high-end, pricy places, the great news is that most any place will be very good to great to excellent. It's hard to have a bad meal in Italy!! The secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,603 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Along a canal, this is Da Raffaelle where we had an outdoor table right next to the waterway. Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347. It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House. Their website is: http://www.ristorantedaraffaele.com/index-eng.htm

VeniceCanalDiningRaffae.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

In the kitchen, this is our chef-owner in the area where our meal was prepared. Excellent setting, food and a less-touristy focus.:

PositanoDiningChefInKitchen.jpg

Here is more from our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. This includes a sampling of the many desserts served to our table.:

PositanoDessertOptions.jpg

PositanoMtsPastaYellowWine.jpg

As noted above by the wise cruisemom42 and others, there are many excellent options in Italy. Hard to say exactly which one is our top favorite. Much depends on other factors, including the folks you are traveling with, the weather, luck in ordering the right dishes, the beauty/uniqueness of the settings, etc.

Below are a few of my photo examples/samples. Here is more background on La Tagliata on the Amalfi Coast near Naples. We super enjoyed this experience and food. Maybe others did not. But, it worked for us. It is built on three terraces with great views of Positano and its dramatic coastline. Overlooking organic vegetable gardens and vineyards, these super fresh items are grown and used in the restaurant’s kitchen. This local wine is produced without any chemicals and has a special taste that highlights this part of the visit to Italy, the world’s largest wine producer. La Tagliata is operated by Dora and Don Luigi. They serve handmade pasta made by Signora Dora, with her son Vincenzo working along side her in the kitchen. Two other children, Peppino and Antonietta, serve tables and greet guests with warm, friendly, family hospitality.

Assuming you're not looking for the high-end, pricy places, the great news is that most any place will be very good to great to excellent. It's hard to have a bad meal in Italy!! The secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,603 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Along a canal, this is Da Raffaelle where we had an outdoor table right next to the waterway. Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347. It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House. Their website is: http://www.ristorantedaraffaele.com/index-eng.htm

VeniceCanalDiningRaffae.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

In the kitchen, this is our chef-owner in the area where our meal was prepared. Excellent setting, food and a less-touristy focus.:

PositanoDiningChefInKitchen.jpg

Here is more from our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. This includes a sampling of the many desserts served to our table.:

PositanoDessertOptions.jpg

PositanoMtsPastaYellowWine.jpg

Fantastic!!! thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Cacio e Pepe? Here's a recipe:

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/cacio-e-pepe-pasta-11422

Looks easy to make, but there is a trick. I'll let someone who has been successful describe the proper method:).

Happy New Year All!! And Thank You Buggins0402! I checked out the recipe, looks very easy, along with the other treats!! Into my favourites it goes!!! If anyone can tell me what to watch for when preparing the cacio e pepe, would be appreciated.

Happy New Year All!! And Thank You Buggins0402! I checked out the recipe, looks very easy, along with the other treats!! Into my favourites it goes!!! If anyone can tell me what to watch for when preparing the cacio e pepe, would be appreciated.

I add the pasta water back in batches, not all at once. It's a balancing act - not too sticky, not too soupy...

We have had some great food experiences in Italy.

Our rule of thumb is simple. We look for a place that is a few blocks away from busy tourist areas. If the menu is written in multiple language (and posted in in the window) we do not even bother going in. If we go in and all we see is tourists or all we hear is English, we leave. We look for a venue filled primarily with locals and often ask a local shopkeeper for a recommendation.

Our strong preference is for small, family run trattorias. Sometimes their English is as poor as our Italian but we all struggle through. After several trips...so far so good. Nothing bad has happened and we have had some wonderful experiences.

We often share dishes in order to try more items. We invariably go with the house wine as it often originates from the vineyard of one of the relatives of the owner.

We do the same when we tour other countries. It works for us.

Edited by iancal

• 1 month later...

Florence - Il fagoli , very close to Plaza Santa Croce. By far the best we had there

Roma - l'Osteria dei Pontifici on the large boulevard running to the south of the Vatican.

Civitavecchia- Tenuta del'Argento. Superb meal and view of the port is devine

• 1 month later...
If you get a chance to go out the amalfi coast way, there is this restaurant that italytoursharing.com tours takes you too way up on the hill called la taggliano. They serve family Style and the food and drink just keeps coming. FANTASTICO!!!

I think a bunch of tour groups go there. I believe the your i booked does so thanks for the recommendation

Il Gabriello and Ciampini, both walkable from the Spanish Steps.

However, regarding the larger question of best Italian food, IMO you need to head south for the best food from Neapolitan Pizza to Sicilian Arancini or any seafood "fra diavola."

Sicily???

I'm gonna jump in here and ask about Venice. Our cruise only gives us two nights where we can have dinner and that's in Barcelona before we board the ship and Venice when we finish! Other than TLCOhio's post all I've heard anything about is the tourist traps around St. Mark's.

I'm gonna jump in here and ask about Venice. Our cruise only gives us two nights where we can have dinner and that's in Barcelona before we board the ship and Venice when we finish! Other than TLCOhio's post all I've heard anything about is the tourist traps around St. Mark's.

When I've been in Venice, I've found that there are good restaurants, and affordable restaurants, but not much overlap between the two. Since I won't pay the eye-watering prices of the top restaurants, the food I've enjoyed the most is cicchetti, the Venetian equivalent of tapas offered with wine in many of the bars in the evenings. Especially anything involving salt cod. It may not sound that tempting, but the Venetians have a real way with it.

When I've been in Venice, I've found that there are good restaurants, and affordable restaurants, but not much overlap between the two. Since I won't pay the eye-watering prices of the top restaurants, the food I've enjoyed the most is cicchetti, the Venetian equivalent of tapas offered with wine in many of the bars in the evenings. Especially anything involving salt cod. It may not sound that tempting, but the Venetians have a real way with it.

Love tapas style. . Would try salt cod. . I like to eat what best in the region

Love tapas style. . Would try salt cod. . I like to eat what best in the region

I like your enthusiasm, and the way you're looking forward trying everything. I am sure you will have a fabulous time, and I think your biggest challenge is going to be how to fit in six meals every day so that you can taste all the things! :D

I like your enthusiasm, and the way you're looking forward trying everything. I am sure you will have a fabulous time, and I think your biggest challenge is going to be how to fit in six meals every day so that you can taste all the things! :D

Haha... I totally agree. I just can't wait I'm dieting now just so i can eat my way through Italy and Greece and Turkey 5 months from now.

Anything at St Mark's is over the top expensive. Wander the walkways back to the Rialto bridge. We found many with a great menu, very reasonable prices and wonderful food.

When in Venice have the cocktail of Venice, a spritz. Rosso Pomodoro Venezia is where we ate. It's located near St Marco. Nothing fancy but good. Make sure to order a spritz or two before leaving Venice. ImageUploadedByForums1460448579.962372.jpg.02971f33f3feeb2d320a533c96277b01.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1460448547.530198.jpg.d5fd39e13e82aa2ac1272f61d951281d.jpg

When in Venice have the cocktail of Venice, a spritz. Rosso Pomodoro Venezia is where we ate. It's located near St Marco. Nothing fancy but good. Make sure to order a spritz or two before leaving Venice. [ATTACH]382591[/ATTACH][ATTACH]382592[/ATTACH]

I agree with the Spritz, love them. We discovered on Burano at lunch. Had some of the best fresh fish on Burano...they bring the fresh fish for you to choose, 30 minutes later a feast!