Cabin location advice?

OceanPatter

Being new to river cruising, wondering if there is a difference in the cabin location on a given deck. We're considering a Crystal Bach cruise in 2017, where cabins are available at the very forward and stern. Would any of these be subject to engine noise or other disadvantages? Or is it best to be 'mid-ship?' Thanks for any guidance.

The Crystal river ships are a brand-new design and unlike most other river ships is several ways. Normally the cabins are stacked in the aft while public rooms are stacked in the fore half -- so you always have cabins above and below (except the top deck of cabins, which has the sun deck above). On Crystal Bach, deck 2 is entirely cabins and deck 3 is entirely public rooms -- so you need to pay attention to what is above you, and guess whether it will be a source of noise. It's also possible that the engines will create vibration for the rear-most cabins -- since these ships haven't sailed yet, no one can answer that at this time. Until we start getting reviews from these ships it's going to be hard to give cabin advice.

I agree with Jazz that any input we have is based on generalizations since these boats are not yet sailing.

IME the midship cabins are higher priced and sometimes worth the premium if you are sensitive to noise, as I am.

We also learned that we prefer not to be on the highest passenger deck due to noise from the top deck (crew, furniture being moved, joggers, etc.)

We once had the last aft cabin on an Avalon boat and experienced quite a bit of vibration.

My personal preference is a stateroom slightly forward of mid ship on the "in between" passenger deck.

Edited by caviargal

We always go for the cheapest cabins available, since we spend very little time there.

On the Russian river cruise, we had a cabin close to the anchor (at the bow of the ship) and the Captain had to drop the anchor at 3am, which woke us up. However, some of our friends with cabins near the aft did not hear the anchor drop.

It was only one night that happened and otherwise our cabin near the bow was not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Our preference (personal and subjective) is a balcony cabin, mid level and slightly foreward. I like to take spontaneous photos and this level and position seems to work out best for us

I'm with Dan....I'm claustrophobic and a lower cabin without a french balcony would make me miserable. We always take the french balcony (not a real balcony, just a sliding door sized window that opens so you can lean out but not stand on it) for that reason and for the photo ops. We usually go for the upper deck, but if you're sensitive to noise you might keep that in mind because you DO hear people on the running track both at 11 p.m. and at 6 a.m. as well as any maintenance the crew is doing. It doesn't bother me, but I fall into a coma at night. :D

Our preference (personal and subjective) is a balcony cabin, mid level and slightly foreward. I like to take spontaneous photos and this level and position seems to work out best for us

Ditto here. Although the majority of the people here seem to say they go for smallest and least expensive since they spend little time in the cabin, we found that we loved escaping to our cabin once in awhile and just watching the riverside go by as we watched from our bed. We've only been on one cruise and were thankful we booked an upper cabin with a balcony. We loved the fresh air (and were fortunate that the weather cooperated). We also never heard a peep from any activity above us. (I imagine this has a lot to do with the particular design and layout of the boat you are on.) For our next cruise we'll be in the same general location on the boat but decided to spring for a suite.