A Celebrity Constellation Christmas Cruise!

bhambamacruiser

The Celebrity Constellation exceeded our expectations! This was our first cruise on Celebrity. It was a wonderful cruise with my family during the Christmas holiday. Our family just sailed on Holland America in March 2015 and had a wonderful time. We are big HAL fans and wanted to sail them again, but this 5-night cruise fit our family’s schedule best. I heard great things about Celebrity before sailing with them. We were not disappointed. Our family has previously sailed on Princess (2x), Royal Caribbean (1x) and Carnival (1x) (we won’t cruise Carnival ever again).

I tend to read many of the reviews on travel websites before making decisions, especially on Cruise Critic. I am fortunate to have traveled extensively my entire life. My family considers ourselves to be well-traveled, so we understand travel comes with both good and bad moments. I’m reminded when I read poor reviews and negative comments that many times those are from travelers who have unrealistic expectations or are not seasoned travelers who are unable to appreciate the true adventure of travel.

We parked the car and arrived in Terminal 4 around 11:45 a.m. We were finished with the embarkation by 12:20 p.m. and onboard quickly. Nice to have a glass of champagne as you entered the Grand Foyer. Very nice atmosphere upon arrival. The cabins were not ready, so we went straight to the Oceanview Café. They announced the cabins were ready around 1:00 p.m.

The Celebrity Constellation, “Connie”, is a beautiful ship that is very well maintained! The ship is elegant and sophisticated. The Constellation feels like a luxurious, classic, smaller, and traditional ship. The foyer is beautiful and included special holiday décor. There were several public areas decorated for the holidays. Christmas music played all over the ship, including in the buffet. You didn’t forget it was the holidays! The public spaces were always immaculate. The elevators were quick and clean. I was pleased to see how well the crew maintained the public areas and dining spaces considering this sailing was sold out with many families onboard. The pool area was cleaned constantly by attentive pool butlers, including Christian. He worked extremely hard each day making the area enjoyable to relax.

The crowd was very diverse. This was a holiday cruise, so there were many families onboard. The clientele was chic and well dressed. It is clear Celebrity, like Holland America, caters to a more educated and well-traveled clientele. Very stylish set of passengers. The captain is WONDERFUL! He is engaging, personable, and funny! He was present at public functions and took time to meet and greet guests. It is clear the crew responds to his management style. The crew was always polite and spoke to you. The crew was very, very helpful and kind. No attitudes. The captain and crew made this holiday cruise special for all the passengers.

We were in cabins 9162 and 9160 in the Concierge Class. These are both aft cabins. We’ve never sailed in an aft cabin before. WOW! They were amazing. The views were spectacular and the large balconies were an unexpected surprise. We thoroughly enjoyed our balcony the entire cruise. The best Concierge benefits were the canapés (we just asked for cheese and crackers), sparking wine upon departure in your cabin, special tote bag, and the option to wait for disembarking in the Cellars Master. I know there are a few other benefits, but not sure how much I would be willing to pay for them. We booked this cruise two weeks before we sailed. Travel agent snatched up these two cabins since few cabins were left. I would say book Concierge Class to have access to the aft cabins. We recommend staying in aft cabins on levels 8 or 7 to avoid some of the noise from the Sunset Bar. There was some noise in the mornings and late afternoons of chairs moving, but it wasn’t excessive or disruptive. We actually enjoyed the afternoon live music in the Sunset Bar, especially at sail aways. You could sit on your balcony and enjoy the music. The cabin was spacious. The bathroom was a nice size, including a good size shower. The pullout sofa bed was not as comfortable as HAL. The linens were nice. Lots of storage and plenty of closet space. Our cabin stewards were Darkham and Nickola. They were incredible and very, very helpful! Two of the best we have had cruising. The cabins were always clean. The stewards were kind to honor requests for ice and shoe shine services. Fresh fruit was also in the cabin each day.

We ate only in the MDR for dinner. The specialty restaurants seemed almost empty the entire trip. We chose Select Dining. Celebrity just initiated “evening chic” that allows passengers to decide how best to dress on the “dress up” night. It was nice to not have to worry about a tie, but most passengers were dressed well each night. Evening chic had a range from dress shirts and slacks for men and dresses for women to even a few tuxes and cocktail dresses. Most people were in smart, business casual.

We enjoyed Cedric and Angel as our headwaiters at different tables in the MDR. Olga was an amazing assistant waitress and was one of the best we have ever had on a cruise. She and Angel both remembered our special requests the next night we dined with them. The MDR hostesses were very helpful and pleasant; despite stressful times helping guests with reservations. Roxana was so nice and cheerful each time we arrived at the MDR. The MDR manager was attentive and even made his rounds with the executive chef one evening. The food was very good. Again, the bad reviews you see seem to be from passengers I believe don’t have realistic food expectations for large dining experiences. The food always was well-presented, good temperatures, and delicious. We had one slow service night, but the other nights were great. Not every meal was 5 stars, but overall we were pleased with the food in MDR. When we didn’t order room service for breakfast, we ate in the Oceanview Café. It was always nice and clean. Very attentive crew. Buffet has lots of food options. The hot food options at lunch were always delicious and varied. Good ice cream and cookies! Burgers by the pool were not good.

The entertainment on the Constellation was good. The production quality was professional, but a couple of singers struggled. Peter Fisk (guitarist) and Flying Colors Duo (singer & guitarist) were great musicians. We enjoyed a special holiday production on Christmas Eve afternoon that included a special singing from the kids in the Fun Factory. Santa even made a special appearance on Christmas morning! He paraded down the ship from the basketball court to the theater with a jazz band leading the way. The movie Elf was shown on Christmas Day around 2 p.m. in in the theater. We enjoyed Kathleen and the Saints in the Rendezvous lounge and enjoyed watching the dancers. The band even dedicated one night to Christmas music. Rendezvous is also one of the few places to have happy hour (4-6 p.m. and 10 p.m.-Midnight). Best wine price at happy hour was $5.00 vs. $9.00 for comparable wine at other bars.

The pools were nice and usually full. There were plenty of chairs. The Sky Deck on the bow of the ship has a wonderful view and tends to be a nice and quiet spot. There are also nice chairs and sofas in the pool and solarium areas. They go quickly, but usually have plenty of openings late afternoon. The pool always had music, including live music or a special DJ. Not too loud, but gave the atmosphere a fun vibe and kept it “chic”. The DJs on the ship did a nice job, especially with music in the foyer in the evenings.

The Reflections Lounge has a TERRIFIC view, but very underutilized during the day. We spent an hour or so during our days at sea playing card games there, but no one was there. The lounge is a fun spot at night for special group games and dancing. The library was nice, but small and not utilized much. The spa has lots of options, including the wonderful Persian Gardens ($79 cruise pass). The Solarium is very nice. Pool is hot, but relaxing and quiet. The fitness center was a good size with a few classes. The Café al Biaco was also a good spot to get some coffee and relax.

There is plenty to do onboard. The daily list of activities is varied and diverse. Lots to do. Even a family member of ours, who needs to have lots of activity, was easily entertained. There was a variety of evening entertainment for the family and even a few adult only events late in the evening with comedians and an acrobatics routine. The acrobats were featured in several of the evening shows. They were AMAZING! We never made trivia or the scavenger hunt, but other guests seemed to enjoy them.

I need to commend Celebrity for offering a non-denominational Christmas Eve service and a Midnight Mass. The non-denominational service started at 10:30 p.m. and held in a large conference room. It was standing room only. Very nice service and made it a special Christmas Eve for our family. It was nice to not have to sacrifice our holiday service tradition onboard. Celebrity really did a great job making you feel the Christmas spirit. A small crew went caroling around the ship the evening of December 23. There was a large Christmas caroling sing-along in the Grand Foyer on Christmas Eve. It was packed full of passengers and crew signing. Very, very fun and a nice holiday touch. Everyone needs to experience Christmas at sea and in the warm, sunny, beautiful Caribbean!

We did the 3.5-4.0 hour Cozumel island tour and the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio. It was ok. Guide was good and informative. Comfortable bus ride. Tour included a random stop at a Mayan chocolate location. Nice people. Very touristy. We did our own excursion in Key West. We bought the Old Town Trolley Tour to ride around the key and see the Southernmost Point and other Key West sites. Go to Kermit’s and purchase key lime pie on a stick!

Sadly, our cruise did make an unplanned stop off the coast of Cancun due to a passenger illness that we later learned resulted in his death. We left Cozumel around 5:00 p.m. The announcement was made around 10:00 p.m. we were turning back to go to Cancun. The captain was very professional about the situation and made sure our cruise was not interrupted. That also meant we encountered some rough conditions as the captain moved the ship quickly to help the passenger and then to help us make up time to not interrupt our Christmas Day in Key West. So sad for the passenger’s family, especially during the holidays.

On disembarkation day, we left our room at 8:30 a.m. to go and wait in the Cellar Masters lounge (Concierge Class dedicated waiting area). They had coffee, tea, juice, and some pastries. We ate in the Oceanview Café prior to coming to the lounge. They announced all non-Celebrity transfers could disembark around 9:00 a.m. We left shortly after around 9:10 a.m. and were in our car around 9:50 a.m. Very easy, especially since we had an immigration process at Key West before sailing to Ft. Lauderdale.

Our family will definitely sail Celebrity again. We found ourselves comparing Celebrity to HAL. There are pros and cons to each. I will add a forum posting to offer those comparisons. We still prefer HAL overall, but we have narrowed our cruise preferences down to two cruise lines – HAL and Celebrity. They are the absolute best. Very comparable experiences with service as a top priority. It is clear Celebrity is focused on a high quality experience. We thank them for making our family’s 2015 Christmas one to remember!

IMG_3357.jpg.f249f823eed859e3d6b4ab88bb753ebd.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg.e6e70104207d322a2af844e0df217a57.jpg

Thank you for your review. I am sailing on the 4 night cruise beginning December 31st. I have also chosen Select Dining. What time did you dine each night? Did you attend the early show, then eat? Or eat first then attend the late show? Was there sushi on the buffet? If yes, what time?

My initial intention is to have sushi and a drink before the 7:00 show. Then attend the show followed by Select Dining in the MDR at 8:30. After that hang out in a bar and listen to a comedian, live band, dj, etc.

I have purchased the Classic Beverage package. What is your opinion?

I have traveled extensively including a river cruise in Europe, a river cruise in Egypt, various large and medium ships including Regent, RCCL, NCL, Princess and Carnival. I am not critical and have enjoyed all trips.

Any advice and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

The Connie is our first and favorite Celebrity ship. How about those elevators with the ocean view!

Your experiences mirror ours on board any and all Celebrity ships. All of our cruises on Celebrity have been outstanding. Have never tried HAL because of their smoking policy.

thanks and Happy New Year

Was there sushi on the buffet? If yes, what time?

Sushi is at the buffet from 4pm to 5pm (as I recall) I like it but it is just mediocre.

After that hang out in a bar and listen to a comedian, live band, dj, etc.

Lets of bars and music to choose from. You will find the vibe you like.

I have purchased the Classic Beverage package. What is your opinion?

About 2 dozen different cocktails plus non-premium beer and wine. Works for me.

various large and medium ships including Regent, RCCL, NCL, Princess and Carnival. I am not critical and have enjoyed all trips.

Not as luxurious as Regent, but Celebrity is better than the rest in my opinion.

Thank you, El Crucero. What is your opinion of early show then 8:30 Select Dining dinner? Is 8:30 a good time for after the show especially knowing that set seating time is also 8:30. Should I set my time for 8:15 or 8:45? Or is it better to eat at 7:30 and attend the 9:00 show?

Thank you, El Crucero. What is your opinion of early show then 8:30 Select Dining dinner? Is 8:30 a good time for after the show especially knowing that set seating time is also 8:30. Should I set my time for 8:15 or 8:45? Or is it better to eat at 7:30 and attend the 9:00 show?

We always select early fixed seating and then go to the late show. We like eating at a fixed table for each dinner so we can get to know other cruisers on the ship. We have made very good friends at dinner and continue to cruise with some of them when we can arrange mutual schedules.

With regards to my comments on the Classic beverage package, I was only referring to alcohol and my list was incomplete. Classic also includes, champagne and aperitifs as well as specialty coffees and espressos, bottled waters, soft drinks, and more. Check the Celebrity website for a complete list. We would never pay $55 per day p/p because we don't drink enough to justify the cost, but when it is part of a "free" promotion, we enjoy it tremendously.

The Celebrity Constellation exceeded our expectations! This was our first cruise on Celebrity... I heard great things about Celebrity before sailing with them. We were not disappointed.

We were on Connie for the December 17-21 cruise to Key West and Nassau, in Concierge Class on Deck 7. Our thoughts are similar to yours. I was quite impressed with the ship's condition, especially considering her age. The only area of wear we detected was the carpeting. Full marks for the service and the food (with a couple of clinkers, but there are always those), and particularly the entertainment. I didn't think Concierge Class was worth much of a premium over standard balcony; I'd book it again, but only if the price was right.

We're booked on Millie for an Alaska cruise in May, in one of the newer cabins on Deck 3 with oversized portholes (converted from conference rooms). December was a trial run, as we had never cruised with Celebrity. If we had hated it, we were in time to cancel our May booking. No way! We're looking forward to it.

We were on Connie for the December 17-21 cruise to Key West and Nassau, in Concierge Class on Deck 7. Our thoughts are similar to yours. I was quite impressed with the ship's condition, especially considering her age. The only area of wear we detected was the carpeting. Full marks for the service and the food (with a couple of clinkers, but there are always those), and particularly the entertainment. I didn't think Concierge Class was worth much of a premium over standard balcony; I'd book it again, but only if the price was right.

We're booked on Millie for an Alaska cruise in May, in one of the newer cabins on Deck 3 with oversized portholes (converted from conference rooms). December was a trial run, as we had never cruised with Celebrity. If we had hated it, we were in time to cancel our May booking. No way! We're looking forward to it.

We have one of these oversized porthole cabins for our TA in April. I am so excited. Our Christmas cruise was in an inside.

OP a wonderful review of your experiences on The Connie. We are booked for our 3rd and 4th Connie cruise in Feb. 2016 and are looking forward to great cruises. I am constantly amazed at the cleanliness of Celebrity ships and always stop and thank the cleaners/polishers when I see them. They take their jobs so seriously and smile from ear to ear when you stop and speak to them. So glad you had a great Holiday cruise.

What an enjoyable review...thank you for postng it.

sounds much like our excellent Connie 5 day last Jan...very happy and well managed ship

This is the Celebrty we love. Hope other ships in the fleet follow the same path.

Edited by hcat