Have to Cancel - Need Advice (please no flaming)

IMSAILING

Unfortunatey my husband and I are separating. We have been on 9 Carnival cruises in 10 years. We are booked on the Vista for a Euro cruise for this October and will not be going. This was the first time we booked early saver. We were going to purchase insurance through Carnival in January - but we didn't get that far.

Now we need to cancel and of course we are locked into the rules of an Early Saver Rate.

This is small in the scheme of everything else that is going on - but has anyone ever heard of getting a refund, of course with penalty, on an early saver rate ?

You're far enough out that you would only lose a deposit. But maybe you can find someone to go with you and pay the "change fee". Sometimes, they will waive that if you speak to a nice PVP....some will, some won't. But it's worth a try?

Heck, i'd still go if I were you. Don't let a divorce ruin your vacation... I made Platinum on my Divorce cruise!! Of course mine was already paid off, but still decided not to let it ruin my life any more.

Since you are on the early saver rate, I believe you just lose $50/pp, and the rest of your deposit goes into an account to use on a later cruise.. (within a year or two)

Best to call Carnival... they will tell you for sure, instead of listening to us with 50 different answers!

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/early-saver/terms.aspx

Edited by poison7fl

It's really sad that this is happening. I'm truly sorry for you and yours.

Perhaps you can turn it into a celebration with a close girlfriend of yours. There is nothing like the hot, Caribbean sun and a frou-frou drink to put things into perspective for you.

Good luck! :)

Unfortunatey my husband and I are separating. We have been on 9 Carnival cruises in 10 years. We are booked on the Vista for a Euro cruise for this October and will not be going. This was the first time we booked early saver. We were going to purchase insurance through Carnival in January - but we didn't get that far.

Now we need to cancel and of course we are locked into the rules of an Early Saver Rate.

This is small in the scheme of everything else that is going on - but has anyone ever heard of getting a refund, of course with penalty, on an early saver rate ?

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Carnival Early Saver rules state:

"A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. Remaining funds are nonrefundable/nontransferable and will be held as a future cruise credit to be applied to your cruise fare on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Unused portions are forfeited."

The change fee is to change to a different ship/sail date and not to change the person traveling. Perhaps you could work it out to use the future cruise credit within 24 months.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/early-saver/terms.aspx

Edited by winddawn

Even if you had VPP trip insurance thru Carnival, there would be no cash reimbursement or refund for a cancellation due to a divorce. The VPP would provide a 75% Future Cruise Credit as part of the Cancel For Any Reason clause.

Name changes aren't allowed on early saver fares, so you can't remove your husband's name and add someone else for a fee.

You are right, she can't. But she can transfer her portion of the deposit (less the $50 penalty) over to a new booking. To the OP: that's what I would do. Get a girlfriend or friends and plan a girls getaway to someplace warm and sunny.

Sorry to hear about your situation..divorce sucks..that's a huge investment of time and love over the years. I say see if you can transfer your portion to a booking of your own and go enjoy yourself. You have a lot of stress right now...have something to look forward to hon...