Summit Foodie Question

bman3122

Been a few years since I cruised on the Summit. Does Celebrity (Summit) still serve Sushi in the late afternoon near the back of the ship? Also, is Smoked Salmon/bagels served at the breakfast buffet in the Ocean Grill?

Still trying to figure out which is the best of the specialty restaurants to try. Is/will the Normandie still be open for the Jan 9th sailing?

Thanks to all who may reply....

The Summit dry dock is at the end of February so Normandie will be open.

Yes to bagels and smoked salmon although they may not be adjacent to each other on both sides of the Oceanview in the morning.

The sushi and sashimi were still available when we were on the Summit in December. It's quite popular so don't see it being eliminated as they constantly juggle the Oceanview offerings.

Also, is Smoked Salmon/bagels served at the breakfast buffet in the Ocean Grill?

If you want to call them bagels because they're round with a hole, some people might. However after having eaten real bagels throughout my entire life, I consider these plain "Lender" type of probably frozen/thawed to be faux bagels.

I sailed Summit in September 2015.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

If you want to call them bagels because they're round with a hole, some people might. However after having eaten real bagels throughout my entire life, I consider these plain "Lender" type of probably frozen/thawed to be faux bagels.

I sailed Summit in September 2015.

Funny....that's exactly how I describe the bagels :) The sushi is consistent in that there is little flavor to the rice which should be vinegared (note: the word sushi actually means "vinegared rice"), the nori is never crisp (should be heated briefly) just before using and serving) and the (cooked) eel, when served as a topping, is never warm.

I eat both and enjoy them for what they are....but there is a big difference between what Celebrity serves and good bagels and sushi.

What time do they begin serving sushi at the back of the Oceanview Cafe on Summit? Do they still have the miso soup too? We board on the 16th, so we are interested in knowing. We begin our happy hour at the Elite lounge (or choose another venue) at 5:00pm. A glass of wine with sushi on the back deck sounds good to us! :D

What time do they begin serving sushi at the back of the Oceanview Cafe on Summit? Do they still have the miso soup too? We board on the 16th, so we are interested in knowing. We begin our happy hour at the Elite lounge (or choose another venue) at 5:00pm. A glass of wine with sushi on the back deck sounds good to us! :D

Opening time is now 6pm for sushi.

Thanks for the feedback...Looking forward to our cruise and good eats.......Not expecting bagels like I grew up with in Brooklyn/Queens, but something to share with my Smoked Salmon.....Thanks again.....

OMG Brooklyn bagels!!!!!!!!! They're the bestest.

Watch out for the hamburgers at the pool grill. They precook (aka over cook) them and then let them sit in a pan of water until you wander up. They were tasteless. But the fries were great!

So the next time I waited until they were cooking a new batch of burgers. However they wouldn't let me have one until it was way overcooked. I kept asking but they kept refusing. They cured me of wanting another burger. :eek:

At least that was my experience on the Summit in September.

OMG Brooklyn bagels!!!!!!!!! They're the bestest.

Watch out for the hamburgers at the pool grill. They precook (aka over cook) them and then let them sit in a pan of water until you wander up. They were tasteless. But the fries were great!

So the next time I waited until they were cooking a new batch of burgers. However they wouldn't let me have one until it was way overcooked. I kept asking but they kept refusing. They cured me of wanting another burger. :eek:

At least that was my experience on the Summit in September.

However, even though they overcook them which they claim is required by the health department (probably true, by the way), they are much better if you get one directly off the grill (you can also ask for a cheeseburger directly off the grill)....and this also applies to the waffles in the buffet which you should ask for directly out of the waffle maker rather than taking from the pan.

this also applies to the waffles in the buffet which you should ask for directly out of the waffle maker rather than taking from the pan.

Ditto! :)

Edited by Texed

Sushi has always been open at 5:30. It was on our Oct cruise and the other 4 cruises we gave taken on the Summit. If it has changed to 6 it is a very recent change. I would check.

Champagne Cruiser, thanks. I hope this is the case. 5:00pm would even be better, but 5:30pm is certainly better than 6:00pm. We don't like to have wine on an empty stomach. We usually have to settle for the Elite lounge appetizers, but for this cruise, we have a drink package. We are even thinking about having a sushi and miso soup dinner versus just sushi as appetizers. We used to go often for the sushi when we had traditional dining at 5:30pm (or was it 6:00pm?) until they changed sushi from 5:00pm to 5:30pm. For this cruise, I booked Select dining for 6:15pm, so there is hope we can get there if they open at 5:30pm versus 6:00pm.

Sushi has always been open at 5:30. It was on our Oct cruise and the other 4 cruises we gave taken on the Summit. If it has changed to 6 it is a very recent change. I would check.

I was on the same Equinox cruise (December 11, 2016) as ghstudio, and I'm pretty sure that the sushi was served at 6:00 pm, because I particularly noticed the change. However, I don't know if this was the case every night. I'll check my Celebrity Todays and see if this time was consistent throughout the cruise.

ghstudio....sorry we did not get to meet you on this cruise. :(

Thanks, elena7seas, for taking the time to do this; please don't do if too much trouble though. We'll (dh and I and the OP) be on the Summit though. Could it be different times for Summit versus Equinox? We will be on the Equinox in April/May though, so your information would still be valuable when you have time to check.

Thanks, elena7seas, for taking the time to do this; please don't do if too much trouble though. We'll (dh and I and the OP) be on the Summit though. Could it be different times for Summit versus Equinox? We will be on the Equinox in April/May though, so your information would still be valuable when you have time to check.

HI Kathy:

If I can find my cruise paperwork easily! :):):) We arrived home from the Equinox at 2:00 am on December 22, and I have to say that I cleaned up our laundry and suitcases with more speed than attention to detail. I'm not sure where everything landed in my haste to get ready for Christmas Eve!!

I'll try in the morning!!

To answer your question, yes, things can vary from ship to ship, and even on the same ship, from sailing to sailing. This just keeps us from getting too rigid!!

I was on the same Equinox cruise (December 11, 2016) as ghstudio, and I'm pretty sure that the sushi was served at 6:00 pm, because I particularly noticed the change. However, I don't know if this was the case every night. I'll check my Celebrity Todays and see if this time was consistent throughout the cruise.

ghstudio....sorry we did not get to meet you on this cruise. :(

It was 6pm every night. I don't know if this was just for the equinox, just for this cruise or a permanent change coming from HQ, perhaps as a cost saving. I recall Sushi opening at 5 or 5:30 on prior cruises.

HI Kathy:

If I can find my cruise paperwork easily! :):):) We arrived home from the Equinox at 2:00 am on December 22, and I have to say that I cleaned up our laundry and suitcases with more speed than attention to detail. I'm not sure where everything landed in my haste to get ready for Christmas Eve!!

I'll try in the morning!!

Eileen, no hurry, don't trouble yourself. You know where to find me here or elsewhere. lol. We don't go on Equinox until April. ghstudio indicated 6pm each evening on Equinox. We'll be settled in at the Elite lounge by then, which is at the opposite end and a very windy and chilly (TA cruise) walk to the Oceanview Cafe (aft).

Thanks, ghstudio, elena7seas, and Champagne Cruiser for sushi information on Summit and Equinox.

I'll report in 1.5 to 2 weeks from Summit if the OP (their cruise is right before ours) has not reported meanwhile.