Formal Dining Dress Code Enforcement - Lack Thereof

IndyKid

I am not comfortable with cruise lines enforcing a dress code. P&O and Cunard do this and it puts you off from choosing them.

The problem is that on the recent I and my group dressed up but not many others did. It meant that we stuck out and I actually had to go back and change after dinner.

To that extent I am disappointed with the effort others made on formal night. Perhaps RCI need to ditch formal nights or indicate it as optional.

I think its already clear that its optional - its suggested dress (per the compass and cruise documents) not a dress code.

Speaking of vacation, do you think you will walk into a 5 star restaurant during your vacation? I don't think so because they will kick you out till come in nicely.

All the 5-star restaurants I know are more concerned with taking your money than how you are dressed. So long as you are dressed tidily they are always happy to accept your cash.

Speaking of vacation, do you think you will walk into a 5 star restaurant during your vacation? I don't think so because they will kick you out till come in nicely. That the idea of getting dress. It like going to wedding party. Have fun getting dress. be nice with other. You only wearing it for two hours. Show your Pride!!! I hate being formal, but i don't mind it because i need a change in my appearance and want to look nice. Yo Op i am sure she pressured you because she don't want to see you like a slob.

Sorry but going out to dinner is not like going to a wedding! Maybe some pretentious restaurants might insist on people dressing in a certain way but being pretentious doesn't mean that you are a 5* establishment. I would think that most quality restaurants request that their clientele appear in clean and smart attire and not necessarily dressed up like a dogs dinner. It may be different in the USA but in in Europe money doesn't equal class and many people who are considered as upper class, just dress normally when they go out to dinner. It's often those who are trying to impress others who insist on "dressing up" for dinner. It's simply eating a meal for crying out loud!! And anyway, the restaurants on the majority of cruise ships are not 5* but it all depends on what you are used to.

I just sailed on the Allure of the Seas and got home less than a week ago. I personally enjoy dressing in formal wear (a nice dress, heels, jewelry, etc) on formal nights. My husband did wear a tux for both formal nights during the week. I don't care if others choose not to dress up for formal night. That is their option. I do not let what other people wear diminish my treat of dressing up and enjoying a formal evening. I don't think other passengers should be refused entry to the dining room for not dressing up. The majority still do dress formally.

• 1 year later...
Ok, time for me to stir the pot a little and vent also. I see a lot of folks in this forum who've been cruising for years so I'd like to see what they have to say about it.

Last year I went on my very first cruise. Took the Radiance OTS to Alaska. This was my first cruise, so I didn't know what to expect. Needless to say I enjoyed it immensely. The only fly in the ointment (actually more like a hornet) was what is referred to as "Formal" night in the dining room. I was part of a extended family group, of which included my sister-in-law and her husband, who are experienced cruisers. When she informed me of the dress requirements for dinner on these nights I was extremely upset. I feel that I'm on a vacation, not a business trip. After raising several levels of hell (and my blood pressure) over it, I relented and packed my suit along with a couple dress shirts and tie. :(

When the time came, I dutifully put on my suit, dress shoes & shirt, and a tie along with the rest of my party and walked down to the dining room. There were a lot of other folks also in their "Sunday Best". But I also saw a lot of others dressed little better than beach bums who were also allowed to enter and be seated. Needless to say I was about to come unglued! I felt like I'd been played for a fool!:mad: I guess the staff didn't have the gonads to say anything to these folks.

If anyone from RCCL management (current or former)monitors this forum, I'd love to hear what they have to say!

All of the "Mass Market" lines have abandoned any dress codes. Not sure why the staff does not put all of the undressed clients in one corner. That is a bit of a mystery. Makes no sense. You could go naked on Carnival

All of the "Mass Market" lines have abandoned any dress codes. Not sure why the staff does not put all of the undressed clients in one corner. That is a bit of a mystery. Makes no sense. You could go naked on Carnival

That falls under SPECIALTY cruising. ;p

Don’t knock it till you’re tried it. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk