Travel wallet

GreenGuyJ

So wise pickpocketers reading this will know to pick front pockets!

We keep our valuables inside our clothes in hidden pockets. When it is cooler we use Scottevests which have great inside pockets and have the added advantage of being great to load up with bits and pieces before taking off to go through airport security.

My hubby nearly got pickpocked in Athens on the subway. He had his hand in his front pocket with the wallet and someone asked him the time. He realized what was happening just in time to slap away the hand reaching into his pocket. He has learned his lesson.

I bought my husband a nylon wallet with a Velcro closure. It has a sturdy belt loop on it so that when it is placed over the belt it can be placed down the front of his pants. It is easy for him to get it out ( well, he's a man so it took a little practice) and since it stays anchored to his belt, nobody can rip it away from him while he is getting money out.

He also carries some easily accessible small bills in his pocket---only about fifteen dollars so it would be no sad loss if they were to be stolen.

I got the wallet in a travel store and it washes well.

https://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/secret-hidden-sliding-belt-loop-wallet.html#/product/1103

Edited by sapper1

If you use one of those money pouches with a cord to hang around your neck and worn under your clothes ...... don't try to stash cash in it and go thru TSA security with it under your clothing. I did that a few years ago when I was enroute to Europe for a cruise and was carrying a bunch of Euros as well as USD. I got pulled out of line when I came out of the scanner because something "suspicious" was showing up on the screen. I was taken to a booth and patted down and my luggage searched. I was not at all offended by the process, but was disappointed that it was no longer possible to hide some of my funds on my person, rather than all of it having to go thru the scanner with my luggage, where, remotely possible I know, someone could walk away with my tote bag or carry-on before I could get to it.

So be aware and save your around-the-neck under-the-clothes money pouch usage for places other than the airport TSA screening area.

I'm considering buying a travel wallet that you hang from your neck. It recommends wearing it under your shirt, but that will be very obvious. Do any of you do anything special or just carry a regular wallet like you normally would. I know you have to be cautious of pickpockets...

Are you cruising in Europe or the Caribbean? In large European cites pickpockets are a slight risk, but not in the Caribbean, or AK, or Hawaii.

DH always did that too... until he got his money clip pick-pocketed from his FRONT pocket by a Gypsy in Rome. He never thought anyone could get into his front pocket... he was wrong. He can now say that he's been pick-pocketed by the best. :rolleyes:

DD was an invited guest to a Roma camp in Rome. Even there their host told everyone to be on their guard.

A thick rubber band (like from asparagus) can make it more difficult.

Look for an RFID one. The neck wallets can also be worn 'bandoleer' style across the body.

I often use" Vertex Phantom Ops" pants when off ship. The hidden zippered pocket(s) conceal ID card, ship's pass, MedJet Assist card, and credit card in one pocket and a small amount of cash in the other. Each pocket is large enough to hold a passport if one is required to be taken off the ship.

The pants look good, are really tough, and very comfortable!

Usually, our Passports and all other important papers are locked up in the room safe.