Travel wallet

GreenGuyJ

I'm considering buying a travel wallet that you hang from your neck. It recommends wearing it under your shirt, but that will be very obvious. Do any of you do anything special or just carry a regular wallet like you normally would. I know you have to be cautious of pickpockets...

My husband and I use a travel wallet that goes around your waist. It is under your pants and does not show. Believe me, my pants are tight enough they couldn't get to it without me knowing. We also carry small bills for incidentals, like a coffee or gelato. We also use a travel documents holder that goes around your neck for boarding passes, passport and ID when going through airports and boarding the ship. This is just so much easier, since we always have our hands full of coats and hand luggage.

Margee

I'm considering buying a travel wallet that you hang from your neck. It recommends wearing it under your shirt, but that will be very obvious. Do any of you do anything special or just carry a regular wallet like you normally would. I know you have to be cautious of pickpockets...

When shopping for your travel wallet, you might also use the terms "passport wallet". Since you maybe worried about pickpockets, look for items that are leather since they will not be as easily removed as those with a slick cover.

I spent hours looking for the right one only to find exactly what I was looking for in an overlooked dresser drawer. I think I'd received it at a business meeting. Amazon.com had a ton of them.

Personally, I find the passport wallet very useful for travel to the ship. It's great for holding all the necessary items to board the ship, passports, ID's, a credit card, set sail passes, etc.

Once aboard, I put the passport wallet and regular wallet in the safe. I use a money clip to hold a small amount of cash, a credit card, and the ship's pass. We have passports and passport cards so the passport card goes there too if we're leaving the ship. This goes into the front pocket. IOW, there's nothing there that I cannot afford to lose. The good stuff, other credit cards, passports, ID's, and most of the cash is in the safe.

When I leave the ship I use a small RFID wallet that fits in my front pants pocket. I only carry a photo I.D., one credit card and a little bit of money (small bills). I never wear jewelry. I use my cell phone (which fits in my other front pants pocket) as my camera. My seapass card is on a lanyard around my neck which I put underneath my shirt. If we're having a beach day I carry a backpack with beach items. I also have a waterproof "case" you wear around your neck for your valuables when in the water.

When I leave the ship I use a small RFID wallet that fits in my front pants pocket. I only carry a photo I.D., one credit card and a little bit of money (small bills). I never wear jewelry. I use my cell phone (which fits in my other front pants pocket) as my camera. My seapass card is on a lanyard around my neck which I put underneath my shirt. If we're having a beach day I carry a backpack with beach items. I also have a waterproof "case" you wear around your neck for your valuables when in the water.

The waterproof around the neck thingy is great. If you are doing a beach day or a strenuous excursion with water involved, I won't take alot of extras as noted above and instead of my cell phone i will take a cheap waterproof camera. I'm on vacation I don't want the hassle of losing/having stuff stolen if I can't have constant contact with it

I never carry a wallet. I always carry a money clip and it goes in my front pocket. I do this whether on a Cruise or not.

DH always did that too... until he got his money clip pick-pocketed from his FRONT pocket by a Gypsy in Rome. He never thought anyone could get into his front pocket... he was wrong. He can now say that he's been pick-pocketed by the best. :rolleyes:

there is a product out there called pacsafe. look it up on the internet. We use them when we travel. they are anti-theft, RFID protected, purses, wallets and other bags. they have a wire inserted in the material or chain that have special locks that make it almost impossible for them to steal them or steal information.

there is a product out there called pacsafe. look it up on the internet. We use them when we travel. they are anti-theft, RFID protected, purses, wallets and other bags. they have a wire inserted in the material or chain that have special locks that make it almost impossible for them to steal them or steal information.
That's what i recommend.

http://www.pacsafe.com/

Edited by FLACRUISER99

It is very, very, unlikely that you need RFID protection. The new 'chip' credit cards are not RFID cards. The passports do use RFID technology but must be opened to be accessible.

Depends where I am going. In Europe, for ports like Barcelona and Rome where there are pickpockets I recommend a travel belt under your pants. In the Caribbean you don't need anything special.

WITZ Waterproof Passport Locker-check amazon

Simple and water tight. Mine is similar and holds room key, ID, credit card and a few twenties when off of ship. This model is slim, so if you want more than just the minimal approach, they sell larger ones.

We don't take much ashore, but when we go ashore, we just carry our stuff as we always do. In the Caribbean, that's sufficient. In some European countries, you might need sneakier means...but the Caribbean doesn't have the pickpockets like Europe does.

DH always did that too... until he got his money clip pick-pocketed from his FRONT pocket by a Gypsy in Rome. He never thought anyone could get into his front pocket... he was wrong. He can now say that he's been pick-pocketed by the best. :rolleyes:

Anything is possible. I guess that would fall into the category never say never. The chances of that happening are a whole lot less than having a wallet in your back pocket.

DH has used the front pocket wallet method for years. Sometimes, he'll twist the pocket lining around the wallet making it harder to get at.

I've used the under the clothing method several times. I prefer silk pockets, because they don't irritate my skin. We also have been known to use Scottevest, and putting the money, passports inside the pocket. We will often put a coat over it in cold weather climates. Or hang a shoulder bag over it in hot weather climate. It's really annoying to have to get undressed to buy something though. I do keep a few bills for easy access.

I've also been known to carry a decoy purse w/ a few bills in high crime areas. But lately, we just stay on the ship.

Another thing to be careful with would be expensive cameras. Mine is always in my hand(s) unless I need to grab a railing. And get a camera strap that doesn't advertise your camera brand. Though in my case, my R-Strap may advertise it too. But hopefully, the street thugs won't recognize it.

Just a word of warning. Daddy used to have the under the arm pocket, and each time we reached a check point, he had to take off his shirt to get to the passports.

DH has also used the leather money belt for years. He sticks a few bills in it and that's his emergency stash. Keep in mind, you need to fold the bills. And recently, I came across a third of a $20 bill, because it had been folded then split w/ the zipper, I'm guessing.

You didn't say if you were male or female, but for women I use the Flip Belt

It was originally marketed to runners, but can be used for travel as well as everyday use.

https://flipbelt.com/?utm_expid=82991416-0.Iv9mg7l2TXyrQ38zpLpj9A.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

That's what I was going to recommend! Amazon.com sells a variety of them.

Edited by NMLady

Most tourists don't pay enough attention to those around them because tourists are predictably engrossed in the sights that they've come to see. Pickpockets on the other hand have seen the sights and are instead interested in looking at you ;). Long short, pay attention to your surroundings and try not to act or look like the stereotype tourist. A ships boarding card dangling from your neck pretty much says, 'choose me, choose me'. Carry what you need and preferably nothing more. Look confident, use common sense in crowded areas and yes, maybe choose some of the theft deterring items showcased in this thread and stop [over] worrying about becoming a theft statistic. Enjoy the sights.