Allure - Izumi Hibachi or Samba Grill

We are sailing on the Allure next month for our DD's senior trip. We were looking to do one specialty dinner, and based on what she likes, the two places that would be most appealing to her would be Izumi Hibachi (not sushi) or Samba Grill.

I've never been to either, so I would be curious if anyone had any pros or cons about either place...

Edited by fletch1027

We haven't tried Samba yet but our one experience at Ixpzumi was not great. The show was certainly entertaining but be found the food to be extremely salty. It may very well have been just a bad night but that one experience will stop us from booking it again. Looking forward to trying Samba in March.

We did the hibaci experience on Allure's transatlantic this past October/November. Possibly the best food I had on the entire cruise. We also went to Samba and were very disappointed. The portions of meat they give you are small (for instance 1 lamb chop and you know how big those aren't) plus you have to get your own appetizer, salad and dessert. As far as we were concerned it came close to being a rip-off. Please note on the hibaci experience when you reserve they charge you $30.00 but when you get to the restaurant it is an extra $5.00 for a combo meal (chicken and steak for instance.) Still was excellent and I highly recommend it!

These two restaurants are very different experiences. It depends upon what your dd likes. Does she want a fun chef who puts on a show and she will share the dining experience with others at the same table or would she prefer the quiet atmosphere of Samba with nine courses of meat? We booked both restaurants in November and had outstanding service at both, but Izumi was my favorite hands down. I would not go back to Samba only because I have BTDT and that much meat was way beyond what I could consume.

We did the hibaci experience on Allure's transatlantic this past October/November. Possibly the best food I had on the entire cruise. We also went to Samba and were very disappointed. The portions of meat they give you are small (for instance 1 lamb chop and you know how big those aren't) plus you have to get your own appetizer, salad and dessert. As far as we were concerned it came close to being a rip-off. Please note on the hibaci experience when you reserve they charge you $30.00 but when you get to the restaurant it is an extra $5.00 for a combo meal (chicken and steak for instance.) Still was excellent and I highly recommend it!

Samba Grill is no different then any other Brazilian Steakhouse. The cuts of meat are small so you can enjoy more of them. They will keep serving you till you change from Green to Red. So if 1 Lamb Chop was not enough, ask for another it shouldn't be an issue. As far as getting your own Appitizers, that is again the same at most Brazilian Steakhouse. I thought it was very good but the rest of my family wasn't used to it.

Samba Grill is no different then any other Brazilian Steakhouse. The cuts of meat are small so you can enjoy more of them. They will keep serving you till you change from Green to Red. So if 1 Lamb Chop was not enough, ask for another it shouldn't be an issue. As far as getting your own Appitizers, that is again the same at most Brazilian Steakhouse. I thought it was very good but the rest of my family wasn't used to it.

My wife and I really enjoyed both the food and service in Samba Grill. We've now gone there twice.

Even the appetizers and deserts have a good selection...so the variety of food (and taste) made for a wonderful experience. We would absolutely go again.

We only went to Izumi once, and the food was "OK" and service "so-so".

As someone else said...comparing these is tough, as they are completely different from each other. Given the choice...it would absolutely be Samba Grill.

Thanks for the feedback so far. She is a fan of both styles, so she would love either. From what I've read so far, it seems like (when comparing to what is available at home) Izumi is more of an above average hibachi place than Samba is a Brazilian Steakhouse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hibachi show has no flames/fire in the show, compared to most land based shows. The chef still puts on a good show. If that makes a difference to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I went to both on my Allure cruise in November.

Izumi hibachi was a lot of fun. If she has been to a hibachi restaurant in the past then she will know what to expect. The food was very good and the chefs were personable and entertaining. Service was very good as well and we had a good time. If you're in a big group, I think it would be more fun. It was just two of us at our table, and a quiet couple, and the other reservation cancelled, so it was a little quiet and awkward. But the table next to us had a full house and they were having a lot of fun, so there you go. :)

Samba was kind of an opposite experience. First off, I didn't enjoy the location, it didn't feel like a steak house to me. I really disliked seeing people get in and out of the hot tub right next door to where I was having a nice dinner.

Then, I'm familiar with the concept of a churrascuria, but did not expect the buffet-style appetizer and salad bar.

The service was only ok. The gaucho was wonderful, we liked him a lot. But the other servers were a bit inattentive.

Lastly, I enjoy steak and meat in general, but it was SO MUCH MEAT. I wanted to try everything but my goodness. And trust me I can EAT! But was too much for me! I think next time (if there is a next time) I will skip the appetizer bar.

So many of my points on Samba might be one offs or personal to my preference, but I probably would not return. I would not hesitate to book Izumi again though, that was great. :)

The hibachi show has no flames/fire in the show, compared to most land based shows. The chef still puts on a good show. If that makes a difference to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Indeed.

Since we frequent Japanese hibachi places on land perhaps once/month or so...we felt Izumi was just "OK" - nothing bad...but nothing special.

Samba Grill was more of an "experience" based on the variety, decor, location on the ship, and near-never-ending quantities of food to choose from. The appetizers and desserts were especially a nice surprise, in terms of the selection.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

It has been a number of years since I was on Allure and ate at Samba but I seem to recall that they had something of a "show" as well. I recall dancing women all decked out in Carnivale attire and some fun and upbeat music. I rather enjoyed that.

As far as the "meat overload" goes, I fully agree. They will try and fill you up with lower cuts of meat and other goodies so resist the urge to eat "a little of everything". Hold out for the best cuts, which are served last...by design....the picanha and alcatra are the last to be served. Next time I go (which will be in Feb.) I will insist on the picanha up front or, if they insist that I wait, I will forego all of the lower cuts and save myself for the best cuts !

It has been a number of years since I was on Allure and ate at Samba but I seem to recall that they had something of a "show" as well. I recall dancing women all decked out in Carnivale attire and some fun and upbeat music. I rather enjoyed that.!

I think this has changed. There was no show on our cruise when we ate at Samba. It was a very quiet atmosphere and the restaurant was only 25% full. Our reservations were at 6:30 on a formal night and the Solarium hot tubs were empty. As one poster stated, I also would not have been thrilled to eat next to people who were in the hot tub.

We cruised in December and tried Samba. I will agree the location was a bit odd but the food tasted awesome. We were really disappointed we left it for the last night because we likely would have eaten there a few more times during the week.

I went to both on my Allure cruise in November.

Izumi hibachi was a lot of fun. If she has been to a hibachi restaurant in the past then she will know what to expect. The food was very good and the chefs were personable and entertaining. Service was very good as well and we had a good time. If you're in a big group, I think it would be more fun. It was just two of us at our table, and a quiet couple, and the other reservation cancelled, so it was a little quiet and awkward. But the table next to us had a full house and they were having a lot of fun, so there you go. :)

Samba was kind of an opposite experience. First off, I didn't enjoy the location, it didn't feel like a steak house to me. I really disliked seeing people get in and out of the hot tub right next door to where I was having a nice dinner.

Then, I'm familiar with the concept of a churrascuria, but did not expect the buffet-style appetizer and salad bar.

The service was only ok. The gaucho was wonderful, we liked him a lot. But the other servers were a bit inattentive.

Lastly, I enjoy steak and meat in general, but it was SO MUCH MEAT. I wanted to try everything but my goodness. And trust me I can EAT! But was too much for me! I think next time (if there is a next time) I will skip the appetizer bar.

So many of my points on Samba might be one offs or personal to my preference, but I probably would not return. I would not hesitate to book Izumi again though, that was great. :)

I've been to places like Fogo de Chao a bunch of times and they are the same way in regards to self-serve apps & salad. On the largest cruise ship in the world, it's too bad they couldn't find a permanent location for a specialty restaurant as opposed to using a piece of the solarium. Hot tubs and meat do not go together well... :(

I've been to places like Fogo de Chao a bunch of times and they are the same way in regards to self-serve apps & salad. On the largest cruise ship in the world, it's too bad they couldn't find a permanent location for a specialty restaurant as opposed to using a piece of the solarium. Hot tubs and meat do not go together well... :(

That's really not quite accurate. We were on Allure, and the entrance is on the side of the Solarium area and IS a permanent location - no where near any hot tubs. Yes you can see them from the restaurant...but otherwise...the nice view of the seas adds to the experience.

The Hot tubs are not right next to the Solarium Bistro windows. There are some chairs and a walkway inbetween. We didn't find it to be a problem. There are only a few tables right next to the window and plenty of others within the restaurant area. For the evening meal the lights are dimmed, covers are put on the chairs and tablecloths on the table. We enjoyed the dinner and ambiance and look forward to dining there again.

I really don't find the hot tubs at all intrusive plus at dinner time very few people are using them. They do a nice job dressing up the place with table cloths, covering the furniture, etc.

If you've ever been to Fogo de Chao or any land based Brazilian steak place you're bound to be somewhat disappointed. However as this is about 1/2 the price of those, so it is to be somewhat expected. The meat is great though and we all agreed last week that the several of the cuts far surpassed anything at Chops.

Izumi is really about the fun of it all. Great show and the food is excellent.

One thing I might consider is how many people are in your party. If it is just two, I might veer more towards Samba. However if it is a larger group then Izumi would be good. It would be strange, for me, to be seated at a table of 10 with another family. Both times I've seen smaller groups feel a little out of place because they were sat with a much larger party which kind of makes you feel like you're intruding on their dinner.