Any suggestions for possible Queasy stomachs ??

Kahhli

Hi All

My DH and I are taking our first cruise on 10/24 with the Fascination.

Im a bit nervous that a Queasy stomach would take the fun out of things.

I also tend to get very sleepy from over the counter meds that contain the warning "May cause drowsiness" ..

Any suggestions on what would be best to take to keep the stomach calm but yet wont put me in a drunken like stupor ??

Not that drunken like stupors cant be fun sometimes but hey I would like to get there by myself ! ;)

I use ginger very often as a stomach-calmative, and I hear that it's great for motion sickness. We're going to get some ginger chewing gum and some ginger capsules (like vitamins) to take with us on the ship.

Good luck!

I like Bonine. Doesn't make me tired like Dramamine does. I never got seasick/dizzy (or car-sickness) at all until experiencing a stroke at age 40. The stroke was prescription medicine induced so I am VERY careful about any meds I take. But, I have never had an issue with Bonine.

Congrats on your first cruise! Hope you absolutely love it!!

When we were on the Victory, we were eating lunch in the aft dining room and were seated by a window. The seas were somewhat rough, and the waves were higher than usual. My daughter (who was 12 at the time) turned green at the table and had to leave. I gave her Bonine, and it calmed her stomach down pretty quickly and it didn't make here sleepy. Needlesss to say, she refused to eat back there even when the ship was docked. Good thing we were in the forward dining room for our dinner assignment. :)

Happy cruising,

Gayle

Eat some saltine crackers and never look at the waves, just fix your eyes on a steady object, out to sea it would be the horizon. If you have to tender to the port from the ship, again dont look at the water but at a fiixed object on land and stay away from the boat engine smoke, gas fumes is what gets me sick.

Thanks all :)

Ok so Bonine and Ginger is the plan then !!

Good plan! I have used Bonine in the past and it worked for me. On my last cruise a friend turned me on to ginger and it worked great.

Another vote for Bonine and Ginger- but start taking it a day or two before the cruise. AND a day or 2 when you get home to keep the house from rocking and rolling- which can really be a problem!! Hate post cruise sea-sickness too!

Another tip that works for me- don't get on the tender (or any other sight-seeing type boat) until it is ready to pull away! The sitting for 10-20 minutes rocking and rolling while it gets a full load puts me over the sea-sick edge! I always stand on the dock or stay on the ship in the doorway and tell the crew that I will get on LAST as the boat is ready ro pull away. Haven't had a problem with anyone once I explain- they would prefer that I don't get sick on their boat! :)

Happy cruising!!

Sue

Hi All

My DH and I are taking our first cruise on 10/24 with the Fascination.

Im a bit nervous that a Queasy stomach would take the fun out of things.

I also tend to get very sleepy from over the counter meds that contain the warning "May cause drowsiness" ..

Any suggestions on what would be best to take to keep the stomach calm but yet wont put me in a drunken like stupor ??

Not that drunken like stupors cant be fun sometimes but hey I would like to get there by myself ! ;)

I am the exact same way.... I got a prescription for antivery from my doctor and it worked like a charm. No drowsiness at all, and no seasickness either.

I agree 100% with ginger capsules. I sucked on crystalized ginger all through my pregnancies for morning sickness, but it never occured to me to try it on a cruise till I came across this board. For our cruise this past March, DH and I started taking 2 capsules in the AM and two in the PM about three days before the cruise and kept taking them throughout the cruise. No seasickness, even when several other people on our tender in Grand Cayman were puking over the side!

Question when taking either Bonine and Ginger can you still have drinks or will you have to not drink adult beverages while taking either or both of these.

I don't know about Bonine (OTC meds make me muzzy, even "non-drowsey" ones) but I know it's fine to drink while taking ginger. I did plenty of it on my last cruise! ;)

Question when taking either Bonine and Ginger can you still have drinks or will you have to not drink adult beverages while taking either or both of these.

No problem mixing cocktails and ginger. For me there was no problem with the bonine either. Make sure and get the non drowsy version. Also test it out a couple weeks before the cruise to see how it affects you.

I'm the Queen of Motion Sickness. I get sick in the car, even when I'm the driver, roller coasters, movies, airplanes and yes, ships. Bonine works like a charm for me as long as I take it in advance. If I wait until the queasiness has started, it's too late. Once the sickness has settled in, I also find that ginger ale works great to settle the stomach, but it doesn't keep me from getting motion sickness to begin with.

Definitely be prepared! Maybe even with several different things. You would hate to spend your cruise looking green....doesn't do much for the formal pictures, either. ;)

If you are really prone to motion sickness, ginger ale, ginger gum, cookies, etc probably won't help much... they have very little actual ginger in them. Try ginger capsules, you can get them at GNC, cheap!! Take 1000mg at a time, several times a day...

OK...here is a stupid question. Is Bonine an OTC med or do I need a perscription? My wife had her doc call her in a perscription for the patches and she has extras, so I could use that if I chose to.

Although this may sound crazy, try EATING a little something. On our Pride cruise, we were a bit queasy the last day and a crew member told us we should EAT. It was the LAST thing we wanted to do, but we decided to go to dinner, and as soon as we ate some bread we DID feel much better! There is always some type of food available on the ship 24/7. Just stick with something bland ~ I wouldn't go for spicy thai cuisine or something! :rolleyes:

Is Bonine what they have on board? I took whatever they had on board which was called "non drowsy" but it made me really tired and loopy regardless. I hadn't gotten seasick on a cruise before so I wasn't expecting it. But we sailed through a tropical storm that struck outside of hurricane season and things were pretty choppy. I didn't take any more of that medication, just finally got up and had something to eat but I felt tired and strange for several days even though the queasiness passed.

This time I am taking others' advice and bringing ginger capsules! I picked some up at Walmart already so I wouldn't forget about it.

OK...here is a stupid question. Is Bonine an OTC med or do I need a perscription? My wife had her doc call her in a perscription for the patches and she has extras, so I could use that if I chose to.

Yes Bonine is OTC.

My hubby claims to have a fool proof method to motion sickness......eat every 2 hours.

He says if he keeps his belly full there is no room for anything to roll around to make him feel sick........works for him ! ! ! ! !

dondonma

Check with your local pharmacy -- there are these elasticized wristbands that work incredibly well -- my sister used them the last time she cruised and they worked wonders for her. I've seen a number of people with them, and those I've asked swear by them. I'm not completely sure how or why they work . . .

You guys are great !!

Ok .. Bonine , Ginger , Eat , Wristbands, and if needed DRUGS lol

I picked up the Ginger caps today at GNC. I will look for the Bonine tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and tips .

Check with your local pharmacy -- there are these elasticized wristbands that work incredibly well -- my sister used them the last time she cruised and they worked wonders for her. I've seen a number of people with them, and those I've asked swear by them. I'm not completely sure how or why they work . . .

They push on your pressure points... it sounds weird, but my sister used to get car sick just looking at the car when she was younger. These were the only things that worked. I've heard of pregnant women using them to prevent morning sickness as well.

I haven't seen them around lately, but haven't made an honest effort to find them either. I was telling some friends at work about them, and they thought I was crazy, but they really do work!!

Archived