Sounds dumb, but how does Oceania's included air work?

hiccups

We're considering one of the last-minute deal cruises on Oceania, and I wondered about the included air. For our other cruises, my DH and I have flown in on the day of departure, and people have told us we're nuts to do that. Now that we're in a location without direct flights, we probably book flights that arrive the day before departure.

I would assume Oceania books passengers on the day of departure, but what happens in the event of a flight delay?

There are no guarantees that you will make the ship. In the event of a flight delay, you are responsible to catch up to the ship. Oceania will reimburse any costs you have to do so. If you wish to arrive earlier than the day of departure, or want to stay after the day of arrival, you can arrange a flight deviation to do so. There is a cost,$175.00 per person.

The free air is more accurately "included air", so if you choose to make your own arrangements, you'll be due a credit back from Oceania. Credit amounts will vary by cruise.

For those using Oceania Air, strictly as they offer it, travel must take place on Embarkation/ Disembarkation Days, however there is a third option.

If one uses the "Air Deviation" program, travelling on alternate days again becomes an option, and the passenger gets a say in the Airline and specific flight arrangements. Passengers who decide to deviate are given flight options for their desired dates and times until they come to a meeting of the minds with Oceania. At this point, a non refundable fee of $175pp is triggered. Additional costs and or fee's (if any!) are the responsibility of the passenger, but those are disclosed during the negotiation process, so nothing is a surprise.

Naturally, Oceania has a vested interest in taking care of their guests in the event of an Air delay, but the terms and conditions of the Air program relieves them of any true liability, so when you are decision making, keep that in mind ;-)

Edited by StanandJim

There are no guarantees that you will make the ship. In the event of a flight delay, you are responsible to catch up to the ship. Oceania will reimburse any costs you have to do so. If you wish to arrive earlier than the day of departure, or want to stay after the day of arrival, you can arrange a flight deviation to do so. There is a cost,$175.00 per person.

Most of what you say is true altho they only "may" reimburse the costs to catch up to the ship but, no guarantee on that. The passenger is responsible to be at the dock on time not withstanding Oceania made your flight reservations. Check out the T's and C's where they state that they are only acting as an agent and are not responsible for your flights or any delays. In the past there are reports of Oceania taking care of flight problems but, not guaranteed.

Also, O generally finds the least expensive way to get you to the ship so direct or non-stop flights are not guaranteed. Possible to have multi-stop and red-eye flights depending on your city and the departure port and sometimes non-stop. They will book you to arrive on the day of embarkation.

Hope this works out and you have a great cruise.

I am only aware of one time on all of our 12 or so Oceania cruises where people who used O's air on the day of departure did NOT get to the ship on time but that was a confluence of events that made the Captain's decision understandable.

We were leaving Costa Rica for a Panama Canal cruise. Weather was very bad in the northeast and some flights did not get there on time. The Captain decided not to wait for them because we would have lost our slot going through the Canal. He wasn't interested in having a night-time crossing. (I can hear the anguished screams now had that happened.)

I never found out exactly where these people caught up to us or how extra costs were handled. On that itinerary we had a sea day, the Canal, two more sea days (we were supposed to have a port of call at San Blas but high seas made that impossible since San Blas is a tender port) and then Aruba. It's highly possible they weren't able to catch the ship until Aruba.

Another argument for coming in at least one day early, especially in the winter time.

Mura

We found that we could book our direct flights for less than the price Oceania was adding on for the air. Also, we are flying in a day earlier, so we save even more without having to pay that deviation fee x 2. :eek:

We found that we could book our direct flights for less than the price Oceania was adding on for the air. Also, we are flying in a day earlier, so we save even more without having to pay that deviation fee x 2. :eek:

I'd been checking prices for other cruises and can't find decent airfare so we'd probably be better with Oceania. Prices were at least $500 PP from Ohio to the cruise airports, which is ridiculous!

Also saw that the cabin prices dropped even more this afternoon, yay! We're looking at a veranda cabin on the Riviera's 3/13/16 sailing.

Yeah, booking at this late date, you will do better with taking the Oceania air, even if that means a "rough routed" flight. Looks like your Oceania air ad-on is $350 pp. I based that on your flying out of CMH, but probably the same for anywhere near you. ;)

If you have to pay $500 more or less when purchasing the flights yourself, you will be saving around $100-$150 pp going with Oceania air. ;) Now, having said that, it may be worth it to you to buy rather than going with Oceania. I'd find out the routing first. That is, if you can find a direct flight from your hometown area. DH and I will pay an extra $200 and up per ticket to avoid having to drive anywhere or having to make more than one plane change. However, if you have more than two people, paying less or driving may make more sense.

Edited by Iamthesea

Yeah, booking at this late date, you will do better with taking the Oceania air, even if that means a "rough routed" flight. Looks like your Oceania air ad-on is $350 pp. I based that on your flying out of CMH, but probably the same for anywhere near you. ;)

If you have to pay $500 more or less when purchasing the flights yourself, you will be saving around $100-$150 pp going with Oceania air. ;) Now, having said that, it may be worth it to you to buy rather than going with Oceania. I'd find out the routing first. That is, if you can find a direct flight from your hometown area. DH and I will pay an extra $200 and up per ticket to avoid having to drive anywhere or having to make more than one plane change. However, if you have more than two people, paying less or driving may make more sense.

I haven't found anything direct. Well, no, Allegiant is direct but we'd have to add days on either end of the trip and the price is still over $400, so not worth it. This is a case where Oceania might be able to find us a better flight than I can find myself!

We did have a TA quote us a very low cabin rate without air, but he priced add-on air from CVG--guess he wasn't paying attention!

Edited by hiccups

Hi

We have paid the deviation and sometimes up charges to get the flights and carrier we wanted

Once we were given a list of accepted carriers

that didn't include our favorites

We have also booked on our own or asked our TA to suggest flights

Most of the time Oceania options with the deviation fee worked

Best to check and compare options

We really dislike red-eye flights and tight connections

We normally take O air with the deviation because flying from the frozen north can be a problem sometimes ;)

my advice

fly in a day or more early,

Find the flights you want ask your TA to submit them to O

pay the deviation fee

also compare prices to what you can book on your own

then you can make an informed decision

but do fly in a day early

Even a thunderstorm in the summer can shut down airports :D

been there, done that ..thankfully we were heading home