Our Epic first time cruise- photo review- 3rd Jan Canaries/Spain

SquishTheWhale

Hi guys, sorry I haven't replied to the last few posts, I've not been on CC lately!

Thank you so much for your kind words Kanecruzer :)

okaytaco, we used Barcelona Day Tours and I would highly reccomend them. They seem to be the most reccomended tour company over on the Spain/Europe boards as well so it's not just me! I found they gave us a great overview in a short time, and much more information and insight than we could have achieved just touring on our own.

boobschein, there is a bar on deck 18- I think it might actually be situated in the beach club area as I never actually saw it! However there was often waiters hovering around asking if you wanted a drink, and I got them to fill up my pepsi cup a few times. If you wanted something to eat you can just pop down in the lifts to the buffet- I saw quite a few people bringing food up.

Hi we've just got back from our cruise on the Epic and have had a brilliant time! Thank you once again for your blog it's being really helpful .

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Squish, I just wanted to thank you again for your informative and fun review! I got back from my cruise last week and I must say it was one of the best ever! You were mentioned a few times by a couple members of the roll call who had also found your review to be very helpful. :D How about that? Cruise Critic fame! LOL.

Warm Regards,

QC

CC fame! I love it lol. I'm so glad you had a wonderful cruise- maybe you can write a review and help me re-live it all?? It seems like such a long time ago now :(

I was thinking I might, but third day back at work and I'm already entrenched. I'll see if I can make the commitment--like you, I don't write just a line or two when I do a review. :) This one's definitely worthy of the time it would take! :D

We climbed up to the top of the stairs, and then accidently broke into the spa, which is where it eventually leads to. In my defence, there may be a 'crew only' sign on the spa side of the door, but there certainly isn't one on the staircase side. It comes out on the spa balcony:

24293316171_7b9f55da2e_z.jpg

I knew they were doing spa tours as it was embarkation day so I thought we'd just play it cool and blend in with the others checking out the spa. Unfortunately, there was only a couple of people around and they immediately asked us what we were doing and where we came from. Busted! :eek:

I admitted that we kind of broke in, which didn't go down particularly well. I then tried to make amends by gushing about how much we wanted to see the spa facilities, so we then had to put up with a 20 minute tour and hard sell of a spa pass. Phew. We escaped with our lives (and money) and exited through the changing rooms. I took a few sneaky snaps as there was nobody around:

Spa changing room

24080193150_1afd37a5cf_z.jpg

Womens sauna with cool floor to ceiling windows

23748973323_23201454a4_z.jpg

Nice Elemis toiletries

24293292981_734c5bcd9d_z.jpg

Towels and robes

24080177180_bf3f26b6d2_z.jpg

The spa was lovely but we couldn't justify the cost really. We resolved to try and get a day pass on a port day, as we weren't planning to get off the ship in Morocco. I'd also have liked to try a spa treatment but at 4x the cost of what I would pay at home, again I couldn't justify it. They did do some decent specials later in the week, but even then they were still 2x the usual price!

We are booked on the Epic in February 2017 and I'm curious as to the cost of the spa pass for the week. I originally booked a spa balcony, but downgraded to an inside and will buy the spa pass once onboard. Huge savings!!

We are booked on the Epic in February 2017 and I'm curious as to the cost of the spa pass for the week. I originally booked a spa balcony, but downgraded to an inside and will buy the spa pass once onboard. Huge savings!!

For the 10-day sailing the spa pass was $159 if purchased before sailing. Once on board, I believe it was $179.

I'm always unsure about the rules on here, but I'll post it and see if it gets deleted! I use HolidayExtras to book my hotel and parking at airports- you always get the best deal and their service is great. If you find the money saving expert website page about airport parking (it will come up if you Google just that), they have a special link to Holiday Extras which gives you extra discount.

I actually messed up this booking- I booked the hotel for the night after we fly, not the night before! As it was a non refundable non changeable booking I was kicking myself, but I rang them and they changed it for me no problem! Phew lol. And for my upcoming trip in September, their hotel and parking deal was about £100 cheaper than booking them separately.

I'm always unsure about the rules on here, but I'll post it and see if it gets deleted! I use HolidayExtras to book my hotel and parking at airports- you always get the best deal and their service is great. If you find the money saving expert website page about airport parking (it will come up if you Google just that), they have a special link to Holiday Extras which gives you extra discount.

I actually messed up this booking- I booked the hotel for the night after we fly, not the night before! As it was a non refundable non changeable booking I was kicking myself, but I rang them and they changed it for me no problem! Phew lol. And for my upcoming trip in September, their hotel and parking deal was about £100 cheaper than booking them separately.

Hi

Also we have used Park and Go they too are very good.

• 1 month later...
After the captain made the announcement I realised that it was 8 (opening time), and still holding out a vain hope for a spa day pass we called the spa. It was a big fat nope, it seems they were treating it as a sea day so no day passes available. Oh well, maybe they wouldn't have had any even if we had docked!

There was also an announcement from Jill the cruise director (who we found pretty annoying, she always turned up on stage at the end of the shows and did the same jokes and it seemed like she was trying to take credit for the show herself) that a new daily with added activities and amended dining times would be available soon. (soon turned out to be about 12)

F wanted me to come to the gym with him and I gave in. We go 3 times a week at home but it's not something I enjoy while he loves it! Going away is normally a great excuse not to go, so damn you Epic and your free gym! :rolleyes:

The gym is great but it was hot as balls (can I say that on here?). I don't know if it was hot because it was busy or if the staff just love the heating cranked up, but after about half an hour I was dying- despite the lovely cold towels they keep in fridges. I soldiered on for a while but the heat was actually making me feel pretty faint, so eventually I ducked out. F tells me it wasn't as hot any other day, but it made an excellent excuse for me never to return :D

Hi Squish,

I wonder if you noticed if the locker rooms/changing rooms in the gym had showers? I am curious if showers are available in the gym area or just in the spa for a fee.

Thanks for the great review!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I loved your review. My family and I have only been on one cruise before and it was on RC's Allure. We loved the ship but I really wanted to try Norwegian. We are cruising on the Epic next Feb out of Florida. The kids can't wait to use the water slides.(they will be 13 & 15). They were asking if the Epic had mini golf and I saw on one of your dailies that they do. I hope the soups are the same when we go :)

Thank you, I loved your review. My family and I have only been on one cruise before and it was on RC's Allure. We loved the ship but I really wanted to try Norwegian. We are cruising on the Epic next Feb out of Florida. The kids can't wait to use the water slides.(they will be 13 & 15). They were asking if the Epic had mini golf and I saw on one of your dailies that they do. I hope the soups are the same when we go :)

I think it's a splashgolf mini golf, http://www.adventureandfun.com/194/splashgolf-water-mini-golf, installed during the recent dry dock. Epic does not have a mini golf course like Royal or the NCL Away/Escape class ships have.

The slides on Epic are great, belonging to the best at sea!

Sorry I just saw your post! :)

FreestyleNovice is right in that it's 'splash mini golf'. I never saw anyone playing- probably because it was a bit cold to be getting wet most days! Either way it's not exactly big so not sure how much fun it would be. Not talking down the Epic here, just don't want you to get the kids too excited!

Hi Squish,

Since you had occasion to get familiar with the gym area, I wonder if you noticed if the locker rooms/changing rooms in the gym had showers? I am curious if showers are available in the gym area or just in the spa for a fee.

Some of my travel mates would like to know and I am hoping to get a first hand report on a very small detail that is hard to find by other means!

Thanks for the great review!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've just spent several hours (on and off) reading the whole thread and have loved the combination of personal stories and handy hints. You've helped convince me to book for the same itinerary (minus Madeira) for Easter 2017. We lost our "cruise virginity" on the Epic last October and loved it.

While we had a balcony last year, we are going for an inside and spending the savings on spa passes. We used the spa everyday last time and it was worth every penny.

You've also inspired me to write a review next time! It is great to read all the tips and I'll be collating them ahead of the trip.

Good luck with the wedding, Squish and F!

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

Thank you for the last couple of comments which I should have replied to- I'm really glad you enjoyed reading!

I just wanted to say that despite my closing comments of 'we aren't planning to cruise again soon' I have just booked a Caribbean cruise on the Escape for the second half of our Honeymoon in Oct 2017! So tune in then for part 2 ;)

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Hello all!

Thank you for the last couple of comments which I should have replied to- I'm really glad you enjoyed reading!

I just wanted to say that despite my closing comments of 'we aren't planning to cruise again soon' I have just booked a Caribbean cruise on the Escape for the second half of our Honeymoon in Oct 2017! So tune in then for part 2 ;)

Thanks for this great review. It will be a great help gor our transatlantic cruise leaving Barcelona Oct. 28/2016. Looking forward to your next review!

Thanks for the great review, we've done 2 Epic cruises and have the TA booked for October and April. Loved you positive attitude and glass half full approach to cruising and life.

I noticed you didn't mention the Cavern and the Beatles shows? Are they still offered? Our last cruise they were packed every night.

Even after 2 trips I didn't realize Shanghais was free for lunch and dinner. Or that Moderno often has lunch. I guess we get stuck in the rut of doing what we like and don't look for something new to try. I've made notes on all of these for the TA.

The secret sundeck is not so secret on a TA. So many repeat cruisers on those that many people have already discovered the secrets. Still we never have trouble getting a lounger in the sun or the shade (when we've had too much sun, lol).

Thanks again and good luck with the wedding plans.

Tony and Debbie

Thanks for the great review, we've done 2 Epic cruises and have the TA booked for October and April. Loved you positive attitude and glass half full approach to cruising and life.

I noticed you didn't mention the Cavern and the Beatles shows? Are they still offered? Our last cruise they were packed every night.

Even after 2 trips I didn't realize Shanghais was free for lunch and dinner. Or that Moderno often has lunch. I guess we get stuck in the rut of doing what we like and don't look for something new to try. I've made notes on all of these for the TA.

The secret sundeck is not so secret on a TA. So many repeat cruisers on those that many people have already discovered the secrets. Still we never have trouble getting a lounger in the sun or the shade (when we've had too much sun, lol).

Thanks again and good luck with the wedding plans.

Tony and Debbie

Thanks for the comments :) shame the secret sun deck is the worst kept secret on the ship during the TA! But as long as you can get a bed up there that's the main thing. I'm a little concerned about how crowded the decks will be during our Escape cruise seeing as it's a hot weather cruise unlike the Epic. But we will have a balcony this time (an angled one no less!) so I can always retreat there. On your TA you must do the Moderno mexican lunch buffet if they offer it. It's the one meal F has never stopped talking about from the cruise. I don't dare tell him that I don't think they do it on the Escape or he might refuse to go haha. My one big food regret is that we never did the Indian one- but I don't really want a curry for Lunch so although it was offered twice we didn't go. Wish we had!

We did actually poke our heads into the cavern club for the Beatles show a couple of times but it was just as you say- packed! So we normally retreated to Howl at the Moon where you could normally get a seat and a drink without too much trouble. From what I heard of the Beatles they sounded pretty good though.

Thanks for this great review. It will be a great help gor our transatlantic cruise leaving Barcelona Oct. 28/2016. Looking forward to your next review!

Well, unless you are boarding in Cannes, you are not on the Epic on October 28th. Because we will still be partaking our western med cruise on that date. [emoji12]

Your transatlantic starts on the 30th. The day we transfer to the Jade for hers. [emoji4]