Acropolis in the late afternoon?

trvlgirlmq

Ok, just throwing this out there and hoping some of the "experts" on Athens touring can assist me!

We are docking in Piraeus June 20 and have an overnight with disembarkation on June 21. We plan to DIY using the X80 bus.

If we could stand the late afternoon temperatures would you think that touring from after lunch time until evening, with the Acropolis left for last, an advisable idea? My thinking is that we would avoid all the bus tours from the cruise line as well as all those doing private excursions and heading there first thing in the morning. If we left the ship around 12/12:30 and went to Syntagma Square making our way to the Agora and then the Acropolis we could be back at the ship for dinner and packing.

Thoughts welcome (even if you tell me I am crazy!).

Ok, just throwing this out there and hoping some of the "experts" on Athens touring can assist me!

We are docking in Piraeus June 20 and have an overnight with disembarkation on June 21. We plan to DIY using the X80 bus.

If we could stand the late afternoon temperatures would you think that touring from after lunch time until evening, with the Acropolis left for last, an advisable idea? My thinking is that we would avoid all the bus tours from the cruise line as well as all those doing private excursions and heading there first thing in the morning. If we left the ship around 12/12:30 and went to Syntagma Square making our way to the Agora and then the Acropolis we could be back at the ship for dinner and packing.

Thoughts welcome (even if you tell me I am crazy!).

The heat will make a west Tennessee summer day feel cool. You need to go first thing in the morning.

At times I have read of the Acropolis site being closed down in the afternoon -- some have said due to overcrowding, some that it is due to excessive heat.

Either way, I wouldn't want to take a chance if it is your only opportunity to see it. Maybe if I were in Athens on a land vacation I might consider getting over there as late as possible (not sure of the site hours), but then I have not been in Athens in the heat of summer -- I tend to go shoulder season.

Go early. It's only around 20-25 euro for a taxi direct from port to Acropolis. Spend as much time as you like at the Acropolis before the crowds and then visit the Agora. Get a nice leisurely lunch somewhere, pop into the Acropolis Museum (which I believe is air conditioned) and then if you've had enough you can head back to the port at your leisure.

Well, sleeping in a bit was a nice idea. Due to budget we have to stick with the bus but we will get there as early as that allows.

The average temps in Athens in late June are in the high 80's. You don't need to decide from now when you are going to get up for sightseeing. You are not planning to reserve any tours. Since you will be using the public buses you can decide at which time you are going the day before. Use a weather app on your phone or a computer (that info is also probably posted aboard) to check the next day's weather. Just have ideas for a couple of alternatives in mind so you can be flexible.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be very wary of going in the afternoon to the Acropolis.

We went first thing in the morning in the first week of June and the temperature was ok. It was not crowded when we arrived but when were leaving after a couple of hours, it got much hotter with no shade available and hordes of people were arriving. It got crowded very quickly and we went by in the afternoon on a tour and it was scorching and even more crowded.

If you want good photos without an army of people, get there as early as you can. Taking a taxi to get there early in the morning is a good investment in my humble opinion given the costs and benefits, especially if you don't know if or when you will be back.

One thing to be cognizant of is where your Cruise Ship docks. The port of Piraeus is huge and bustling. Our ship docked as far away as possible from the Metro Station, a good 45 minute walk. We taxied in the morning and took the Metro back which was fine until we got to the Port itself. It is so busy with all the ferries going to all the Greek Isles. We got lost and actually took a taxi back to the ship as it was so hot and such a long way. Be aware of where you ship docks and if you are taking the Metro back give yourself lots of time.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off a cruise with a stop in Athens. We booked a private tour with Athens Walk. Our tour was from 10-2pm and while it was not crowded at the Parthenon there was enough to make me wonder what it would be like in June when my BIL and his group of 7 tour Greece.

The guide said to tell him to visit all the other sites like the Agora, Olympic Stadium etc. and leave the Parthenon till the afternoon

We were one of only a handful of people in the Agora area.

The entrance fee went from $6eu to $12eu and will be $20eu per person by June.

Edited by lamchops

When we stopped in Athens, we were first (and only) ones off the ship at 630. We hopped on the first X80 bus at 7 for the trip to the Acropolis. It was a nice 10 min stroll towards the main gate. A bonus for going early is you can watch the soldiers parade up the hill to raise the flag. There were prob about 20-25 people when the gates opened. I walked up as quickly as I could and we took all our photos without anyone in them. Then we took the time to look around and take it all in. We spent an hour up there before the tour crowds were finally making their way towards the top. It's definitely worth it to go early. You'll get cooler temps, no crowds, and more time in Athens.