Alcohol prices on Australian based Princess ships.

NSWP

Morning all, with the Dawn /Sun/Sea/Diamond Princesses and soon Emerald Princess having AUD as on board currency and no tipping, has anyone noticed if bar prices, e.g. beer, spirits, wine, cocktails, have risen in price to compensate for the USD/AUD comparison and no 15% gratuity on drinks? Surely they must have.

Edited by NSWP

Morning all, with the Dawn /Sun/Sea/Diamond Princesses and soon Emerald Princess having AUD as on board currency and no tipping, has anyone noticed if drink prices, e.g. beer, spirits, wine, cocktails, have risen in price to compensate for the USD/AUD comparison and no 15% gratuity on drinks? Surely they must have.

In August on Dawn Princess cocktails were around $14, beer $6-8, wine averaged $8 a glass. Very reasonable, I thought.

However I was disappointed in the limited selection and poor quality of some of the wines available, especially by the glass. Perhaps they have cut back using this method now that they are offering drinks packages. On our first cruise, December 2014, we were very impressed by the wine list and the very reasonable prices (eg a very decent premier cru chablis for $66). On the August cruise the wines were nowhere near as good and a much more limited selection, especially of good international wines.

In August on Dawn Princess cocktails were around $14, beer $6-8, wine averaged $8 a glass. Very reasonable, I thought.

However I was disappointed in the limited selection and poor quality of some of the wines available, especially by the glass. Perhaps they have cut back using this method now that they are offering drinks packages. On our first cruise, December 2014, we were very impressed by the wine list and the very reasonable prices (eg a very decent premier cru chablis for $66). On the August cruise the wines were nowhere near as good and a much more limited selection, especially of good international wines.

On Diamond Nov prices pretty similar to above.

On Diamond Nov prices pretty similar to above.

Princess have certainly upped the prices then in AUD to compensate for the 30% difference in USD v AUD and to make up the missing 15% gratuity, the server still gets a commission on the drink sale from within the price. As on the 'American Princess ships' some beers are US$4, e.g. Budweiser, Dos Equis and cocktails from US$9 .

I had better give the 'Boss' some more pocket money then to buy her mohitos on Diamond Princess next Saturday. LOL. And the 17yr 10 month granddaughter a few more centavos to buy her mocktails.

Edited by NSWP

Princess have certainly upped the prices then in AUD to compensate for the 30% difference in USD v AUD and to make up the missing 15% gratuity, the server still gets a commission on the drink sale from within the price. As on the 'American Princess ships' some beers are US$4, e.g. Budweiser, Dos Equis and cocktails from US$9 .

I had better give the 'Boss' some more pocket money then to buy her mohitos on Diamond Princess next Saturday. LOL. And the 17yr 10 month granddaughter a few more centavos to buy her mocktails.

But Uncle Les your US$9 cocktail is (at today's rate) about AUS$13.50 +15% just over $15, so $14 is a good deal.

But Uncle Les your US$9 cocktail is (at today's rate) about AUS$13.50 +15% just over $15, so $14 is a good deal.

Morning Mr GUT, you have made my day old son. Ching, Ching. LOL. Maybe there will be Force 12 gales and 40 foot seas off NZ, so no one on board Diamond will feel like a tipple. LOL.

Gee I am the grim reaper.

Edited by NSWP

Morning Mr GUT, you have made my day old son. Ching, Ching. LOL. Maybe there will be Force 12 gales and 40 foot seas off NZ, so no one on board Diamond will feel like a tipple. LOL.

Gee I am the grim reaper.

Me I loooooove those 40 foot seas.

We had a few rough days, didn't stop many from having a wee dram or two.

Purely medicinal of course, just a few to settle the stomach.:D

Of Course.

One bloke explained that pepper helped his stomach and as he only took pepper on top oh his stout he had to have a few pints each day.

$14 a cocktail, wow - they've definitely calculated the exchange rate and gratuity. (US8.25-US$8.95 was the general price for the one's I ordered).

I learnt yesterday from another thread that the all inclusive drinks package if bought on the main website (not your personalizer) is only $59AUD ***unless princess read this post :mad:*** . If they've bumped up the individual drink prices, but not the drinks package, it's going to make it a lot easier to justify value for money on the all inclusive drinks package (especially when my main use is the 40% of a bottle of veuve clicquot each night)....

$14 a cocktail, wow - they've definitely calculated the exchange rate and gratuity. (US8.25-US$8.95 was the general price for the one's I ordered).

I learnt yesterday from another thread that the all inclusive drinks package if bought on the main website (not your personalizer) is only $59AUD ***unless princess read this post :mad:*** . If they've bumped up the individual drink prices, but not the drinks package, it's going to make it a lot easier to justify value for money on the all inclusive drinks package (especially when my main use is the 40% of a bottle of veuve clicquot each night)....

Although I haven't used it, I understand that the all inclusive drinks package isn't actually 'all inclusive'. I believe it includes drinks below a certain price and I don't believe that will include your favourite tipple. Maybe someone who has used it will be able to give more info.:)

Although I haven't used it, I understand that the all inclusive drinks package isn't actually 'all inclusive'. I believe it includes drinks below a certain price and I don't believe that will include your favourite tipple. Maybe someone who has used it will be able to give more info.:)

Yes on the Australian legs it will be Drinks up to $14. I was going to post separately, but might as well do it here....I'm interested in seeing a drinks price list from a to/from Aussie princess cruise to see what drinks, coctails, wine by the glass etc are included in the "up to $14". Interesting to see if it works out to be the same as the US$ cruises (which is up to $10 by memory).

But a US$9 drink + 15% is US$10.35 is about AUS$15.50 so Aus$14 is pretty good isn't it?

Brother-in-law sailing on The Astor in March this year from Fremantle to England. Alcoholic drinks package $29AUD! I don't think any line can beat that. He's go this:D on his face.

That would almost be worth it for me, but maybe not. Although I suppose I could drink a bit more to get my money's worth. :) We just don't drink enough for the current packages to be worth it.

You think that's expensive?

We did a Celebrity cruise over Christmas. Some cocktails were US $15.50 but they were covered by the Premium package. Not sure what that cost - we had the Classic package as a perk and it cost US $11.80 per day to upgrade.

You think that's expensive?

We did a Celebrity cruise over Christmas. Some cocktails were US $15.50 but they were covered by the Premium package. Not sure what that cost - we had the Classic package as a perk and it cost US $11.80 per day to upgrade.

and with current rates and tips that US$15.50 isnear on $25 AUS:eek:

and with current rates and tips that US$15.50 isnear on $25 AUS:eek:

That price did include the gratuity so not quite that bad.

Drinks prices were very high on Solstice but who cares with a package. I don't even know what the wine prices were as we just told our sommelier what we'd chosen to eat and let him pick the wines for us. They were always good, much better than on Dawn Princess in August. I think we actually got to try some wines that weren't on the Solstice MDR wine list, and there was great variety.

I think our sommelier really enjoyed finding good wines for us to try as most of the others at our table rarely drank wine, only one other did and he stuck to the same red each night. At least we gave him a challenge. ;)

That price did include the gratuity so not quite that bad.

Drinks prices were very high on Solstice but who cares with a package. I don't even know what the wine prices were as we just told our sommelier what we'd chosen to eat and let him pick the wines for us. They were always good, much better than on Dawn Princess in August. I think we actually got to try some wines that weren't on the Solstice MDR wine list, and there was great variety.

I think our sommelier really enjoyed finding good wines for us to try as most of the others at our table rarely drank wine, only one other did and he stuck to the same red each night. At least we gave him a challenge. ;)

Yes when you have a package individual drink prices are irrelevant.

And the sommelier's really seemed to know their jobs and when given the opportunity appeared to relish the challenge of finding something you'd really like.

• 4 months later...

Hi sorry to tag onto your post but maybe you can help me....

I understand that Dawn Princess has an all inclusive drinks package but do they offer another package of say '7 bottles of wine for $x' once you get on board? We will be travelling in August.

We have only travelled with HAL and they have this option.