Never Again! Carnival is the single worst cruise line ever!

hartwickds

Who would travel far from their home area and make large credit card purchases without notifying their credit card company? The fraud prevention software incorporated at most credit card companies looks for things out of the norm. An east coast resident making charges in LA and Mexico is probably out of the norm. If the OP did that every other week, the fraud software would not have a problem as it would be the norm. Once a year, probably will cut you off until you call and explain.

We were told a few years ago by VISA that we no longer need to let them know we are travelling. Haven't done so for about 3 years and have had no issues with the cards at all.

Worst card I've ever had(for traveling)... is the Barclay Carnival Mastercard. I call & tell them I'm going to be traveling out of my home area. I'm told "ok ..we've made a note on your account

Really embarrassing to be at the register(with a long behind me) and be told your card doesn't work. Then I have to call Barclay(while in line) and remind them...again.

I appreciate their fraud protection zeal......but I've called when I've entered a store to make a purchase(and be told..its ok). Then be at the cash register and my transaction is not accepted.

So....I no longer use my Carnival Mastercard while traveling. I use my Capital One Visa...never a problem.

Edited by cruizinator

I have never left the hotel room without checking the weather outside especially the temperature, to see if I need shorts or warmer clothes to get to the ship. If it said 50 degrees I would be dressed accordingly.

He stated he stayed overnight so why wouldn't you check the weather before heading out?

My anger is misdirected when I made a one time payment of $104.65 and Carnival decides to hold onto my visa debit card information and attach it the folio without my permission? I didn't authorize them to touch the card... What don't you get? Then they proceed to charge the visa debit card $604 and $659... And then when they charge that amount they don't release the holds of another $1300 which are in various amounts? Give me a freaky no brake! Carnivals cations are unforgivable and fraudulent

If you had the AMEX card as the designed card to be applied against charges incurred on the ship, and Carnival ran into an issue (hence why you had $104.65 due and you were unable to charge your coffee). Obviously they were seeking an alternate payment method because your AMEX card had been declined.

Did you ask why the $104.65 hadn't been charged to the AMEX card ?? No, instead you proceeded to provide them with an alternate method of payment, and they continued to use that for any additional charges for the remainder of the cruise because your AMEX card was useless.

Should Carnival have offered you the information regarding the AMEX card ? probably, but if you didn't ask and just whipped out another card, then they must have assumed you knew why (over limit, etc). As long as your S&S is being paid, Carnival frankly doesn't care, as long as it is paid.

As for having a lousy cruise...your cruise is what you make of it, and if you went into it with a bad attitude, then it wasn't going to get any better !

I too have waited for a ship (Miracle) in LB, and most of their areas are exterior of a building...however, stating that because you were in an OV on Deck 1 is the reason why you were treated as "less desireable" is ridiculous. You may have status with other lines, but as a new cruiser to Carnival, you were not entitled to Priority boarding; you would board with everyone else except Diamond, Platinum and FTTF guests, who are entitled to Priority boarding.

As you can see in my signature, I have sailed on the Miracle 6 times (63 days onboard), and would book her in a heartbeat if she wasn't on the West Coast. Most of your comments regarding decor, food, etc I find almost laughable. Our waiter(s), if asked, would have replaced anything we found to be unpalatable in a heartbeat, and would have gone above and beyond to ensure we were satisfied with anything else we ordered for the remainder of the trip. As for the Comedians, you are at the mercy of the Entertainment Dept. that books them. Some people find a comedian funny, others may not...it's what makes us human...not everyone likes everything.

Enjoy cruising the line(s) of your choice.

I have never left the hotel room without checking the weather outside especially the temperature, to see if I need shorts or warmer clothes to get to the ship. If it said 50 degrees I would be dressed accordingly.

He stated he stayed overnight so why wouldn't you check the weather before heading out?

He obviously didn't check it or he wouldn't have been in shorts in 50 degree weather. That was my point.

he is obviously not coming back because he has no answer to what Carnival was suppose to do about getting paid. He had no other funds so whether they contacted him or not, he had to pay the EXACT same way and the circumstances would have been the exact same.

the person to blame is looking at him in his mirror

My question is, what was your final Sail & Sign account bill? From my experience Carnival places an initial $100 hold and then daily holds on my credit card for the cumulative amount I spent. At the end of the cruise if I added up each individual hold amount it equals my final bill (or close to it), then Carnival submits the final amount to my credit card which clears all other holds that still may be present.

So if Carnival is holding $1,300 does that mean you charged $1,300 on your Sail & Sign card? Just a question, not flaming :cool:

The one time I did use a CC, Carnival held the same exact amount that they charged on my final bill for at least 10 days after debarkation....Even though they had actually charged and been paid for the final sail and sign.

I think that the OP had the means to pay his original S&S (even without the AMEX issue) but with the holds was overdrawn.

This is definitely on the OP, but I can see where it would be frustrating.

Not seeing where the "Feds" would get involved if you had a card on file that was invalid and they charged the card on file that was active. I can't imagine, as an alternative to charging the debit card, that they'd ask you to pinky swear to pay once you got your new Amex.

It doesn't take a brainiac to feel 50 degrees when he stepped out the hotel door to get to the port, or even while unloading luggage at the port.

My family is from Alaska and we would think 50 was a heat wave suitable for Daisy Dukes and flip flops! ;)

Sadly when I go home to visit I need to wear my parka and uggs, they think I'm crazy!

Edited by JVilleGal