Never Again! Carnival is the single worst cruise line ever!

hartwickds

Actually, 10c gives Carnival the right to take anything and everything you have on you (including your debit card and your underwear) to make restitution.

I'm so glad Carnival charged his debit card instead of making him leave the ship wearing only his tighty whities!

You spoke a little too soon

Questions for all who might have an idea of how this works.

I know you get "buzzed" instead of "dinged" at the debarking kiosk if your account is not in order at the Debarking port.... But does the same thing happen at ports of call?

It looks like I did speak a little too soon. THe OP finally reasorted to name calling. I am impressed that he is still posting. I started a thread a year ago about my DH taking an xbox on board and the HATE I received... for even thinking that it was OK for a grown man to enjoy his vacation the way he wants... had me running for the hills. People were so judgmental and angry about the subject. I was so traumatized that I stopped reading and stayed away from CC for six months.

But seeing that the OP has made a habit of "quitting" cruise-lines...may I suggest trying all inclusive vacations from now on.

I find it funny now that you ran into problems getting your car out of the parking lot.

I, and probably a few others, posted that you should look into getting an emergency money wire. Instead you spent your time defending an indefensible position about money problems that was of your own making.

Again, best of luck.

I traveled with two cards... Amex and Visa Debit which I never put on the account... I went to purchase a coffee midweek and they said my account had a balance due do they wouldn't let me charge anything... Since I was heading out on a shore excursion I had my wallet with the visa debit card... The Amex wasn't in my wallet as it was in the safe... I reviewed my account on the automated kiosk near the coffee place and it said I had a balance of $104.65 so I paid it with the visa debit which was on me... I in no way shape or form attach the visa debit card to the account... Again it was a one time payment so I could get my freaking coffee. I later come to find a few days later that there was some issue with Amex... When I got into port there were messages in my cell which I didn't receive on board advising they were cancelling the card due to irregular purchases and sending a new one... Does everyone get m know?

Yes, we all get you. When AMEX cancelled your card what did you plan to use for the rest of the cruise? It appears you didn't have cash to cover all expenses or you would have had the cash to cover your hotel etc. Do you think Carnival was just going to let you charge things etc? If you were told you had a balance of $104 and paid with your debit card, you had to know there was something wrong with your AMEX.

When you used your debit card, you were, in effect, telling Carnival that is the card to use as they were aware your AMEX wouldn't authorize a hold, so what did you expect them to do? In all your rants you haven't answered what you expected Carnival to do for future expenses. You were told by AMEX in Mexico that you had a problem with the card, and I don't see where you stopped having expenses for the rest of your cruise or you wouldn't have so many holds.

It appears to me, and keep in mind it is my opinion, that you felt that you were continuing to incur charges that you felt you didn't have to pay because you already knew that Carnival wasn't going to allow you to continue charging with no where bill them.

Once again, how did you expect to pay the charges? Your problem isn't with Carnival, as you have been told repeatedly, but you choose to not believe it. Had I had a problem with my credit card, I'd have gone to guest services to find out what the problem is and what I would need to do for the rest of the cruise. Obviously, that didn't occur to you, the seasoned cruiser.

One thing is getting lost in this thread. I know not everyone has problems with this and I know it should be common knowledge what your banks' policy is...regarding holds/authorizations.

However, having personally experienced this, it can be very frustrating when you have no cash (or overdrawn) in your checking account due to the charges being essentially doubled for even a few days. Even though they eventually dropped ...it still caused me to panic for a couple days, since I couldn't comprehend why I was broke, until the extra charges reversed.

In (MANY) years of using a debit card, I had never had this happen. I suppose it could have happened with hotel or gas station charges but those are on a small enough scale to go unnoticed. When you have several hundred dollars missing, you tend to take notice.

Ignorance on my part? Maybe...but it sure would have been nice if there had been a disclaimer or something warning me that it could happen.

Not everyone has discovered CC yet or has hours and hours everyday to do fun and informational cruise research...like I have since learned to do.:D:D:D:D:D

I've ran out of popcorn and soda, going to run to the store and replenish my supply. Then I'll be back to continue this fine entertainment. This is the most entertaining thread I have read in a long time!

Agreed, this thread has been very entertaining!! Rarely do I read a thread from the first page to the last!!:)

You call AM Ex and tell them there actions have caused you to be stranded and they will temporarily turn the card back on. You just need to make the call

Yes, if my debit and my Am Ex were maxed out mid cruise (even with a 300 gift card), I'd spend the $1.99/minute on carnival's phone to get it figured out!

I traveled with two cards... Amex and Visa Debit which I never put on the account... I went to purchase a coffee midweek and they said my account had a balance due do they wouldn't let me charge anything... Since I was heading out on a shore excursion I had my wallet with the visa debit card... The Amex wasn't in my wallet as it was in the safe... I reviewed my account on the automated kiosk near the coffee place and it said I had a balance of $104.65 so I paid it with the visa debit which was on me... I in no way shape or form attach the visa debit card to the account... Again it was a one time payment so I could get my freaking coffee. I later come to find a few days later that there was some issue with Amex... When I got into port there were messages in my cell which I didn't receive on board advising they were cancelling the card due to irregular purchases and sending a new one... Does everyone get m know?
'

What in the world did you spend that much money on ... including the $300 gift card??

I think it is the little inconsistencies in the story that are making people question the motives. For one I checked the weather at LAX for the date you would have left and the low was 51 with a high of 62(actuals) not the 40-50 you mentioned.

Two, I have had AX suspend my card due to suspicious charges as well. All I had to do was call them they went over which charges were valid and they also ask me if I had to make any future charges. I also think they are open 24 hours a day.

I think that you have made your point that you are not planning on using Carnival anymore, which is your prerogative. Carnival is not for everyone. I wish you happy sailings on whichever line you feel suits you better.

yup, glad I won't have to sail with his grumpy self

Yes of course, but couldn't pay last nights hotel room, and have no idea how I am getting out of the car lot at BWI. I had $28 to my name. Enough for lunch. Again, there should be $1800 in my checking account. Screw. Carnival!

That is the reason not to use debit cards for travel. HOLDS.

The debit card problem is your fault.

Post 172 and the OP still hasn't explained how he expects to make payment on his outstanding charges. The credit card is locked, and he doesn't want Carnival to use his debit card, so I guess Carnival should just write off the charges?

He never will. This is the way people have become today. He wants ti blame Carnival and can't take any personal responsibility. It is always someone else's fault.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP,

the one thing you have not replied about is what you think Carnival was supposed to do

lets play it out your way. Your amex is no longer valid. You knew there was a problem. You paid a one time charge with bank card but Carnival is not to use that card. you have no other card.

you continue to make charges. these charges build up.

the cruise is over... they now stop you from leaving because you owe money.

what are you going to do and how would it be any different than the situation you are in now????

Several people have asked this and its the one thing you have not answered

He was going to write them a check ....

I want to know how he spent all day and all night in port, and didn't spend any money?????

I find it funny now that you ran into problems getting your car out of the parking lot.

I, and probably a few others, posted that you should look into getting an emergency money wire. Instead you spent your time defending an indefensible position about money problems that was of your own making.

Again, best of luck.

When we have to park at the airport, we always leave cash hidden in the car, to pay for parking.

One thing is getting lost in this thread. I know not everyone has problems with this and I know it should be common knowledge what your banks' policy is...regarding holds/authorizations.

However, having personally experienced this, it can be very frustrating when you have no cash (or overdrawn) in your checking account due to the charges being essentially doubled for even a few days. Even though they eventually dropped ...it still caused me to panic for a couple days, since I couldn't comprehend why I was broke, until the extra charges reversed.

In (MANY) years of using a debit card, I had never had this happen. I suppose it could have happened with hotel or gas station charges but those are on a small enough scale to go unnoticed. When you have several hundred dollars missing, you tend to take notice.

Ignorance on my part? Maybe...but it sure would have been nice if there had been a disclaimer or something warning me that it could happen.

Not everyone has discovered CC yet or has hours and hours everyday to do fun and informational cruise research...like I have since learned to do.:D:D:D:D:D

Your bank should have the information regarding holds for use of a debit card. And now that you know, you can check with them before you use it (if you so choose) on your next cruise.

:)

I have never left the hotel room without checking the weather outside especially the temperature, to see if I need shorts or warmer clothes to get to the ship. If it said 50 degrees I would be dressed accordingly. I had my card compromised on a cruise. We each have cards on 4 different accounts 2 for the wife and 2 for me when we travel. Even though we were covered I wanted to know what had happened. I had ordered something online before I left on the cruise the charge didn't get posted until the 4 day on the cruise. The credit card company assumed that it was compromised. One phone call to visa and they allowed me to spend up to $2000.00 on my card. I didn't find out till I got home what the problem was as there were know other charges on my card other then what I had made. Still had to get a new card when I got home.

The OP had a lot of options to get it straightened out. Even after he got off the ship and checked into a motel, make a phone call to the credit card company, they are 24/7 for problems. call family or friends for help. Then knowing he had no credit and money he arrives to pick up his car at 1am. Could have straightened this out earlier also.

I don't believe most of what he is saying. I have never gone through this many posts. Finding it amusing.

OK, not buying the story now. Not buying that AmEx would leave you stranded with hotel and parking charges if your account was in good standing.

I have to agree with you. There really aren't any credit card companies more accommodating than AMEX.

I always take an extra credit card with thousands of space when leaving for a week in case of an emergency. Alas, I always use that card at hotels so as not to tie up my debit card money when I am going from hotel to hotel on vacation as they put on holds and they take up to 3 days to fall off. It is your responsibility to be aware and you will be next time I am certain. Not a Carnival mishap. This happens when traveling.

Edited by smyliecruising

I have never left the hotel room without checking the weather outside especially the temperature, to see if I need shorts or warmer clothes to get to the ship. If it said 50 degrees I would be dressed accordingly. I had my card compromised on a cruise. We each have cards on 4 different accounts 2 for the wife and 2 for me when we travel. Even though we were covered I wanted to know what had happened. I had ordered something online before I left on the cruise the charge didn't get posted until the 4 day on the cruise. The credit card company assumed that it was compromised. One phone call to visa and they allowed me to spend up to $2000.00 on my card. I didn't find out till I got home what the problem was as there were know other charges on my card other then what I had made. Still had to get a new card when I got home.

The OP had a lot of options to get it straightened out. Even after he got off the ship and checked into a motel, make a phone call to the credit card company, they are 24/7 for problems. call family or friends for help. Then knowing he had no credit and money he arrives to pick up his car at 1am. Could have straightened this out earlier also.

I don't believe most of what he is saying. I have never gone through this many posts. Finding it amusing.

We do the same thing. Each carry 2 completely different cards (mostly locked up in our cabin safe) but for just this reason. If DH wallet is stolen or my purse we still have good cards to fall back on. Now are we going to use those cards except in emergency, NO! Do the same with Debit cards for ATM machines for travel cash in Europe & other places, DH has one for one bank while I have one for a different bank.

I sure hope this thread is a good education for what NOT to do about money matters while cruising (anywhere) out of the country.

PS: Travel Insurance!