Breakaway 14 Day Southern Caribbean Review with lots of pictures (and the Haven)

ncklhaus

Wow! You told me a little on the cruise but you really went through the wringer! And you are sooo upbeat and fun. I just love the three of you!!! Can't wait to follow along!

Thanks so much Gina. It really was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. I still think his shirt was one of my favorites. :D

So the cold caps worked really well and kept most of my hair. I had a little thinning in spots. You will see in some of the pictures coming up.

I had my last chemo treatment on December 17th and our 13th wedding anniversary was on December 19th. We promised not to give each other anything except a card because we were saving our money for the cruise.

Oh and during all of this my husband's mother seriously deteriorated and was diagnosed with dementia. She was so bad that we had to take her out of her home of 45 years. She was in the hospital for a week starting 4 days after my first chemo treatment and then in a rehab and nursing home for a month before we were able to get her into an assisted living facility with a memory care unit. Mind you, she lives around an hour away so it wasn't an easy task.

We moved her into the facility and she loved it! But the next day we get a call that they think she may be having a heart attack. Seriously? Yep. It turns out that she had a "minor cardiac event". Another week in the hospital. Then back to the facility. Guess what? The next day she was back in the ER. Another possible event. It wasn't. So back to the facility.

How much more can one family take? I don't want to know.

So the day after Christmas, my husband says that we really need a break. Why don't we see if we can change our cruise to sometime soon. I look, but all there are on the Breakaway are 14 day cruises. He says cool. What? Really? What's the price difference, he asks. Well.....if we stay in the category we have (M6) it's around $2000 more. For an extra week. Oh heck yes! Book it! I call my travel agent and she looks into the change for us. Turns out if we don't keep the M6 Mini Suite with the large balcony on deck 8 and go for the M2 family mini suite on deck 12 instead, it will only be $25 more to cruise January 3rd through 17th to the Southern Caribbean. Yes, you read that right. $25. We took it. So that's $25 more for an extra week. 8 ports and 6 sea days.

Now we did this change on Saturday December 26th. We were really excited but I had read here on Cruise Critic about the Upsell Fairy and that there is an upsell department. I told my husband about it and he said that we should call and see what they offer.

I called them Monday December 28th at 9am. I was told that the only room they had available was the 2 bedroom Haven family villa and it would be $2000, for a total additional cost of $2180 with our travel insurance. Are you kidding me? Sold! We were going to pay that much to be in the M6! Now I'm totally giddy!

I am usually a planner. My husband (Mike) usually says he's already gone on the cruise 3 times before we even go because I plan and talk so much about it. This time we were leaving in 6 days. I didn't have time to plan. My daughter and I needed clothes. I needed new bathing suits. Since the surgery and expansions my boobs looked like, pardon the expression, "Hooker boobs". LOL. I'm actually scheduled for surgery again for my permanent implants this coming Monday. :D

So the days leading up to the cruise were spent shopping, packing, and scheduling doctor appointments for after the cruise.

I will continue tomorrow. Writing all of this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. When I talk to people, it's a lot easier.

Until then. :o

Started reading this because we will be on the Breakaway next month, but will keep reading it because of your story. My mom had a mastectomy 10 years ago in March. I hope you have decades worth of "anniversaries" ahead of you.

For our original cruise we had chosen the UBP and we were able to keep it for this one. We had purchased the UDP for the 7 day cruise so we decided to purchase the additional 7 meal SDP for the other half of the cruise. And we had also purchased the Unlimited Internet Plan, but that was also only for 7 days. We would purchase the plan for the other 7 days while onboard.

Started reading this because we will be on the Breakaway next month, but will keep reading it because of your story. My mom had a mastectomy 10 years ago in March. I hope you have decades worth of "anniversaries" ahead of you.

Thank you for the sweet comment. I hope you enjoy the story and I'm sure you will enjoy the Breakaway.

Sending love your way to you and your mom.

I read all your posts. I thought you were a very kind person to answer everyone's questions while you were on vacation. After reading your latest posts I think it is wonderful that you are sharing your experiences with everyone. You are inspirational, and could be helping others. Thank you.

You're welcome! You know at first I wondered why would I get cancer twice and then I realized that maybe it was to show people that it doesn't have to be so scary. Something good can come out of something bad.

Luckily, we have a really good friend that agreed to take care of our dog while we were gone and another friend that would feed the goldfish. We've had this goldfish for over a year. He was won at a carnival and was barely an inch long. Fast forward a year and Gilbert is around 8 inches long and living in a 10 gallon tank. :eek: The carnival fish outlived 3 other store bought goldfish.

Anyway, the day before the cruise we drove our pup to his vacation home at the beach. I know, poor doggy. He would spend the next two weeks being treated like a prince. Our friend would cook for him every day, take him for long walks on the beach and boardwalk, and sleep in his bed. What a life.

I wanted to start with our journey to the cruise terminal now but for some reason I cannot get pictures to post from my kindle. I will have to switch back to my laptop to do that. I will continue/start with Day 1 tomorrow afternoon. We are going to court in the morning to try an get guardianship of Mike's mom. Wish us luck.

I don't know you but I love you.

Your daughter is a ray of sunshine. Amazing how small people put things into perspective, isn't it? I'm so glad to hear that you've come through the surgery so well and are thisclose to completing your reconstruction.

I have been fortunate to have made it to almost 53 with no real lady part issues. And our family has been one where the women are pretty clean overall. But I've had several close friends deal with both breast and uterine cancer and their grace and strength through the battles has been an inspiration.

I admire your attitude through all of this, the fact that you are a childhood survivor and still managed to hold it all together and make whatever decisions are best for you and your family.

Looking forward to more of your review. I must say that we also had one of those carnival goldfish who defied the odds and lived for several years, also in a large fish tank. Continued good health to you!

We've had this goldfish for over a year. He was won at a carnival and was barely an inch long. Fast forward a year and Gilbert is around 8 inches long and living in a 10 gallon tank. The carnival fish outlived 3 other store bought goldfish.

That's so funny, the same thing happened to my brother and I growing up. He won a goldfish at the carnival, and I believe that thing lasted 2 1/2 years and even managed to dodge the algae eater that we discovered was eating the other fish. Little thing had quite the will to live, much like you :)

WOW, thank you for being so brave in sharing your story with us. I'm literally in tears right now...

My mom is a breast cancer survivor. I remember being 18 at the time. She had been planning a trip to Asia where she would be able to fulfill one of her life dreams; ride an elephant in Thailand. Unfortunately she had to cancel her trip. I myself had to make some changes; I had security deposit placed on my first apartment. I was scheduled to move out the week she was diagnosed. Needless to say I cancelled and stayed home to take care of her for the next few years. When she lost her hair from the chemo, I shaved my head so we would have matching bald heads! I can still remember going shopping for wigs with her at a local department store. That was a tough night.

During the treatments (surgery, chemo, radiation etc.) I tried my best to keep her spirits up by promising we would take that trip when she got better and we'd ride the elephants! She had hard days and really hard days. The treatments took their toll and ravaged her body as well as her morale. The chemo was making her very, very sick...but everyday I tried my best to keep her spirit high with the promise of riding the elephants. It became an obsession with her as she would constantly daydream of her elephants!

After 2 years of hell, my mom and I finally ended up half way across the world, in a remote forest in Thailand. As we followed our guide through the dense foliage, we could hear loud bellowing ahead of us. We kept walking down the path through a clearing and suddenly, right there in front of us stood half a dozen huge elephants. It was at this point that my mom just crumbled to the ground in a heap of emotion and tears. She had finally made it. It was time to ride her elephant!

What a day that was, I remember it like it was yesterday.

She's now been cancer free for nearly 20 years! :)

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but I had to get that out of my system.

Please continue with your inspirational story and your review of the Breakaway. I can't wait to read more!

Also, please accept my best wishes to you and your family for a speedy and full recovery. You are in my thoughts.

F**K cancer.

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

I don't know you but I love you.

Your daughter is a ray of sunshine. Amazing how small people put things into perspective, isn't it? I'm so glad to hear that you've come through the surgery so well and are thisclose to completing your reconstruction.

I have been fortunate to have made it to almost 53 with no real lady part issues. And our family has been one where the women are pretty clean overall. But I've had several close friends deal with both breast and uterine cancer and their grace and strength through the battles has been an inspiration.

I admire your attitude through all of this, the fact that you are a childhood survivor and still managed to hold it all together and make whatever decisions are best for you and your family.

Looking forward to more of your review. I must say that we also had one of those carnival goldfish who defied the odds and lived for several years, also in a large fish tank. Continued good health to you!

Thanks so much! You're so sweet.

We also are a family with no history of lady parts cancer. I had the genetic testing done, and I don't have the genes either. I'm just lucky, I guess.:p

That's so funny, the same thing happened to my brother and I growing up. He won a goldfish at the carnival, and I believe that thing lasted 2 1/2 years and even managed to dodge the algae eater that we discovered was eating the other fish. Little thing had quite the will to live, much like you :)

Those darn fish! LOL

WOW, thank you for being so brave in sharing your story with us. I'm literally in tears right now...

My mom is a breast cancer survivor. I remember being 18 at the time. She had been planning a trip to Asia where she would be able to fulfill one of her life dreams; ride an elephant in Thailand. Unfortunately she had to cancel her trip. I myself had to make some changes; I had security deposit placed on my first apartment. I was scheduled to move out the week she was diagnosed. Needless to say I cancelled and stayed home to take care of her for the next few years. When she lost her hair from the chemo, I shaved my head so we would have matching bald heads! I can still remember going shopping for wigs with her at a local department store. That was a tough night.

During the treatments (surgery, chemo, radiation etc.) I tried my best to keep her spirits up by promising we would take that trip when she got better and we'd ride the elephants! She had hard days and really hard days. The treatments took their toll and ravaged her body as well as her morale. The chemo was making her very, very sick...but everyday I tried my best to keep her spirit high with the promise of riding the elephants. It became an obsession with her as she would constantly daydream of her elephants!

After 2 years of hell, my mom and I finally ended up half way across the world, in a remote forest in Thailand. As we followed our guide through the dense foliage, we could hear loud bellowing ahead of us. We kept walking down the path through a clearing and suddenly, right there in front of us stood half a dozen huge elephants. It was at this point that my mom just crumbled to the ground in a heap of emotion and tears. She had finally made it. It was time to ride her elephant!

What a day that was, I remember it like it was yesterday.

She's now been cancer free for nearly 20 years! :)

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but I had to get that out of my system.

Please continue with your inspirational story and your review of the Breakaway. I can't wait to read more!

Also, please accept my best wishes to you and your family for a speedy and full recovery. You are in my thoughts.

F**K cancer.

What a lovely story! Your mom is lucky to have you. Maybe one day I might ride an elephant. And I totally agree F**K cancer!

That was a beautiful memory to share, YankeeFan. :D

I totally agree!

Thank you for sharing your story. I have been putting off getting my mammogram, but after reading your story I will make my appointment today. I wish you all the best. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

I am so happy that you are doing that!

I will be on the Breakaway in Oct. I thought if you booked through a TA, that the up sell fairy was not a option. What number did you call?

The upsell number is ‪1-800-625-4309‬. You should call them when you have less than 2 weeks until your sailing. It doesn't matter if you used a TA when you call for the upsell. Your TA will get the credit.

Onward!

I had arranged for Groundlink to pick us up at 9:00 am and the driver arrived at 8:50. We were ready to go! Our luggage was outside and waiting. We seriously overpacked!

20160103_082054_zpsqetcfm3c.jpg

20160103_082100_zps01qhgi8d.jpg

The purple polka dot bag on the end was filled with bottles of water. We had no problem having the porter take the bags. We kept the two small carry on bags with us and Melissa also had a bag filled with her stuffed animals that she had with her.

We were seriously excited, even in the car. In less than 45 minutes we would be at the pier.

20160103_084438_zpswny0rqml.jpg

20160103_084500_zpsavhpdeza.jpg

20160103_084526_zps1vn7rybm.jpg

We had arrived! Even though we had been on the Breakaway last year, the first sighting of the ship still gives me goosebumps. But first, we had to get through security.

Once the porter took our bags, we were directed to head to the left for the line that would handle the Haven security and then check-in. Since I have 3 joint replacements, and even the tissue expanders have metal in them, I knew that I was going to beep. I told the expediter about this and he had me go through the line with the female security screener. A quick wanding and a pat down, and we were through!

Since we were staying in the Haven, they then have you walk all the way to the back of the terminal to check in there. We were supposed to go right into the Haven waiting area to check in, give our credit card, and get our key cards. But a little communication error and we had to check in with the masses. LOL But seriously, we checked in real quick and then they realized that we were Haven and walked us to the other area and were given our key cards there.

We like to keep our key cards on a lanyard around our necks and I always bring a hole puncher with us. That's when I realized that we never did our Embarkation photo! :(

I took these pictures of the ship from the Haven waiting room. They had a table set up with coffee, tea, juice, cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, and even finger sandwiches. Nice! We were getting stoked!

20160103_103328_zpsjuwit6hp.jpg

20160103_103334_zpsewmpm2w0.jpg