First and only time in BA first

mina

Just booked lhr to Phx direct flight in first class for Hubby and I using aa miles. Have always wanted to fly BA first, but never thought it would happen. Please let me know things we should take advantage of when doing this flight. Flys from terminal five mid afternoon. Do we have access to the Concorde room? I have read about people eating meals there. Are the meals free? Do we tip the server? Thank you!

Yes, get to the CCR early, have breakfast, have lunch, drink plenty of Champagne. Pre book a massage or facial (I think the window opens 60 days out, I called rather than booking online as it was more efficient.). We enjoy sitting on the terrace area looking out over the terminal, it's surprisingly quiet. All meals, alcohol, and services are free, no tipping expected or required. Take advantage on the plane, get your PJ's even if it is a daytime flight. If you will be arriving many hours prior to the flight consider booking a cabana, although Unless I needed a nap or shower facilities I would rather be out in the CCR or as I mentioned, on the terrace. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by ducklite

The massages are free, but they are only 15 minutes. I like the mini facial. As far as the PJ's, they come in XL as well, and yes, you can ask for any size and bring them home. My husband has brought them for me. :)

Just booked lhr to Phx direct flight in first class for Hubby and I using aa miles. Have always wanted to fly BA first, but never thought it would happen. Please let me know things we should take advantage of when doing this flight. Flys from terminal five mid afternoon. Do we have access to the Concorde room? I have read about people eating meals there. Are the meals free? Do we tip the server? Thank you!

What type of plane do they have you on.

I booked my FF FC tickets about 3 mos ago for a late June flight.

BA just recently changed our plane from a 777-200 to a 787-900

You can prebook massages 30 days ahead. There's a form online and someone usually responds to confirm within a few hours.

The other tip I have is if you don't like the look of the second meal service (afternoon tea on flights to NoAm) then ask the crew just after takeoff if they can hold a dish for you later in the flight.

A couple other things... Make sure you use the dedicated check in area for BA First. No line at all. They will also fast track you through security, which is a huge benefit at LHR. The eggs Benedict are really good... But unless you ask for two, you will only be served one.

I know BA is phasing out the 747 in favor of the 787, but it will probably depend on delivery schedules. If you are really capitated to specific seats (we prefer 2A and 3A so we each have window and aisle access on the 77- and 33- for example) then keep an eye for equipment changes so you can change your seats if you are reassigned to something you don't care for.

A couple other things... The seats in the 777 are great in that the footrest becomes a buddy seat and the tray table is very large so you and your traveling companion can dine together. There is a seat belt so the person in the buddy seat is safe. The amenity bag is nice, my husband loves the refinery products in the men's bag. The bag itself is good quality, I use it for my non-liquid toiletries and use the clear US/AA Envoy bag as my 3-1-1.

On our last BA 1st flight we were the only people in First class. The FA just left us with a bottle of Champagne and a bottle of red and checked back about once an hour to see if we wanted any food. They had catered for a dozen or so, and she happily brought me extra scones and tea sandwiches.

Thank you. We are currently in row five the two middle seats. I will check to see if we can switch. Last time I looked there were not open across the aisle seats there was one seat gone in each row and the middle seats in row 4 were gone. It sounds like they take good care of you on the flight, so I am excited. We are flying coach over on aa 300 connecting through Phil. Since we have a two seat row up front, I did not even try to upgrade as its a short enough flight. Plus we only paid 300 each for the flight through a cruise air special. For that price, any seat will do. Now, my goal is to pack only a carry on for the way over so we don't have to wait for luggage when we arrive in Lhr. I read your carry on packing tips and am motivated. Probably will pack an extra fold up bag for the way back for gifts since we are first class direct to Phx will not have to worry about bags coming off last and long lines through immigration.

On BA they will hold all other classes of service until First has deplaned. It's a nice little perk. That said, unless you have GE, if you arrive behind a couple of other wide bodies from overseas, you will still have to wait at CBP.

They are VERY liberal on carry on bags, pretty much you get a full overhead as well as a number of compartments around your seat for stowage. I would try to carry on my rolling bag, a small duffle or tote with gifts, and a small personal item. This way you won't have to wait at all for bags when you arrive before CBP. It could shave off 20 minutes. If you are connecting, just check one of the bags.

Keep checking AA and get to the gate early and ask about Envoy upgrades. I have seen them for only $300 each. That's a price I would gladly pay for a lay flat seat which would give me a full 5 hours sleep on the PHL to LHR route, which IIR is about a seven hour total flight. Also there is an arrivals lounge for Envoy (I think, I have only flown Envoy into LHR once and was meeting DH who flew in on a different flight and arrived a couple hours ahead of me so I didn't use it if there was one). Unless you are sure you are getting right into your hotel room on arrival, the lounge with it's showers is welcome after an overnight flight. Food for thought.

Great tips. Unfortunately, although I am gold on aa, we will not have the 30k miles to do the mileage upgrade for both of us. I just burned through 100k in miles to arrange to fly my dh sons and their significant others to Phx for his 60 bday in sept. It's a surprise for him. We usually fly envoy thru an upgrade and he is not understanding why we are not doing it this time. Now, to just keep his surprise till sept! We live in Phx so no connecting on the flight home. However, I like the idea of not having to wait for bags at all. Thank you for the advice.

Avoid row 5, they're the worst seats in the cabin. I'd pick 2A/K or practically anything else other than those. Window seats one in front of the other are fine.

Also the centre seats don't have their own overhead lockers, you're sharing with 5A and 5K. You may struggle for room given the mattress pads, duvets etc, that live up in those lockers unless you board very early.

thanks for the input Fbgd. Unfortunately, the only other seats that are open are row three and back window seats and we prefer not to sit one in front of the other. Like to at least see each other across the plane. Row three has some type of shelf thingy in the middle so can't even see across. So, I think we are stuck with row 5:( I am going to watch and move to either row 1 or row 2 if they open up. Right now they are booked. Row four in the middle is also booked.

Row 1 and row 2 are the most popular and row 1 is held for BA Golds/oneworld Emeralds. Even as a BA Gold I'd pick 2A/K as a couple.

I can see why as a couple might want to see eachother but it doesn't bother me, particularly since in F you have the buddy seat so your seatmate can dine with you and stop by for a drink. if in the window seats the further forward you are the most restrictive the space for the "buddy".

My husband usually comes to my buddy seat in 2A and has never felt cramped. Might not want to try to spend the whole flight there, but to have a meal or visit for an hour or two it's plenty comfortable for him.

• 5 weeks later...
You can prebook massages 30 days ahead. There's a form online and someone usually responds to confirm within a few hours.
Somewhere online, you should be able to find the list of current spa treatments. You don't have to have a massage if you'd prefer one of the others, eg a facial. If you can't find a list, one of us may be able to dig one up.

One other thing about the lounge: you can eat anywhere in it, and you don't have to sit in the dining area to do so if you don't want to.

Also, the bar staff apparently do an interesting range of cocktails. Unfortunately, I've never yet been in a position to try them out. When flying First from London, I always mean to go really early and try out the things there that I've heard about. Unfortunately, those (good?) intentions never get realised and I've always ended up getting there with much less time than I'd hoped.

The other tip I have is if you don't like the look of the second meal service (afternoon tea on flights to NoAm) then ask the crew just after takeoff if they can hold a dish for you later in the flight.
More generally than this, you should bear in mind that it's dine-on-demand in First. The presumption will be that, as usual, you'll want the main meal at the beginning of the flight and the smaller second meal towards the end. But you really don't have to do this. You can eat whatever you want, whenever you want it. Just let the crew know at the outset and they can then set aside whatever you're interested in until later.

So, for example, when I've done Hong Kong - London as part of a journey back from Australia, I've just gone straight to sleep on takeoff, but then had dinner after waking up two thirds of the way through the flight. Or when doing a daylight flight from New York to London, I've just had a light snack after takeoff (after having breakfast in the lounge), and then had a full lunch from about two hours before arrival.

If you want to get some sleep, the cabin crew will make up your bed if you ask. As yours is a daylight flight, they'll work on the basis that you won't want this. But the kit should be there if you do want to snuggle down and take a nap.

The plane that does Phx right now is a 747. Not sure if it will be changed prior to May. So, looks like it is an older plane.
It's very unlikely that there will be a change for a flight in May.

But cherish the experience. The 747 is a very special lady, and there will never again be a first class cabin like this one, set into the nose of the aircraft.

Unfortunately, the only other seats that are open are row three and back window seats and we prefer not to sit one in front of the other. Like to at least see each other across the plane. Row three has some type of shelf thingy in the middle so can't even see across. So, I think we are stuck with row 5:( I am going to watch and move to either row 1 or row 2 if they open up. Right now they are booked. Row four in the middle is also booked.
Sitting one in front of the other really is no big deal in this cabin. You can dine together if you want, as already mentioned. Otherwise, you're not going to be doing anything much that requires you to be in eye contact: reading, watching movies, gazing at the passing scenery. You don't want to deliberately choose the poorest seats in the cabin for the sake of a benefit which is, frankly, rather illusory.

You may want to have a look at http://www.expertflyer.com and set up an alert there so that you will get notified if any of the other seats comes free.

I have no status on BA and last fall I was able to grab both row 1 seats on a 747 at T-72. I thought without status I would not be able to get them until T-24. It was really nice, very private and much better than row 5.

Suggest you start checking frequently 3 or 4 days out to see if they become available and try to take them.

Suggest if you try to change seats do the 5E (left) seat first. I think 5F is a bassinet/baby seat and once you give it up you may not be able to reselect it without calling.

• 2 months later...

Keep checking AA and get to the gate early and ask about Envoy upgrades. I have seen them for only $300 each. That's a price I would gladly pay for a lay flat seat which would give me a full 5 hours sleep on the PHL to LHR route, which IIR is about a seven hour total flight. Also there is an arrivals lounge for Envoy (I think, I have only flown Envoy into LHR once and was meeting DH who flew in on a different flight and arrived a couple hours ahead of me so I didn't use it if there was one). Unless you are sure you are getting right into your hotel room on arrival, the lounge with it's showers is welcome after an overnight flight. Food for thought.

Hi Ducklite! Following up on this old thread. Since I have accumulated more miles, I went ahead and requested a miles upgrade for DH and I on AA from PHL to LHR on May 28th. My status is just GOLD. The Phone Rep indicated I should only request for the PHL to LHR segment and not the PHX to PHL earlier flight to increase chances to clear. I requested back in March, so have been on the list for a while. Once I get to the gate in PHL, should I alert the gate agent that we are there and ask about the upgrades? Does that annoy them? I assume on international flights they show the waitlist for upgrades on the monitor? I have never requested a miles upgrade before and am not certain about the protocol. If there is only one seat open will they upgrade one of us (DH has no status) and leave the other in coach or do they just bypass both of us? Right now there are 13 business class seats open and it is 26 days out. So, I am hoping it does not fill up. However, its a holiday weekend. Fingers crossed!

Edited by mina

. If there is only one seat open will they upgrade one of us (DH has no status) and leave the other in coach or do they just bypass both of us? !

I can answer this part.

If you both are on 1 PNR code (that 6 letter code you use to check in), then it's either both of you get upgraded or neither get upgraded.

I can answer this part.

If you both are on 1 PNR code (that 6 letter code you use to check in), then it's either both of you get upgraded or neither get upgraded.

That's good -- as would not want to have to choose which of us goes economy... especially since we would probably decide by height and since DH is 6'3" he would win!

Hi Ducklite! Following up on this old thread. Since I have accumulated more miles, I went ahead and requested a miles upgrade for DH and I on AA from PHL to LHR on May 28th. My status is just GOLD. The Phone Rep indicated I should only request for the PHL to LHR segment and not the PHX to PHL earlier flight to increase chances to clear. I requested back in March, so have been on the list for a while. Once I get to the gate in PHL, should I alert the gate agent that we are there and ask about the upgrades? Does that annoy them? I assume on international flights they show the waitlist for upgrades on the monitor? I have never requested a miles upgrade before and am not certain about the protocol. If there is only one seat open will they upgrade one of us (DH has no status) and leave the other in coach or do they just bypass both of us? Right now there are 13 business class seats open and it is 26 days out. So, I am hoping it does not fill up. However, its a holiday weekend. Fingers crossed!

I'm not sure why the agent told you not to request an upgrade all the way through. A couple of years ago we had a flight home that routed FCO-ORD-LAX. We were able to do a miles & co-pay upgrade from ORD-LAX, but were waitlisted for FCO-ORD. We cleared at the gate just before boarding. The gate agent made us pay the full co-pay and miles instead of the incremental amount, but we eventually were reimbursed the extra miles and money after emailing AA.

They will show the upgrade list on the monitor for domestic and international flights alike, so no need to bother the agents, who will probably just point there, anyway. f you download the AA app to your smartphone, you can see the upgrade list there starting 3 or so hours prior to your flight and there will be a check next to your name if you clear. And don't despair if you're way down the list - it will include upgrades from business to first as well as economy to business. Good luck!

Edited by critterchick