Shopping in Ijmuiden ?

grayjay

I tried the search function first but to no avail. So I hope again for answers from the knowledgeable CC crowd! :)

We'll be sailing on "Prinsendam" in August 2016 out of Ijmuiden which is a first for us. We have already decided to use the HAL transfer bus from Schiphol airport as this seems to be the easiest way - what a difference from embarking in Amsterdam where we only had to roll our luggage along the path from Amsterdam Centraal station for a few minutes to reach our ship! But now to my question:

I always try to stock up a bit on snacks and some special brands of water before boarding but I'm not too sure if that will be possible in Ijmuiden port. Shall I buy my sweet delights at the airport or is there a shop nearby or at the port terminal itself?

Thank you for your help.

I would buy what you want at the airport. When they bus you to the port, there is nothing there but the terminal building itself. I think there was a rudimentary snack bar in the waiting area where you could buy a cup of coffee, but I don't think there was much in the way of food.

I tried the search function first but to no avail. So I hope again for answers from the knowledgeable CC crowd! :)

We'll be sailing on "Prinsendam" in August 2016 out of Ijmuiden which is a first for us. We have already decided to use the HAL transfer bus from Schiphol airport as this seems to be the easiest way - what a difference from embarking in Amsterdam where we only had to roll our luggage along the path from Amsterdam Centraal station for a few minutes to reach our ship! But now to my question:

I always try to stock up a bit on snacks and some special brands of water before boarding but I'm not too sure if that will be possible in Ijmuiden port. Shall I buy my sweet delights at the airport or is there a shop nearby or at the port terminal itself?

Thank you for your help.

Regarding the shopping, I would advise shopping at Schiphol airport in the arrival hall, there are several shops outside the customs bounderies, but within the hall. For one, there is a small supermarket, called AH to go (Albert Heijn to go), part of the largest chain of supermarkets in Holland.

You will find a list of these shops on Schiphol outside passport control here (in english);

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/Shop/ShoppingSchipholPlaza/Shopping2.htm

For supermarket like look for:

• Albert Heijn supermarket

• Hema at Plaza

For wine look for:

• Gall & Gall

Edited by Alphen

If your first port is day one or two of your cruise, why not wait and buy what you want in the first port?

Most likely the first day will be a sea day followed by the first of many Norwegian ports, where everything is incredibly expensive.

I would buy what you want at the airport. When they bus you to the port, there is nothing there but the terminal building itself. I think there was a rudimentary snack bar in the waiting area where you could buy a cup of coffee, but I don't think there was much in the way of food.

Indeed buy at Scxhiphol airport, shops in the large arrival hall before you get on the bus.

The cruise terminal is in an isolated area on the outside of IJmuiden.

In 2017 Prinsendam will sail again from Amsterdam instead of IJmuiden,

Edited by Ine

Worse than airport prices? :eek: :D

I come through Schiphol a lot, though never shop there, but the supermarket and Liquor store are both part of a large chain of stores in Holland, so I am assuming that prices are that of what is normal around Holland. The shops are not Tax-free, they are within arrivals hall, but outside of passport control area and you can reach them before departing flights, or after arrival.

Schiphol airport definitely is the best opportunity as well as the last chance to use our own currency - Euros. Most of the other ports are either Norwegian (Norway/Spitsbergen) or in Iceland - and both of these countries are not known for inexpensive supermarkets.

And even if the food on "Prinsendam" will likely be too good and too much and too rich anyway I might miss my daily fix of a small chocolate bar :D . So thank you again for helping me out.