Britannia restaurant question

lynnek

On Azura I remember a part of the buffet area that changed to an Italian in the evening and had a small charge of roughly £5 for a steak cooked on a stone. Does anyone know if there is anything similar on Britannia?

Personally, I prefer the Beach House menu to Sorrento.

Beach House menu 1

https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/AU_BeachHouse.pdf

Menu 2.

https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/beachhouse_menu.pdf

Note supplementary prices on Menu 2 are incorrect as they were the prices when there was no cover charge, so deduct approx £5.

Brian

Thanks Brian this is really useful. So we pay £5 each to eat there and if our choices have a small supplement we pay that on top, is this correct? Also what happens about tips for these restaurants?

Yes, £5 cover charge plus supplement on certain items.

Brian

Please be aware lynnek that if you turn up hoping for a table immediately you may be disappointed. It may be different if your cruise it not as busy as ours was (Christmas/New Year), but we went to the Beach House one night around the time we wanted to dine (7 pm) and no tables were available until nearly 10 pm. We were told that to guarantee a table at your preferred time you had to turn up at the desk at 6.30, when it opens, and request your table, then come back at the appointed time.

One think I found annoying on P&O was that they didn't tell you anywhere how much the speciality restaurants were. It was literally like some dark secret that they didn't want you to know...not on the menus, not on the daily sheets etc. Very strange. If only they had published the prices we might have gone!

When we were on Britannia last June, we went up and booked the table in the morning for that evening.

When we tried to get in the first time and failed, my husband said to the maître d' "So effectively you have to book in advance" and the maître d' said categorically that you could not come and book before they opened at 6.30 p.m. As I said, though, they might have applied different rules because our cruise was full.

One think I found annoying on P&O was that they didn't tell you anywhere how much the speciality restaurants were. It was literally like some dark secret that they didn't want you to know...not on the menus, not on the daily sheets etc. Very strange. If only they had published the prices we might have gone!

Maybe because the cover charge can vary from cruise to cruise depending on demand?

Rather strange as all the info is readily available. Just goto Frequently Asked Questions on P&O website where all the prices are listed for all speciality restaurants. I noted that some prices varied dependant on the length of the cruise other maintained the same, Epicurean is £28pp/ Sindhu is £15pp/Limelight is £25pp /etc.

It was odd - I hadn't seen that on the website. It was our first P&O cruise and it didn't occur to me to look before we went, but once on board it would have been good to have the prices published somewhere. That doesn't preclude them offering discounts, 2 for 1 deals etc. if the restaurants are quiet.

It is the same with another thread on the go at the moment regarding P&O not disclosing what time you are expected to be in port. It just seems to me as if some practices are very strange and they like keeping their customers in the dark!

Got back from Britannia 2 weeks ago and the Beach House was very busy especially during the second week, we did manage to get in twice although once was the last Friday which was quite as it was a change over day.

One night I tried at about 7.30 and the Maître d' told us that when they opened at 6.30 there were 300 waiting, half got in and half took pagers.

We also tried Sindhu at the beginning of the 2nd week and were told that the only vacancies were for the last night.

Needless to say we had no trouble getting into the MDR at what ever time we turned up on the 2nd week.

So my advice is that if you want to book in at anywhere then get it sorted asap.

Rick.