First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Booking our next X cruise

In the last day's Celebrity Today newsletter there was an insert that caught Carol's eye. The title was Our Best Offer Ever

As we had enjoyed our first X cruise we thought it wouldn't hurt to think about another one while still on board. If it did hurt we had Advil standing by.

I went down to the Future cruise sales office and the joint was jumping mid afternoon. All 5 associates had customers so I snagged some one page brochures to take back to the room. The office was open 9 am to 9 pm

After the show and before dinner we both went to the office and found perky Louise. We wound up booking a cruise on the Reflection doing the same route

in January 2017. Reflection passes our Lawn Club Grill/hammock test.

We booked the same suite 7309.

Included;

Premium Beverage package

Unlimited Internet

Gratuities paid

$550 OBC (Yikes!)

Deposit was $25 each and of course we can switch to a different ship/itinerary.

Something to look forward to next January!

Norris

The best part of coming to the end of this cruise? You were motivated to book the next one, of course! You do know I'll be stowing away to cruise along with you, right? :D

Now.....call an online travel agent and get those perks and then probably the same amount of OBC. We use the one whose initials are the same as this web site. You'll have to pay final payment a few weeks earlier and go through them if you want to change your cruise, but you do your own check-in, etc.

You have to transfer the booking (they send an email to do it) within 60 days.

What would be the advantage of doing what you have suggested?

Our last moments of our last evening on board were spent on deck 5, the Promenade deck. I wondered where the life jackets are stored out here?

I didn't see any teak cabinets filled with them as I see on Princess.

In an emergency situation would we all be able to return to our cabins in those narrow corridors and get the jackets and our valuables from the safe?-unlikely.

Just curious.

The ship has enough lifeboats and rafts and they have these for the crew....

24652782770_6f244a9327_b.jpg

You go down a chute into one of four inflatable rafts that hold a total of 632 people.

24921983056_e59c03f440_b.jpg

24921981526_882075f91a_b.jpg

The reassuring thing is that most lifeboats that are ever built never get used and that the crew do weekly emergency drills to instill procedures that become second nature- I speak from experience. I scratch my head when I hear people complaining about having to go to Muster drill and on this voyage heard people who wanted to talk through it while we were all trying to hear the instructions given.

In the distance I can see the lights from the other ships returning to Port Everglades. Nothing lights up the sky like a cruise ship.

We will both be up early in the morning. I have a lot of photos to take and I will be on deck as we sail in.

This says it all.......

24317693724_5647f9b006_b.jpg

Now.....call an online travel agent and get those perks and then probably the same amount of OBC. We use the one whose initials are the same as this web site. You'll have to pay final payment a few weeks earlier and go through them if you want to change your cruise, but you do your own check-in, etc.

You have to transfer the booking (they send an email to do it) within 60 days.

We transferred our on-board booking to our TA right there. We got all the perks X offered and our TA save us quite a bit of money for the cruise itself.

I thought this was a nice touch by the Silhouette Theater

25017677336_c622b63763_b.jpg

I was awake and up on deck by 4 something a.m and the lights of P.E were close.

There were ships ahead of us that would berth earlier than us, including Allure of the Seas.

As it was dark I thought I could get a few more pics without missing anything on deck.

25044036025_9eda7dc07c_b.jpg

The ship is of course quiet at this time-Library quiet. Library? Oh, I could use some pics as it has been busy every day. I spot some art as I get closer.

24950744281_512c7d7cf1_b.jpg

25044040835_507f95cf3f_b.jpg

24413408184_cf62e5672a_b.jpg

25017697246_01256d6bfb_b.jpg

24926004042_d8bc018c6a_b.jpg

25017702406_37927a7961_b.jpg

25044046025_1bf39a45b7_b.jpg

Like every other room on the ship the word WOW seems to fit.

My tingling Spidey senses told me to get up on deck as we were approaching the harbor. I went up to Solstice deck by the forward elevators.

I'm busy this morning- before we reach pier 25 I will have recorded 3 videos which you'll see soon.

To accomplish such feats a man such as I needs coffee which means a trip to the Oceanview Cafe on deck 14. Something interesting happened there....

It's about 5.30 a.m by now, prior to docking.

I walk in and am maybe the only passenger there. Two young ladies are prepping Il Secondo Baccio coffee bar for business. I walk past them slowly. Hmm-no chirpy "Good Morning , Sir!" which I usually hear. Onward to the coffee and during my trip I meet maybe 5 buffet workers prepping. Again, no greeting when there is usually a chorus,even from staff 20 feet away.

I get my coffee to go and walk back the way I came, slowing down at Il Secondo Baccio. I walked a few feet past and stopped to walk back to the two girls.

"We don't open until 6" one said.

"That I know," said I " I was just noticing that when I walked through here just now none of the crew, including you, said hello and yet they usually all do. That's interesting.."

Nothing from the other side of the counter, so I walked on.

Three hours later, walking through Ensemble Lounge I came upon my new friends Jeff and Lisa, from Florida and stopped to chat. I told them it seemed like a switch was flicked off at midnight by some of the crew I had met this morning.

They both nodded in agreement and Jeff said he noticed it in Blu where the servers turned off the morning cheery charm and were all business.

None of us have that e mail survey yet and our cruises are not over until our feet hit pier 25. The last impression therefore isn't a 10 for service but rather "we don't have to try so hard anymore and we can drop the act". Interesting...

I have been enjoying your cruise Norris, as i hsve enjoyed all your others, particularly ypur Emerald cruise.thanks for bringing us! We sailed Silhouette on a TA in 2014, & agree that she is beautiful!

With regard to the "last morning" change of attitude, we've noticed that in varying degress on all of our sailings, regardless of line. There is always a different vibe on the mornig of the last day. It could partially be because of the tough night prior that the crew endures, with the turnover looming. We do notice that the crew we have had a lot of interaction with remain pretty much the same. On our last sailing, there was a young lady who made toast in the Oceanview who made everyone's day more enjoyable every day, including the last morning. I think the last morning shows which of the crew really enjoy people, & which are merely doing their job during the sailing. As long as it!s inly noticeable on thr last day, i give them a pass.

Since we sail mostly Celebrity, but also enjoyed our 4 Princess sailings, i am looking forward to your comparison of each.

Edited by richsea

The second video shows the promenade deck, deck 5 port and later starboard.

This is for Promenade Deck nerds of which I am one. It's nice to take a longish walk and enjoy that sea air (or cigarette smoke on port side).I have the deck to myself which is exactly how I like my decks.

Interesting to note is that later when I was out here every blue overalled deck crew member that passed me smiled and said "good morning sir!" That was refreshing. These are the guys who live and work out of sight most of the time yet they represented the brand very well. Kudos to them!

[YOUTUBE]J-5YeA2dl8k[/YOUTUBE]

Last morning is hugely stressful for the crew on several levels. Typically a change-over day is when some will be ending contracts - and there is a whole crazy protocol for that including where to be when in addition to whatever final duties they have (and for servers this can mean working breakfast before that). Some bartenders are preparing to change locations (at least a few lines will rotate the bartenders every few weeks so that no one feels "stuck" at a less popular bar (typically meaning less tips) for an entire contract) in addition to getting ready for a whole new group of passengers. Cabin stewards are preparing to completely flip cabins for new occupants. Etc. All this while attempting to still be cordial - and saying good-bye to (according to some cruisers anyway) new BFFs. Turnover day is a (hopefully) well-orchestrated machine with every cog working as it should.

All that is not to excuse brusqueness but just to point out that turnover day is hugely stressful day for the crew - and I don't think any of us are at our best when hugely stressed. :)

I have been enjoying your cruise Norris, as i hsve enjoyed all your others, particularly ypur Emerald cruise.thanks for bringing us! We sailed Silhouette on a TA in 2014, & agree that she is beautiful!

With regard to the "last morning" change of attitude, we've noticed that in varying degress on all of our sailings, regardless of line. There is always a different vibe on the mornig of the last day. It could partially be because of the tough night prior that the crew endures, with the turnover looming. We do notice that the crew we have had a lot of interaction with remain pretty much the same. On our last sailing, there was a young lady who made toast in the Oceanview who made everyone's day more enjoyable every day, including the last morning. I think the last morning shows which of the crew really enjoy people, & which are merely doing their job during the sailing. As long as it!s inly noticeable on thr last day, i give them a pass.

Since we sail mostly Celebrity, but also enjoyed our 4 Princess sailings, i am looking forward to your comparison of each.

Rich, hi and welcome. I'm glad you read the Emerald review and all the others!

Re the people I met in the buffet. Turnover day I imagine to be the same as any other- they have no extra meals to serve. Ditto the MDR who will actually get a break as they don't serve lunch and can be helping out elsewhere, unloading stores for the galley etc.

The room stewards on turnaround day just have a time limit as the expectations are that the rooms will be ready for say, 1.30 pm. To their advantage the rooms are empty at 8 a.m.They are just doing their normal workload-make up the room then come back hours later to see the new guests and later still turn down the room.

Unless I am missing something the only crew really under the gun on turnaround day are the loading crew with their forklifts and the stores crew who have to replenish the bars and restaurants and supply cupboards for the room stewards.

The luggage coming aboard may be distributed by spare bar waiters, deckhands, shop staff etc as it's a one time task. For an example: on Princess the staff that serve us breakfast in Sabatini's, which is closed on disembarkation morning, are used to do wheelchair duty to help those passengers off the ship.

We all have those busy days at work but smiling and saying "good morning sir" only takes less than 2 seconds (I just timed myself) and you can even continue laying out the tray of bacon while you say it. Although it didn't ruin my cruise that I was ignored I don't think there is any good excuse.

As someone who has worked in a service industry for many years I am always amused at some of the claims of retailers, restaurants, hotel chains whose Mission Statement can usually be boiled down to "Exceed our guest's expectations!" Macy's for example purports to practice MAGIC selling, where the M stands for "Meet and engage the customer". I pop into one of the biggest Macy's in the USA which has 9 huge floors. I am invisible. They are all talking to each other, drinking soda or checking Facebook etc. A simple " good morning, what can I help you find today sir?" might get a sale to put in the register.

You get help if you go find someone and ask for it. Poor supervision.

Cruise ship Captain Norris would be all over the ship upon taking command. I would dress incognito in street clothes the week before my command began and walk around like a passenger. On this voyage I would have been happy with most of what I saw my future crew doing but on the last morning I would have been taking names. The officers are responsible for setting the standards of their crews. I met one officer a few times during the week who never acknowledged me once so I can only imagine how passionate he is when training his staff.

Yes it's a long winded answer but there are things I am passionate about-like being acknowledged as a paying guest in a business that would shrink tomorrow

without repeat business.

Re the Princess/Celebrity comparison, I've been going back and forth on whether it's worth doing or not. I don't think it's been done at length which is one reason to try it and as some sail only Princess and some sail only X without being aware of what each offers or suffer from misconceptions that might be reason # 2.

Norris

I know in one of the videos I say it's Saturday January 24th when it was of course Sunday. I'm so used to Saturday to Saturday sailings.

Here's the video of us returning to our berth.

[YOUTUBE]MfXKGQClCJw[/YOUTUBE]

Great review Norris...I've been following along and have really enjoyed it! We sailed on Silhouette a couple of years ago and it is really a beautiful ship.

I agree, it is unsettling to not be greeted. Is it possible the crew members didn't say anything because you were filming, and they didn't want to interrupt? I always try to be quiet when someone around me is video recording something. Just a thought!

Thanks again for taking the time to post all of the photos- and I've loved your sense of humor! Do I get an autographed pillow chocolate wrapper????

Great review Norris...I've been following along and have really enjoyed it! We sailed on Silhouette a couple of years ago and it is really a beautiful ship.

I agree, it is unsettling to not be greeted. Is it possible the crew members didn't say anything because you were filming, and they didn't want to interrupt? I always try to be quiet when someone around me is video recording something. Just a thought!

Thanks again for taking the time to post all of the photos- and I've loved your sense of humor! Do I get an autographed pillow chocolate wrapper????

Hi-nice to see you here! I'm glad you've enjoyed the review so far.

No I wasn't filming when I went to the buffet for coffee. Just walking through.

Sadly the chocolate wrappers are all gone-I'll get more next January and hoard them like a squirrel.

Norris

Hello Norris, I've finally made it. Been trying to catch up with your posts for the last ten days, need to get my breath back now. 'Met' you during your Emerald cruise last year, have read the Venice - Rome report since then too.

Have really enjoyed your Gentleman's Journal. Amazing photos again, the sunrise ones are beautiful and I loved being shown round such a gorgeous ship. Your sense of humour is much appreciated I have laughed out loud, makes the rest of the family wonder what I am reading. The comment about the waiter, the rack and the asparagus - so funny. Loved the reference to northerners too, with 'I'll go to the foot of our stairs' people do really say that believe me!

Glad you are both well after your ordeal and I look forward to reading about your next trip. Will endeavour to check out some of your Alaska reviews in the meantime.

Thank you for entertaining me so well,

Linda

24676463749_767f14e96d_b.jpg

We back into our berth on pier 25

24676470079_f77da88ed2_b.jpg

Down to the cabin to pack up my hand luggage and such before breakfast. Breakfast is in Blu as usual but at 7 a.m today. Then it's back to the room

24417248133_c64c2780e0_b.jpg

One last look

24950813931_45ac886e0a_b.jpg

I find our room steward team and gave them their tip envelope. I called the butler and left him a message telling him where to find his envelope.

Our waiting room assigned was Tuscan Grille but we had a hard time getting an elevator. Some of those waiting with us jumped on one that was going up out of desperation. We decided that the Hideway would be a better place to wait anyway as it was quiet so we set up camp there.

With the heavy snowfall causing chaos to travel in the North East we were happy not to be going straight to the airport as so many were judging by the transfer buses on the dock. We were in no rush to get off the ship as we were booking into the Marriott again.

We met some nice X cruisers in the Hideway- Cathy from Nashville and her husband. While Carol and she chatted I spent time out on deck 5 watching the long line of disembarked passengers in the walkway to the baggage pick-up and Customs Hall. It was a 48 degree day and breezy. The line stretched from the aft gangway to the bow of the ship....probably 800 feet. In pier 2 where we usually sail from you are undercover and inside when you step off the gangway.

It's just us and the people doing a B2B left by the time we and 3 passengers in wheelchairs get off the ship to join that long long line in the cold at 10.15.

We let the wheelchairs go ahead and there's no one behind us now as we shuffle forward a foot or two at a time. It's cold. Some aren't dressed for it as they figured Florida is always short-sleeve weather.

After an hour we are in the warmth of the baggage hall and I can't find our bags.

I ask a uniformed lady and when I tell her we were in a suite she tells me to go

back to the last room. There are our two cases all alone. Now we can proceed.

We both have Global Entry privileges and that saves us from waiting with the other 300 or so people in line. We waltz (more like a samba) up to the counter.

I don't have my Global Entry card or my Green card as they were stolen but while I am waiting for them ("the new Green Card can take 9 months") I have a stamp in my British Passport that smooths my path.

"Welcome home, Norris"

"Thank you, thank you very much!"

Ten minutes later we are in a cab and heading to the beach- Marriott Harbor Beach!

I catch the Silhouette in the rear view mirror. Hope to see her again!

(to be continued)

Hi Norris,

I'm still on board and enjoying your fine photos and prose.

I hope you do a comparison review of X and Princess. I have sailed Princess 4, times and X 4,times. I have mostly only good things to say about both.

Thanks for your time in doing this thread,

Mark

What would be the advantage of doing what you have suggested?

They will give you even more perks. If you have all the perks already from Celebrity, they will give you a percentage of the cruise cost in on board credit.

For example: On our last cruise we booked a sky suite for a 14 day Caribbean cruise while on board. We were given (from X) free gratuities, $650 on board credit, premium beverage package and free unlimited internet. All 4 perks.

Then when we transferred to our TA we received an additional $750 on board credit. It's refundable credit so likely we'll have most of that returned to our credit card at the end of the cruise.

That $750 extra (or whatever it is) is the reason we transfer.

We took a few cruises before we met people on board who were talking about it and we wondered why they transferred. Once we heard why, we did it on our next cruise and have used the same lady at the TA ever since.

Edited by ClaudiaB

Hi Norris

Thank you again for an enjoyable review. The picture with all of the luggage sitting outside the staterooms, is the saddest picture in any travelogue.:( We will be sailing on the Silhouette in September, so it was nice to see all of the interior photos. We too, also sail Princess and we like choosing between these two lines.

All the best, Denise

Norris,

As I posted early on in your wonderful narrative, I will be sailing on the Silhouette at the end of this month. I can't tell you enough how enjoyable I have found your prose and pictures. I want to add, that based on your review, my sister and I have decided to book the Marriott Beach Harbor for our pre-cruise stay.

Lesa