Norwegian Dawn Upgrade?

jomoin

We've booked a 9th floor inside cabin on the Norwegian Dawn on March 6th. In checking the current pricing, the category room we've booked is now $300 less. We've contacted NCL to see about an upgrade and the only thing they would offer is a porthole room on deck 4. We are not so sure that would actually be an upgrade. I know technically a porthole cabin is always considered an upgrade over an inside cabin, but I question the location on deck 4. They refused to offer any other type of compensation for the difference is price. Any other thoughts on this? We sailed on other lines having OV and inside cabins and have never really thought the OV was worth the actual $$$ to us. This is our 40th anniversary trip and the first time with NCL. I must say our initial opinion of NCL isn't terribly high at this point.

I'm glad you posted this. Pricing for rooms we have pre-paid is now 900$ less - same boat and same week. Hoping my travel agent will (finally) be useful?? at least I've sent her the screen shots and asked her to look into it. fingers crossed.

If the cruise price had increased, would it be fair for you to have to pay the higher price? It's a business, prices change and anything they offer you after final payment is above and beyond anything they're required to do.

I can see that logic, if it were all just pricing. but the bonuses are better, and if they're giving away free stuff, they should accommodate those who ask. By your logic, if a store starts offering a "free gift with purchase" and you haven't left the store from your purchase, shouldn't they honor that, if asked?

RSFCruiser, I agree it is a business and NCL needs to make money. I just feel with all the upgrades and extras I see others getting, NCL could offer something to acknowledge our extra payment. They certainly are not REQUIRED to do anything. Something could be said for good customer service.....

Lanameister, lots of luck to you. Hopefully your TA will come thru for you!

We've booked a 9th floor inside cabin on the Norwegian Dawn on March 6th. In checking the current pricing, the category room we've booked is now $300 less. We've contacted NCL to see about an upgrade and the only thing they would offer is a porthole room on deck 4. We are not so sure that would actually be an upgrade. I know technically a porthole cabin is always considered an upgrade over an inside cabin, but I question the location on deck 4. They refused to offer any other type of compensation for the difference is price. Any other thoughts on this? We sailed on other lines having OV and inside cabins and have never really thought the OV was worth the actual $$$ to us. This is our 40th anniversary trip and the first time with NCL. I must say our initial opinion of NCL isn't terribly high at this point.

I agree, and NCL only prices the two rooms about two hundred dollars apart. In your post on another thread I mentioned the benefits of this room over more expensive OV's on deck 5, and I actually have a porthole booked the same week on a different ship (only to get the choose two promo). I would have preferred an inside on a higher deck. At this point you have a few possibilities. Stay where you are and NCL might give you 25% of the price difference as OBC. Take the "uprgade", or wait until two weeks out and try for an upsell to a better category. Those are more than the choices I currently have, but I booked knowing that I may be in a deck 4 OV and that is okay.

Lanameister, OP left the store with product in hand. Now, a while later, he sees the price is lower and a better promo is offered. Promos come and go, savvy shoppers watch what is being offered. If NCL feels gracious they may offer OP up to 25% in OBC which is more than they have to (which is nothing). Luckily OP has a few possibilities.

Edited by Boschmann

Thank you, Boschmann, for your reply. We'll stay put for the time being. As first time NCL customers, we are interested to see how NCL's customer service really is. Like you said, it would be considerate of them to at least offer some OBC for the difference.

Edited by jomoin

[quote name=jomoin;48889743

Lanameister' date=' lots of luck to you. Hopefully your TA will come thru for you![/quote]

TA was able to get us $150 credit for our MB category room and $65 for our OV room. So it never hurts to ask!!! Better than nothing. These companies SHOULD be about customer service and encouraging return guests.

• 2 weeks later...

Lanameister, I'm glad your TA was able to get something out of NCL. Congrats! We just noticed NCL is now offering a guaranteed balcony for less money than what we paid for our inside cabin. We called to see if we could upgrade and they refused. We also asked if they would consider offering us any of the nicer "extras" such as the UBP since we apparently overpaid for our indoor cabin, and they also refused. I asked very nicely, but no go. We are definitely not impressed with NCL's cust serv! As a first time cruiser on NCL, I can vouch that the other cruise lines are definitely more generous and willing to work with the customer.

We had an 11th floor inside cabin on the Dawn, and found it to be very conveniently located to most things. If I remember correctly, deck 4 is the deck used for getting on and off the ship in the ports, which could make things rather hectic for you.

Were the choice mine, I would definitely stay on deck 9 and maybe try to negotiate something closer to sailing.

Edited by clean1owner

I think it all depends on who you get at NCL. We're on the Star Feb 28th and oceanview Gty is cheaper than what we paid for inside gty. I called my TA and asked them to check on how much it would cost to upgrade to OV or Balcony. They game back and advised $18 for OV or $400 for balcony. We ended up going with the balcony and got to keep our perks. This was yesterday, so about 2 weeks before our sail date

• 1 month later...

A month later, how was your trip and cabin?

We just called the ncl upgrade line yesterday and paid $400 pp to go from an inside cabin to a family suite with balcony! Not a bad purchase for first time NCL cruisers. I'm quite impressed!

We upselled from a balcony to an family suite with balcony for $400pp too!! I am so happy!! Ours is the May 8th 10 day cruise!!

Edited by pathubia

We just called the ncl upgrade line yesterday and paid $400 pp to go from an inside cabin to a family suite with balcony! Not a bad purchase for first time NCL cruisers. I'm quite impressed!

That's awesome! How far out was this before your sailing? I've called the upsell line several times and was told I couldn't upgrade from an OV to a mini suite until the week prior to sailing. I'm a newbie too :)

Edited by SummerLovin1

What was the offer?

350 pp for family suite no balcony.

500 pp penthouse suites

500 pp family suite with balcony

750pp 2br2bath suites

I think the rest were 1000 pp

I really wanted the family with balcony I offered 375 pp they countered with 400 pp and we accepted

350 pp for family suite no balcony.

500 pp penthouse suites

500 pp family suite with balcony

750pp 2br2bath suites

I think the rest were 1000 pp

I really wanted the family with balcony I offered 375 pp they countered with 400 pp and we accepted

Congratulations! That's great news. I remember you were hoping to get an upsell for this trip. I am so glad did! Enjoy!

We are 2 and half weeks away from ours...can't wait!

Congratulations! That's great news. I remember you were hoping to get an upsell for this trip. I am so glad did! Enjoy!

We are 2 and half weeks away from ours...can't wait!

Thanks!! It was strange, from the day they announced the addition of this cruise, the suite prices were sky high. The SJ was 2699 per person. Even though it's a 10 day, it seemed high.

Thanks!! It was strange, from the day they announced the addition of this cruise, the suite prices were sky high. The SJ was 2699 per person. Even though it's a 10 day, it seemed high.

I know exactly what you mean. I have seen the same thing across the board with suite prices. We actually ended up booking a Princess Cruise for our Alaska trip in 2017 because the prices for NCL were $3,000 higher for the same thing. I was really disappointed because I would prefer NCL but the prices are forcing us to look elsewhere

40th Anniversary Congrats! Splurge and upgrade to a balcony or a suite, you will not be disappointed.

• 1 month later...