FT Lauderdale sticker shock

steelcity5044

What's up with hotel prices in FLL March 3-5th!!! They are more than doubled from what I have usually paid, even during Spring Break. Is there a convention, movie shooting, something I'm missing?????

It's actually cheaper to stay in Miami but I'm actually flying into and porting out of FLL this time.

What's up with hotel prices in FLL March 3-5th!!! They are more than doubled from what I have usually paid, even during Spring Break. Is there a convention, movie shooting, something I'm missing?????

It's actually cheaper to stay in Miami but I'm actually flying into and porting out of FLL this time.

It's peak season.

Cruisers make up a small percentage of our tourism. Europeans and South Americans stay at hotels for weeks at a time.

Plus we have such a wealthy tourism base. They don't think twice about paying those prices.

Edited by BlueHerons

DH and I talked about this during our recent visit. With people feeling comfortable in their employment and lots of boomers retiring with money in their accounts, this only adds to what Blue Herons stated. People traveling means the demand allows for higher rates.

We just pause, then smile and enjoy the fact we are healthy and able to vacation in warmer climates.;) No use looking back.

With air prices up; hotel prices up and cruise prices up -- we have stop going to South Florida Xmas -- the end of March*. We are going to Houston this spring break and LA for next Xmas. Cancelled a Celebrity cruise for March and an NCL cruise for Thanksgiving (all were leaving out of South Florida).

I have a "pending" spring break cruise for March, 2017. We will see how prices pan out.

*as of now.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Edited by kelmac

I booked a room at the Embassy Suites several months ago for March 9-12. Prices were high, but I knew it was March break and I wanted to ensure I had something reserved while I waited for a lower price. I have an AARP rate of $236 per night. AARP rate is now showing at $269.... glad I booked when I did. Am also wanting to book a couple nights in November. Other hotels are at the usual lower rate I can generally get in November, but ES is at $219! I'll be watching that one for a lower rate as I won't pay that for November. Hilton Marina is at $111 and Gallery 1 at $99. (MVP rates), which is in line for what I normally pay for ES - paid $118 November 2015.

I booked a room at the Embassy Suites several months ago for March 9-12. Prices were high, but I knew it was March break and I wanted to ensure I had something reserved while I waited for a lower price. I have an AARP rate of $236 per night. AARP rate is now showing at $269.... glad I booked when I did. Am also wanting to book a couple nights in November. Other hotels are at the usual lower rate I can generally get in November, but ES is at $219! I'll be watching that one for a lower rate as I won't pay that for November. Hilton Marina is at $111 and Gallery 1 at $99. (MVP rates), which is in line for what I normally pay for ES - paid $118 November 2015.

November is getting into peak season for us especially since the boat show is now November 3-7. It's the busiest week of the year for Fort Lauderdale.

It is all about supply and demand and what people are wiling to pay.

We've been going to Southern Florida for several years and the price went up and then went down for a couple of years following the economic collapse and has gone up the past few years.

Keith

It is all about supply and demand and what people are wiling to pay.

We've been going to Southern Florida for several years and the price went up and then went down for a couple of years following the economic collapse and has gone up the past few years.

Keith

After the fall of 2001, Spring 2003, and 2008, prices plummeted here. You used to be able to get a room downtown Miami for $35 at the Hyatt.

The Riverside used to run $59 dollar specials in season.

We used to drive to Lake City, FL, and spend the night. Then we would drive to FLL and spend the night. The night in FLL was always expensive. Now, we drive to Ocala and spend the night for about $140 at a Hampton. Then we drive to FLL to catch the ship that same day. It's about a four hour drive from Ocala to FLL so we get to the port at just the right time to board.

Well, I just checked Riverside Hotel again as we were really hoping to stay there again and low and behold a price drop!

Standard queen $251 and two queen executive $297 with AAA. Still higher than normal but a savings from what it just was yesterday!

With air prices up; hotel prices up and cruise prices up -- we have stop going to South Florida Xmas -- the end of March*. We are going to Houston this spring break and LA for next Xmas. Cancelled a Celebrity cruise for March and an NCL cruise for Thanksgiving (all were leaving out of South Florida).

I have a "pending" spring break cruise for March, 2017. We will see how prices pan out.

*as of now.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hi Kel,

I remember you and Lauren from our Celebrity Spring break cruise several years ago I when I was with my kids Abby and Amanda. They are now 21 and 18. I am booked in mid March on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and was surprised to see how high the hotels are. I am going with 2 friends, we are going to stay at a Residence Inn in Plantation and will rent a car as we get in the day before the cruise. We are flying back to Denver after the cruise through Miami, the FLL flights were all too expensive. Hope prices for cruises, hotels, and airfare come down again next year.

Dale in Boulder

Hi Kel,

I remember you and Lauren from our Celebrity Spring break cruise several years ago I when I was with my kids Abby and Amanda. They are now 21 and 18. I am booked in mid March on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and was surprised to see how high the hotels are. I am going with 2 friends, we are going to stay at a Residence Inn in Plantation and will rent a car as we get in the day before the cruise. We are flying back to Denver after the cruise through Miami, the FLL flights were all too expensive. Hope prices for cruises, hotels, and airfare come down again next year.

Dale in Boulder

Hi Dale,

Hard to believe that Amanda and Abby are that old! :eek: Lauren and I were scheduled to sail on the Reflection in March, but the cost of everything just left a bad taste and we decided to switch to NCL out of Houston. We can get N/S flights to Houston Hobby at about 1/2 the price of flying to FLL or MIA.

I'm with you about next year, as we have the Silhouette scheduled for March, 2017.

Nice to hear from you again and enjoy your cruise!

Kelly:)

I am going to have to rob a bank to pay for our hotel room. Embassy booked for 284 a night. Kept waiting for price to drop but that never happened. We will be there February 27th.

Your dates are peak season and Fort Lauderdale is packed.

I had to walk down the street IN the street to get home from my office on Las Olas Saturday night the sidewalks were so packed.