Review Celebrity Eclipse Jan. 10-24, 2016

ROWSE

Next stop was the Chichi Factory. I decided I must have led

a sheltered life, as I have never heard or seen a chichi before.

We did not have the need or space to buy one of these.

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

Apparently they mold them out here and then stay at home mom's take them and paint them so they don't have to leave their children. Now that I am in favor of!

IMG_2732.jpg

It was quite a drive to Hato Caves.

This was the highlight of the tour for sure. Even though I don't have steller pictures due to the lighting or lack there of, and the fact that you

were only allowed to take pictures in a few spots, it was amazing.

IMG_2737.jpg

There were a lot of steps to walk so if you have any mobility issues, this is not for you.

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

There were iguana all over the place. We love to see them.

IMG_2749.jpg

We were returned to the ship area and jumped back on for some lunch then off again to explore. Our plan for the second day was to ride the bus out to Mambo beach area. We wanted to check out where to do this at.

Along the way we came across the Floating Farmer's Market.

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

After finding where we would catch the bus tomorrow and the times, we explored some more.

This sign of the word Dushi is in their park. It means a kind of endearment.

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

Now we felt perfectly safe wandering around in the day, but in this particular area, we would not have felt good at night.

Here is a picture taken while standing on the floating bridge.

IMG_2757.jpg

I almost forgot to mention that we were able to get free wifi from our

balcony room. This was wonderful for the overnight.

We again had an early dinner. This is a picture of my Merlot

showing the generous pour. With the drink package they pretty

much keep it filled till you yell Uncle!

IMG_2760.jpg

This is the little butter dish set out each night. We so loved the Hummus part of it.

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

The show tonight was wonderful. A Billy Joel tribute by David Guidice. He was an amazing piano player and singer as well.

IMG_2764.jpg

We ended another glorious day tired from all our steps we put in today.

Stay tuned for more tomorrow.

Am SO enjoying your review and all the wonderful pics! And especially because you are vegetarians like I am. Have you seen any special vegetarian menus? It sounds like you found plenty to eat. I do eat dairy, including cheese, and eggs. Anything that did not have parents actually. Will be sailing Eclipse in April so am especially enjoying anything you can say about what looks like a wonderful ship. Thanks!

Loving your review! We will be on the 2/21 sailing so reading your review is really making the excitement build. One question- would you recommend the excursion you took in Curacao or would you prefer one that only went to the caves?

Can't wait to read more!

Hi

Love your pics thanks for posting

We were on the sailing and also had a great time

Linda

Glad to hear from you Linda!

Hopefully this will give you some reminders of how wonderful it was!

Am SO enjoying your review and all the wonderful pics! And especially because you are vegetarians like I am. Have you seen any special vegetarian menus? It sounds like you found plenty to eat. I do eat dairy, including cheese, and eggs. Anything that did not have parents actually. Will be sailing Eclipse in April so am especially enjoying anything you can say about what looks like a wonderful ship. Thanks!

Welcome GordonJasmine!

Thank you for reading along. I did not ask for a vegetarian menu. There always seemed to be something on the regular menu, and if you eat cheese, well then you are good to go.

We did eat fish a few times even though it is never eaten at home, but we can't be perfect on cruises. As soon as we get home it is all back to status quo.

April should be a lovely time of year to cruise!

Loving your review! We will be on the 2/21 sailing so reading your review is really making the excitement build. One question- would you recommend the excursion you took in Curacao or would you prefer one that only went to the caves?

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you coming along SharonK!

About 3 weeks till your cruise, how exciting! We love all kinds of quirky excursions, so we enjoyed seeing all the things besides the caves. It was a really good price for all the entrance fees included. The caves alone would not be much to fill a morning/day as it is a tour and then you're done. Can't stay in there on your own. If you want a short tour, though, it would be great.

Enjoying the review. I will be on that ship back to back starting 2-21-2016. Looks like your having a great time!

Welcome Grindem!

Back to Back, how wonderful! We pretty much had to be dragged off after 14 days. We would have so loved to stay, so lucky you!

Thank you coming along SharonK!

About 3 weeks till your cruise, how exciting! We love all kinds of quirky excursions, so we enjoyed seeing all the things besides the caves. It was a really good price for all the entrance fees included. The caves alone would not be much to fill a morning/day as it is a tour and then you're done. Can't stay in there on your own. If you want a short tour, though, it would be great.

Thanks for your input. We do not have anything planned for Curacao so still looking for ideas.

Since our balcony faced the port I did see people going on and off the ship

at all hours for our overnight in Curacao. They keep someone out there all night and never say you have to be back on board until that second day at 4:45 for a 5:00 sail away.

That is another plus on Celebrity versus Princess. They only ask you to be back on board 15 minutes before sailing and Princess is 30.

So, we wake early and eat some fruit and nuts, and off the ship by 8:00. The bus was scheduled at 8:30. It is a long walk over that floating bridge, past the farmer's market and around a big souvenir plaza, so we walked quickly.

Our objective today was to go to the Sea Aquarium and Mambo Beach. We had snorkel gear and all. I thought we would swim, so I left the cell phone and took only our underwater camera. Alas, when we tried to take a picture the camera was dead. DANG!!! Live and learn, always charge those things every day! Note, these are NOT taxis.

We got to the bus terminal and many buses came and went but no 6A. To take the bus it is $1 per person. I saw vans across the street with Mambo beach on them, it is right beside the Aquarium, but thought they would be expensive. We wait and wait and finally I just went over and asked the van driver their price. They are $2 per person each way. Well, DANDY!!! We hop on in and they take us to the Sea Aquarium.

She took us to the front door, and I doubt the bus does that. Lots of locals use these rather than waiting for that bus it looks like. The Sea Aquarium was $21 each. That was very pricey for what this was, but such is life. It was overcast and rainy on and off, so a good thing to do in that weather.

They have a little sea lion show, and a dolphin show. Very short, and this is no Sea World, so if you go, low expectations are the best. They kept things very clean and well maintained. Would I do it again? No!

As I stated Mambo Beach is just outside of the Sea Aquarium area and we walked over to it. The weather was not perfect, and it was close to lunch, so we chose not to spend the money to enter the beach and rent chairs. The price to do that, though is very reasonable. Around $3, I think, and about $5 or $6 for the loungers that is all per person. They have different types, some in sun, some in shade. Prices vary.

You are able to walk the back area and all the restaurants without paying, and we did that and ate some yummy hummus with pitas and some fries at the Green House. Really tasty!!!

There is a huge barrier reef wall, and this is where I so wish I had pictures!

This was a very clean and beautiful area. If we go again someday, we will start early and have a whole day here.

Then we found the area where the taxi's are and those vans come into, and we didn't have long to wait till one came in dropping off people. We rode this back to town again for $2 each. They come back to the bus terminal area.

Back on the ship and had a lovely nap in the Solarium. Then we watched the movie the Intern in a little area called Celebrity Central. That was such a fun movie!

So sorry on the lack of pictures today. Once back on I had my cell phone again.

A few more of some ship areas.

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

What a great review!

I'm curious about the pub - don't remember that from sailing on the Eclipse, but it has been several years so it may have been added later. Did they still have the wine tasting room?

Thank you SuiteTraveler!

I believe that Gartrobar Pub was added recently. I will report on it in coming days. The wine room I think you refer to is there, although we did not do any wine tasting.

IMG_2576.jpg

Here are some pictures off the balcony on our second day. A RCCL, Vision of the Sea, is the ship in the distance. By afternoon it was not overcast and rainy anymore!

DSCF3927.jpg

DSCF3929.jpg

On the second photo far off in the distance you can just make out the smoke stacks. At night some of them glow with fire. This is an oil refinery as far as I understood, and the pollution in that area is fierce. People are sick all the time is what yesterday's tour guide told us. So sad!

We had our Main Dining room dinner and then to the show at 9:00 with entertainer Jordan Bennet. He was an excellent singer and more. We also attended the Wedding Game in the theater a little after. Very funny as usual. We go to bed late, glad it is a sea day tomorrow!

We awaken early even though were were up so late. Time changes

do strange things to us!

After some Yoga, we had a dining room breakfast the first and only time

this cruise. It was fantastic.

Then we were off to a long morning of laying in that hot beautiful sunshine. Our perch was beside the Mast Grill area overlooking the bottom pool. It was so entertaining to people watch!

Met a wonderful couple, Helen and Paul, from Tronto, and we had a lovely time chatting, eating and drinking!

We loved the veggie burger served at this Mast Grill.

Today there was a matinee show of Hypnotist, Ryan Joyce, who also did the Illusionist show on Aruba night. He was amazing and our fellow passengers were very funny!

Later that night the show was both David Guidice and Jordan Bennet combined. We decided to skip it since they had done other shows. Hopefully anyone attending had a wonderful show.

Thank you SO much for posting this review.

We board in 9 days :D so this is making me even more excited (if that's possible).

Would you happen to remember any of the names of the Glass Show artists?

I'm fascinated by watching them create and spend hours and hours up there watching.

For the person that asked about the Gastrobar - it's where the Passport bar was.

They changed the name, added some refrigerators for specialty beers and offer food in the afternoon.

The Wine Cellar is still in place on the Eclipse.

I looked out the window and saw fog today. It was one of those days!

Rainy, sun, rainy, sun, etc.

I got a few pictures coming in.

DSCF3930.jpg

DSCF3931.jpg

DSCF3932.jpg

DSCF3933.jpg

My hubby often ran upstairs to the Ocean View Cafe and brought us down breakfast. Nothing beats breakfast on your balcony!

DSCF3934.jpg

Thank you SO much for posting this review.

We board in 9 days :D so this is making me even more excited (if that's possible).

Would you happen to remember any of the names of the Glass Show artists?

I'm fascinated by watching them create and spend hours and hours up there watching.

For the person that asked about the Gastrobar - it's where the Passport bar was.

They changed the name, added some refrigerators for specialty beers and offer food in the afternoon.

The Wine Cellar is still in place on the Eclipse.

Hello chamima! Glad to have you along. You are so lucky to only have a short wait left!

Regarding the glass blowers names; I only remember first names, at least I hope I have them right. There was Aaron, not sure on spelling, who was the veteran of the group with I think 16 years of experience. Heather joined on our cruise, and Jordan who was the dark haired young man, and I think was possibly leaving after our cruise.

They were all just wonderful!

Hello chamima! Glad to have you along. You are so lucky to only have a short wait left!

Regarding the glass blowers names; I only remember first names, at least I hope I have them right. There was Aaron, not sure on spelling, who was the veteran of the group with I think 16 years of experience. Heather joined on our cruise, and Jordan who was the dark haired young man, and I think was possibly leaving after our cruise.

They were all just wonderful!

Thank you !

I thought I recognized Aaron. (his last name is Jack, if I remember correctly) :D

Edited by chamima

I too am enjoying your review and pictures of our February cruise.

A really basic question from someone with no Celebrity status and its laundry privileges, can you remember if they had any 'by the bag' specials' and if pressing is included with any laundry as on HAL. It's been some time since our first and only Celebrity cruise.

Thank you in advance,

Ruth