Fly into Miami/Getting to FLL?

kimblythe

Question or pointers....we normally always fly into FLL but for some reason we grabbed flights at a lower fare going into Miami. Can anyone give any pointers on transportation? We are traveling as a group of 6, so there is quite a few of us/luggage. We have been thinking about maybe just renting a car to get to FLL, might be cheaper? We are flying in a day early. Can we rent a car and drop at the port? Has anyone had luck with this? Or should we just look to get a taxi? I am thinking cost might get high on that?

I sure the mods will move this to the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

where this topic is discussed daily. Car rental is one option, but shuttle is probably the better option, and there are many threads with recommended vendors.

For a group of 6 a limo might be cheaper than the shuttle - and definitely cheaper than a Princess transfer.

Do check out the Florida board as CruiserBruce suggests.

A thorough answer posted on the Florida Departures Board (thanks to JohninDC):

From MIA airport to Fort Lauderdale hotels you can take a taxi ($75-80+ on the meter), private car service (check with Larry's Limos, John's car service, and Go Airport) or shared shuttle service (American Shuttle, Super Shuttle, & Go Airport).

Question or pointers....we normally always fly into FLL but for some reason we grabbed flights at a lower fare going into Miami. Can anyone give any pointers on transportation? We are traveling as a group of 6, so there is quite a few of us/luggage. We have been thinking about maybe just renting a car to get to FLL, might be cheaper? We are flying in a day early. Can we rent a car and drop at the port? Has anyone had luck with this? Or should we just look to get a taxi? I am thinking cost might get high on that?

If you have enough time and you can manage your luggage, Tri-rail is way to go. If you have too many pieces of luggage, you need to arrange car rental- it will cost you 60-80 $ .

We are coming from Fargo, ND and tickets have been terribly expensive...we have always paid about 500...and they have been hanging around 730/800 for the past 6 months. One day I just caught a random sale and found them for about 560.00...I figured I would go into Miami for that.

Edited by kimblythe

You can also consider an Uber. I went to the Uber Estimate Page (http://uberestimate.com/costs.php) and this is the information I got for you from MIA to Port Everglades. You can change the To and From for exact charges.

ESTIMATED TOTAL COSTS

uberX: $31-41

uberX is Uber's budget option

Picks you up in your everyday car: Seats up to 4 people

uberXL: $68-91

UberBLACK is the luxury version of uberX

Picks you up in a high-end sedan (or luxury SUV if you're lucky): Seats up to 4

LUX: $84-111

UberXL is Uber's budget SUV option

Picks you up in your everyday SUV: Seats up to 6

LUX SUV: $166-220

UberSUV is the luxury version of UberXL

Picks you up in a high-end SUV (Escalade, Navigator, etc): Seats up to 6

We are coming from Fargo, ND and tickets have been terribly expensive...we have always paid about 500...and they have been hanging around 730/800 for the past 6 months. One day I just caught a random sale and found them for about 560.00...I figured I would go into Miami for that.

For the future, check out Airfare Watch Dog (http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/). You can setup alerts for low prices for the airports that you are looking into. You can setup all different types of alerts. I have them to my favorite cities. They send me an email weekly and if the price is right, we book an emergency vacation for an easy getaway.

You can get good price quotes as well on http://www.TravelZoo.com.

We used go airport on our last trip (although we flew into FLL and sailed from

Miami). Did a shared shuttle from the airport and a private car from the ship. Both went really well.

Had thought about just renting a car but was glad we didn't. Traffic in Miami turned in a mess both ways and the drivers knew how to get us around the messes without any problems.