Is there a 'right' time to do a World Cruise?

Is there a 'right' age?

Being in your 50s too young?

I don't think there is a 'right' age to do a World Cruise, but I think the younger you are the more you will enjoy it (yes there will be more older people on board, but that does not matter much), with out your body saying nooooo, I don't want to move today or if you get sick etc.. then it wont take as long to recover etc...

so I would say you are the right age :)

Are children catered for onboard RTW?

I have joined parts of a would cruise (like from San Francisco to Auckland) on the Queen Elizabeth) and Auckland to Sydney on the Sea Princess.

and I have seen children on-board (and one time one of them we did one of the kids on board did the whole world cruise), but most of them have only done half bit of the world cruise.

I would also check with the cruise line :).

I agree with Stu, if you have the time and the money, do it. You may be some of the youngest on board for all of the cruise but not for some segments. We have done a world cruise segment and we were among the younger crowd but by no means the only ones. (in our late 40s). There were also children and younger 25-35 family groups as well for that segment.:D

I think anytime is the right time. Not that I've done one YET.

Doubt you'll have many kids for the whole cruise.

A few reasons

1. Most can't take 3-4 months off school

2. Most parents with kids are themselves not in a position to take that me off work, nor have the funds to dedicate to it (if they're like us when hey had kids, the kids took up too much money).

3. Once you add a kid or two the fares get crazy.

But may have a few in some legs, especially if it covers school holidays.

For me the right time will be:

1. When we can afford it

2. When the kids are old enough not to come or pay for themselves :roll eyes:

It is certainly on our bucket list. I only wish RCI did a world cruise so we can take advantage of the benefits. We may have to start cruising Princess to gain loyalty points with them.

Is there a 'right' age?

Thankyou

My advice is do it sooner rather than later. Our first cruise was a 104 day world cruise and we loved it so much we have since done two more long cruises of +75 days and have booked for this years world cruise.

On the world cruise 2010 we were among the youngest on board mid 50's but that was no problem. Trust me it is easier to cope with the heat and multiple back to back ports when you are younger.

Do it now you never know what is around the corner.

Is there a 'right' age?

Thankyou

Never. I did my first world cruise on my own when I was 20 and was on the ship for 49 nights. Plenty of young ones come and go.

I love world cruising and think it attracts more lively happy people who want to live and experience the world than just sit and watch it and fade away in it. The atmosphere on world cruises can be as lively and young as you make it no matter what your age.

Never. I did my first world cruise on my own when I was 20 and was on the ship for 49 nights. Plenty of young ones come and go.

I love world cruising and think it attracts more lively happy people who want to live and experience the world than just sit and watch it and fade away in it. The atmosphere on world cruises can be as lively and young as you make it no matter what your age.

You mention you were on board for 49 nights, so you must have done a segment of the WC, not a World Cruise which normally takes 104 nights, including 64 or so sea days.:)

We have also done a segment of the WC, New York to Sydney, but I would never say "I did a world cruise" - it was a segment thereof.:)

You mention you were on board for 49 nights, so you must have done a segment of the WC, not a World Cruise which normally takes 104 nights, including 64 or so sea days.:)

We have also done a segment of the WC, New York to Sydney, but I would never say "I did a world cruise" - it was a segment thereof.:)

It was titled "world cruise" so as far as I am concerned that is exactly what it was. Typically the circumnavigation was 90 nights.

In 2002 I cruised from Sydney to Southampton and in 2007 I cruised from Southampton to Sydney so if you want to get really technical then I more than qualify for world cruise status. I have also done two other 31 night major world cruise sectors.

If you are on a major sector of a world cruise then you are on a "world cruise" you are going to far too many destinations for it to be anything else. You are still experiencing a world cruise. The sector cruises around Australia do not count.

Prior to 2004 P&O did "boomerang" cruises where they would send Aurora and Oriana in opposing directions and passengers would disembark one and take the other ship back to Southampton via a different route.

Out of all my cruises I have done 11 on major world cruise sectors. More than enough to qualify me to know what they are like.

In that case, we did a world cruise from Australia to South Africa on QM2, it was entitled World cruise despite really being segment. Ah well, crossed another thing off the bucket list with out realising it.:p

And me and Mrs should have done that little 7 nights on Quuen Vic, that was a World Segment might have quiet ended Mrs Gut down about a Wotld Cruise when I explained how we had already done one and in just 7 days no less.

Puts old Fogg and his 80 days to shame.

Is there a 'right' age?

Thankyou

Is there a right age ? No it is very much over to the individual.

However I am guded by the very very general statements from my "Medical Advisors" re age....

When you are 47.....your arms are not long enough to hold the paper away from you and you need glasses.......very essential to read the Menu in the Dining Room.:D

When you are 63......You start falling apart and thats when regular medication starts kicking in....:D

I have not gone any further than that.

If you are contemplating a WC, do it while you are fit and healthy.

As for children. I have only done segments, and have seen children on board, not many , but they do get thoroughly spoiled , as there will be many "Grandparents" and staff members doting over them. It might be best to do a trial cruise with your children and see just how much time and care would be needed.

Yep, Especially if you started and ended in the same country.:p

Yep. It was something like

Syd- Melb - KI - Adl - Syd

And a segment of a WC. Mrs Gut would have been impressed when I told her that was herWorld Cruise.:eek:

Is there a right age ? No it is very much over to the individual.

However I am guded by the very very general statements from my "Medical Advisors" re age....

When you are 47.....your arms are not long enough to hold the paper away from you and you need glasses.......very essential to read the Menu in the Dining Room.:D

When you are 63......You start falling apart and thats when regular medication starts kicking in....:D

I have not gone any further than that.

If you are contemplating a WC, do it while you are fit and healthy.

As for children. I have only done segments, and have seen children on board, not many , but they do get thoroughly spoiled , as there will be many "Grandparents" and staff members doting over them. It might be best to do a trial cruise with your children and see just how much time and care would be needed.

I agree, do it when you can both financially and health wise, you never know what is around the corner.:D

In that case, we did a world cruise from Australia to South Africa on QM2, it was entitled World cruise despite really being segment. Ah well, crossed another thing off the bucket list with out realising it.:p

If that is what the cruise was titled then you have been on the ship during its world cruise.

The short coastal sectors between Australian ports do not qualify but anything major where you have experienced the ship during a world cruise is counted.

With P&O the Sydney/Southampton sectors were definitely world cruises.

If that is what the cruise was titled then you have been on the ship during its world cruise.

The short coastal sectors between Australian ports do not qualify but anything major where you have experienced the ship during a world cruise is counted.

Rubbish...

A World Cruise is when you cruise right around the World in one go. The ship may be on a WC , but segment people, as you would well and truly know ,are looked down upon by the Worldies.

There is a definite segregation of passengers and the Full World Cruisers have special events and gifts laid on for them.

We gate crashed Arcadia's world cruise a couple of years back .... 28 nights worth...was it a world cruise ........no and we don't skite about it being one.... sheesh the ego of some.........:rolleyes:

Big difference between stating one has done a "world cruise" compared to one who has "cruised around the world". :D

I agree anytime is good for a world cruise if you have the time and the money go for it.... as for kids onboard world cruises each to their own but personally the likes of PO UK's Arcadia which is adults only is more attractive to us, great to have choice :D:D

Disclaimer: I have nothing against children I successfully raised two :D

I am sorry to say this, but this is your personal definition. When we did a long segment of a WC, I would say we have "been on a World Cruise" not that we "did a World Cruise". There is a world of difference. :)

Thanks so far for all your great and thought provoking replies :)

And no, although I am a mum, my teens and 20s will be here and overseas working n travelling doing their own thing and not cruising - it was a question to get the feel of 'who goes' on RTW cruises but thanks

Ive not long got home from work and last night my workmates were sayng "do it do it"!!!! all envious for me to make the decision to go lol - my boss will have to put me on Casual as I am a Contract worker but that should be OK - am sure it will be the start of 'long cruises' hehe and Cas would suit me better - no ties and my own decision making when I will be at work and when I will be travelling

A dream of mine was to reach Hammerfest and North Cape is 100 ks from there - as good as I reckon - and fabulous Iceland and Malta !!

Mum will be there in spirit - she loved cruising and the sea...

To be continued........ :D

Thanks so far for all your great and thought provoking replies :)

And no, although I am a mum, my teens and 20s will be here and overseas working n travelling doing their own thing and not cruising - it was a question to get the feel of 'who goes' on RTW cruises but thanks

Ive not long got home from work and last night my workmates were sayng "do it do it"!!!! all envious for me to make the decision to go lol - my boss will have to put me on Casual as I am a Contract worker but that should be OK - am sure it will be the start of 'long cruises' hehe and Cas would suit me better - no ties and my own decision making when I will be at work and when I will be travelling

A dream of mine was to reach Hammerfest and North Cape is 100 ks from there - as good as I reckon - and fabulous Iceland and Malta !!

Mum will be there in spirit - she loved cruising and the sea...

To be continued........ :D

Good stuff, do it and who cares what it is called, if it is a world cruise , a world cruise segment or a long cruise.:D