Senator calls for investagation into RC Anthem

Bonnie J.

If someone elects not to use an item of value (such as a 50% discount on a cruise, or a free lunch), that is his decision - it does not obliterate the value of that item.

An item can only have value to someone if they either treasure it or can use it. The fact that the cruise line sees value in a 50% credit does not mean that it has value to others.

It is in fact a chimera. The cruise line is actually insisting on further payment in order to receive this "benefit". Once the lawyers and accountants get done with it, I am reasonably confident that the 50% will be off the full list price with no other discounts allowed. Bringing the true cost to the user relatively close to what anyone else on the same sailing will pay.

Yea yea yea. Everything is a big conspiracy against royal. Thousands of people could have been dead because of them. An investigation is needed

In reading all your posts on loads of different threads you keep coming back to your statement that "thousands of people could have been dead". If I wasn't such a charitable person....I would be lead to believe that you are unutterably disappointed that this didn't happen!

Today's ships have access to the very latest weather instrumentation available. This storm should have been avoided. The ship could have easily navigated around it by taking an Easterly course. The captain's poor judgment needs to be investigated.

Anything to keep the customers happy, oops "Houston we have a problem" here is a judgment call that I'm sure the Captain consulted the HQ and they made the wrong call. I'm sure there are many judgment calls like this with some sailings. They are lucky something worse didn't happen.

A government hearing.. sigh, the most inefficient system on earth to manage anything. :rolleyes:

Yea yea yea. Everything is a big conspiracy against royal. Thousands of people could have been dead because of them. An investigation is needed

Every time a large ship sails "thousands of people" are closer to drowning than they would be had they not sailed.

The captain obviously believed it was safe to sail, the corporate headquarters most probably concurred - they certainly would have been consulted if the captain wanted to stay in port.

The bottom line, however, is that no one died - or even got seriously hurt - don't you think it might be advisable to drop the drama? A better decision MIGHT have been to stay in port (but you can bet there would have been a huge outcry about the loss of one or two days from a seven day itinerary).

At the end - no real harm was done - a lot of folks have harrowing stories to tell - doubtless being embroidered as time passes - and the natterers on CC have something about which to fulminate.

It bothers me some guests may have incurred additional expenses to change their flights home, they may have hotel costs due to the change of schedule, food costs etc and no offer has been publicly stated that makes them 'whole'.

It bothers me some guests may have incurred additional expenses to change their flights home, they may have hotel costs due to the change of schedule, food costs etc and no offer has been publicly stated that makes them 'whole'.

Valid points - of course no two passengers would have incurred identical additional expenses: the couple living in northern New Jersey would have far less out of pocket or inconvenience from that incurred by the folks from Toronto, or Missouri. While RC may not have offered a fully adequate package, there does not seem any practical way of making everyone equally "whole". And, human nature being what it is - I doubt that, whatever the compensation offered , many would say that it was more than fair.

For the sake of conversation...let's take as gospel the statement that nobody, below the rank of God, knew the storm was going to be as large and strong as it turned out being. Is there anyplace we can see a time-lapse weather radar from the time Anthem sailed till it started "getting bad"?

I would think that would be interesting. Did this storm "explode" just as Anthem got to it? Was it constantly getting bigger and stronger and Anthem just plowed ahead?

Just curious...