Charging for tea?

tigresslea

On the Sunshine last month the iced tea on the Lido deck was OK ... not my home made Luzianne ... but not all that terrible especially if you add a shot of lemonade to it.

If I "need" high end tea I believe I'd toss a few bag of my favorite into my bag from home and use the very hot water on the beverage stations without it ruining my vacation. :)

Cruising is still about the same price it was 10 years ago while everything else has gone up. To maintain the low cruise fares it stands to reason that cuts have to be made somewhere. It seems to me that all the different lines are trying to make the bulk of the cuts in areas that are above and beyond the "normal choices" so if there's an upcharge it only affects those who want that particular item like herbal teas or filets/lobster at dinner on night other than elegant night without it affecting those that don't care.

Why does everyone go into defensive mode when a question is asked if complaint made? I never said it would ruin my vacation, not in the least. I was simply asking so I would know and be prepared.

Why does everyone go into defensive mode when a question is asked if complaint made? I never said it would ruin my vacation, not in the least. I was simply asking so I would know and be prepared.

Sorry you thought I was responding to you specifically ... my comments were in reference as to why, in general, I believe the changes were happening and were really addressing some of the other comments on the thread such as :

Yes it is. Another change that will destroy the cruising experience for millions.

If Carnival continues on it's current course, before long "guests" will have to put a quarter in a slot to get into the bathroom in their own cabin. Not only does pride come before a fall, greed often does as well.

Don't get too excited. The iced tea on Lido is really nasty!

Just my take on things :rolleyes:

Sorry you thought I was responding to you specifically ... my comments were in reference as to why, in general, I believe the changes were happening and were really addressing some of the other comments on the thread such as :

Yes it is. Another change that will destroy the cruising experience for millions.

If Carnival continues on it's current course, before long "guests" will have to put a quarter in a slot to get into the bathroom in their own cabin. Not only does pride come before a fall, greed often does as well.

Don't get too excited. The iced tea on Lido is really nasty!

Just my take on things :rolleyes:

Gotcha. Hey, a cruise is what you make it... it's good to know what to expect beforehand and be prepared.

They have always charged for specialty coffees. Now they are doing the same for teas..

Not always, not all specialty coffees. Don't you remember when cappuccino and espresso were free in the MDR? It was one of my DH's favourite little things about his cruises. They took that away circa 2013.:(

They are only charging for the fancy ones with their own individually wrapped packet.:p The loose ones are still free. Bring your own if it's that big of a deal.

From what I understand, that's not quite true. They are taking away the various flavored herbal teas that used to be free, leaving just a few (regular Lipton, Lipton decaf, and Bigelow green tea) tea bags in the free/included category. And they are replacing the previously free specialty teas (chamomile, Earl Grey, other flavours) with high-end speacialty teas that now cost $2 per bag. Have I got this wrong?

From what I understand, that's not quite true. They are taking away the various flavored herbal teas that used to be free, leaving just a few (regular Lipton, Lipton decaf, and Bigelow green tea) tea bags in the free/included category. And they are replacing the previously free specialty teas (chamomile, Earl Grey, other flavours) with high-end speacialty teas that now cost $2 per bag. Have I got this wrong?

Shaky I don't drink hot tea usually, and I was really just making a joke. But I don't recall anything but the Lipton tea bags being loose. I thought the ones in the box individually wrapped were the only ones now being charged. I am surprised they weren't always extra. Every place I go, those are not for free.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Shaky I don't drink hot tea usually, and I was really just making a joke. But I don't recall anything but the Lupton tea bags being loose. I thought the ones in the box individually wrapped were the only ones now being charged. I am surprised they weren't always extra. Every place I go, those are not for free.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I didn't notice the joke. I am very much a tea drinker. The tea boxes on Lido on all my previous cruises included all of the above-mentioned varieties and more. Lipton was in its own bin, and the others were in the box beside it. All have always been individually wrapped, in either paper (Lipton), or foil-lined packets (Bigelow, etc.). They were always there, and always free.

There was a short period (maybe a year?) when Carnival instituted a cutback and changed all the onboard tea to some nasty off brand (much, much worse than Lipton). It was disgusting. The complaints must have registered and Carnival, thankfully, went back to the original offerings (although they did drop some of the varieties). It was during that cutback period that I started packing my own tea box with my own selection of my favourites.

I suppose we have had very different experiences - everywhere I have been a guest, as Bajan Keith said, every hotel, resort, cruise ship, etc. - has always provided flavoured teas for free.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice the joke. I am very much a tea drinker. The tea boxes on Lido on all my previous cruises included all of the above-mentioned varieties and more. Lipton was in its own bin, and the others were in the box beside it. All have always been individually wrapped, in either paper (Lipton), or foil-lined packets (Bigelow, etc.). They were always there, and always free.

There was a short period (maybe a year?) when Carnival instituted a cutback and changed all the onboard tea to some nasty off brand (much, much worse than Lipton). It was disgusting. The complaints must have registered and Carnival, thankfully, went back to the original offerings (although they did drop some of the varieties). It was during that cutback period that I started packing my own tea box with my own selection of my favourites.

I suppose we have had very different experiences - everywhere I have been a guest, as Bajan Keith said, every hotel, resort, cruise ship, etc. - has always provided flavoured teas for free.

Yes we have different experiences. The only hot stuff I drink onboard is coffee. So I'm no expert. I did put a laughing smiley in my post to indicate it wasn't that serious. Wasn't intending to offend anyone.

Yes we have different experiences. The only hot stuff I drink onboard is coffee. So I'm no expert. I did put a laughing smiley in my post to indicate it wasn't that serious. Wasn't intending to offend anyone.

Right, smiley, sorry. One would think a smiley abuser such as myself would not overlook a joke smiley.:o I wasn't offened in the slightest. I just wanted to make sure the facts of the "tea case":p were straight for all reading this thread wanting the information.