On the PRIDE in 4 days...any TIPS or TRICKS 4 Ship/Nassau/GT?

RecoveryDude

Hi!

Leaving on the Carnival Pride in 4 days ... going to Grand Turk/HMC/Nassau. I'm a seasoned cruiser but wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks SPECIFIC to either:

1. Port of Baltimore

2. Carnival Pride ship, as I've never sailed her

3. Nassau (Where to eat?)

4. Grand Turk (Where to eat BESIDES M-Ville or Jacks)

Thanks everyone!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Where to eat in Nassau: The Fish Fry (several good choices, but I can recommend Goldie's for several authentic Bahamian dishes). Go hungry! It's a pretty easy walk from the ship, or a very short cab ride.

I've only eaten at Jack's, so far in GT.

'Cruise Maryland' Terminal at Port of Baltimore is a breeze. A really smooth operation. my only complaint is their VIP seating section sucks. No biggie, though.

Pride is a great ship, the Spirit class is my favourite Carnival ship design. I don't know what kind of tips or tricks specific to the ship to offer, though.:o

Edited by ShakyBeef

Hi!

Leaving on the Carnival Pride in 4 days ... going to Grand Turk/HMC/Nassau. I'm a seasoned cruiser but wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks SPECIFIC to either:

1. Port of Baltimore

2. Carnival Pride ship, as I've never sailed her

3. Nassau (Where to eat?)

4. Grand Turk (Where to eat BESIDES M-Ville or Jacks)

Thanks everyone!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Okay, Jeff, I'll share what I can after three cruises on Pride with this itinerary (Freeport instead of Nassau, though)...

Port - Baltimore is a breeze. We drive from southern, coastal Delaware and it takes about 2:20. Don't accidentally get on 95 North as you approach the ship. You will pull in the gate, be directed to a booth that will give you a parking sheet (that seems to have no purpose!) And then pull up to luggage drop-off. He will remind you that any wine and soda should be carried on. You will be directed to the parking line (just 50 ft. ahead). There is usually one line for cash and one for credit. Their credit machines are retro; cash is faster. Neither is a big problem. Plenty of parking and a very short walk to the terminal. It's like going to a mall, probably easier.

My "tip" - I love the excitement of getting to the ship as early as possible and exploring. But my last two cruises (one on Pride and one on Grandeur), I have arrived closer to 2:00 and just walked on. All depends on when Pride gets back to Balt. And at that later time, rooms are ready and you can drop off carry-ons.

Nassau - I've been there three times, got off once. We use that time to go to the Serenity area on the ship!

Grand Turk - Love the stop there. I can't tell if you are there alone or with HAL's New Amsterdam. Either way, you are there early and will find chairs easily. Nice place and the pool at Margaritaville is free. We don't eat on the island. It's such a short walk back to the ship, we go and have lunch there and return. I know Jack's Place a little down the beach is popular.

Tip: The sections of the beach nearer the dock have coral outcrops in the water. You can see them and step around; I just use water sandals. I've never had a bad day there in four stops.

HMC - I believe you are the only ship there that day, so finding an ideal spot is no problem. Sun can get intense; but you can rent a clamshell for about $20. You can check at the excursion desk, but you can also secure one from a booth to the left just past the first shops on arrival. For me, the best beach stop on any cruise I have ever taken. If you get a clamshell, prop up the back with a rock (many are behind the clamshells). You'll get some air flow that way.

The ship - I really like Pride's layout. Guy's Burger's and the Cantina are great additions on the Lido deck. We like the Seaday brunch, also. We have never had problems finding seats for the theater shows. The comedy club does get crowded; get there early.

If the pool deck is crowded, there is plenty of seating one deck up, especially aft and bow. There is a nice teak promenade for walking.

Our favorite venue is the Red Frog Pub midship. They re-did the horrid club that was there with a great result. And if the band the Ooh-La-Lahs are still there, you are in for a treat. At night, they do pub trivia between the music sets one time.

Can't comment on the new menus in the dining room; we liked the old ones.

Our last cruise there were fairly good movies on the outdoor screen.

At the top glass elevator stop, you are by the statue of David at the entrance to the restaurant. They covered his weenie with a plaster leaf! Michelangelo turned in his grave.

And my last thought, I am extremely jealous of your cruise. Have a great time.

I just came back from the 2nd half of the Pride's journey's cruise. Not sure if your a drinker or not. But I cannot recommend visiting the Alchemy bar, enough. Seek out Katie, if she's still there. She makes the best drinks!!! Have fun on your trip!

-Tony@PVD

We are on the pride for the 5th time in july. Baltimore port smoothest we have seen. Pride is our favorite out of 6 we have been on. Alchemy bar, guys, red frog pub are some of our favorites. Nite time movies on deck also. Grand Turk and HMC are great places. Our cruise in july is to there also but includes freeport.

You will pull in the gate, be directed to a booth that will give you a parking sheet (that seems to have no purpose!) And then pull up to luggage drop-off.

I think the purpose of the parking sheet is to distinguish between those who are just dropping off luggage and who have a driver who will take the car away and those who are both dropping off luggage and parking at the cruise terminal. If you're not parking you don't want to get in the line to pay for parking.

Another tip for Pride, or any ship that has a GUYS Burgers, if you like BLT's....I LOVE them, but am not a fan of ordering from room service and waiting around for the delivery, so I get a few pieces of toast from the breakfast buffet right before they are closing, cover with a napkin, then when Guys opens, I go to the Fixin's buffet and load up on bacon, lettuce and tomato, slather with mayo that is on the condiment shelf and I have myself a BLT! :D;)

For those that have sailed out of Baltimore before what time would you advise to arrive at the port if you want to get an early boarding number? We are taking a cab to the port so don't need to park a car.

From reading these boards it seems like after ten and before eleven. Does that sound accurate? (assuming the ship is back on time)

Thanks.

Edited by mainepaddler

I think the purpose of the parking sheet is to distinguish between those who are just dropping off luggage and who have a driver who will take the car away and those who are both dropping off luggage and parking at the cruise terminal. If you're not parking you don't want to get in the line to pay for parking.

Ah! Now I get it. Thanks.

For those that have sailed out of Baltimore before what time would you advise to arrive at the port if you want to get an early boarding number? We are taking a cab to the port so don't need to park a car.

From reading these boards it seems like after ten and before eleven. Does that sound accurate? (assuming the ship is back on time)

Thanks.

Yep, you got it. That's exactly what I was going to say: 10:30-11:00AM, assuming ship's arrival is on time.

Thank you!

BTW- your oxford comma signature line makes me smile every time I see it!

Thanks! I didn't compose it, but I wholeheartedly feel it.:D

And your screen name brings back fond memories of kayaking in the Bay of Fundy back in 2000. Yes, yes, I know, we were in Canada at the time, not Maine:o, but it was a 2-week land-based New England/Canada trip and we had spent several days in Maine on the way up, so the memories are connected for me.:)

Okay, Jeff, I'll share what I can after three cruises on Pride with this itinerary (Freeport instead of Nassau, though)...

Port - Baltimore is a breeze. We drive from southern, coastal Delaware and it takes about 2:20. Don't accidentally get on 95 North as you approach the ship. You will pull in the gate, be directed to a booth that will give you a parking sheet (that seems to have no purpose!) And then pull up to luggage drop-off. He will remind you that any wine and soda should be carried on. You will be directed to the parking line (just 50 ft. ahead). There is usually one line for cash and one for credit. Their credit machines are retro; cash is faster. Neither is a big problem. Plenty of parking and a very short walk to the terminal. It's like going to a mall, probably easier.

My "tip" - I love the excitement of getting to the ship as early as possible and exploring. But my last two cruises (one on Pride and one on Grandeur), I have arrived closer to 2:00 and just walked on. All depends on when Pride gets back to Balt. And at that later time, rooms are ready and you can drop off carry-ons.

Nassau - I've been there three times, got off once. We use that time to go to the Serenity area on the ship!

Grand Turk - Love the stop there. I can't tell if you are there alone or with HAL's New Amsterdam. Either way, you are there early and will find chairs easily. Nice place and the pool at Margaritaville is free. We don't eat on the island. It's such a short walk back to the ship, we go and have lunch there and return. I know Jack's Place a little down the beach is popular.

Tip: The sections of the beach nearer the dock have coral outcrops in the water. You can see them and step around; I just use water sandals. I've never had a bad day there in four stops.

HMC - I believe you are the only ship there that day, so finding an ideal spot is no problem. Sun can get intense; but you can rent a clamshell for about $20. You can check at the excursion desk, but you can also secure one from a booth to the left just past the first shops on arrival. For me, the best beach stop on any cruise I have ever taken. If you get a clamshell, prop up the back with a rock (many are behind the clamshells). You'll get some air flow that way.

The ship - I really like Pride's layout. Guy's Burger's and the Cantina are great additions on the Lido deck. We like the Seaday brunch, also. We have never had problems finding seats for the theater shows. The comedy club does get crowded; get there early.

If the pool deck is crowded, there is plenty of seating one deck up, especially aft and bow. There is a nice teak promenade for walking.

Our favorite venue is the Red Frog Pub midship. They re-did the horrid club that was there with a great result. And if the band the Ooh-La-Lahs are still there, you are in for a treat. At night, they do pub trivia between the music sets one time.

Can't comment on the new menus in the dining room; we liked the old ones.

Our last cruise there were fairly good movies on the outdoor screen.

At the top glass elevator stop, you are by the statue of David at the entrance to the restaurant. They covered his weenie with a plaster leaf! Michelangelo turned in his grave.

And my last thought, I am extremely jealous of your cruise. Have a great time.

Wow! What great information! Thank you for taking the time to type all that for me!

I LIVE IN DE TOO! Wilmington, actually, and we are staying the night in Baltimore, so we will leave our car at the hotel and use their shuttle.

I love "exploring" the ship too ... that first day. We will try to get to the port by 10:30 so we can get on (hopefully) by 12:30.

How long is the tender ride to HMC? ...and is there a long line if we wanna go back and forth to the ship throughout the day?

Thanks again for the info ----

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

The HMC tender ride is short, once the boat finally starts moving, about 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops. The long part about the tender ride is waiting for the whole boat to be loaded up and get going.:rolleyes::p The only time you're likely to see a long line to go back to the ship is at the end of the day - that line can be horrible, especially in the hot sun.:(

Wow! What great information! Thank you for taking the time to type all that for me!

I LIVE IN DE TOO! Wilmington, actually, and we are staying the night in Baltimore, so we will leave our car at the hotel and use their shuttle.

I love "exploring" the ship too ... that first day. We will try to get to the port by 10:30 so we can get on (hopefully) by 12:30.

How long is the tender ride to HMC? ...and is there a long line if we wanna go back and forth to the ship throughout the day?

Thanks again for the info ----

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

You're welcome. Your arrival time should work fine. As previously mentioned, the ride is short. The lines to go ashore are long initially. Midday, you can get back and forth fairly easily. There is lunch on the island, though, if that was your reason. They have built a covered area for waiting to return. There are misters in there, making the wait somewhat easier.

The left side return lines seem to move faster than the far right.

How long does it take to drive from NE Florida, Jacksonville to be exact to Baltimore and can you recommend a good hotel for the night near port?

About 10 to 11 hours, depending on how fast you drive, and with no stops. So realistically, more like 13 hours with some stops built in. About 99.5% of the trip is on I-95.;)

I can't help with the hotel, but if you check out the ports forum, under East Coast Departure Ports, you should find a lot of hotel info.:)

Edited by ShakyBeef

How long does it take to drive from NE Florida, Jacksonville to be exact to Baltimore and can you recommend a good hotel for the night near port?

We are staying at the Best Western Arundel - if you go to www parksleepfly dot com you can reserve it thru them - they were cheaper than doing it direct with the hotel - the rate includes hotel, hot breakfast, parking while u cruise and shuttle to/from the hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk