Wines at Share Restaurant

XBGuy

I am quite curious about the Share restaurant on the various Princess ships. There have been a couple threads here with reports from people who have visited Share, and it sounds like something that I would like to try.

More than one poster has commented that Share has a different wine list from the other venues. Does anybody have a picture of the wine list that they can post? If you don't have a picture, is there anythiing that you can recall from the wine list? Anything you can recall and report about pricing would be appreciated. One person reported that Tignanello was on the Share wine list, but did not mention the price.

Beyond the wine list, I assume that if I bring my own wine on board and pay the corkage fee, then I would be allowed to bring it to Share. Does anybody know of any reason to question that?

If I leave an unfinished bottle of wine, say Luce della Vitae, at another restaurant, can I have that retrieved so that I could finish it at Share?

Similarly, if I leave an unfinished bottle at Share, can I have it retrieved the next night at, say, Crown Grill?

The questions regarding the unfinished bottles arise because, generally, I prefer red wines and my wife prefers whites. As often as not we each have our own bottle while dining on our cruises.

Thanks

:)

Edited by XBGuy
Fixed spelling mistake

I am quite curious about the Share restaurant on the various Princess ships. There have been a couple threads here with reports from people who have visited Share, and it sounds like something that I would like to try.

More than one poster has commented that Share has a different wine list from the other venues. Does anybody have a picture of the wine list that they can post? If you don't have a picture, is there anythiing that you can recall from the wine list? Anything you can recall and report about pricing would be appreciated. One person reported that Tignatello was on the Share wine list, but did not mention the price.

Beyond the wine list, I assume that if I bring my own wine on board and pay the corkage fee, then I would be allowed to bring it to Share. Does anybody know of any reason to question that?

If I leave an unfinished bottle of wine, say Luce della Vitae, at another restaurant, can I have that retrieved so that I could finish it at Share?

Similarly, if I leave an unfinished bottle at Share, can I have it retrieved the next night at, say, Crown Grill?

The questions regarding the unfinished bottles arise because, generally, I prefer red wines and my wife prefers whites. As often as not we each have our own bottle while dining on our cruises.

Thanks

The Tignanello was $79 plus 15% gratuity, $90.85 total. I looked it up on winesearcher.com and that was a very fair price. The only other wine I recall was Patz & Hall Chardonnay for $51.75/bottle including the gratuity. Also very fair IMO. I recall a couple of bottles that went for over $400, but I've blocked their names out.:eek:

The only problem with saving wines to go to or from Share is that all of the other dining venues are on Deck 7 or lower, while Share is on Deck 16, so it would take a fair bit of time to retrieve the bottle. It took 20 minutes for an unfinished bottle from Crown Grill to make it to our Deck 6 traditional dining room table. We don't mind being seen with opened bottles, so next time will just take it ourselves. That way we can use the Vacu-vin to seal it up a little better, anyway.

More than one poster has commented that Share has a different wine list from the other venues. Does anybody have a picture of the wine list that they can post? If you don't have a picture, is there anythiing that you can recall from the wine list? Anything you can recall and report about pricing would be appreciated. One person reported that Tignanello was on the Share wine list, but did not mention the price.

Thanks

The Princess website has a very clear PDF copy of the SHARE menu which includes their wine list and you can view it by clicking on this link:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/SHARE-by-Curtis-Stone-Menu.pdf

The wine prices range from $28 up to $240 and they have Antinori Tignanello for $79.

You can purchase a bottle of wine in any dining room (including specialty dining rooms) and have it delivered to another dining room on another night. I don't often do this but sometimes they have given me a receipt & I have also read that it helps them find it faster if you can tell them where you previously dined & maybe a table number. During a tour of the galley as part of the Chef's Table they showed us separate storage areas to keep leftover wines at the appropriate temperature & separated by red & white.

You can take the wine you bring on the ship to any restaurant & pay the $15 corkage fee to enjoy with dinner & to store any remaining wine for another evening.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to both of you, Astro Flyer and CritterChick.

I had no idea that this information was on the Princess site.

I have to say, the pricing looks pretty good. I agree, CritterChick that $79 for the Tignanello is more than fair. According to Wine Searcher, that is approximately the current "street price" for the current vintage.

$48 for Ridge Lytton Springs and $45 for the P&H Chardonnay are very, very fair restaurant prices for those. I'm going to say that the "street price" for those is in the mid $30s.

However, I know that Mrs. XBGuy will be all over that Puligny-Montrachet. She really enjoys her white Burgs. We'll have to save up before I take her, I guess.

Agan, thank you, very much.

My experience has generally been that the more expensive the wine, the lower the price markup.

Agree, completely. The pricing of the Tignanello at Share appears to be quite remarkable, though.

Agree, completely. The pricing of the Tignanello at Share appears to be quite remarkable, though.

If you ever sail on the Royal or Regal, in Sabatini's their Super Tuscan wine list had 25 options...including a $120 Tignanello. That was included in their ST wine tasting ($40 & tasty hot Italian-style snacks) with wine priced from $28 up to a $230 bottle of Solaia.

'steelers36' created an Excel spreadsheet comparing wines from the most recent MDR wine list to prices at Total Wine to get a good idea of the wine markup:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48676018&postcount=39

Edited by Astro Flyer

My experience has generally been that the more expensive the wine, the lower the price markup.

I agree, however, since the AIBP was introduced, I found the cheaper wines to have a higher than previous mark up.

Princess also needs to price the expensive bottles of wine in a way that they still profit with people with the AIBP who get it at a substantial discount. So I am happy to hear that the bottles mentioned are a good price. I might have to do some research for my next cruise. :)

If you ever sail on the Royal or Regal, in Sabatini's their Super Tuscan wine list had 25 options...including a $120 Tignanello. That was included in their ST wine tasting ($40 & tasty hot Italian-style snacks) with wine priced from $28 up to a $230 bottle of Solaia.

'steelers36' created an Excel spreadsheet comparing wines from the most recent MDR wine list to prices at Total Wine to get a good idea of the wine markup:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48676018&postcount=39

I don't see any cruises on the Royal or the Regal in my near future, but I agree that even $120 is a reasonable restaurant price for Tignanello, and that ST tasting for $40 sounds great.

I have played around with Steelers36's spreadsheet, and agree that there are ways to make it work for me. On the other hand, I am getting more aggressive with bringing my own wine on the ship. I like to buy wine from the restaurant, but I also like to drink my own.

Princess also needs to price the expensive bottles of wine in a way that they still profit with people with the AIBP who get it at a substantial discount.

I agree, completely, Jenny. As a stockholder, I am not interested in CCL taking a loss on anything. On the other hand, though, we all know that Princess is not paying retail prices for their inventory. ;)

Astro Flyer - thanks so much for posting the link to the wines.

I enjoyed reading the wine list. I know I will enjoy the wines.

The wine list has cheered me up' date=' considerably, concerning Share.

Thanks again![/quote']

Glad that it was helpful for you...'steelers36' did a great job creating his very helpful wine comparison list. :)

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but remember the 40% discount with the all inclusive beverage package does not include wines over $100.00........

BTW I bring my own wine on ship (and I do mean my own, we have a small vineyard) I repackage it into "BIB" so it doesn't cost a fortune in overweight luggage. For a two week cruise oxidation/taste has never been an issue. I'm upfront I have it and have yet to be charged corkakge. Of course I don't tell them how BIG the bags are just that I have two - one for my red and one for my wifes white......

Edited by TNTLAMB

shhhh!;)

I've read the same thing about the AIBP.

And it's true (that the 40% only applies to wines under $100). We didn't purchase a package because it just didn't make sense for us. Even with the 40% off, we'd have had to pay $50 for the Tignanello, which is almost the cost of the package for one day.

And it's true (that the 40% only applies to wines under $100). We didn't purchase a package because it just didn't make sense for us. Even with the 40% off, we'd have had to pay $50 for the Tignanello, which is almost the cost of the package for one day.

If you purchase a Gold wine package you get wine valued up to $45 and if you purchase a $100 bottle of wine you'd pay an extra $55 however no additional 15% gratuity is added to that additional cost.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you purchase a Gold wine package you get wine valued up to $45 and if you purchase a $100 bottle of wine you'd pay an extra $55 however no additional 15% gratuity is added to that additional cost.

We just didn't drink enough of Princess' wine by the bottle to justify the cost of a wine package. We had a great time trying wines by the glass at Vines, probably only bought 3 bottles during the cruise.

As mentioned' date=' I have enjoyed reading about the wines at Share.

Several here have mentioned the Tignanello. I like red wine blends, especially Bordeaux style red wine blends. Given the chance, should I branch out and try the Tignanello?[/quote']

Yes.

• 3 weeks later...

When going to Share make sure you have a few wine choices ahead of time. We went last week on the Emerald and they had run out of two wines, not a problem. We ordered our first choice, out too, second choice, out. Our frustrated waiter finally came back with a main dining room wine list instead of suggesting similar wines to what we ordered that they did have in stock. Forty five minutes later we started our excellent meal.

For a new restaurant they are trying to promote I thought it was very poor planning on the wine supply.