Class is back

skandls

So what happens in the suite/diamond lounges? Do you get free drinks? Special entertainment? Or just surrounded by high-class people (just joking)? I don't know what level of outrage/jealousy I should be feeling (just joking again) when I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So what happens in the suite/diamond lounges? Do you get free drinks? Special entertainment? Or just surrounded by high-class people (just joking)? I don't know what level of outrage/jealousy I should be feeling (just joking again) when I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Free drinks and munchies for a 3.5 hour period in the evening.

I definitely back up the statement that you can't judge someone's income or lifestyle based on their cruise choices. Years back, we were seated with 2 couples. During the conversation, we discovered that 3 of them went to the same high school as myself and grew up in the same neighborhood. I also found out exactly where they live now - the houses are ALL multi million dollar houses. They were staying in inside cabins, we were in a suite. And we don't live in a multi million dollar house. :D

The management of money, like staying in an inside cabin, might be why they could afford multi-million dollar homes. They basically get most of the same experience (visiting the same ports, having access to most of the same ship facilities for a fraction of the money spent).

I had people that used to report to me, that drove newer, much more expensive cars and have much more expensive life styles. They were also living paycheck to paycheck. I, on the other hand, was able to retire at 55 and cruse or vacation about 100 days each year, including a trip to South America, and two to Europe this year.

To me the issue is not what goes on there, the issue is how much public space is removed from open use and reserved for a restricted list. I don't care what benefits they receive, only if it starts to negatively impact what I get by reducing the number of facilities, make them more crowded, etc. That has the potential to impact my purchase decisions.

Edited by RDC1

I don't judge people on how they spend their money. Maybe one person would rather get a new car or bigger house and spend less money on vacation, I am the opposite. For me, I save up all of my money on vacation. I think the added suite perks just encourage more people to spend money and get a suite because it seems more valuable. If all I got was more room in a suite, I would never get a suite. I mean there is only two of us, how much more room do we need?

Same thing for when we go to Disney World. I've stayed in all categories of resorts from Deluxe to Value and really the only benefits of Deluxe are the size of the room and location tends to be closer to a park. So I am more likely to spend my money on a cruise suite than a fancy hotel room in Disney.

Ah, I see! 3.5 hours of free drinks/night is a perk that cruisers might want to take into account. I mean a couple of drinks isn't going to offset the vast price difference, but it could come into play that maybe I'm paying $100more/night but I'll save $30/night on drinks (replace with actual figures, of course). Yet I also understand the perspective that why is a special lounge necessary? Why not just put something on their card so they get free drinks anywhere during that time period. Then again, I bet they'd lose money that way. I can't imagine the suite set want to be tied to one lounge all night and miss out on entertainment elsewhere. Perhaps they grab a drink and go, but I bet they're also more likely to buy their next drink wherever they are rather than going back to the lounge.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

Ah, I see! 3.5 hours of free drinks/night is a perk that cruisers might want to take into account. I mean a couple of drinks isn't going to offset the vast price difference, but it could come into play that maybe I'm paying $100/night but I'll save $30/night on drinks (replace with actual figures, of course). Yet I also understand the perspective that why is a special lounge necessary? Why not just put something on their card so they get free drinks anywhere during that time period. Then again, I bet they'd lose money that way. I can't imagine the suite set want to be tied to one lounge all night and miss out on entertainment elsewhere. Perhaps they grab a drink and go, but I bet they're also more likely to buy their next drink wherever they are rather than going back to the lounge.

The choice of drinks is more limited so I think in the end the cruise line saves more money. We've done a suite once before and doing it again for our anniversary cruise. On that cruise, the Concierge Lounge was always really crowded and people invited non-suite guests to come with them, making it more crowded. My husband and I are introverts and he doesn't know how to start a conversation, so for us the lounge was kind of pointless except to get our free drink(s).

what are these perks?? Are they on all ships? know suite holders get a special lounge with drinks and canapes in evening and priority tender embrakation but didnt know about reserved areas by pool... please tell more..

Suite perks now: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/enhanced-program-for-suites-guests-v7.pdf

Suite perks after May 2016: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/RoyalSuiteClass

Suites used to get you a butler. I don't think you get that anymore. When we sailed in our first Grand Suite not only was there no butler, there was barely a Concierge available. And she was shared between the suites and all the diamonds, diamond pluses and pinnacles.

If anything I think the suite experience has been diminished.

Suites used to get you a butler. I don't think you get that anymore. When we sailed in our first Grand Suite not only was there no butler, there was barely a Concierge available. And she was shared between the suites and all the diamonds, diamond pluses and pinnacles.

If anything I think the suite experience has been diminished.

Genies in May. Like a butler, but magical.

Just some thoughts on cruising. The mass market cruise lines are going to a class system. Thank you NCL. Suites will pay bigger bucks and get better food, drinks and amenities. have to accept that when I started cruising the experience was expensive and very service oriented.

I am one of you who is not happy with the growing movement to devalue membership perks and expand suite guests perks. I do understand why the cruise lines are going in this direction. I do think as the C&A memberships gets devalued RCI need to find ways to reward the majority of cruisers who do quantity but still want quality.

Can you give an example of how your C&A perks have decreased? The last time I looked they were the same. As to suite perks--have you looked at the prices of suites? Guests in GS and above pay dearly for the privilege and as such deserve the added benefits. Nothing for nothing! If they're unhappy with the perks they always have the option to not book a suite or to book on another cruise line with preferred benefits. As do you, I suppose, if you're feeling that suite guests are taking away from your cruise experience.

My suite on QM2 came with a butler. She changed out our fresh flowers daily, brought canapés every day at 5pm and offered to unpack and pack for us. Didn't need her packing expertise, didn't want the very boring canapés, but did enjoy the flowers. The Concierge Lounge had food available all day and evening, and she handled a privy car and driver for us. The only thing that made the expense of the suite really worthwhile was the Queens Grill. When Royal or Princess can match that, I'll spend the rest of my kids' inheritance on a suite again.

what are these perks?? Are they on all ships? know suite holders get a special lounge with drinks and canapes in evening and priority tender embrakation but didnt know about reserved areas by pool... please tell more..

On some ships (the larger ones) there a separate sun decks and restaurants reserved for suite passengers. It really depends on the ship.

The class system I wrote about has to do with the move to private lounges and restaurants for suite guests. When the cruise lines broke from the old class system that included the private areas they attempted to provide a really great cruising experience to everyone on the ship. Now the main dining has devolved to so so food. I do realized the value for the dollar I get on a cruise as opposed to what the costs were in the 80's is much better. I am not happy to have been booted from the concierge (suite) lounge twice. On the Oasis class D+ are back to a revised version of the D lounge since the suites are in the new Suite lounge. When it was the concierge lounge the appies and services were better (IMHO).

So, you were ok with private lounges when you had access to them? Remember, these lounges still aren't available to EVERYONE on the ship - only certain groups...classes, if you will. Your REAL problem is you're no longer in the special group that gets to use them. Now that your 'class' is no longer allowed in, it's a problem? Yeah...ok :rolleyes:

So the change is new suite levels on the Oasis and Quantum fleet of ships. These rooms--and the prices--are outrageous. Several thousand more than the "peons" in the inside cabins (such as myself) are paying. I can see why you get a genie butler etc. I would assume this is to compete with the exclusive cruise lines that cost like $20,000. RCCI has a good mass market appeal for families--especially with all of the amenities on these large classes of boats. But they don't have the same luxury appeal as some of the smaller, high-end lines. It actually is a really smart business decision to try to get into that luxury market by saying we can offer you the same service and surroundings you'll get there PLUS all of the exciting amenities our large boat can offer.

. RCCI has a good mass market appeal for families--especially with all of the amenities on these large classes of boats. But they don't have the same luxury appeal as some of the smaller, high-end lines. It actually is a really smart business decision to try to get into that luxury market by saying we can offer you the same service and surroundings you'll get there PLUS all of the exciting amenities our large boat can offer.

I'm thinking along the same lines. They might have learned that there are families that can afford a true luxury cruise, but would also like to have all the amenities Royal can offer on their largest ships....such as slides, rides, putt-putt, etc. (without sacrificing the ambiance offered on a true luxury ship). That is something the luxury lines do not offer or market towards. It is a niche that Royal is smart to exploit, I hope it goes well for them.

The class system I wrote about has to do with the move to private lounges and restaurants for suite guests. When the cruise lines broke from the old class system that included the private areas they attempted to provide a really great cruising experience to everyone on the ship. Now the main dining has devolved to so so food. I do realized the value for the dollar I get on a cruise as opposed to what the costs were in the 80's is much better. I am not happy to have been booted from the concierge (suite) lounge twice. On the Oasis class D+ are back to a revised version of the D lounge since the suites are in the new Suite lounge. When it was the concierge lounge the appies and services were better (IMHO).

Sorry, do you mean you tried to go to the Concierge Lounge and got they asked you to leave? I don't know if I've ever seen them kick anyone out before, but I guess most of the non-suite guests I have seen in there were considered "guests" of people in suites.

Sorry, do you mean you tried to go to the Concierge Lounge and got they asked you to leave? I don't know if I've ever seen them kick anyone out before, but I guess most of the non-suite guests I have seen in there were considered "guests" of people in suites.

Reference is to Diamond level being excluded from concierge lounge several years ago, and the D+ losing access to oasis concierge lounge when it was renamed the Diamond Lounge last year. That would be my guess.

This is the fifth thread that I have stated the same thing: C&A points are meaningless to RCI on a particular current cruise. What matters is the DOLLARS that you spend on your current cruise. I.E. What have you done for me, RCI, lately?

Many people on this very thread have stated that they book cheap inside cabins to get cheap C&A points.

We always fly first class, we always book Grand Suites and above; Crown Loft Suite next on Allure.

We pay real dollars for perks and we do not want to have to deal with rude, uneducated, violent, drunk, puking passengers in the MDR or Windjammer. If this is class distinction, then let it begin.