Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Each ship I'm comparing has a dedicated wine bar. On Princess this is called Vines and it's an open plan, no walls or doors on the bottom level of the Central Piazza.

It has a window letting light in and offering a sea view to at least one lucky table.

With the purchase of a glass of wine you can have complimentary Tapas or Sushi.

15806359634_26b0daa105_b.jpg

16402879716_853a08c7c9_b.jpg

15808815603_2023e5421f_b.jpg

As it's in the center of the ship there's usually a lot of foot traffic going by and maybe a band playing or a fruit carving or a guy balancing a bicycle on this chin so it can be noisy there.

On the Silhouette there is Cellar Masters, a closed-off room with walls and doors.

24946201235_2ddbb1bcb3_b.jpg

24650725250_8622389c8e_b.jpg

24650728200_4fbe74fd28_b.jpg

It's a bigger space with comfortable furniture, away from the crowds and noise.

There are automatic wine dispensers but you need to buy a special card for those.

For me wine is to be sipped while enjoying quiet conversation and this room encourages one to relax.

WINE BARS?

ADVANTAGE CELEBRITY

(FOR THE ELEGANT QUIETER ROOM AND THE COMFY CLASSY FURNITURE)

I learned to love Indian food in London too! (I spent 7 years there during my formative years). When they ask me what heat level I would like, I always say, "Prepare it as you would have it yourself" - this always causes raised eyebrows!

I feel like I've been following you around the globe, having lived in London, Miami and Chicago as well.....I almost worked for a cruise line once upon a time and worked in the retail field for 20+ years....

As a multi store supervisor I completely understand your take on customer service in regards to your last day on Celebrity. I, too, have extremely high standards - it takes so little effort to smile, say hello and follow up with assistance. People management was the hardest part of my job.

I hope your birthday dinner lived up to every expectation!

Best,

Sharon

Thank you Sharon, indeed it did and the Tapas lunch, in a restaurant owned by one of TV's Iron Chefs was a good example of how we react to seriously good food-when one of us will lean back from the table after a first bite and say OMG- you have got to try this. The other does and says "wow". Memorable food.

The famous chef (Jose Garces) doesn't have to be there as he has taught his Exec Chef his standards. In customer service on land or ship the Supervisor doesn't have to be present for his staff to work to his standards- IF he has high standards and has taught them well to begin with.

Cruise ships I don't expect to make amazing food but can certainly make well prepared and plated meals. The service part doesn't require the skill of the chefs and line cooks and can be accomplished by smiling, listening and keeping up a momentum so that each guest on a long service gets the same attentive service.

Yes we have much in common it seems!

Norris, thinking MDRs should come next...

Happy Belated Birthday, Norris! I hope you enjoyed your special day 😊

I am really loving your ship comparison! Having sailed on 2 S-class ships (our third is on the Silhouette next weekend) and 2 Princess ships, including the Emerald, I am looking forward to reading more. We've sailed with a variety of cruise lines but found that these two lines do have a lot similarities. They are both catering to the same demographic.

Keep it coming :p

Sandy

Princess Grand Class ships have 3 main dining rooms serving in two sittings to accommodate a potential 3,000 pax who might want to eat there for dinner.

To fit this many rooms in the ceilings are just one deck high so the rooms are not high in the wow factor but they are nicely furnished with warm woods and art.

Traditional fixed-seating diners take up the bulk of the seating. Anytime diners can join one of the TD rooms after a certain time and also have a dedicated AT room which is where we can usually be found as we dine late-usually 8.30 to 9 ish.

We look for servers with personality and occasional find some gems who like to laugh and banter. We ask the Head Waiter as we leave if we could have one of their tables for the rest of the week and are usually accommodated. Nothing is too much trouble if you find a bantering (good humored) Head Waiter.

In the same way we don't care for towel animals which I consider a waste of time for an overworked room steward and a rumpling of my towels, we also don't care if the waiters parade around with Baked Alaskas while pax whirl their napkins over their heads with glee but I will agree that both of those things remind you that you are on a cruise ship where the crew are trying to make your time aboard memorable. It is a floating hotel, for sure, but it offers you more than just a room for the night.

On the Caribbean Princess there is a Head Waiter from the Singing Islands of the Philippines, named Hector who during dinner service will pick up a Microphone and (cue music) will walk the room singing with a voice that would melt your heart in it's sincerity. Now that is memorable and you look at each other and say "I'm gonna miss this ship".

They have to serve 12,000 or so meals a day, something no restaurant on land has to accomplish, unless it is in a mega hotel's buffet in Las Vegas so when the provisions get forklifted onto the ship in Port Everglades it's not a parade of familiar household names on the unpackaged goods. You don't see the word "Dole" on the fruit. It's bulk suppliers you have never come across in your supermarket. The lines are not shopping Wholefoods. They have to keep the costs down and whip up good meals for you nevertheless. I always watch stores being loaded on disembarkation day as we get off the ship as late as possible.

I have had very few disappointing meals in my 9 cruises.

Here's some pics from the Ruby Dining Room (1 of the 3)

16271571399_e30ee7843d_b.jpg

16271570659_233b74f15b_b.jpg

15837742873_f3ee39cfaa_b.jpg

With a favorite service team on the Ruby

20169468274_738e5e05fc_b.jpg

More later....

Happy Belated Birthday, Norris! I hope you enjoyed your special day 😊

I am really loving your ship comparison! Having sailed on 2 S-class ships (our third is on the Silhouette next weekend) and 2 Princess ships, including the Emerald, I am looking forward to reading more. We've sailed with a variety of cruise lines but found that these two lines do have a lot similarities. They are both catering to the same demographic.

Keep it coming :p

Sandy

Sandy, thanks for the Birthday Greetings and I agree in red.

The fact that there is much similarity in the two lines made it easy to enjoy X.

Say Hi! to the Silhouette for me next weekend. You must be very excited!

Norris

They have to serve 12,000 or so meals a day, something no restaurant on land has to accomplish, unless it is in a mega hotel's buffet in Las Vegas so when the provisions get forklifted onto the ship in Port Everglades it's not a parade of familiar household names on the unpackaged goods. You don't see the word "Dole" on the fruit. It's bulk suppliers you have never come across in your supermarket. The lines are not shopping Wholefoods. They have to keep the costs down and whip up good meals for you nevertheless. I always watch stores being loaded on disembarkation day as we get off the ship as late as possible.

Transportation hospitality & catering is unique with its own set of challenges - from what I've experienced working as a train attendant aboard Amtrak in dining and sleeping cars (to Chicago !!).

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

Norris;

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes to you. I am continuing to enjoy your comparisons thread:). I agree with you regarding Hector on the CB. We loved listening to him last September. Loved it when he sang Time to Say Goodbye.....:):):)

Bob

First order of business: Happy (belated?) Birthday, Norris!

As Norris and others know from the X Board, I just disembarked from the Silhouette this morning and have followed his review of that ship avidly. And, as everyone can see below, we are long-time Princess passengers, and love that line.

I will follow this discussion with great interest, and perhaps kibitz occasionally. ;)

I agree on all points about the Royal class ships. The interiors of Royal Princess look beautiful (except for MDR's - can you say BORING ! ?) It seems that Royal Princess was designed strictly as a revenue production venture; passenger comfort/enjoyment not required. So many features that make Crown/Emerald/Ruby stellar are completely absent on the Royal.

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought they bungled a new build opportunity.

Norris

I am among those who feel a comparison between the Silhouette and Royal or Regal may have been a bit more apt, but understand the reasons for your choice of ships. However, being huge fans of the Grand and Super-Grand Class Princess ships, and based on our experiences on the Royal Class ships, I think X would already have been the victor in a few of the categories mentioned (including pools and dancing bars, among others) had the comparison been with a Royal Class ship.

I also have to agree with Midwestgal that the Ensemble lounge was one of our favorites on the ship: nice location, wonderful staff, great drinks, and fantastic music. I highly recommend you give it a try next time. :)

And now it's time for me to hit the "subscribe" button and follow the fun.

Hello Norris,

WOW I would love to be able to express myself as you are it is wonderful to read. We have been also very loyal now Elite cruisers on Princess and have just return from a small 2 day cruise on the Connie. Although I can compare a 2 day cruise to a longer one, I will be giving an other shot to Celebrity for a longer cruise before comparing.

Thanks continue the good work.

Sea ya

Eric

Sometimes you can't just compare line to line, you have to compare specific ships. Last winter we were on the "Equinox". Food was good, but in June we were on the "Summit" Food was MUCH better!!! Don't know if it's because where the ship is provisioned and who the supplier(s) are, (the "E" was out of FLL, the "S" was out of NJ), the head chef, the kitchen staff or what. We just got off of B2B on the "Royal Princess". My observation is that the Biggest difference was for same basic category cabins the balconies on RP were about 1/2 the size as "E". We are the highest tier repeaters on both lines. The perks on Princess are much, much better.

Melinda, I edited down your great response as it is so close to this reply the others will just have read it.

Your cruising history-yikes!! I'm green with envy. You have seen the evolution of cruising. I noticed a couple of Song of Norway trips but the last one was 1979 six years before I joined her. You couldn't wait?? LOL

I'll cover the "central hub" of both lines later but agree that the Princess Piazza is a stunning area and a big long staircase eating up real estate doesn't cut it from a practical standpoint.

I consider us very lucky in that we haven't put a foot wrong in choosing our cruises. Princess was the least familiar cruise line to me as I never saw a PCL ship when I sailed out of Miami 44 times on the Song of Norway. It was NCL,HAL, RCCL and Carnival back then as far as I was concerned. We are Elite now on Princess and enjoy our cruises with them. We took a chance on X and are happy with what we found so we now have more choices. We'll take a chance on some other line as time passes but there are some that we will give a wide berth to.

Thanks for reading this. I know you say you are not fans of the S Class and am wondering why? Did you read my Silhouette review by any chance?

Thanks again for responding Melinda.

Norris

Norris - you were with RCCL??? We loved the Song ships and the Nordic Prince and haven't sailed with them since.

We didn't like the S class ships overall because, to us, they just don't seem to know who they are - traditional cruiseships or hip new ships - the various areas of the ship go from one extreme to another. The buffet was like going to a diner in New York City. Very loud and clangy and they kept moving the signs lol. There were so many "gimmicky" things - at least to us. We did like the cabin (we always book an inside as we don't spend much time there and we do get upgraded from time to time). Their inside cabins are some of the best out there on the S class. They held a "brunch" in the MDR one day and it was just pure chaos - just not the Celebrity that we knew and loved.

Your reviews are great and will follow for sure. Seems like you are from Chicago - we are originally from there - my husband was born and raised in the city and we have lived all over the area - we are now confirmed Floridians and have spent 17 years in FL - in Naples and now in Palm City. Being close to the ports is really great!

Looking forward to more of your insights!

thanks so much for this. we have cruised 3 x on princess and once on NCL and have been debating about trying X. the next cruise I had my eye on on princess was on the royal and I have hesitated to book after I studied the ships layout. I am thinking a carribean cruise with one pool is not going to do it for us, as its sometimes hard on sea days to find a chair even on the grand ships. we enjoy princesses trivia and line dancing classes, the light hearted stuff wth the cruise staff, do they have a similar amount of that on celebrity? also any compairsons from people like us who are in the inside or oceanview cabins are helpful.

Norris;

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes to you. I am continuing to enjoy your comparisons thread:). I agree with you regarding Hector on the CB. We loved listening to him last September. Loved it when he sang Time to Say Goodbye.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, great to see you here!

I have no way of knowing who is reading until they step out of the shadows to say something, so thank you.

Norris- and for those wondering who Bob is talking about....

[YOUTUBE]RYA9Ih7VNBM[/YOUTUBE]

thanks so much for this. we have cruised 3 x on princess and once on NCL and have been debating about trying X. the next cruise I had my eye on on princess was on the royal and I have hesitated to book after I studied the ships layout. I am thinking a carribean cruise with one pool is not going to do it for us, as its sometimes hard on sea days to find a chair even on the grand ships. we enjoy princesses trivia and line dancing classes, the light hearted stuff wth the cruise staff, do they have a similar amount of that on celebrity? also any compairsons from people like us who are in the inside or oceanview cabins are helpful.

Glad you are enjoying Kim!

I'm 100 miles away from my daily new sheets but will check for Trivia and Line dancing for you when I get home.

There is definitely light hearted stuff with the Cruise Staff on X and some of it includes Officers. More of that later.

Norris

Bob, great to see you here!

I have no way of knowing who is reading until they step out of the shadows to say something, so thank you.

Norris- and for those wondering who Bob is talking about....

[YOUTUBE]RYA9Ih7VNBM[/YOUTUBE]

that's awesome!!!! what ship is he on?

First order of business: Happy (belated?) Birthday, Norris!

As Norris and others know from the X Board, I just disembarked from the Silhouette this morning and have followed his review of that ship avidly. And, as everyone can see below, we are long-time Princess passengers, and love that line.

I will follow this discussion with great interest, and perhaps kibitz occasionally. ;)

I am among those who feel a comparison between the Silhouette and Royal or Regal may have been a bit more apt, but understand the reasons for your choice of ships. However, being huge fans of the Grand and Super-Grand Class Princess ships, and based on our experiences on the Royal Class ships, I think X would already have been the victor in a few of the categories mentioned (including pools and dancing bars, among others) had the comparison been with a Royal Class ship.

I also have to agree with Midwestgal that the Ensemble lounge was one of our favorites on the ship: nice location, wonderful staff, great drinks, and fantastic music. I highly recommend you give it a try next time. :)

And now it's time for me to hit the "subscribe" button and follow the fun.

Hi, I'm glad you understand my reasons for not comparing X versus the Royal as I am going strictly by my personal experiences and don't know if I'll ever be able to compare the Royal first hand.

I hope you "kibitz" as often as you like having just left the Silhouette behind.

I will try Ensemble Lounge next time. There was often an interesting band or two playing there when I walked through.

Thanks for stopping by today!

Norris

We just got off the royal last week, and loved her! There seemed to be plenty of chairs around the deck, so I wouldn't hesitate to book that ship.

Kim, glad you had a great time on the Royal and I'm happy that enough people want to sail on her to make her viable. I'd get no satisfaction from her becoming the Marie Celeste.

She just doesn't appeal to me.

Norris

Sometimes you can't just compare line to line, you have to compare specific ships. Last winter we were on the "Equinox". Food was good, but in June we were on the "Summit" Food was MUCH better!!! Don't know if it's because where the ship is provisioned and who the supplier(s) are, (the "E" was out of FLL, the "S" was out of NJ), the head chef, the kitchen staff or what. We just got off of B2B on the "Royal Princess". My observation is that the Biggest difference was for same basic category cabins the balconies on RP were about 1/2 the size as "E". We are the highest tier repeaters on both lines. The perks on Princess are much, much better.

Thanks for the comments marco. I've tasted differences in the food on Princess ships and I am sure the same applies as you show on X. I think everything begins with the Supervisor-Executive Chef in this case. They and their Sous taste the food. The food on the Ruby Jan 2015 was better than the Ruby in 2013 and better than the Emerald in Sept 2015. The standard has always been good-the Ruby just showed that good can be improved upon. The Exec was Italian.

I don't know yet what the perks on X are besides the packages when booking.

Our next X has included Tips, free unlimited Internet, Premium Beverage package and $550 OBC ...what can I be missing? What would being Elite on X get me?

Free laundry? (that I can always use) I'm curious to know. I think there are free Specialty dinners for booking upper end suites ( e.g Penthouse).

Cheers,

Norris

Hello Norris,

WOW I would love to be able to express myself as you are it is wonderful to read. We have been also very loyal now Elite cruisers on Princess and have just return from a small 2 day cruise on the Connie. Although I can compare a 2 day cruise to a longer one, I will be giving an other shot to Celebrity for a longer cruise before comparing.

Thanks continue the good work.

Sea ya

Eric

Hi Eric, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but I've been in Michigan-a 4 hour round trip driving.

Thanks for the comments on the writing. I strive to make it read quickly.

I like the look of the Connie- did she look good in person? I hope you'll tell us a little more even if it means moving the comment to the X board.

Cheers,

Norris

Norris - you were with RCCL??? We loved the Song ships and the Nordic Prince and haven't sailed with them since.

We didn't like the S class ships overall because, to us, they just don't seem to know who they are - traditional cruiseships or hip new ships - the various areas of the ship go from one extreme to another. The buffet was like going to a diner in New York City. Very loud and clangy and they kept moving the signs lol. There were so many "gimmicky" things - at least to us. We did like the cabin (we always book an inside as we don't spend much time there and we do get upgraded from time to time). Their inside cabins are some of the best out there on the S class. They held a "brunch" in the MDR one day and it was just pure chaos - just not the Celebrity that we knew and loved.

Your reviews are great and will follow for sure. Seems like you are from Chicago - we are originally from there - my husband was born and raised in the city and we have lived all over the area - we are now confirmed Floridians and have spent 17 years in FL - in Naples and now in Palm City. Being close to the ports is really great!

Looking forward to more of your insights!

I did 44 cruises on Song of Norway, most in 1986.

The X Brunch is no more I believe.

I never ate IN the buffet so the noise didn't bother me- I took my food out to the outdoor dining area. Food was heap good.

Yes there is a mix of styles on the S Class and that kept the surprises coming for us.

I'm glad you are enjoying my reviews on CC. Thanks for saying so!

Norris

Some of my comparisons, having been on X twice (Reflection and Infinity) and 6 Princess ships (Sun, Coral, Crown x 2, Caribbean, Emerald & Grand). I think both lines have their own, different, pluses and minuses. I've enjoyed both and have more booked on each. Some thoughts . . . .

Princess -

1) We had a Vista suite on Dolphin deck (Grand) and it had the largest balcony of the Vista suites. Plenty of room to have the loungers pointed straight out. But all the deck furniture was in desperate need of refinishing!! Real shame to charge big money for a cabin with worn out furniture (including the broken down sofa).

2) When boarding the Grand at 12:30pm, our Vista suite had not been cleaned at all! Very unusual, but what a disappointment. We had to leave the cabin until around 5pm when it was finally done. Our steward was very nice, but new and worked very slowly.

3) Love IC & pizza. On last cruise I had the best pizza ever. Breakfast in Sabitini's is always a highlight. Crab Shack seafood was to die for!!

Celebrity -

1) We had a 1A veranda cabin on the middle hump of Reflection (S-class) so we could get the huge balcony. But very small cabin and almost no storage. Nice bathroom, tho.

2) On Infinity (M-class) we had a huge, special S1 Sky Suite (cabin 6145). Cabin and balcony were great, especially the bathroom! But we didn't get free Internet nor were we allowed in Michael's.

3) Our butler was totally worthless; he was basically a room service server who expected a big tip. He told us that we had to pay to eat in Blu (false!) and refused to book us a bridge tour or to eat at the Captain's table. Such a putz!!

4) Love escargot on the everyday menu. Umm. And the buffet on Reflection was fantastic; not on Infinity, tho. Loved most food in Blu, but not everything. Some offerings were weird. Really enjoyed Qsine; fun experience.