All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita , It sounds like a very productive trip .That double major sounds very interesting .

Laurie , I would wait until WHBM has a sale .Plus have you ever tried one of their instantly slimming dresses.They are very heavy spandex almost like wearing a girdle .They really bring out any imperfections.

Margaret , Nice top

Melody , I hope you are healing & doing great !

I would guess that the purple is a warm purple. It actually photographs pretty warm, which is kind of amazing considering that it is polyester/spandex which has a tendency to photograph cool and somewhat washed out.

I've been running a little experiment this morning trying to capture the color of the Athleta tights...this is my best photo of them for color purposes:

IMG_2075.jpg

The tights are the color of the eyeliner. IRL exactly. But you can see how the tights aren't quite matching up in the photo, looking more ashy than the pencil. In the background, I tried to place some colors that might be familiar to everyone including the bright green of Banana Boat's Aloe, the blue of a menthol aloe (right side) and the blue of an Oral-B brand case of dental floss (left side). Also in the background is a fleece pull over of mine (far left side) which is slightly more blue in the teal color and my new Smartwool shirt (far right side) which is just a more muted ashy version of the color of the tights.

Interesting about your goddaughter, Margaret. I don't really know what DS expects from the education that he is interested in...meaning the dual major aspect...he's a composer first, but something about the cognitive/neuroscience has sparked something...I think that I have cut myself off from pursuing different avenues of interest in the past after deciding that there was no real reason to pursue it...and I feel that may be a mistake I've repeatedly made, so I'm all for him pursuing this idea. As we all are aware, these things can change so easily...what he starts off doing may not be what he actually finishes...and it's the pursuit of this spark that may actually lead to something else that is the real deal...who knows?

Laurie...I don't find this waist band to roll on me. It sits right at my natural waist. If something is below that on me, it rolls, because right now I have too much pot belly...and it forces whatever waistband that tries to stay around it down. I like these so much, I went through the sale section and found virtually the same tight in black in an online exclusive...and I ordered those too...and a pair of tights in an espresso color that is a different style, so we'll see how well I like those.

I've been having issues with my feet. I think Laurie that you mentioned an neuroma in one foot? I have been experiencing the symptoms of that off and on for several years now. I've decided to address it finally. I'm testing the hypothesis that I have too much weight/force on the balls of my feet combined with toe boxes that are too restrictive. I'm working on fitting out shoes that feature an extremely wide toe box as well as what they are calling zero drop and then moving on to no/low toe spring. I'm the only person I know whose foot holds the shape of toe spring outside of shoes...I've noticed this for most of my life. It's so powerful that I have molded toe spring into shoes that didn't have it when I purchased them because said shoes were supposed to "conform to your feet" and they did.

Just wondering if I was remembering right Laurie and what you had learned about it and/or how you were dealing with it. I don't have that numbness 100%, just especially when I work out or go on long walks.

Anita, It's called Morton's Neuroma. In my mind, everything goes away on it's own sooner or later. That isn't true with this, at least for me. I can say that the day I couldn't even walk has never reoccurred, but the pain definitely comes and goes.

I find that the elliptical doesn't really bother it. The recumbent cycle is when I notice a burning sensation. Then when are finishing up and walking our laps, that is when it will really bother me. I have days when it is very minor, and others were it bothers me more. Since I am due for my physical right before my vacation, I am going to ask my doctor some questions, as I admit that I have not really followed up since the day I limped in and he said it what it appeared to be. I am at the stage though where I feel the need to address it.

I will notice it on vacation, because we walk all over the place. We never take the elevator and then we are exploring ports, we love to get moving around. So far, the main thing I notice is that certain shoes can trigger it off. Sneakers can be difficult. Much to my surprise, I have noticed with sneakers that thinner athletic socks are much better for me than the cushiony ones. I thought for sure it would be the opposite! But athletic shoes (sneakers to me) are the hardest.

As I learn more, I will share with you. I know not everyone is the same, but we can learn from each other.

I like what you did with that photo. I often find myself posting a picture, and then explaining what the color is and hoping it makes sense. So much is based on the way light reflects off a particular fabric. That looks like a really good color for you.

I was deciding which swimsuits to bring along on the cruise earlier today. I know I am going to wear a particular one piece swimsuit I have in Nachi, it is a warm blue color with a higher neckline in the front. Then for our helmet dive, I opted for an Athleta one piece I have. I'm proud to wear that...when I got it, it was really tight and now it fits the way it is supposed to. It's in saffron red, and for whatever reason, the one piece suit was slightly different in color than most of the other items in saffron red. I wouldn't call it earth, but I will say that I love it so I am wearing it.

I am bringing along an Athleta tankini in this coral/orange color as well. We are winging it in Costa Maya, so I want a suit available, just in case the others are wet. But I am bringing one that is reserved for the hot tub. I don't know about you, but I have heard a lot about chlorine ruining suits, so when I was on our last cruise, I wore this particular one because it was a light peachy color. I figured if there was a chance of it discoloring, it may not be that noticeable. I didn't think it faded at all. When I was getting it out today, I took a really, really good look in sunlight, and I think there is a little bit of color difference. I had to look hard to find it, so I'm not concerned. But if I bring this for the hot tub, at least I don't have to worry, you know? It's a sale deal I got through Athleta. I think they make great suits. I'm so tempted when looking right now but I want a sale. Unfortunately, by the time they are on sale, they probably won't have what I'm looking for.

That's what I'm talking about. And sneakers are definitely the worst. I've been doing a lot of research and one thing that I found that is believed to be a big culprit is a combination of shoes being too narrow in the toes and also having too high toe spring. Toe spring is when the front part of your shoe is tilted upwards and it would appear that athletic shoes have a tendency to have higher toe spring that regular shoes. When you wear those, it becomes really hard to put weight onto your toes and so the ball of your foot ends up bearing the brunt of your weight, causing the nerves there to become inflamed and/or pinched.

For me, my middle toe goes completely numb.

And I notice it on the recumbent bike the most as well. I think it's because the toe spring on the shoes honestly. Since there is no stride on the bike pedals, as in walking, and ANY kind of shifting of weight from the ball of the foot through the toes, and all the weight just keeps getting hammered onto the balls of the feet as you push the pedals.

I did find a better way to lace my shoes that helped a little bit. Funny how the way you do the laces on your shoes can really help. Basically, one way is to not start the criss crosses of your laces right at the bottom. First go straight up to the next hole so that there is no criss cross at the bottom toward the toe box and then start the criss crosses. I was able to go longer on the bike before my toes started to go numb. I've found some more modifications that I'm going to try but that one I've tried already and it helps.

Yeah...too much cushioning just seems to make more pressure.

And I think also that the raised heel of most sneakers also puts more pressure on the balls of the feet. I'm working on fitting a pair of athletic shoes that have what is called zero drop where the heel and the ball of the foot are on the same level and that also seemed to help. I think I need a bigger size though, so I'm going to exchange them. The shoes have a 30 day guarantee so I'm going to work through this process.

I would love to be planning a warm weather vacation right now...so sick of this cold weather.

I’ve had neuromas, not Morton’s tho. Mine were on the top of the foot at the base of the toes (not normal). A lot of times a sticky pad placed underneath your toes gives enough cushion & protection to keep the toes from going numb. Go to a running store & have them show you how to lace your sneakers for a neuroma, you don’t need to buy from them to do it. Many runners develop neuromas & they’re used to showing people how to lace without pain. New Balance & Hokas (my favorite) have wide toe boxes, Nike & Adidas are the worst for toe movement.

I’m at 6 week’s post surgery now, back to gym classes next week (twice a week to start). I’m doing well, still not eating a lot (especially carbs). I’m down 37 lbs! Still can’t eat rice or quinoa, comes right back up...don’t know why. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reading your email, Anita, I had one of those moments. You know, where you yell "yes!" because someone knows exactly what you are talking about. I mean, I always had the problem off and on, but it wasn't continuous so I passed it off for years. Believe it or not, wearing a heel for work is easier than wearing an athletic shoe. I just got a new pair, but I've been looking for a second pair, and the info you provided will help me to look. I had my eye on a pair of Skechers, which I normally don't associate with athletic footwear, but they do have a line of more serious sneaks for the gym and there was a pair that looked like they could be a good choice.

I have a wide foot. I'm not always able to find wide shoes, so I end up going up a half size. I think much of this is caused by not wearing proper fitting shoes over the years, perhaps. I remember when wide width shoes really didn't exist at all! Even though there is a lot out there now, one issue I have is that my toe span is wide, but not the whole foot. The back of the shoe tends to slip off. I have yet to find flats I can wear without a problem.

Our mall has a few shoe stores. Off Broadway, Famous Footwear, DSW. Since there is so much variety, I am hoping to spend a little time trying more styles on. it may help. There are two main challenges: 1) color, and 2) appropriate for work.

I think I'm always into planning a vacation, but this year I've been more focused than ever. I am feeling really, really good about the choices I'm making when I shop, so it makes the part of choosing for vacation easier, and more enjoyable. I tend to really pick things apart so this is a good feeling. I think there is only one thing that is jumping out at me a bit, but nothing that requires a change. The necklace choice for the long ivory dress isn't my favorite. It's one of those deals where I have an idea in my head and my choice doesn't match it.

Melody, It's great to hear that you are progressing! The timing of your surgery may have been a good idea. I think you'd be really annoyed to have had this much downtime in good weather. I am really not that familiar with hernias or the surgery. Is it common to have trouble with eating after?

I am wondering how neuromas would be in other parts of the foot. Did you have any kind of treatment for it?

I had to have surgery for 3 of my neuromas as they were strangling the surrounding nerves & veins

This was much more extensive surgery than I anticipated. Yes I’m glad it was during the winter when I’d be more quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Melody , Glad to hear you are progressing .Wow 37 pounds ! You will need a whole new wardrobe ! Have fun shopping .

Laurie , For vacation have you considered Fort Meyers Beach ? They have a ferry that does day trips to key West .They also have a Mystery train trip that is fun and nice beaches and other attractions.In the off season Oct & Nov, prices will be very reasonable .

Sally, nope...I’m fitting into things that I haven’t worn in a long time (that were too nice to donate, knowing I’d eventually get the weight off)

A second for Ft Myers Beach! We’ve done the high speed ferry to Key West, lots of fun. You’re also a $6 toll to Sanibel & Captiva Islands. Lovers Key State Park (with the free team that takes you to the beach from the parking lot). Southwest, Jet Blue & Frontier fly into Ft Myers airport. Melody

Anita, I wonder if you ran into this article in your research:

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

In spite of the issues I have from years of dancing, I was fortunate, apparently, that I spent a large part of my day in very flat shoes or barefoot. I also never wear shoes at home, and in the summer I run around barefoot at the lake as much as possible. :)

When I started Zumba I used to wear trailrunner shoes that were supposed to mimic being barefoot, because I was wary of dancing in what felt to me like big clunky sneakers. Now it seems like it might be a good idea to dig those out of the closet again.

Laurie, my feet aren't wide but my heels are narrow, so I use these in some of my shoes to keep them from slipping like you mentioned:

https://www.target.com/p/fab-feet-gel-back-of-heel-cushion-2pk-white/-/A-13978943?sid=1315S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Shoes+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Shoes&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9004331&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0rm52avn2QIVyiSGCh3c5gWTEAQYAiABEgJF8vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you need more than that, it seems like you could have a custom orthotic made.

Edited by MJC

I did run across that article in my reading. What is odd is that I'm normally a barefoot person. Always without shoes at home, and considering how much time I spend at home...that's a lot. But I did start wearing shoes more with the Zumba classes and teaching and also with being in colder areas (despite the moniker "Hotlanta", it was much colder than Houston), I ended up wearing more shoe when I did wear shoes.

Anyway, yes...I'm looking at barefoot style shoes. I just ordered another pair of Minnetonkas that are the soft soled variety. I think they will be well suited for most of my day. And like I said, I'm figuring out the sizing for athletic shoes that are zero drop. I'm planning on wearing those for exercise and longer distance walking, at least until I can get my foot into better shape.

I know that we had a friend of the family have issues with the barefoot style running. I get the concern associated with minimalistic footwear.

I'm also planning on incorporating simple foot exercises into my day.

Laurie, I did another adjustment to my laces. Taking the laces one hole higher before starting the criss cross and then also doing the heel lock lacing to prevent heel slippage. That's interesting and very effective. You should be able to find something in a search, but basically, if your athletic shoes have those two holes at the top...one that is much further back towards the heel that a lot of people don't ever use...thread the laces through that hole FIRST. Then thread back to the more forward hole on the same side. When you tie your shoe, you have to pull on the loop first between the two holes and then pull on the laces to get rid of that loop and tie them. That kind of lacing essentially locks the laces in place so even if they loosen up from the tying, the lacing itself stays tight. Really helpful. I also have a wide toe box but comparatively narrow heel. I affectionately call them duck feet.

As a former marathoner I’d stay away from the barefoot shoes. I saw way too many people have multiple surgeries because of damage caused by those toe look shoes. Minimalist shoes are different, they have support.

I tie my sneakers that way as well Anita & did when I ran to keep the shoes on my narrow heels

I'm still looking into the different shoes and thinking about how I would use them. I wouldn't use the barefoot shoes, or any shoes for that matter, for running because I'm not a runner. My main concern is how well a shoe is supporting the natural movement of my foot in my daily life, which is pretty low key but nonetheless requires shoes. One reason why I thought the more traditional style moccasins would be good.

I have ordered some toe socks. I've been reading reviews of people that say that once they get used to using the toe socks, even with normal shoes, that they can feel the difference in the restriction between the "toe gloves" and the "toe mittens."

I really need to do something that helps keep my big toe in a better line as it's pulling inward. I think my Great Grandma Mary had a bunion. I'm not sure of the progression but basically your big toe starts pointing away from center line of the body and this causes the pressure on the base joint of the big toe that causes the growth outward to try to help balance out the weight distribution on the foot which in turn starts to cause the foot to collapse into an overpronation and the arches to fall. This causes the foot to turn out even more as the weight isn't distributed normally on the leg and the outside hips start to bear more of a burden of posture as the foot turns out more and more through overpronation and also just flat out turning out to try to force more weight away from that falling arch and the inner thighs become weaker and weaker because they can't engage properly which the outer hips/thighs are tight with the turned out foot. This causes poor weight distribution through the knee and all sorts of problems. Now...I don't have ALL these issues but I can see what is happening and I'm not going to just sit by and watch it all unfold. I've become ultra conscious of way I stand and walk etc.

So anyway, I'm all about the feet right now. I'm hoping that the toe socks combines with greater toe box room and the zero drop shoes and the low toe spring shoes (moccasins) will help. Combine that with some self directed physical therapy to work on some perceived weaknesses (inner thigh and general foot/toe/ankle strength) will really spot the foot pain and annoyance. In addition to the Morton neuroma symptom (numb middle toe), I have this recurring pain on the same foot. It's hard to pin point and comes and goes. I was concerned that it was early arthritis kind of pain but after more research, I honestly think that it's muscle pain.

Melody, you have dealt with so many foot issues. I forgot to say...congratulations on the weight loss. It sounds like a bit of a rough way to achieve it with some food issues, but that could be just the shake up that you needed to have happen to effect a long term change. You are so active, I would think that when you are able to get back to "normal" eating that you are able to maintain your new shape.

Had a doctor appt today with my family doc. His comment was, hiatal hernia surgery shouldn’t cause a weight loss but to continue doing what I am [emoji849]. It’s basically a low carb high protein diet. Not having many carbs isn’t really bothering me cause I can’t keep them down when I try them. Another 20 lbs & I’m back to where I always before my first foot surgery, we’ll see if I get there. Melody

Margaret, I have some of those inserts for my shoes. They work well, and are very comfortable. The only issue I have with them is that the adhesive sometimes sticks to my knee highs. We are required to wear some sort of foot hosiery. I think it's about making sure I get them positioned correctly, and that they are well adhered.

Do any of you blister easily? I seem to. Last year, I walked in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge, and ended up with a large blood blister on the bottom of my foot. Often in the summer, when I walk a lot, I will get regular blisters on the bottom of my toes even. And lastly, the silicone grippers they put on the band of strapless bra will give me blisters.

I mention this for two reasons. The first is that I have pretty sensitive skin. The second reason is that I have often wondered if I walk differently than I should because of my foot issues.

On a side note, Victoria's Secret has a new strapless bra in their Sexy Illusions line. It appears to be well made and supportive, and stays in place without the dreaded grippers. The fabric itself seems to be made to stay in place. I'm going to give it a try during vacation to see how it does.

Melody, was your doctor concerned at all that you have trouble eating certain foods? His answer to you would have made my eyes roll too. Your weight loss is awesome, but I think he should be more concerned with this.

Laurie, you may have the beginning of an allergic reaction to adhesive, especially if you’ve had two separate locations where you’ve blistered.

I’ve gone to the same family doc for over 30 years. He knows me well, he’s also a big fan of Low carb lifestyle. He knows my A1C is still 3.1 & my bp is still 115/60 (at its highest) so my overall physical health is pretty good for the mess that my body is in. He’s watching

Laurie, you may have the beginning of an allergic reaction to adhesive, especially if you’ve had two separate locations where you’ve blistered.

I was going to mention that .Laurie, You could be getting sensitive to rubber .Be very careful that is an allergy you do not want to take lightly .

Anita, I was just looking at that green color again (your leggings from Athleta) on my regular desktop computer. It reminds me of a dress I had once. It was a jersey fabric, full length dress I wore on a 4 night cruise, I think. I will have to look for that picture.

It's funny, after I mentioned wanting Athleta to have a sale, I was looking at bathing suits to just kind of sigh over them, and I realized that most were no longer available in my size any more. So I guess I don't have to wait for them to go on sale, lol.

I was in Target last week, and they have some great bathing suits in earth colors. They seemed to be made very well, although I have no idea how they hold up overall. The stitching looked good, the fabric looked good. Online, they had an even bigger variety. There was a ton of olive green as far as one piece suits go. In two pieces suits, they had quite a bit of rust. Not tankinis though...bikinis. Very nice though for those that can wear them.

I am trying to pay more attention to things such as the blisters. I have a habit of just saying something like "I have sensitive skin" and thinking I have to live with it. I'm trying to pay closer attention. The blister that turned into a blood blister on my foot was really awful. Although I do blister easily, this particular case was right after I started having issues with the neuroma, and I think I was walking funny to avoid pain.

But the blisters from the bra were awful.

We got a foot of snow yesterday. It's funny, because it started out wet and heavy, then it got cold and windy, so it changed to the finer, lighter snow. Today it got to the mid 30's so with the dry air, it's amazing how much seems to be gone already. Hopefully, we aren't too far from done with the white stuff.

I learned something new today. Athleta has a one time price reduction match policy. IF, within 14 days of your purchase, they have a price reduction, they say they will refund the difference in the form of a credit to your original form of payment.

I only learned this because I ordered those 2 pairs of tights from the the sale section. I was very irritated to learn that the UPS Surepost delivered my package to the wrong USPS and now my package delivery has been delayed by 5 days. When I was clicking buttons to get the tracking info, it showed me my order as it is on the website currently, which was cheaper than what I paid. Then I click my order information and I paid more than the current price. I found this very irritating, considering the fact that I hadn't even received my order yet and the price has gone down. So I went looking to see if there was a price match policy, and lo and behold, there is.

But you have to request the price match of course. They say email request is fine, so we'll see how that works out. I sent the request today. The total before tax price went down by $25...

I ordered myself a pair of Minnetonka soft sole mocs. I've been wearing the booties I have a bit and they aren't as roomie as they should be...and I thought the rubber sole was preventing them from being able to spread and conform to my foot, so I thought the soft soles would be better. They are. I've even worn them outside, which is definitely different. But honestly, running errands doesn't really require that much walking "outside". I'm still finding it more difficult to put weight on my toes while they are in these shoes though...

Sanuk makes a sandal that I have 2 pairs of. They are yoga mats for the soles; they call them yoga slings. We actually had weather nice enough today to warrant wearing sandals...and those are very good. I wish the soles were more boxy toward the toe...so they will not be a long term solution, but testing out the flat sole of the sandal with toe freedom...I could more easily put weight on my toes than in any other shoe.

I am a woman obsessed with this for the moment, so please excuse me...but it's important to stand properly, which leads to better walking. And standing properly means that you have your weight centered over the arches of your feet with your weight evenly distributed between your heels, the balls of your feet and your big and little toes. Anything else has the potential to lead to problems either in your feet or further up your skeleton (knees, hips, lower back, etc).

I'm contemplating passing along some shoes that I don't think I'll ever wear again. Anyone else wear a 9.5?

Target has some great colors in the swim suits. There's a red/coral kind of color out there right now that seems to be popular that is MY red.

Laurie...there seems to be a lot of talk on forums of people having bad reactions to silicon grip dots in everything from bras to support socks, etc. Some say that there is a treatment on the silicon that causes the reaction and not the silicon itself. Others that it is the silicon, or the friction caused because the silicon is resisting the movement and that is what is causing the blisters, not the silicon itself but the fact that silicon is causing friction. Whatever it is, if you search, you will find that you are not alone.

As for the blisters on your toes...that's a friction blister. This sounds odd, but I would recommend trying toe socks for when you go on those longer walks to see if that helps. I ordered some and while they are a bit odd, I have to say...they are amazingly more comfortable once you get past the newness of having your toes in gloves instead of mittens.

Anita you said you have the beginning of a bunion. If you want to stop the progression (& potentially correct it) get one of the braces that has a hard plastic that goes on the outside of the big toe & has a strap that goes around the foot. It might even help the neuroma. You only wear this brace when you’re sleeping. Melody

Athleta responded overnight. I had a qualifying order and they are crediting my card for the difference in price including the difference in the tax. So yay! So keep that in mind everyone!

Melody...I'm aware of what you are talking about. My description may have painted a picture that is further along than reality. What I observe when I take off certain pairs of shoes is that my foot is in the shape of feet that grow bunions. And it can take days for my foot shape to recover...OR, if I keep wearing the offending shoes, my foot stays in that toe bent in shape, so what I'm doing is weeding out the shoes that cause the offense and getting new shoes that let my feet be in their natural shape so I can cut off the development before it really gets started. It would be more accurate to say that I see what could be the beginnings of a bunion should I continue on the current path without deviation. So I'm deviating.

Those sleeves or devices or whatever you want to call them could be helpful, but I don't see the point in doing something like that if I am not also correcting what I can during all the other hours of the day.

I'm one week away from final payment on Alaska!! Woot woot!!

Anita , Glad your foot issues are not as bad as it had sounded in your post . I have the start of a bunion but since I moved to Florida and mostly wear sandals it has never progressed so your idea of different shoes is worth trying .Bunion surgery is miserable .Anita, You will love Alaska .It is one of my favorite cruises .

Laurie , It is almost cruise time !

I feel almost ready to get a trip plan in place . I am almost back to my old self and I need a goal .