All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret, glad you made it to Michigan & that you’ve had such success shopping! I agree with the orange stitching, what’s up with that? Our first car was a vintage car...never again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anita, happy birthday!

Melody, this has been my favorite Syracuse team since I started following them, and that was a very long time ago. I was around 11 or 12, and I used to listen to the games on the radio with my mom, back when I could still hear. They were close.

Margaret, you did great with your shopping! I can't remember that last time I was able to get bargains that good. I try to monitor prices on things that I like, hoping to get good deals. It's great that you were able to get yourself on a flight before the snow hit.

So, your dad has classic cars? That is interesting, because my husband has a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A he has been restoring for quite a while. I call it his first love, because when I met him, that was one of the first things he talked to me about - his car. I can't imagine expecting him to give it up, even if he has been saving and buying parts for 10 years now. He has been putting money aside, and should be able to start the restoration process itself soon

What kind of cars does he have? There is a big market these days for those. Auctions are one of the best ways to handle them these days.

We had a good workout at the gym this morning. I couldn't go right to sleep after the game, which ended at midnight. Then we got up early for the gym, I did a bunch of extra stuff, then (speaking of classic cars) we went to the Motorama and did a lot of walking. My foot is talking to me a bit, and I would love to take a nap. Too funny.

Have any of you ever been in a Title Nine store, or ordered from them online? They seem to be a lot like Athleta, but geared more towards water sports. I keep getting their catalogs so I was wondering what they were like.

If anyone sees chocolate brown shorts anywhere, let me know. I don't have to have them, but I gave up a pair a few years ago, and have been wishing I still had them ever since. The only other thing I've been looking for is a casual knit dress, a lot like the kind you find in Athleta. I want a good, warm color and I don't want the knit to be too flimsy. I really want it to be easy to wear, without worrying about the fabric.

Anita pointed me to a really nice dress awhile back, but the fabric seemed a little bit thin so I was hesitant to buy it. I may go back and take another look.

This is the Athleta dress I was looking at. I have been wishing it would go on sale. I'm not sure if the constellation blue is warm, but there is also smoked salmon. I really would like to get the color right since it would be a "go to" dress for me.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1061309&pcid=89745&vid=1&pid=210924042

Laurie, brown shorts are so hard to find. Have you considered finding brown pants in a fabric you like and having your tailor shorten them?

My dad has a 1981 red Corvette T-top with some gorgeous chrome rims (fortunately he kept the OEM wheels). It's a beautiful car to look at, but driving without airbags or any of the other new safety equipment gives me the willies. His daily car is a Cadillac DTS. I prefer my brother's 1970 cherry red Cougar because you don't see too many of those any more.

Having a classic car or two laying around seems to be a required hobby in Michigan. :)

Margaret , you really got some great bargains .

Well yesterday was the wedding and it was a gorgeous day but by the time of the ceremony it was starting to get chilly outside .Luckily the reception was inside .I wore a navy lace pants outfit and my SO's ex showed up in a navy lace pants outfit . What are the chances of that happening ? I had better jewelry on .All in all it was a very nice wedding .

Sally, I laughed out loud when I read your comment. That is too funny! I'm glad you had a nice time, and that you were feeling well enough to go to the wedding.

I am going to add a few locations to my Weather Channel app today. One thing I like to do is track the forecast for wherever we are traveling to so that I can or change things if needed. I am thinking that Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Puerto Costa Maya should all be toasty, but it would be good to watch the weather, just in case! More than anything, I am watching for Florida. It is likely going to be very cool here still. As of now, they are saying 43 is the high the day we leave, but there might be a light amount of wet snow in the morning. So you know, I'm not going to be in shorts or a sundress. :-)

When possible, I opt for layers. So if it ends up dry, I might wear cropped jeans with my slip on Skechers. That makes it easy for the airport, and my feet won't be freezing. I can wear a tank top or short sleeved shirt with a sweater or something similar. If Fort Lauderdale is hot, I shed the jacket/sweater, and switch to shorts and sandals with the shirt. If it is pleasant, but not really hot, then I switch to sandals and use the lightweight sweater if needed. I think you get the picture.

I buckled down and did my ironing. When I say it's not my favorite thing, it's not so much that I don't like it...it's just a pain if I get busy.

Today was a big deal, as I did the usual stuff after doing laundry, then started to cruise clothes. The lace dresses needed nothing done at all. The brown dress, despite being a charmeuse type fabric, seems to resist wrinkles incredibly well. It didn't need a thing. The rest I just steamed. I ironed 8 shirts, but I'm just bringing 7. The same with shorts. The reason is, I always have a spare, just in case outfit. Sometimes, that gets worn in Florida the day we fly down, so I was thinking about which would be best if I just change into shorts, based on what shirt I have on when we leave.

I make things much too complicated, lol.

Then I did my husband's shorts. He got out 9 pair...seriously. I mentioned it was a 6 night cruise. What is funny is that he will re-wear most of these. He could easily bring 4 pair, no worries. But he got out 9. He didn't pick his shirts yet, but I ironed the ones he is most likely to bring, and He is going to pick what he plans to bring during the week. I can finish up after that.

It may seem a little early, but next weekend is Easter. We don't do a ton, but we do have plans for dinner on Sunday, so I likely won't be doing that stuff then. Also, my husband has a bunch of overtime this week and next, so I'm working around that a bit. He likes to be last minute, but he understands that for me to iron his stuff, I need a few days before we leave because we both work full time, and have a bunch of other stuff to address before we leave.

I mentioned that my husband can be fussy, right? Fussier than me, even? All 9 pair of his shorts are the exact same brand and style. He does have different colors though - khaki, sand, gray, and a cool olive color. My daughter grabbed a pair of navy shorts for him at Eddie Bauer, and they are different style, not to mention he never wears dark shorts. But I am picturing these with a particular plaid shirt he has, and I'm just itching to see him wear that. He is an air, and this outfit is so perfect for him.

By the way, he has 9 pair and wants to add to it because he is worried they will stop making that style or the store will stop carrying them. It's like he is stock piling for the next bunch of years, lol!

I'm going to do some checking on the helmet dive we are going on. I don't want to risk wearing my hearing aid, even though my head should be dry. I need to make sure I have a hard case with me to put it in for safety while we are on the dive. I always bring my old hearing aid as a back up even though it doesn't work the greatest. Maybe I should have it with me, and switch to that one during the dive?

Margaret, around here, classic cars are quite a bit of fun to have. There seems to be a lot of collectors in our area. We host the Syracuse Nationals every year, and it attracts thousands of people, including the locals. The police crack down a lot on those who want to flex their muscles, and that try to find a place to drag race. Myself, I don't get why someone would want to risk a rare, expensive car that way. Worse yet, risk their own safety?

Margaret, 81 Vet T-top! I may know someone that’s interested (collector).

Sally, I burst out laughing...what are the odds! I bet you looked much better!!!

Laurie, my husband loves & I mean loves Columbia cargo shorts! Last cruise I made him try on every single pair to weed out the ones that had some wear on them (I knew they all fit because he’s worn the same size since the 70s). He had 14 pairs of khaki (three different shades), four grey, five black, two stone & one navy...all Columbia Omni light. Even he was surprised [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I made him get rid of (they became yard work shorts) five pair of khaki ones. Guys [emoji849].

My daughter wears a lot of Title 9 clothes, she’s a PE teacher & they, Athleta & Lulomon give teachers a very good discount.

We had everyone over last night for a late St Pats corned beef & cabbage, unfortunately I was only able to eat 3 bites, but they were good bites. Melody

Laurie , The weather in Florida is warm but the evenings are still chilly . At the wedding which was at 7 pm everybody was wearing sweaters or wraps and still complaining of being chilly..

Gary's ex and I showed up one other time in matching outfits . It was at his son's rehearsal diner . It was close to Christmas so we both had on pants outfits with black pants and silk shirts . My shirt was red and hers was green . It was the same exact outfit .

Sally :D

My sister and I have shown up in the same shirt several times. I once had the same outfit as another wife at our annual New Years Eve dinner, and there were only 10 of us there, so quite a laugh. It was a black tunic and pants with a faux leopard collar.

Here is the orange floral top I got. I notice it comes in a good EARTH green, and I really like the turquoise:

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/a-n-a-woven-tank-top/ppr5007534599?COLOR=Orange+Floral&N=1408+139&badge=new&catId=SearchResults&color=orange&facetSelected=color&pTmplType=regular&searchTerm=ana&selectedSKUId=84223731289

And here is the taupe jacket. I like the color name... Mud Bath :)

www.bonton.com/product/1234880.html?precolor=JackOfHearts&presize=14&CID=GOOG-PLA-AS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_ni7OWK2gIVm4uzCh1nPgCvEAQYASABEgKwDfD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^215771259559-device^c-plaid^306057654930-sku^0888252915934@ADL4BONTON-adType^PLA

Melody, my dad's vette is a beauty. One of the issues with selling is that it is neither completely OEM for collectors nor fully restored for weekend enthusiasts. It does have the original engine and the original wheels are in storage. It is fun to drive it around and get all the stares. :)

VetteSmall.JPG.150996e00c97e37201cbca20a1612477.JPG

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had a somewhat lazy day for my birthday, very nice. DH helped me move around some furniture...it can take a bit of living in a space to figure out the best use of it...we did a bit of weeding out and rearranging. Always something I enjoy doing and it was nice to have the help.

I haven't ordered anything from Title 9. I used to get their catalog several addresses ago, but they haven't followed me or found me so I haven't seen their clothing in a long time.

Sweet shopping Margaret! Glad to see that you were able to travel before the storm hit. This weather is nuts. All I have to say is that there is never, EVER supposed to be SNOW on MY birthday. What in the world? After this weekend's snow, we're supposed to push on 80 degrees this week. Just nuts.

I've never shown up wearing the same outfit as someone else. DH and I often leave the house and then realize that we are dressed a like. We look at each other as we're walking out the door and have to determine if one of us has to change something or if we're different enough in our sameness.

You are so close Laurie! If you have the space to do things in advance of travel...I'm all for doing it early. Make the time right before traveling as easy as it can be. And I also add cities to my weather app prior to travel...

I saw that shirt in the JJill catalog. I'm reading a book that is all about why we like what we like...and whether or not we actually like the things that we SAY we like...and how tastes change...what affects our taste (taste being what we like and don't)...it's fascinating to me. Anyway, I came on here because I was going to share the one dress that I really like in the catalog, but they have a different model/pictures on the web site...and I don't like the dress on that model! I would totally pass it by...but in the catalog, I really like it. So I think that I just like the model more than dress! This is the dress:

https://www.jjill.com/product/seamed-sleeveless-knit-dress

And if everyone has their April 2018 Issue One...page 45...totally different model and pose. And I love the catalog version. Maybe because the model is blonde and looks so toned in the arms? With colors I like in the background? IDK but it's another case for how context can definitely affect taste.

Anita,When you posted that dress I thought so so but the picture of it on page 45 is so cute . A perfect all purpose dress . I would go to a store and try it on . Last year I found a dress I really liked but when I tried it on no way .I do have a dress in that fabric from JJill and I love it .I have a 30% coupon DIAPR18

Margaret,that JC Penney shirt is really nice. It looks like the kind of shirt you could wear under a jacket as well as wear by itself.

The Bon Ton jacket I've had before. They also carry other styles and colors on a regular basis. The wash great and can be dressed up or down. I shrunk out of mine but I plan to be on the lookout for them as they will often get good earth colors in the fall.

Anita, the JJill dress is cute, and I totally get what you mean about the picture. I got the exact same catalog in the mail today. As I looked through, there was a cropped pair of pants in a floral print with an ivory background. I found myself looking at them again and again. I think Iwould have to try them on. They are a print. And the light color probably wouldn't do me any favors. But I still want to try them.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I was thinking about a few different things here tonight. I brought some work home with me, and I just finished up. It's nice to get a change of scenery, so to speak! Enough work!

Anita, we just rearranged our den. We aren't done yet, but I think it is so refreshing to move things around when you can, or change out some pillows or a rug, etc. In your case, you are getting used to your new space.

With me, I just realized we had too much stuff that we didn't need in the den. It is very easy to stockpile things a bit. I realized not long ago that I had some brand new notebooks, unopened packages of filler, paper, etc. It is good to have things like that handy, but I didn't need most of what I had, and I thought it would be a good thing to donate. That got me going through all sorts of things.

Melody and Sally, how are both of you feeling?

I still haven't had a chance to do any serious research for our fall vacation, but my TA recommends Clearwater Beach. He said there is a hotel there that is really nice, and in the middle of things, so to speak. There is a lot to do right there. I really like simplicity.

He also mentioned Hollywood Beach and said there were a few things my husband may really like, such as a naval museum that was nearby. I will need to check these out.

I don't really mind renting a car if needed, but I like things to be easy and less fussy during vacation, and we don't mind at all walking a few blocks to go somewhere. One thing I hate is being on a busy highway, fumbling with instructions, missing an exit, heavy traffic, etc.

I think one thing that surprised me about driving from Orlando to Cape Canaveral was how easy and uneventful the drive way. There really isn't much traffic in the Cape Canaveral area, in my opinion. Of course, that is based on when I was there, and I know have just been a slow time.

Laurie what time frame are you looking at for your fall travel?

I'm very pleased with the rearranging that we did. I shared with DH that I was feeling that we weren't really getting the loft experience that I was hoping for. We had sorted through things to a certain extent, and we did move more than we anticipated keeping as we hadn't seen the inside of our new place and weren't sure what all would work or be useful, etc. So that was the impetus behind getting the sort going again...DH had been hoping to take me to the coast to get some ocean time, but DS had a required performance that created conflict for an overnight trip and I didn't think 8 hours in the car in one day sounded fun at all...

So the consolation gift was to get moving again on what was really bothering me around our loft. DH had to travel this week, so I was free to do the last bit of moving around in the closet. Our closet is very large and we have two bookcases in there. They are shorter and stacked on top of each other...they needed to be moved one more time. And in that process, and the catch up on laundry, I sorted through more things and took a big load to Goodwill.

There's a mirror that hangs in front of one of the elevators in the building. It's very large. We can all stand side by side and check ourselves out. Point being that I've seen myself repeatedly grab things to wear that are just habitual things...and I don't really like them. I'm just used to them. So, I've packed away the couple sentimental things and donated the rest. I have plenty of clothes, so it's not hurting me to donate things that I keep wearing. This will force me to wear these other things that I have but don't wear because I kept reaching for the familiar...

No longer an option.

And now there's room again in my drawers and my closet. I'm very pleased. It's just the beginning of the continuation of the process though. One thing is for sure...our kitty is loving the new arrangement. Her favorite pieces of furniture are back in use in a way that she can use them for happy napping again...and the windows are more accessible. It's been fun to see her get a boost.

I've really latched on to the one question from that Curated Closet book...I didn't finish the book. It wasn't the right time to do the process as the book was prescribing, but the one question...if someone were to go into your closet (or drawers I suppose) and randomly pick out a piece of clothing, what are the odds that it would be a favorite piece of clothing? I couldn't quite cull the warm weather clothing as effectively...but I was able to just say to myself that I wasn't even interested in wearing some things when the weather does turn.

Meanwhile my Athleta exchange has come and I wore the tights today. I will say that they are tight. Tighter than I would truly like them to be, even for tights, but they don't fall down like the size up was doing. I'm hoping that our preparations for Alaska and being more active with warmer weather will give me just a bit more of a looser fit. They do have a draw string...so, if they get too loose...I wouldn't complain. But the verdict is that I would definitely size down for these High Traverse Tights.

Laurie , For either of those areas in Florida you would need a rental car . They are both in heavily traffic areas . When in the fall are you thinking about for this trip ? The only town I can think about that you do not need a car in is Key West or if you are staying in Disney .Have you considered New Orleans ? You do not need a car . World War 2 museum for your husband , Carriage rides through the historic part , great food and lots of music and all the hotels have pools for relaxing .Florida or New Orleans will be very warm in the fall just avoid September .That is the worst month for storms.

Laurie, I was getting ready to respond when I read Sally’s comment. She’s spot on. New Orleans is a fun town, always something going on & you don’t want a car there! Love the Clearwater area, definitely need a car there. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy Easter and passover, everyone!

I'm a week away now fromantic my cruise. Tomorrow is a holiday, but I am not hosting dinner this year. We actually decided to go out to dinner last year, and loved it. We will do the same this year. It will be me and my husband, our daughters and my stepmother. When we get back, we are getting out the suitcases.

I am going to pack the things that we don't have to worry about wrinkling and the like, such as swimsuits, pajamas and shoes. .All my stuff is ironed and ready, but I won't actually pack them yet. My husband promises to pick the rest of his shirts. I will use Monday and Tuesday to iron, color my hair and probably work late! Wednesday we will go to the gym, Thursday I go to the grocery store (the girls are taking care of the dogs and will do some cooking) and pa ybills.

I'm off Friday, but I have my physical in the morning. I will do up the laundry and pack. When the girls get home from eork, we go for manicures and pedicures together. This is a traditional thing for us. It's a thank you for taking care of the dogs and the house and all that.

Here's the interesting thing. When we leave Saturday morning, it's going to be in the upper 20s to low 30s with a little bit of snow - nothing to worry about. But it will be in the mid 80s in Florida so I will be changing into a completely different outfit after the flight.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Happy Holiday! We had a really fun seder last night with six of DH's cousins. I am stuffed and my apartment is super clean. :) It was nice to share our new home and receive compliments on our remodel. This morning we had a belated Year of the Dog brunch in Chinatown, and tomorrow DH has promised me a chocolate bunny, so we are having a very multi-culti weekend. :)

Hoping you all are enjoying time with loved ones this weekend.

932867711_happyeaster.jpg.175cbdcd96964e1a6799921f97943bc5.jpg

We’re going to our oldest daughter’s for dinner (20 of us).

Did you know that this is the first time since 1956 that Easter & April Fools have fallen on the same day!