All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Sometimes, links won't work for me from certain devices. My laptop and desktop aren't an issue, but I often have trouble with links if I am using my phone or my Nook, for some reason.

The zipper on the swimsuit...well, the suit is expensive, even with 30% off. But I like it a lot, so I would try it to see what I thought. A few years ago, I found an olive green suit with a zipper. I ordered it, but it was too small and I had to send it back and they didn't have my size. I could get the swimsuit on, but it was too tight. The zipper didn't bother me at all, though.

I am kind of full up there, so sometimes, the zipper is more in front of the cleavage than actually setting or rubbing against the skin. My concern is that if I went into the water and it was hot, I wouldn't want a metal zipper heating up.

But I really like the suit a lot. I think the color is a good one too.

The bronze dress (or black and gold?) is one of those things where I would try it. I say that a lot lately...I'll try it! The reason being is that I have realized there are things I can look at and flat out say no, never, nada. And I stay away from those things. But if I think it is a possibility, even remotely, I try it. The reason is that since I've been losing weight, things that I thought were awful looking on me before look different now. I'm still that inverted triangle, but things fit better.

Out of all the things I posted, I think that stands the smallest chance of being successful. The peach floral dress is really beautiful, and I have seen this dress in person, but in a different color that I would not wear. unless they have changed the styling, it is shaped to follow your body. It looked like it would be flattering.

Sally, my initial dresses for formal night were a group of about 5. They were not the cheapest, but not expensive either. All the alterations to get them to fit were costly though. I wore all of them 2-3 times except one. When I fluctuating a bit, I had a few dresses that were actually jersey maxi dresses but dressier that I worked with.

Then I had a few new things and thought I was set. Then I lost more weight. I bought a few inexpensive things that I got really good deals on, and a couple of them I never even got to wear before losing weight.

Weight loss is a great thing, but frustrating at the same time. I believe I currently have 6 full length dresses, which is sufficient. if I find the right thing at the right price, I'll look at it. What I would really like at this time are some cocktail dresses. I had a formal event to go to in February (Sweet Cabaret) and I wore a dress that had been taken in a few times. It worked, but barely.

So many of my clothes have come and gone. I have one closet that I share with my husband. I have my shorts and tank tops in under the bed storage along with a few work clothes that are summer only items here in New York. I will bring them out soon, and put away some sweaters and heavier jeans.

I think the thing for me is, we definitely have 4 distinct seasons weather-wise, plus I need a variety of items. Board room, day to day work, weekend...and even without cruises, I do need some formalwear for bank functions since we sponsor a lot of charities.

Margaret, Africa sounds so exotic to me. The idea of planning for a trip such as that sounds exciting and scary all at once. There must be so much to learn.

Funny thing here, but at work, we do sponsor a lot of charities, as I previously mentioned. They are doing a clothing drive for women that relates to a program that trains women for the workforce. When they complete the program, they try to set them up with some suits and other work clothes to get started. I was sad that I didn't know about this program sooner. I had a few things ready to donate, so I am able to give a few things, which is nice. But I also realized I have a few things in my closet that are too big, and I don't remove them because I don't have good replacements. What is ironic is that I seldom wear them, because they're baggy and I end up looking really frumpy in them.

Anita, now that you have been in your apartment for a year, what do you think? There were a lot of changes for you - new area, big house to small apartment, suburbs to city. When and if you move later on, do you think you would look for a similar setup?

Laurie...if you know your return policies...and they work for you...and you don't mind that process, it can be a lot of fun to do online shopping. DH and I also think it's like Christmas...getting orders in the mail. It's happy mail! And there's far too little happy mail in the world these days.

There is frustration dealing with clothes with weight loss...no one really talks about it because it can seem somehow wrong to talk about the woes of weight loss, but it's as real of a problem as having clothing not fit because of weight gain. It's hard to let go of the things that are too big, but if you do, maybe you can see more clearly how you can make these you have work for different situations while you continue to look. Especially if you aren't wearing them anyway. Make room.

I love being in the apartment. I don't mind communal living done well. This is a good building. The units were originally designed to be sold, not run as a rental, so the sound proofing is really good.

And I think we did a good job of finding a place that suits our needs. Our living space is small but the functionality is big. We have 2 bedrooms and an office that can be closed off. It might seem odd, but we put DS in the office so he can have his own living space. DH and I kind of own the general living areas and of course DS hangs out with us too, but then he has a space to get away. And that works both ways...we have a place from which he can leave and get away. There's a book out there called The Big Little House and one of the important rooms in your house is the "away room" where people can have some private space away from the main living. This apartment has that. And while DS is at school...we can use that room during the day, if we need to. DH goes in there sometimes for phone calls when the train go by! LOL.

After the walkable urban living, I don't think that I could go back to a typical suburban area. There are some areas that are very walkable that aren't necessarily urban, so I am open to location so long as the functionality is there. I think Margaret has a great situation with the in town living and the lake house. DH and I talk about that for us...in town living combined with the house in the country, whether that was a lake house, or acres in the country.

Our Vancouver hotel is all finalized now! We earned the final points we needed over Spring Break, so we were able to pay for the hotel with points! Woot woot!

Understand about dealing with clothes & weight loss. I had to wash a pair of jeans in hot water today & dry them in the dryer. I had them on yesterday & they actually slid down off my hips. I thought Les was going to get hysterical, he was laughing so hard [emoji849].

My really good formal clothes are from before I added 25 lbs & I’m down 40 now. Most fit very well, there’s still a few that I can lose another 10-15 lbs before I have to have them adjusted. I have two formal tuxedos (one electric blue with a skirt & one traditional black with a skirt & pants), they used to be my work uniform for formal events. I plan on wearing my white sparkly jacket for the reunion (over my black jumpsuit)...I may need that jacket adjusted, but I’m waiting until July, just in case I lose more weight. I think Les would like it if I wore the blue tuxedo...we’ll see. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just have time to pop in and say a quick hi because Dani is back at the vet for more tests and my day was crazy busy. At this point it is either IBD or lymphoma, so we are hoping for IBD (as odd as that sounds to say) because it is treatable. Wish her luck, poor baby. Me too, I'm a wreck waiting to hear what's next on Thursday.

Lots to say about Africa but the short version is that my conversation with the planner was very good and then Debbie graciously spent over an hour on the phone with me on Sunday. She was SO helpful. We were hoping to go in January but when I looked into bookings for award flights I ran into trouble. We are close to having a Tanzania itinerary but we may have to wait to use it until 2020 because I think we missed the award window. I can find award flights to many different hubs in Europe, but the connection to Nairobi is not available as far as I can tell (even in coach). So, we are thinking of other travel options for this year, but now everything is on hold while we deal with the cat. DH left for Australia yesterday and the apartment is very quiet. :(

Love that blue bathing suit. That style is my latest go-to because they offer great support and the seaming is flattering. Don't know about the zipper, though.

Well so much for the shopping my closet . The JJill catalog arrived and I ordered a few things .The problem with living in Florida is that we wear pretty much the same things year round and since they are mostly cotton they tend to wear out so I really did have to replace my white crops .I am going to try to be more mindful of shopping and check my closet before I buy. I am starting to make a list for our Cuba trip . I really hope We make it this time .

I haven't gotten the mail yet today! I wonder if I'll have a catalog waiting for me?

I'm going step by step now through the days. Today I called one of my credit card companies to switch my card to a travel rewards card so I can have a Visa that doesn't card foreign transaction fees. The Delta Amex also doesn't but not everyone takes Amex, including the Skytrain, which is how we are getting from the airport to downtown.

Now I'm researching Vancouver. It appears that there's something of a scene for waffles there, making a distinction between Brussels style (often mistakingly referred to as Belgium) and Liege style. DH is a huge waffle fan OMG. I'm not trying to plan everything, just get a feel for the city...

Me too. The look on page 30 is my favorite casual go-to: loose top, skinny pant, cute sandals. I really like the denim dress on page 33, and that Tahitian Teal color.

Miss Dani may come home tomorrow. :) So far the new meds are working, so we may have finally gotten a diagnosis. Will have to see how her recovery goes, whether it is a one-time deal or a chronic issue. I don't care as long as she comes home. I miss my baby.

I did some summer shoe shopping after work but I didn't find the things I liked in my size. I am looking to replace my favorite sparkle keds with another comfy but fun walking shoe. I was actually surprised that I got two seasons out of those keds, but now they look a little shabby. I saw these at Macys and I think I'll get them:

https://www.zappos.com/p/anne-klein-zilya-metallic-taupe-taupe/product/9036052/color/746109?ef_id=WuE1HgAAAUu9nO6L:20180426021038:s

The reviews aren't good but they fit me really well. I just didn't want to buy the floor sample. yuk.

I didn't get a JJill catalog. [emoji54] I got Talbots, Athleta, Venus and Chadwicks though!

Anita, I always love to research places too. It is great to have things to look forward to when you travel. Waffles sound so good to me at this very moment. Maybe I'll make some Sunday! One of my favorite things to do when traveling is to find a great place to eat, or to look for a certain food that the area is known for.

I'm hoping Miss Kitty is okay.

One of the things I love about this group is how we can have different perspectives or feel the exact same way, and still be able to share and discuss things. It's like chatting with a great group of friends.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Cute shoes! I used to be able to wear things like that all the time, but I have trouble now. I remember before my pacific coastal cruise I got two pairs of Keds right from their website, but couldn't wear them. I tried Sperry too. I think it's because I have a wide foot at the toe span, but it's hard to find things like that in wide width. Iend up with a bigger size and they don't fit right in the heel. The heel inserts sometimes work but I don't know about with sneakers...

Anita, I can't stand it when people say Belgium waffles. It's like saying Canada bacon or France fries. I'm 1/4 Belgian, on my mother's side. My grandma's family is from just outside of Bruges (such a beautiful city).

Laurie, with canvas sneakers you have to worry too that they will stretch over time.

Heads up, ladies, I saw lots of peachy pink sneakers and tops. It is the color of the moment, already seeing it on the streets here. Also, rumors that chunky white sneakers a la late 1980's are making a comeback. Not on my feet! And high-waisted light wash jeans for spring.

Most trends I can take it or leave it. What I don't like is when the colors you like are pushed out of the marketplace for things like this that I refuse to wear again. ;)

Edited by MJC
add info

I STILL haven't gotten the mail...

It seems that I can't be bothered to go all the way to the ground floor from my 6th floor apt today...LOL.

Cute shoes Margaret! Reviews are helpful when people describe their own foot shape etc and how the shoe fits on their foot. If a shoe works for you...forget the reviews. I wouldn't buy a floor model shoe either.

And my bad...I should have said Belgian waffles...except that now I've learned that DH has a serious preference for Brussels waffles. And I've never heard of Liege waffles, but they sound good. Laurie...I make buttermilk Belgium (Brussels) waffles. Years ago, we got DH a Waring waffle maker and we wore it out...meaning that the overspray from the non-stick spray corroded the screws on the thing and it just fell apart. It's the kind that I saw Hampton Inn use way back when and decided it was a good maker. We have another one now and are careful to shield the screw part from the overspray. We keep the waffles to special occasions now...not as often as we used to.

I hope Miss Dani comes home tomorrow!

My funniest thought/story about a locality labeled food is when we went to Chicago with DS' chorus class and were chaperones. We went to a famous hot dog place and we really wanted "Chicago Dogs"...but we couldn't find them on the menu anywhere. But we finally realized that the plainly label "Hot Dog" was, hello?, a CHICAGO dog, because, hello? we were IN Chicago...a HOT DOG IN Chicago IS a Chicago Dog. DUH!

OMG...WMD Waffles of Massive Deliciousness!! That is CRUEL Outside the gym? So wrong. But that food truck looks SO RIGHT.

Sally, I'm reading some negatives about the HOHO Trolley...namely that it is too many tourists and too few trolleys. When did you go? Were you waiting a lot? I was reading about the #19 bus that will go from the stop on the street behind our hotel to Stanley Park. But then...that's it. Walk all around.

IDK about the suspension bridge...we have issues with heights around here...that isn't striking me as an enjoyable thing at all. DS was like, we're going to be in Vancouver? IDK that! That's the Hollywood of Canada! Which has me looking that up and discovering that he is absolutely correct...and I had no idea. And many shows he watches are filmed there...and maybe we should plan some touring just to see the sites that are often filmed...especially with his interest in composing for film...

Cute shoes! I used to be able to wear things like that all the time, but I have trouble now. I remember before my pacific coastal cruise I got two pairs of Keds right from their website, but couldn't wear them. I tried Sperry too. I think it's because I have a wide foot at the toe span, but it's hard to find things like that in wide width. Iend up with a bigger size and they don't fit right in the heel. The heel inserts sometimes work but I don't know about with sneakers...

I mostly lurk here, but I thought I should comment since I have similar feet:) . Slip on shoes are often difficult for me, but with a true sneaker/running shoe you can do a process called "lace locking" that helps with the loose ankle. I don't know if I can describe it well, but a running store could show you if this doesn't make sense:

When you lace your shoes instead of stopping at the next to the last hole with the lace "out" for tying, go to the last hole with the lace "in" the shoe. Extend the laces a bit between the last two holes then feed the end of the laces through the opposing loop. You can now do a sawing motion to tighten the laces to keep the ankle tighter.

Hope that helps:)

The next time you visit NYC:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/wafles-and-dinges/

They used to park outside of my gym. Talk about cruel.

Ok, now I want a Liege wafel with Nutella & raspberries! However, I know it wouldn’t stay down, so I’ll just dream about it.

We’re trying to decide if we’ll stay in Vancouver or Seattle. I can’t check flight costs yet as they won’t be out till the end of September. Now I know why I don’t normally book cruises out 18 months!