All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie! Isn’t this your dress? Our teacher daughter wore it for Senior awards today e4a0309a2dfb2fd9df9c9be156d89229.jpg. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your daughter looks like you Melody:halo: I like the jacket too. My daughter has a similar dress but in a different color. I love the dress but not how it looks on our arms - I might experiment with jackets though:)

Those dresses are very similar, but they aren't the same dress. Melody, your daughter's has lace that is similar to my lace maxi skirt. I really like pairing that up with something more rugged and almost campy casual. The denim looks great. I paired my similar lace with a cargo vest. That lace is more chunky? Laurie's is more delicate. More A-line versus more sheath. Fully lined versus the V-neck lining and the skin peeking through. Buttery versus more sunshine yellows. Both are great...and it's interesting to see how a dress that could be described in the exact same way "yellow lace knee-length" could be so different and yet so appropriate to their wearers. I can't picture either Laurie or your daughter is the other's dress!

Vodka...very interesting. We do have the beverage package. Yes, I'll have vodka, neat please. Do you add water? That's very similar to the mouth wash shower trick. If you don't have the ability to actually take a shower...mouth wash kills the bacteria that also causes BO, so you can swab your underarms with some minty freshness and then reapply your deodorant. (This is a very useful trick for going to places like camping music festivals for multiple nights when you aren't likely to take a shower in the provided public facilities;))

That said. I really love camping. I prefer backpacking to car camping. I get a thrill knowing that everything I need to live through the next however many days is what I am carrying and nothing else. And I love sleeping outside...especially if I'm surrounded by nature. Just love it.

That is a great 14 day itinerary. Nice mix of ports and sea days. And hitting the west coast of the Kenai Peninsula...that's wonderful and not something you see often.

Our next splurge to Alaska will likely be Denali. That will require much more planning though. I could easily put together some other itineraries now for various land trips to Alaska...we were really disappointed when we realized that our 3-4 nights post cruise wasn't enough for us to see Denali, at least, not the way that we would want to. We decided that we would rather have a trip that focused just on Denali rather than skimp on it in a way that wasn't our style and would literally be a check mark on a bucket list. We do have some exciting adventures awaiting us on land and we're just getting more and more excited for the trip altogether as each day goes by.

Well...I ordered several shirts. One smart wool and several bamboo. REI Garage finds. I also ordered a couple of bamboo dresses. We'll see. I think I'm going to take one or two dresses on the trip and just flip flop them each night on the cruise. I know myself, and I think that I'm going to be brain dead when it comes to the evenings. After an active day off ship, I think I'll be ready to shower and dress for dinner. I think. But I'll just want to throw on something simple and extremely comfortable. That would be a dress. I figure that if I shower before wearing them each night, they won't get too dirty to rewear. So long as I eat with any sort of grace.:') Good colors in the dresses...a sort of rust and army. And it's entirely possible that I just change an item or two that I wore in port...depending on the weather...and wear that to dinner.

I know that's an option. Mom and Dad get a bag of free laundry that they rarely use that we could even use but most of our clothes are wash cold and dry low if not dry flat so...not feeling good about using ship laundry. We've scoped out one of the best laundromats in the US in Girdwood. We're going to do some there on Friday. I just have to get through to Friday.

Karin has great arms (swimmer & pe teacher as well as personal trainer) but she was cold

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:o I hope I didn't imply anything about your daughter - she looked great. The "our" arms was me and my daughter.

Those dresses are very similar, but they aren't the same dress. Melody, your daughter's has lace that is similar to my lace maxi skirt. I really like pairing that up with something more rugged and almost campy casual. The denim looks great. I paired my similar lace with a cargo vest. That lace is more chunky? Laurie's is more delicate. More A-line versus more sheath. Fully lined versus the V-neck lining and the skin peeking through. Buttery versus more sunshine yellows. Both are great...and it's interesting to see how a dress that could be described in the exact same way "yellow lace knee-length" could be so different and yet so appropriate to their wearers. I can't picture either Laurie or your daughter is the other's dress!

Good eye and explanations. I agree both dresses are great in their own way, and the denim jacket probably wouldn't work on Laurie's (maybe a sweater though?). I really like the butter yellow color, but not sure if it would work on my complexion. Yellows are tricky.

Vodka...very interesting. We do have the beverage package. Yes, I'll have vodka, neat please. Do you add water? That's very similar to the mouth wash shower trick. If you don't have the ability to actually take a shower...mouth wash kills the bacteria that also causes BO, so you can swab your underarms with some minty freshness and then reapply your deodorant. (This is a very useful trick for going to places like camping music festivals for multiple nights when you aren't likely to take a shower in the provided public facilities;))

Great tip about the mouthwash! I know the stage crew added water, but not the ratio. Between being a school production (3rd -12th graders) at a school that's part of a church which abstains from alcohol - I probably wasn't even supposed to know about the "special" water;) I didn't notice any alcohol scent when spraying, so probably 50/50% mix?

That said. I really love camping. I prefer backpacking to car camping. I get a thrill knowing that everything I need to live through the next however many days is what I am carrying and nothing else. And I love sleeping outside...especially if I'm surrounded by nature. Just love it.

That is a great 14 day itinerary. Nice mix of ports and sea days. And hitting the west coast of the Kenai Peninsula...that's wonderful and not something you see often.

Our next splurge to Alaska will likely be Denali. That will require much more planning though. I could easily put together some other itineraries now for various land trips to Alaska...we were really disappointed when we realized that our 3-4 nights post cruise wasn't enough for us to see Denali, at least, not the way that we would want to. We decided that we would rather have a trip that focused just on Denali rather than skimp on it in a way that wasn't our style and would literally be a check mark on a bucket list. We do have some exciting adventures awaiting us on land and we're just getting more and more excited for the trip altogether as each day goes by.

Well...I ordered several shirts. One smart wool and several bamboo. REI Garage finds. I also ordered a couple of bamboo dresses. We'll see. I think I'm going to take one or two dresses on the trip and just flip flop them each night on the cruise. I know myself, and I think that I'm going to be brain dead when it comes to the evenings. After an active day off ship, I think I'll be ready to shower and dress for dinner. I think. But I'll just want to throw on something simple and extremely comfortable. That would be a dress. I figure that if I shower before wearing them each night, they won't get too dirty to rewear. So long as I eat with any sort of grace.:') Good colors in the dresses...a sort of rust and army. And it's entirely possible that I just change an item or two that I wore in port...depending on the weather...and wear that to dinner.

I usually find dresses comfortable for dinner too. Those times I've eaten with less grace than intended;) if I spot treat right away the outfit is usually ok later.

It is a chunky lace, very buttery. She got it at WHBM (& I thought that’s where Laurie’s was from?). I’d never wear it a) color & b) my arms. I might wear the dress with a bolero sweater & a different color

Anita. Mix the vodka 2 to 1 with water. Never heard about the mouthwash trick, interesting.

Don’t forget your bug dope (stronger than repellent), buy it in Alaska. Mosquitos are about the size of hummingbirds (well, maybe not that big, but they’re huge!). Melody

Anita, one of the things that seeing Alaska by ship gives you is a real sense of the vastness of the place. I don't know that you get that same feeling on the ground, you will have to let us know. :) Also on our last night in Prince William Sound we saw so many whales, we could run from one side of the ship to the other and they were everywhere. It was amazing.

I also have this really surreal memory of the Anchorage airport. We connected there on our way home from Vietnam and had to deplane to go through customs. We were so disoriented from the time change and it was very late at night. On the wall near our gate was the world's largest flounder. It is very flat but as big around as a Volkswagon. We were just flabbergasted and a little giddy from tiredness, saying "is it real, it can't be," but it is.

Sally, we have been to several locales where there was no TP, soap, towels, or anything really in the bathrooms. Sometimes the floors have been very, very unclean. A skirt, capris, or shorts are much easier to keep off the floor than long pants. Not in anyway a comment on Cuban cleanliness as I haven't been there.

Laurie, pretty dress. I haven't found a yellow that looks good on me, and perhaps I just don't like myself in that color. Too funny about your DH and the toe, but it really does lengthen one's line (several centuries of ballet dancers would agree).

I used to read a lot more when I rode the subway every day, but I still go through a book a week. My favorites are historical fiction and chick lit, but I also read the occasional romance and crime novels. I usually have a non-fiction book going at the same time, mostly things about the brain or learning, something related to teaching. I really like Thomas Friedman and Malcolm Gladwell. Like Laurie I'm a huge Janeite. I'm obsessed with the actor who played Henry Tilney in the latest version of Northanger Abbey.

Is anyone watching Unforgotten on PBS? It's really good.

Kitty update: no cancer. Happy Dance! but, IBD, not a picnic. So good to have her home, and DH will be back on Thursday, I think I'll sleep well tonight. Adult beverages on me. :)

Finally got the pictures to load. Nate graduates on 16 May & leaves for AF basic training on 5 June. Melody

Your grandson and his girlfriend look lovely (her dress is stunning)<3 . My daughter is a Junior this year and has worn cocktail dresses to her formal each year (they start at 9th grade) but plans to do a full gown next year. This years dress was knee length, and sort of gray (maybe dove?), and had light sequins throughout. Last year she wore the same dress my Great Grandmother wore for her 50th anniversary (1970) - pink, lacy, full skirt. I loved that the dress could be used again (it's still in amazing condition) and since it was designed for a shorter woman with curves it fit K perfectly:D

Anita, one of the things that seeing Alaska by ship gives you is a real sense of the vastness of the place. I don't know that you get that same feeling on the ground, you will have to let us know. :) Also on our last night in Prince William Sound we saw so many whales, we could run from one side of the ship to the other and they were everywhere. It was amazing.

I also have this really surreal memory of the Anchorage airport. We connected there on our way home from Vietnam and had to deplane to go through customs. We were so disoriented from the time change and it was very late at night. On the wall near our gate was the world's largest flounder. It is very flat but as big around as a Volkswagon. We were just flabbergasted and a little giddy from tiredness, saying "is it real, it can't be," but it is.

Sally, we have been to several locales where there was no TP, soap, towels, or anything really in the bathrooms. Sometimes the floors have been very, very unclean. A skirt, capris, or shorts are much easier to keep off the floor than long pants. Not in anyway a comment on Cuban cleanliness as I haven't been there.

snip

Kitty update: no cancer. Happy Dance! but, IBD, not a picnic. So good to have her home, and DH will be back on Thursday, I think I'll sleep well tonight. Adult beverages on me. :)

Cancer free kitty - yay! Glad you have her home.

Alaska sounds amazing. I'm so looking forward to sharing it with my in-laws.

I always carry hand sanitizer and tp when in ports. I figure I never know what I'll find, and even if they were stocked in the morning by the end of the day with a ship full of tourists (or multiple ships) they might be empty by the end of the day.

Margaret, great news about Danica.

IBD can be managed. When you mentioned the flounder in Anchorage I showed it to Les. He had a picture of it when he landed in Anchorage on his way to Vietnam (less fun trip than yours). We had another picture with the flounder when we all came back from Okinawa. I think it’s the most photographed flounder in the world!

I also carry packets of tissue & hand sanitizer in ports. First time you see a benjo ditch instead of a toilet it is an awakening

YAAAAAYYY!!! So glad Miss Dani can be treated. And I can imagine how happy you are to have her back home. I read that while my own Gracie Girl was curled up next to my pillow. DH is also traveling so I could totally relate to the joy of having your furry companion back.

Melody...I was shocked with how wintry your first picture looked! We are in FULL spring mode...all the grass is green...the trees are greening...we're past the dogwoods peak bloom...so we've been through the first pink already. I walked past an azalea yesterday that was completely covered in glorious fuchsia. Your GS looks very dapper in his vest. I love the vest so much more than the cumber bun. Her dress' beading IS stunning. It's interesting to note to me how little makeup the girls wear to these events these days. I recall wearing so much more, just because it was a dress up event and all the pictures.

I haven't had any bamboo clothing yet. But we had a set of bamboo sets and I LOVED them. They were the best. I was so sad when I discovered that I had left them in the dryer of the last house we rented in Texas. :( So I fully believe how comfortable they are. The dresses are swing style so they may not be very flattering, but honestly, for Alaska, I'm not really caring about anything but function and/or comfort.

We will be spending HOURS in the Anchorage airport so I will hunt down that flounder!

I'm not watching Unforgotten. We don't have cable and stream everything and I'm always on the look out for the next show to watch. I'm going to look that up!

If you are a PBS member you can stream all the episodes free. I had missed the first one so I was able to watch it online. I DVR'd the rest.

Melody, beautiful photos of your grandson & friend. I went to prom in the disco 70's so there was lots of sparkly makeup, strappy heels, and fancy hair. While DH (he was SO back then) was in law school we went to their annual formal called the Crease Ball each year, and being the 80's there was big hair and big shoulder pads. :) I like the more natural look that's popular now.

I've only once seen a live flounder. They are hard to spot when snorkeling unless they are disturbed.

Melody, I read several books about the history of Vietnam and the war before we went. I was a gap kid in that, in my family, my dad's generation was too old to serve and my brothers and cousins were too young. So, my knowledge was limited to what I saw on TV as a child, and I didn't want to be ignorant about what I was seeing when I went there, and I didn't want to be blind to the complexities of the experience. I am glad that Les came home safe and you both have such a beautiful family together.

We are going straight from winter to spring. It was 50 on Monday and it will be over 80 today. Our trees are a month late opening, and we still have forsythia blooming (usually mid-March). It's been so cold I completely forgot to make the call to get our boat ready for delivery.

Dani is doing ok for now, and we will have a few weeks of tweaking her diet and medication until we find a workable solution for her. I'm thankful for small things, like that her presentation is no poop rather than diarrhea everywhere. She's gotten very skinny! But, last night she actually wanted to play for a couple minutes, which is a very good sign.

As to fashion, I took every pair of shoes out of my closet so I could get a handle on what I have going on in there. I have 60 pairs of shoes! But, I have been able to see that I am mostly sticking to a pattern of base colors -- black, brown, and taupe for cold weather; bronze, saddle and light taupe for warm weather -- in the range of styles I need for different weather and activities: booties, work shoes, dressy heels, flats (loafers and Skechers), walking sandals, heeled sandals. Three pairs of sneakers - gym, Zumba, trailrunners. Snow boots. Three pairs of flip flops. Then I have six pairs of evening shoes, of which one needs to be tossed and two are getting donated, leaving me with black, bronze, and silver. And I still have my wedding shoes which don't count. :)

I have some random shoes that I bought because Iiked them, and they don't fit into the pattern of how I actually wear shoes, so I will make an attempt to wear them more often. If it ends up that I don't, then I'll give them away. It was also a good opportunity to assess what condition everything is in. I have a tendency to wait until my shoes are worn out and then get frustrated that I can't find a replacement at that very moment. I used to plan ahead more.

Bamboo clothing is amazing! Les has several tshirts that we bought these last 2 trips. They were closing the Cariloa store in Belize last May & I bought 3 sets of king sheets for $25 a pair! Id have bought more but they’re kind of heavy in a package! Les got 2 tshirts & a polo for $20 (all they had in his size). He got another T-shirt in Aruba & it was $25. He asked for the Belize deal & they looked at him like a monkey doing a math problem. Figured it was worth a shot! [emoji23][emoji23].

I bought a pair of Teva wedge sandals, slight heel, but I was able to walk easily in them (so exciting). I now have one pair of heels! Of course, my multicolor Sketchers are my favorite shoes & I’m so glad I bought 2 pairs (photos won’t load again). Melody

I have so much catching up to do here!

First, it snowed on Sunday and today it is 86. I kid you not. This weather is crazy, isn't it? We are starting to green up. Melody, I am looking at the grass in the picture, and wonder if that has to do with draught? I was trying to remember, but I seem to recall you mentioning it was very dry there this year.

Anita is correct, my dress is different. Mine is more sheath like with a subtle a-line, and the lace is different. But isn't it funny to see how close the are overall? I really loved wearing that dress, and look forward to wearing it again. I wasn't sure how the color would work, but it's a bit softer, I think, than your daughter's dress, Melody. It reminds me more of a dark butter color than a strong yellow. I'm probably not describing that the best, lol.

That brings me to the dresses I was planning to post pictures of. Between two orders, I had 6 dresses come in. The only one I kept was the yellow one.

Purple dress is a great color, but the rhinestones on the sleeve are clearly set in silver, and it was cooling off the dress. It's good to keep in mind that I don't have any silver sandals or jewelry (just wedding rings) and it would not look right with gold. I tried it just to make sure, but it looked and felt mismatched.

The knit dress - that adobe type color is so pretty, and the fabric is beautiful. There is A LOT of dress. An extra panel is on each side, and when I was looking to see what could be done with it, I realized that removing the panels would make it too fitted, but just having a sliver of the panel would not be ideal for the dress. I also contemplated those little sleeve things after the cold shoulder, and didn't think it was the right place for me to add fabric to my body. It has a bit of a scoop to the neckline but not a lot so the sleeves created a continuous flow of fabric at the fullest part of the bustline.

I already mentioned the black/gold one the other day.

The floral had a similar issue as the purple. That beads at the neckline are very noticeable, and putting that silver (it has a blackish look to it) right next to my face didn't work well. Once again, it wouldn't work with gold sandals or jewelry. This was a huge disappointment. I ordered it thinking the style and color of the fabric wouldn't be good, and they were. So much so, I just loved this dress, and stared at it for quite a while, thinking if I could fix that somehow? But I don't see a way to do that, and it was expensive, even when on sale and getting an additional 25% off. I'm so sad to return it.

The last dress was a short version of the floral dress, in peach. Same designer - Calvin Klein. A bit different in the neckline - it was fabric and covered with ivory pearls. Fit and flare doesn't work for me well, but a-line does. This was just an off fit, and it made it into a fit and flair almost. The sides didn't drape the way I thought. Maybe it just wasn't cut right?

I guess I'm kind of picky, but it shows why I order a lot of things. I knew I was ordering a lot of things, but I also knew most would go back. I ended up loving one of the dresses that I really didn't think would work at all. So it's all good!

Margaret, I'm glad to hear that kitty has something that can be treated. My 17 year old cat has had some issues, and the vet said her blood work indicates a thyroid issue. We are going to start her on medicine and see how she does. I noticed she hasn't bee eating the best, and she's always had a sensitive stomach. I got her some soft food, and she just ate it up. I'm thinking that if that is what makes kitty happy, that is what kitty is getting. :D

I'm trying to think if I've ever had anything other than socks made from bamboo? They didn't last as long as I would have liked, but they were incredibly soft and luxurious feeling.

I too have heard that there are many places were you don't exactly have well stocked restrooms like we are accustomed to in the U.S. Some areas don't exactly have restrooms at all. I have always kept a packet of kleenex with me when traveling. You never know!

Melody I love the prom pictures. (or was the ball?) It brings back a lot of memories of my daughters. It seemed like yesterday!

Your son is gong to camp in July in Boston. Please tell him that is where the best baseball team is, lol. :):) How long will he be there? I will only be there for the second time, but I'm sure Melody has a lot of information to offer you. The standout to me is that there was so much to see and do, and unlike where I live, you have the ability to explore the city on foot with lots of things to keep your interest.

Good eye Laurie, we are in a drought, we’ve lost the back & front yards & wont replace grass this year. Might xeriscape the front.

Anita, where in Boston area is the summer camp? I’m assuming it might be musical & the best known camp us at Tanglewood which is in the western part of MA(actually closer to Upstate NY). Melody

Laurie,

It seems like you have a good eye for how to tweak an outfit to make it work and when that isn't possible. I don't have that gift, but do notice most things don't fit well off the rack. I had an a-ha moment many years ago when I started noticing the binder clips or other methods of gathering fabric on the backs of mannequins at stores and realized part of why outfits don't look quite right. Being 5'4" with curves and many clothes being designed for 5'8 and straight might be part of it too;)

I noticed what you meant about jewelry and certain colors on my daughter's formal dress. Between the light sequins throughout and the color of the dress, it was hard to find something that worked. She has some nice sapphire studs and used my silver Celtic cross necklace. I was a little worried the necklace would be too delicate looking, but it really suited her and the dress.

Just a quick note for now...I need to get busy today getting ready for Rebellion.

DS will be right in the thick of it in Boston at the Boston Conservatory. He'll get to see the city while he's there as the camp visits many local cultural things (like the art museum) to get inspiration. It's going to be very special for him. There's no way that I could just hang out in Boston for two weeks, as fun as that sounds...so we need to work out the logistics of getting him to and from Boston. Thinking that we might turn either the drop off or the pick up into a fun Boston weekend for the whole family.

Anita, he’ll have so much fun at the Conservatory, right in the heart of downtown Boston. Plan your weekend for the pickup. That way he can take you to his favorite spots from the camp. He can be your tour guide! Boston is a great walking city. Don’t misses are Freedom Trail (plan on several hours). Little Italy, Modern Pastry (across street from Mikes Pastry). Faneuil Hall (Freedom Trail ends there) new Cheers is there, great people watching. It’s expensive to stay in downtown Boston, but you wouldn’t need a rental car (parking garages are insane). If you drive in I’d recommend staying out around Lexington/Concord area (Woburn has great hotels at good prices) & take the train (from Woburn) in town. Melody

A lot of JJill clothing used to be bamboo so I have quite a few items and they hold up well and are so soft .I have my list made for Cuba now I am trying to figure out how much money to exchange since you lose on the exchange .It is weird going to a place where you can not use credit cards so I have to figure out exactly how much I will be spending in port . We are buying some cigars for the sons in law and a bottle of rum for us . We are going on a private tour that we have to pay for in Cuban money and then We want to hit a few of Hemingway's hangouts and maybe have a light lunch .I am a little leery of eating in Cuba . Key West we are just taking the hop on hop off trolley since We have been there several times.

Laurie , Do you also get free return shipping for all these dresses or do you return them to the store ?

Margaret , I also occasionally weed out my shoes especially sandals since I wear them almost all year .

Melody , Cute picture of your GS

Anita, what a great experience for your DS, he must be very excited. If Boston is anything like NY in the summer, there will be free music events every week. http://bostononbudget.com/

Sally, I wear out the support in my shoes long before they look ratty, so they tend to linger and get pushed to the back. It's good to purge at the beginning of the season when there is more variety in my size.