All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

We didn't consider staying in Seattle. The thought never even crossed my mind. Our planning was so odd. After I put a hold on the stateroom, DH and dug through his loyalty rewards to see if we had enough miles and points to help us be able to pay for airfare and then a hotel. When both of those worked out, we just booked out everything.

Now that I've done this...I would say that another influence would be the hotel situation. Mom and Dad had a very reasonable hotel rate when they went through Vancouver previously...but the rates for June are outrageously higher. There's a season there, but I don't know what it is. If we were having to pay OOP for our hotel, the going rate is around $450 ($570 CAD) a night. Now this is to be downtown, so I guess that would play into your planning too, if you were more open to staying elsewhere. When are you going again? Can you see hotel rates?

Anita, Sep 2019. Rates for this September start at $450CAD for a downtown property & flights look about $800 more (this year anyway) into Vancouver rather then Seattle. Even tho I dislike Frontier intensely, they have just started a nonstop flight to Seattle from Colorado Springs (right now it’s $99pp)... we’ll likely fly into Seattle, spend one/two nights & take the train to Vancouver & spend one night in Vancouver. Still lots of time to think

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I mostly lurk here, but I thought I should comment since I have similar feet:) . Slip on shoes are often difficult for me, but with a true sneaker/running shoe you can do a process called "lace locking" that helps with the loose ankle. I don't know if I can describe it well, but a running store could show you if this doesn't make sense:

When you lace your shoes instead of stopping at the next to the last hole with the lace "out" for tying, go to the last hole with the lace "in" the shoe. Extend the laces a bit between the last two holes then feed the end of the laces through the opposing loop. You can now do a sawing motion to tighten the laces to keep the ankle tighter.

Hope that helps:)

First, join in at any time - no need to lurk!

Thank you for that information. Anita and Melody have mentioned this as well, and I really need to give it a try. I think it would help me, as an athletic shoe is where most of my pain comes from. I did get a wide width sneaker more recently, and it has helped quite a bit. I have been thinking of getting a second pair that are more ideal for movement. My new ones have a pretty stiff, heavy base and I think I could use some flexibility and some of the features I have found researching. Anita provided some great information too.

My sandals have worked out well. After having a major issue last year, I purchased new sandals early last summer. The walking sandal is perfect. It adjusts across the toes, around the ankle and across the foot closer to the ankle. So I can make them fit perfect, so to speak. There is some cushion in the sole, and a suede like base that doesn't irritate my foot. I also have the slide on version which works well too.

Now, to find good, business like work shoes!

Flying out of the Springs would be so much nicer than out of DIA! You do have plenty of time to plan it all for sure.

I second Laurie's comment, pacruise, feel free to join our conversation! I think we're a friendly bunch...

I picked out a highlight for our Vancouver stay! We're going to attend a show at Bard on the Beach. I'm very excited for this! It's Vancouver's annual Shakespeare festival thing...but the show we are seeing looks to be an adaptation of the As You Like It storyline. It's set in the 1960s and the production features something like 20 different Beatles tunes. I think our whole group will really enjoy the production. It's a casual thing to do as well...taking place in a tent amphitheater that is constructed every year for the purposes of the festival. They even advise dressing warmly as it can get pretty cool after the sun goes down.

Can't believe we are about 7 weeks away now!

Since I had a 25% off coupon, I decided to order those dresses, plus one other. Like usual, I aim for sales, coupons, Ebates, free shipping. I ended up getting good deals. I also knew that I would not be keeping 4 dresses unless they were really great.

I can try and get some pictures tomorrow to share, but here is some general info:

black/gold: It really doesn't look brown in person. It looks black with a lot of gold on top but the black shows through. To start with, I didn't like it right when I saw it. But I try things on, and ask myself questions for learning purposes. First, it reminded me why I never wear black. ;p Second, I need to break up the expanse across my shoulders. It can be a v neck, it can be a neckline that shows my shoulders while covering the next area. But it has to be broken up. Strapless clothing does nothing for me. This dress here simply covered the whole area, with no real scoop in the neckline, so it wasn't that flattering.

The bottom where the flounce is located is stiff. It was kind of "meh". I would try the style again in a different fabric that was softer in some way. The fabric of that dress is brocade, more or less, and heavy.

All that being said, it would be a great dress for someone else, just not me.

The salmon colored dress: The fabric color and quality is everything I was looking for. Just beautiful. But the dress is very much a swing dress, so a lot of fabric. I want to try it on again and look at a picture of myself in it to decide. With the discount, it was $26.25. I know I would like it more if it wasn't so full, but that doesn't mean I don't like it now. I tried it on in a hurry, so I need to see it with fresh eyes. I also have to decide if the short sleeve is offset by the cold shoulder.

I can take it in, but because of the jersey, I would take it to my tailor because I don't have a serger. So I would factor that in to the cost of the dress.

But that color was just wonderful and earthy.

The peach floral, full length: Sigh. First, I was thinking it was more fire than it would be earth, but I'm not so sure now. There is some soft brown in the fabric, and the peach seems muted to me. Very beautiful. The fit is what I look for: semi fitted, or follows the body shape. It is not big and loose, but it is not fitted either. I can't wait to see it on with sandals to get the overlook and feel of the dress.

Is there a down side? Yes. Who takes a beautiful, warm dress like that and puts silver on the neckline? The first thing my husband said is "why isn't that gold? It should be gold." My thought isn't just gold, but a satin finish gold. The silver isn't shiny. I will have to see if I can get over that, because I don't wear silver jewelry, other than my wedding rings and Pandora bracelets. I actually don't wear the Pandora bracelets a lot, other than weekends because they are pretty heavy. But I'm sure you all know what I am getting at.

The last dress I didn't post a picture of. I'm looking to fill a void I have - when I need a cocktail style dress for when it is a bit cooler. I coudln't decide if this was a warm purple, but now that it has come in, I think it is. and the looseness of the dress is just enough to give me a little room if I happen to be at a business or charity function, yet still look good.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/msk-embellished-cutout-shift-dress?ID=5891446

I don't know about you guys, but there are times when I struggle a bit with purple and red. I will think I'm looking at an earth color, only to look at it a few minutes later and think I'm wrong. I think it is because those colors can be hard to mute. I have found some great ones over time, but they are hard to come by.

I've been thinking about muted and what it means in terms of earth colors.

Anita, your plans for Vancouver sound so perfect for you! I'd be very excited if I were in your shoes too. That sounds like so much fun. The nice thing is, you will have cool weather clothing with you already. When in June are you going? It sounds like your trip is a week or two after my weekend in Boston.

I have a big day coming up Saturday. A proud one. A little story for you all...

My older daughter has a lot of anxiety issues. She struggled going to college, and left school to go to work. She tried going back a few times, but was struggling. She got a job at Eddie Bauer, and worked her way up to assistant manager. She often mentioned that she enjoyed her job, but really wanted to be in a different field.

She decided to continue working full time as an assistant manger while going to school full time when she figured out through a fair at the college what she wanted to do. She has given up her summers for school as well, and Saturday she graduates with honors! She takes her certification test for occupational therapy in June, but she has already been called for an interview because of her great reviews in her field work.

So, I'm a very proud mama...anxiety is not easy to overcome, and it's not easy to take steps like this on your own.

Our flight from North Carolina is on June 20, but it's so early in the morning, we're staying in an airport hotel on June 19. So, technically, we leave home on June 19. We're staying in Vancouver for two nights. June 20 and 21. We board the Millennium on June 22!

Congratulations to your daughter! Wonderful news!!

When are you going to Boston?

Laurie, congratulations to your daughter! What a wonderful achievement!

June 9 for Laurie to Boston

June for Sally to Cuba

June 19 for Anita for Alaska

August 29 for me to Boston — we did buy airline tickets so we’re not driving out, but we did book a Red Sox Astro’s game!

Margaret, how is Danica doing? Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congratulations Laurie on your daughter's achievement !

I am leaving June 2 to Cuba . I have been in rehab for several months to get me back into shape after that awful flu and I finish the end of May so this is a celebration . Rehab has given me my life back . It is two and a half hours of exercise and the days when I do not go I hit the treadmill and lift weights .

First, join in at any time - no need to lurk!

Thank you for that information. Anita and Melody have mentioned this as well, and I really need to give it a try. I think it would help me, as an athletic shoe is where most of my pain comes from. I did get a wide width sneaker more recently, and it has helped quite a bit. I have been thinking of getting a second pair that are more ideal for movement. My new ones have a pretty stiff, heavy base and I think I could use some flexibility and some of the features I have found researching. Anita provided some great information too.

My sandals have worked out well. After having a major issue last year, I purchased new sandals early last summer. The walking sandal is perfect. It adjusts across the toes, around the ankle and across the foot closer to the ankle. So I can make them fit perfect, so to speak. There is some cushion in the sole, and a suede like base that doesn't irritate my foot. I also have the slide on version which works well too.

Now, to find good, business like work shoes!

Thanks for the warm welcome:) I'm in my mid 40's and feel like I am just starting to understand my fashion a little bit and not sure how much I have to offer - not that that always stops me in other areas;)

I found a big difference on shoe fit and comfort when I started going to a local running store. They not only properly sized me, but evaluated how I walk and what type of support I need. An orthopedic doctor recommended them when I went for plantar fasciitis pain. I was wearing what I thought were a good pair of athletic shoes, but they suspected the shoes contributed to my issues (and were probably right since the I got relief with the proper shoe). I also use aetrex insoles that help.

Your sandals sound similar to ones I found before my last cruise - I love how they have the double adjustment but are a little dressier than slides.

Thanks for the warm welcome:) I'm in my mid 40's and feel like I am just starting to understand my fashion a little bit

I could have authored this!

I don't know how long you've been lurking but this continues to be a part of our conversation. We've talked about many different theories for defining style...I can't remember all the names, but the Type 1, 2, 3 and 4...the book Style Statement...I can't remember the whole Natural, Gamine, Classic, Romantic...etc etc. We've also discussed different color theory systems...

We took DH into Fleet Foot, I think...and they had a way to make a 3D image of his feet! It accurately measured the length and width and you could clearly see his arch and everything, all of which was measured so that there was no guessing game about what kind of shoes might be helpful for his particular feet. Pretty amazing stuff.

So much summer travel!

We are still waiting to hear from one summer program for DS. That'll add one more destination for us in July.

Next weekend we're headed to a local weekend Metal fest! OMG...camping onsite. The guys did it as a father-son trip last year. This year, I'm tagging along and so are some of DS' friends. Should be a crazy weekend.

Anita, some ideas to research.

Stanley Park with its aquarium, the various totem poles

Queen Elizabeth Park (arboretum )

Museum of Anthropology at the University ( lots of native or First Nations Art)

Grouse Mountain, gondola up and down fantastic views if sunny

Steveston ( Richmond) where the airport is-- historic fish cannery, a touristy area to walk about

Lynn Canyon has a suspension bridge but not as scary as Capilano Bridge

Tons of Chinese and Japanese food places ( high Asian population)

Robson Street for high end shopping

Vancouver Art Gallery

The diner used for the show Riverdale is in Mission, which is a town about an hours drive east of Vanc.

We are known as Hollywood North as lots of movies shot here and in the Valley ( latest Ryan Reynolds movie)

Just a bit of help I hope

I could have authored this!

I don't know how long you've been lurking but this continues to be a part of our conversation. We've talked about many different theories for defining style...I can't remember all the names, but the Type 1, 2, 3 and 4...the book Style Statement...I can't remember the whole Natural, Gamine, Classic, Romantic...etc etc. We've also discussed different color theory systems...

We took DH into Fleet Foot, I think...and they had a way to make a 3D image of his feet! It accurately measured the length and width and you could clearly see his arch and everything, all of which was measured so that there was no guessing game about what kind of shoes might be helpful for his particular feet. Pretty amazing stuff.

So much summer travel!

We are still waiting to hear from one summer program for DS. That'll add one more destination for us in July.

Next weekend we're headed to a local weekend Metal fest! OMG...camping onsite. The guys did it as a father-son trip last year. This year, I'm tagging along and so are some of DS' friends. Should be a crazy weekend.

Have a great time! We've done Creation NorthEast a few times several years ago. Primitive camping Tuesday evening-Saturday evening. Lots of fun, but crazy weather some years:') . Hoping your weather is good:cool:

Pacruise...are you going this year? That's when we'll be on our cruise but this year's lineup looks great! I LOVE Toby Mac! He was DS' first concert back in the day. He was touring with Skillet. Great show! I also like Jeremy Camp and some of Mandisa. Haven't listened to Disciple in a while but we used to...

I'm hoping for no rain of course but we'll be prepared either way. We have primitive camping in that there's no electric or water at the sites. But the car is right there so...

Pacruise...are you going this year? That's when we'll be on our cruise but this year's lineup looks great! I LOVE Toby Mac! He was DS' first concert back in the day. He was touring with Skillet. Great show! I also like Jeremy Camp and some of Mandisa. Haven't listened to Disciple in a while but we used to...

I'm hoping for no rain of course but we'll be prepared either way. We have primitive camping in that there's no electric or water at the sites. But the car is right there so...

Our kids are involved in a quizzing competition that overlaps Creation, so it's out of the plans for a few more years. Toby Mac and Skillet both put on great shows. Jeremy Camp was just at our church, but it was the same night as Newsboys United so we opted for seeing Peter Furler - amazing concert.

Hoping our son will be able to go once he hits college or the quizzing schedule will adapt and timing will work. I think he'd really enjoy it:) . For now though, we are just blessed with too many good choices:halo::')

Have a great weekend everyone!

Anita (love your screen name) - if you haven't checked them out you might like Thousand Foot Crutch too. Somewhat a cross between Toby Mac and Skillet for dance beat but edgier rock/metal flavor too.

Wow, lots of EARTH travel in June!

It looks like Africa is now on the schedule for January 2020. It all depends on getting the plane tickets, which will be my #1 priority next year. I spent a whole day at the computer and got us free 1st class to China in 2009, so I'm sure I'm up for the task! Smaller learning curve this time.

DH has to go to Tel Aviv in September, so the current plan is for me to tag along and instead of doing non-stop we'll connect in either Paris or London and spend a week having fun. That will be our big trip for this year. Next year we are talking about heading to the Atacama desert in Chile for the total eclipse and then spend some time in Santiago. It would include touring some of the large observatories there, which might be fun. It is one of the best places on the planet for observation because there is so little moisture in the air.

Kitty update: Dani took a turn for the worse early yesterday so they took her off all the meds. Today she was better so they did the surgical biopsies. If she's healed enough she's coming home on Monday. It will take 5 days to get the results. Difficult waiting but what can I do.

Melody, awwwwwww such a cutie!

Laurie, forgot to say congrats to your daughter! You must be so proud.

Sally, sounds like you've really been working out! This one has to be it... Cuba or bust. I wanna see a picture of you in that classic car. :)

Margaret...DS has a friend that is originally from Peru...or his family is...or something...he goes back there during the summers sometimes. Anyway, DS was talking about that friend, another friend, and himself going to Peru to see the eclipse. I can't recall if Peru is getting a total eclipse or not? Like, what the time is for that... That would be so fun for you! Your September plans sound amazing. Looking forward to hearing about that! Would love to hear about how you get those tickets!

I'm so sorry about Miss Dani. I do hope that she gets better. I hope all will be well and that she can come home and recover.

Beautiful new life Melody!

PA...I haven't checked out Thousand Foot Crutch but I will!

DS' passport came today! Wasn't worried that it would't get here in time...just nice to have it though.

Peru is only going to be about 20% partial. The only SA countries in the path of totality are Chile and Argentina. Where in Peru is your son's friend from? We went to Guayaquil, Cusco, Machu Picchu, and the Urubamba valley. Cusco is at 11,000 feet so if he is traveling into the mountains, he needs to build in time to acclimate. It is a wonderful country and the people were so nice.

Getting award travel from NYC is very competitive. I basically searched every American gateway city (and a few in Canada) until I found two award tickets on the same plane to Shanghai, figuring we could fly domestic in coach to that location to get the long haul leg in first class. We ended up leaving from Atlanta via LaGuardia. They had to hunt down luggage tags to Shanghai because it was such an unusual route. :)

Welcome pacruise, join the party. Don't worry about figuring it out... it's a process, and in my case as soon as I think I have it figured out, I learn something new and reassess everything all over again. :) It's part of the fun.

Margaret...when you say award travel...is that a benefit through a credit card? Is that from the Platinum Amex?

All that Peru travel was just talk...they were friends back in GA. DS still talks with them. They are all gamers and they get online together still and play. It's rather entertaining to hear the conversation one-sided as DS is wearing headphones with a mic and they are all obviously talking. I don't think they have talked about going to Peru with any seriousness. But DS' friends don't seem to think long term...so...IDK...but I think it's fairly safe to say that Peru is not going to happen next year. LOL.