All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Thanks, Anita - we are excited for her.  Daughter has been accepted, but still has a visit in January for their Honors College.

I like the long gap this year too.  It's helping me to focus on Thanksgiving and being thankful, rather than all.about.Dec.25th! (I love Christmas too, but want to enjoy fall for the short time it's here).

I haven't had anything red for a while. I'm thinking of this to wear for NYE with some skinny pants and heels. The only problem is that it looks deep red in the catalog, but kind of pinkish on the website.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shirts-and-blouses/long-sleeve-and-3%2F4-sleeve/velvet-big-shirt/16266.html

Also this is pretty. Not for the holidays, just pretty.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/shirts-and-blouses/long-sleeve-and-3%2F4-sleeve/so-in-love-embroidered-tunic/15151.html

And this, yum. Since it has spandex, I probably wouldn't like it on, but it is right up my alley.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/dresses/beautiful-occasions/scrolled-velvet-knit-dress/13481.html

Margaret, I tried on a velvet shirt at Soft Surroundings last weekend, I was going to order the cobalt blue (shocker I know) from the catalog but tried on the navy at the store. Glad I didn’t order it, I felt sloppy in it, basically a mans shirt in velvet, no form to it. I was quite disappointed. I did try on a fuzzy pullover that was sooo soft & warm. Granddaughter said I looked like Fozzy Bear, so that went back on the rack. Love shopping with my girls 🙄

Well, I still miss the Cruise Critic app!  I'm getting used to the new site on my computer though.  I just don't feel the all white screen is ideal, or a step forward.

Margaret, I was checking out those items at Coldwater Creek.  It gets very cold here, and I often find myself wearing warm fuzzy things inside the house.  Things that are soft make me really feel good too.  One thing about winter - it makes me realize how much I appreciate having a home I love, and a great family.  You don't always need to be out and about.

As you can can tell from the time of my post, I"m home today.  I'm actually on vacation until mid next week, and it feels really, really good.  I'm going to call and see if I can get a haircut today, but I really didn't plan anything for today.  I'm feeling a bit indulgent, in a way...I'm just checking out the internet, playing with the dogs, etc.

Margaret, if that shirt turns out to be big and boxy, a lot of times you can just get a smaller size.  I have found that to be a good option for myself when I like something but don't want it to be oversized, if that is the way it turns out for you.  Or maybe that is what you want - something to lounge in.  I guess I'm definitely feeling indulgent today, lol!  Do I even go out for the haircut???

You got your weather Thursday, we got it overnight going into early Friday.  We had about 13 inches of snow here.  Because of the timing, I was very, very disappointed that the roads weren't better.  Imagine, driving down a busy two lane street, the right lane hasn't been plowed yet, and the snow from the left lane was pushed over to the right....yup.  When people were turning off of the side roads, they were getting stuck.  Bt a lot of it is gone now.  It has been snowing off and on for a few days, but nothing to accumulate. 

For those of you who have gone to wedding showers, we could use some ideas.  I know the MOB isn't supposed to give a shower, and that usually falls on the MOH and or other family members.  Many times lately, I have seen the big shower thing broken down into smaller groups for each side of the family, friends, etc.  I know too that everyone who is invited the shower must be invited to the wedding but not the other way around. 

There are two MOHs.  My younger daughter, who is working full time, taking classes as well, and has student loans.  Then there is her friend, a recent bride herself.  They don't have a lot spare.  I was thinking that if I help, no one will know?  But we are looking for simple.  I was going to have us make a bunch of salads, then order a meat tray with rolls?  Does that sound too simple?  We think it will be fun to do.  Decorate with some mason jars with flowers, and maybe add something rustic to tie in to the wedding...a dessert.  The usual fun games.(!?!?).  We just need to figure out where.  If we have anyone volunteer to host, that would be so great.   My house is really nice, but the rooms are cut off a bit, and I have two small dogs that don't always do well with crowds.

I know we will figure it out and we have time.  I was just looking to see if our idea makes sense with the salads and sandwiches. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with helping with the shower - and I'm guessing many MOB's do. 

Simple sounds wonderful to me, both from what I remember as being a bride and what I can imagine if my daughter gets married.

Do you have enough people to consider renting out a room at a fire/social hall, or if you have a large church (ours rents one of our gyms for birthday parties)?

My daughter has been so appreciative of everything that we are doing, and she has no expectations from us. I am thinking that if someone offers their home, and it is large enough, great.  If not, we are aiming for some sort of local hall.  I honestly think that the meat trays and salads would be fun for all of us. It will also be easy too, since one of the MOHs is a teacher, and she doesn't have a lot of time to fuss and all.  If we choose a Sunday, I can make up the salads between the day before and the morning of.  It really doesn't need to be complicated at all.

I went to a baby shower once where there was a smallish room in a local place.  They skipped the games  - it was a small room, and everyone, including the guys were invited.  We had pizza, soda, wings, cake.  It was so much fun!  Everyone was talking and catching up, watch the mom to be open her gifts, etc. 

Another thing too is that there is only so much in the budget for everyone involved, and we all feel the wedding is the most important.  My daughter wouldn't even blink if we didn't have a shower, but I know we can.  We are just going small scale with it.

My daughter and her fiance are making this little backdrop that is like an arbor.  They have wood letters to spell out their last name with lights on the letters.  It is rustic looking, like the overall wedding theme.  They plan to use this as a selfie station as opposed to the usual wedding booth.  They found an inexpensive blackboard on an easel and they are going to label to indicate it is a selfie station, and list the twitter hashtag to send the photos to.  I think that sounds perfect.  The letters can set on their mantle afterwards, and the arbor can be used in their yard. 

I am contemplating a Christmas gift of an Instax camera with film and a wedding scrapbook.  The guests can use the hashtag, and also use the camera for instant pictures - one for them, one for the album.   I'll have to think about that a bit!  Also though, I don't want to step on their toes so I might very vaguely ask them if for Christmas, if they like the idea of me enhancing the selfie station?  That sounded weird, lol.

I'm talking way too much about the wedding!  I just enjoy talking with all of you, and I always get good feedback and ideas from you.

Do you all find that your feelings towards the holidays change as you get older?  For me, I love all the cooking and food, but my focus tends to be on making things special. I really don't do a ton of shopping anymore.  We have some great traditions and just focus on enjoying our time together.  WE have my side of the family over on Christmas day, and we bypass the gifts entirely.  We just talk, laugh and eat!

• Like 1

When my daughter got married her best friends threw the shower but I knew they did not have a lot of money so I chipped in a lot . It was a lovely shower .

The sandwiches and salads sound perfect just add a dip and desert .The holidays change as your kids grow up and move away or get so busy with their families . We do a huge Christmas Eve party with all of Gary's family . It is fun .I do a lot of shopping between the 8 grandchildren and a few other family members .Most I do online .

On 11/19/2018 at 9:16 AM, pacruise804 said:

great college visit over the weekend.  It confirmed the first choice for daughter and helped us adjust to the distance (9 hr trip vs. 4 - 4.5 for the other school on our list).

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone (and great Thursday/Weekend for those not in the US 😉 )

Congratulations to your daughter . I remember how important college picking was .

Happy Post Thanksgiving!

My big Black Friday purchase was a sweetheart cruise for DH and I. I took advantage of the deal on Royal, which I understand isn't the best deal (it's been an ongoing deal to have BOGO60) BUT with the extra $300 instant savings was a pretty good deal...especially since I got what I think is a sweet cabin. I'm trying to be more deliberate in all my purchases...I looked at Celebrity with the $25 deposits and there was nothing that sparked that little something to be excited. I was looking at Infinity (the one M-class we haven't been on...just for that reason) and also S-class, which we haven't been on. On Infinity, I was hoping for an Aqua class...any stateroom on S-class. The deals weren't there though.

On to Royal...I decided that going on an Oasis class would be special as DH never has and my hopes would be that we could do more dining in the specialty restaurants because we have not been enjoying the MDR in our latest cruises at all. The sweet spot in pricing seemed to be end of Jan/early Feb 2020. Remembering the deal with the lack of ocean views from Oasis class...I was checking out all the options...DH requested midship though...and so the best deal squarely landed on a Central Park Balcony. I got one of the rooms that has a double wide balcony. The con is that it is next to a service area...I've read about the possible noise issues, but have determined that it shouldn't affect our normal sleeping hours. We'll see.

So anyway...we'll be on a ship for Valentine's Day 2020! Woot woot! And we'll be DRIVING to the port!!! I'm excited to sail on Harmony of the Seas. I need a new countdown...

We have a new goal now for health and fitness. I think DH and I do better if we have a goal date. I've been reading a bit about that and it's not unusual. When you have an end date for something, you are more motivated to get things done than if you have the ability to do it "whenever." It was effective for my 40th birthday so...here we go again... I'm hoping though...that with life settling down in Orlando, I can avoid being derailed with my goals. I was doing great when we moved to Georgia...but Georgia wasn't a good place for me overall and so I had problems and feel into old habits. I'm just getting more and more excited about Orlando though...

We're finally moving to a major employment center for DH. Even if his this new position he is getting somehow goes south, there will be an amazing amount of opportunity in and around Orlando so even if his position changes, we shouldn't have to move again unless we choice to move. With DS in college and no need to relocate to get him in a better schooling situation...things feel way more settled.

Anyway...I'm excited! I love having a vacation planned on the horizon.

We had a huge feast for Thanksgiving. With the uncertainly of DS' future location, we aren't entirely sure that he would be able to be home for Thanksgiving. So, not to be morbid, this could have been the last Thanksgiving for the three of us for at least 4 years...and in the future...perhaps DS will have a friend come home with him...so. I cooked my little heart out...homemade EVERYTHING...cranberry sauce, 4-bean salad, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted Brussel sprouts, pull apart rolls, pecan pie and pumpkin pie. OMG. The good news is that after all that cooking...not too much cooking going on now! Nothing like deciding to cook the whole 5-pound of potatoes to make the mash...for 3 people. Thinking a cowboy pie is in our future...I have some ground beef in the freezer...and that's an excellent use of leftover potato mash.

• Like 1

Anita , Glad you have a cruise on the horizon . I looked at cruises but I did not look into 2020 .I have two cruises I am interested in but I am trying to nab a last minute deal . We went out for Thanksgiving with friends but I am cooking a turkey tomorrow because we love the left overs ..

I have 3 cruises on the books now. Our Hawaii in September 2019 & MardiGras b2b in Feb-Mar 2020. Our oldest grandson graduates from college (gasp) in May & he’s just been selected Phi Beta Kappa & summa cum laude. We’re justifiable proud of him. He started his student teaching (in physics) just before Halloween. The teacher he was working under decided to retire at semester break (unexpectedly) & recommended Andrew as his replacement (& he hadn’t even graduated yet). He’ll be there till end of May (at least) but will still interview trying to get down to the Colorado Springs area. Best part is he’ll be paid (that thrilled him)

hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Melody 

• Like 1

I cooked yesterday, and we will probably have enough turkey and stuffing for tomorrow. Then we have three nights where we won't be eating together, so it works out very well. DH is very busy with end of year work, and I have my last week of classes this week. Even though it seems I have some free time ahead, I have at least one thing booked for every day until we leave for my sister's for Christmas. Yikes.

I don't have a cruise on the books. :classic_sad: It's been a year since our wonderful Mexico cruise, and after Africa it will be 22 months until our next vacation if we go to Patagonia, which is looking more likely. Something will have to go in between those two, don't you think? Since we paid for Africa in 2018, we'll have some vacation money for 2019, and I think an easy cruise that doesn't take much planning might be it.

Anita, so excited for you, a Valentine's cruise! How lovely.

Melody, it seems like your grandson just graduated high school! How did that go so fast?

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Our oldest grandson graduates from college (gasp) in May & he’s just been selected Phi Beta Kappa & summa cum laude. We’re justifiable proud of him. He started his student teaching (in physics) just before Halloween. The teacher he was working under decided to retire at semester break (unexpectedly) & recommended Andrew as his replacement (& he hadn’t even graduated yet). He’ll be there till end of May (at least) but will still interview trying to get down to the Colorado Springs area. Best part is he’ll be paid (that thrilled him)

Congratulations to  your grandson !

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Congratulations, Melody!

Thanksgiving was very nice for us, and much quieter than usual.  There was only 3 of us, and I can't remember the last time I cooked a Thanksgiving meal for that few people!  But because I knew I was going to have a few people here yesterday, I cooked with the leftovers in mind.

The way we do things traditionally, we decorate and put up our trees on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  We always cook the leftovers for that day.  So in addition to the three of us that live here now, my daughter and her fiancé were here also yesterday. 

I have ordered a few things online between Friday and today.  I really don't know what to buy this year.  I think it is because as your kids get older, they are more particular.  I tend to lean towards entertainment options.  For example, one of my daughters LOVES hockey.  Syracuse Crunch, in particular.  She goes to quite a few games each year.  They have a Black Friday deal where you the usual flex package of 10 tickets is now 14 tickets for the same price.  It is a decent deal for 10 tickets, and even better for 14.  So that was an easy choice.  I will get her a few things to go with that, such as a Movie Tavern gift card, Dunkin Donuts, that sort of thing.

I'm getting her things she can get use out of, but the hockey tickets in particular feel like a gift, like something personal.  I'm thinking of doing something similar with my other daughter.  She recently told me that she was planning on something for the wedding but decided not to do, because it wasn't in the budget and she felt her money would be best spent elsewhere.  But it wasn't super expensive, and using Black Friday deals, I am able to put it together for her as a gift. I'm sad though that they love watching the Crunch too, but Dashaun was going to buy the tickets himself.  However, like with Stephanie's wedding idea, he decided his money should be spent elsewhere.  If he had only told me before the sale was up!

And my husband wants car parts for his Dodge Challenger T/A.  The restoration is finally underway.  While car parts don't excite me and don't feel like a personal gift, they are what he really wants, so that is what I will do.

I have discovered some things about myself.  First, I am nostalgic.  I'm not stuck in the past at all, but  I love things that have a history or story behind them.  I have found that I like to add vintage or antique items to my décor a lot.  While decorating yesterday, I was often emotional.  I have this little picture frame ornament with a picture of my dad, and then my husband has a few ornaments that were his mom's.  I have this little metal ornament that is engraved that says "every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings".  So, I have to put those ornaments close together. 

When my daughter was little, her and I made ornaments from pine cones, and they are the most cherished ornaments I own.  She really quietly asked me yesterday if I would mind if she took two of them to put on her own tree.  I gladly obliged, and I was so emotional over that, in a good way.

• Like 2

Congratulations to your grandson Melody!

Margaret...I definitely think you might need a little getaway before Patagonia. Have you ever heard of the series Alone? They did a season down in Patagonia. So beautiful. I think going through Florida would be a good getaway...:classic_biggrin:

Laurie...you have some wonderful traditions. My guys aren't into the process of decorations much. They appreciate the atmosphere, but as to the actual decorating of a tree and what not...they aren't so enthusiastic for it. I wonder if it's because I am so enthusiastic that they have always just wanted to let me do it? It could just be them though. They are very content to just watch or even have it suddenly appear in the house. DH has helped me...but that is the thought...he helps me...not WE doing...

I really enjoyed the Gratitude Diaries. In it...there is a discussion about stuff versus experiences. By and large, experiences are something that generally provoke more gratitude than things. Things we experience have more impact than things we acquire. The tickets are a great idea and the wedding idea. The car parts may seem like an impersonal gift but if supports something that your DH is doing, then it isn't impersonal at all. In fact, I would argue that it is the opposite. 

We haven't done any decorating yet. I need to get our decorations out of the storage area downstairs. It's not a big deal but our loft is a bit of a mess right now...bringing in the Christmas decor feels like it would just be adding to the clutter right now. I took DH to the airport today...we were up at 4:20 am! He'll be back Thursday, so my goal is to have the place ready for decorating next weekend. Maybe do a little bit here and there on the outside. Our building is really nice...everyone's front door feels more like a townhouse front door than an apartment and people decorate their doors and their "stoop" area. I could do that for sure.

There was a class that I wanted to take this year. A particular training class. It was part of my 2018 goals. I'm happy to say that I'm signed up for it on December 15. So I'll have followed through with that, even if it literally took me all year. I'm in the process of writing a personal statement. A kind of goal setting but also recognition for who I am right now kind of thing. I'm hoping that it will function as a kind of guidance for the downsizing effort. I'll be able to evaluation our things by asking whether or not the things support and encourage my current mission/personal statement...or does it actually hold me back somehow. It's an interesting exercise.

You are right, Anita, about the gift choices.  What matters most is the recipient - if it is something they want or something that makes them happy, then I've accomplished what I set out to do.  I have to remind myself of that often. 

As to decorating, I would say it is something I love to do and enjoy very much.  My husband is very happy to help, but I do think it is clear that if I said I didn't want to decorate the whole house, he'd be just fine with that.  He enjoys it because I do.  Stephanie is just like me when it comes to decorating.  Alyssa is in between.  She enjoys it, but not to the level that me and Steph do.  For Dashaun, this was a whole new experience for him.  He was a great sport...we had Christmas music playing, and we have a mandatory toast with eggnog, and those Pepperidge Farm cookies. I have no idea how or why the specifics of the tradition started, but we enjoy it.

I think it is great that you are taking this class you have wanted to take.  I often talk about things like this, but I just don't get around to doing them.  My husband and I talk all the time about refreshing our swimming skills, and taking some snorkeling lessons after.  I hope someday to get myself a bit more focused on the things I want to do.

I am happy that you have a cruise to look forward to.  We firmed up dates and purchased tickets to go back to Boston next year.  We are going a bit later, due to my daughter's wedding, and we are not extending it to a full vacation due to the cost.  Hotels in Boston are pretty expensive, and with the wedding, and then our cruise in August, it made sense to go the route of a long weekend again.  We are excited - we love Boston, and we will be at the same hotel you were at recently.

We haven't made any other plans at this point, but I'm itching to schedule something for Florida or a short cruise from Florida this winter.  At this stage, I would want any trip we take to occur before mid April, since I think we will be dealing with wedding shower(s) and then RSVPs, etc.  I don't think it will happen at this point, but it's all good. 

I hear you on having a get away this winter. We'll be going to AZ to celebrate Christmas with Mom and Dad there. That'll be a bit like a getaway for us if AZ manages to hang onto it's typical glorious weather. The past few times I've been there, it's like I've brought a cold front with me and the weather is cooler than normal, so very hopeful that doesn't happen again. 

I'm also itching to have something planned for the early part of next year but I have to leave the schedule open for interview trips and possible college campus visits. DS is applying to a few schools that he hasn't visited personally. He has met faculty members through his school program or knows of them and their work and would like to study with them (composition and performance too is largely about finding your mentor...the person that you will study under for your undergraduate years even more than the school, etc). There was just no way that we could visit all the schools he is interested in so we bargained more along the lines of visiting schools that he is accepted to. Those visits will basically function as my "winter getaway". LOL

Boston is great. I wouldn't have minded having more time there. 

Oh! Zappos is having a pretty decent sale. I've been eyeing the classic Dr Martens for a while now, but they can be expensive. The ones I liked are on sale for 20% and for today only, sale items are an additional 10% if you are on their mailing list? I got an individual code in the mail. Plus the end of year loyalty coupon conversion of whatever points I had. I'm excited! Gonna have my boots here tomorrow I think! 

Isn't it great when you find what you are looking for, and get a good deal?

I am currently waiting for that Adrianna Papell dress to come in.  I actually ordered it right from her website, with free shipping and 15% off.  I was happy with that.  There were sales after I ordered, of course, but they didn't seem big enough to fuss over.  However, this is one of those Norton sites where if you get a better deal, you let them know and they will honor the price.  Problem is, I was busy yesterday and didn't get the chance!  Sometimes they extend sales, so I will double check.

I don't let myself get overly excited about purchases, mostly because I generally order knowing that I send back more than I keep.  That's okay - I try to keep an open mind when I order and I have had instances where something I didn't think I'd like turned out to be one of my best purchases.  I do have a lot of hope for this dress though.  I truly love it, for the wedding, future cruises and possibly other events that I attend.  I know the color is not an earth color.  From the pictures I have seen, at least, it appears to be what Curt once described as clear bright navy.  If so, it is a good fire color, and those will usually work well for me.  My daughter found a trendy version of trench coat in that color a while back, and she held on to it for a long time.  The color was great for her.  Often times, jersey comes off as a bit muted, so that may work for me.

So anyway, I am excited about my dress coming in like you are about your boots! 

I"m on vacation, by the way.  I try to take a few days off near Thanksgiving, and I shop and what not.  I go back tomorrow.

I just realized I didn't tell you what the wedding idea was for my daughter that she is getting for Christmas.  She and Dashaun are going to build an arbor, or buy an inexpensive one, and decorate it.  They have these wooden letters to spell out their last name that have lights on them, battery operated.  They are going to have the letters hang (we're going to hide a little wire to make sure they stay somewhat straight) right about where people stand.  They have created a selfie station, with a wedding hashtag.  Where the budget got cut was that they were going to have a polaroid or other instant camera (they are making a comeback!) and a book for people to add their selfies taken on the instant camera.  That is where the gift comes in.  I scouted a bunch of Black Friday deals online, and got her an Instax camera at one site.  I found a great deal on film at another site.  Then I ordered a custom book on Etsy.  All in all, I saved a lot of money, and she will be thrilled.  They are a fun couple, and I know that she will use this camera for other things as well.  The big issue was the film, so getting a great deal was important because that is where the big expense was.

Anita, do you find things to be very different when your husband is home with you on any given day?  I think you said he can work from home.  I am just thinking, because when my husband is working and I'm off, I'm doing this, doing that, so productive.  When he is home, I'm like....so, what do you want to do today?   It's kind of funny, actually.  I think in part it is because we both work full time, Monday through Friday with some extra hours.  He grabs the overtime when it is available because the money is handy.  So sometimes, it seems like we don't have a lot of time together.

Christmas for me this year was pretty easy. The Red Sox won the series, so ball caps, winter hats, sweatshirts. My grands will be happy & I'm done, just waiting for the last things to arrive now 😉

Trying to to decide if we’re going to go to Ft Myers in late winter. Les will be 70 in April & we’d planned on a quick, quiet cruise, but I’m having a tough time finding one he likes (that we’re not already taking in 2020!  First world problems. I think I’ll buy Red Sox tickets for when they’re in Denver & Kansas City & make a couple of weekends out of it. 

Our 49th wedding anniversary is Thursday, we gave each other a new furnace & central ac...not exciting but essential. 

I finished decorating. Melody 

32499411-540F-4EE3-991B-CC0335AE0952.jpeg

• Like 1

I used to decorate every inch or it seemed like that but now as I have gotten older I scaled way back . I gave a lot to my daughter and a lot to good will . I have basically just enough to make it feel a little holidayish . We buy a real tree so that will go up in a week or so .Almost all my ornaments are from traveling .I try to buy one each time we go somewhere new .

I did tons of shopping online and I got some good deals. I am still looking at trips for next year but nothing has popped out at me . We may do a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal or the reverse .I finished reading "Educated " . I thought it was a good book with some slow parts .I thought "Glass Castle " which is a similar book was better written.