All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Well I am back ! We had a great time . Weather was perfect . This time we booked a tour with "old car tours". We did a three hour tour . I made a list of things I wanted to see and we got to all of them. The guided added a few other interesting sights .After the tour we walked around part of Old Havana and had lunch at "Mojita Mojita" . Cute restaurant with musicians playing cuban music .I packed for this trip in a 19" carry on and since a lot people think it can not be done I wrote a list of what was in my suitcase .

.4 pair shorts

1 pair black pants

7 tops

3 dresses

2 pair shoes

1 sweater

small purse

jewelry

camera

undewear

2 pair of pajamas

And I was still able to add 2 souvenir t shirts .

I ended up not wearing one of the dresses and 1 top

Ok, I was finally able to get on the “new & improved (🙄) cruise critic. I intensely dislike this new format!  I can’t even see it on my phone & the data usage is crazy!  Be very careful. 

For Laurie, Go Red Sox!  4 more. Melody

563CA9F1-E108-471A-A5B5-881D9F7B24F7.jpeg

0BE36201-40A2-4718-BF52-8E4E3914F481.jpeg

I will try to post pictures this week . We went to the Cuban missile crisis museum . That is a small outdoor museum but so interesting . We also visited the National Hotel which is gorgeous .We toured the Hotel and then sat outside and had Mojito's .We also went to a local food market . That was an eye opener .Our guide's Father is an engineer and He gets paid 20 CUC a month which is equal to $20 .Cuba is so interesting especially if you grew up during the 50 & 60's . We toured in a blue and white Chevy with wings.

Welcome back Sally! I’d love to see photos. Sounds like you had another great trip.

I said I wasn’t going to go shopping BUT...DH and I went shopping today. I have completely gone through all my clothes and greatly reduced my wardrobe, which is to say that I got rid of the things I don’t really wear so that I can truly see what I need! My biggest lack is blouses. I had such fun shopping today because I felt I could more accurately evaluate whether or not a shirt would be a winner. Bought one blouse! And I love it. I think it’s me! 

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/style-co-floral-print-lace-peasant-top-created-for-macys?ID=6305334&CategoryID=255

Hard to see but there’s a bit of sparkle in the lace accent on the shoulders. 

Edited by Anita Latte

I don't know how we got on the subject, but at breakfast I was explaining to DH about how there are colors that are "in fashion" and described the Pantone system, and why it could be difficult to match a color that was "old." So, I pulled up the colors for Spring 2019 on my phone and showed him, but he couldn't read the names, so I did. I got to the last one, Brown Granite, and I couldn't make it out very well but eventually did. I told him that at first I thought it said Brown GRAVY, and he laughed so hard! Now every time we see something that color we go, look, Brown Gravy!

In any event, a reminder of what's to come for Spring 2019. I'm really liking the two greens!

https://www.pantone.com/color-intelligence/fashion-color-trend-report/fashion-color-trend-report-new-york-spring-summer-2019

Has anyone watched any of the show the Marvelous Mrs Maisel? The first colors on the Pantone remind me of some of the outfits I’ve seen her wear. 

The greens are nice. I’m hoping the neutral Soybean is more of a yellowish tan and not a pinky tan...and hopefully we can find some good brown staples with Brown Granite. 

Hello all!   Well this new format is...interesting.  I am finally getting notifications again, but I really miss the app.

I have so much catching up to do, and so much to talk about. 

First, to say I am excited about the Red Sox reaching the World Series is an underestimation.  We have religiously watched every playoff again, including the one that ended at 1:30, when I needed to get up at 5:45 the next day....

Secondly, you may recall that my daughter that my daughter had moved in with her boyfriend a little while back, and I was making her daughter into a spare room.  The room is now finished up, except for one detail.  I will be sharing pictures some time this week. I have just been so busy, and as I stated above, I have been following my Red Sox!

But the most exciting news is that she is now engaged.   Dashaun is a sweetheart, and he spoke with both my husband and I before asking her.  He decided to propose to her while they were at a pumpkin patch, owned by a close friend's family.  On the site, they have a barn for wedding receptions with a full kitchen, arbors, gazebo, etc.  And they want to get married soon - coming up in June.

So this is very exciting and fun, but also a bit stressful.  We have lots of planning to do, on a very limited budget.  The venue is perfect for her, and the wedding they have had there are beautiful.  She is very crafty, so we are discussing some of the things we can do for decor and so on.

So, my head is spinning!

Anita, that shirt looks very much like something you would wear.  Great choice.

Sally, I'm glad you had a great time in Cuba.

Margaret, I will have to check out those links!  I did glance at the Pantone site though.  I am drawn to the fire colors a lot, but my favorite in all of those was toffee!!  Love that color!

I may have some changes to my plans for next year...I think I need some money for a wedding...

Laurie, best wishes all around!  I was the mother of the groom last June and the hardest part was shopping for a dress. It became almost a full time job🙄.  Wishing you lots of happy and enjoyable experiences leading up to the big day.  It’s amazing how quickly time will pass.  Hoping you will share it all with us.

Sharon

Laurie, how exciting, a wedding! Congratulations and best wishes to the future bride and groom. Your excellent planning skills are really going to get a workout. 🙂

Anita, I also have high hopes for Living Coral as it is described as having gold undertones. And how lucky are we to have TWO browns, though Brown Granite is probably more in my wheelhouse than it would be for true autumns since it seems to be a bit gray. We shall have to see how it is manifested in actual clothes.

Can you imagine how fun it would be if all of us could do the Cuba cruise? I picture us all piling into vintage cars and having a blast.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

Laurie, how exciting, a wedding! Congratulations and best wishes to the future bride and groom. Your excellent planning skills are really going to get a workout. 🙂

Anita, I also have high hopes for Living Coral as it is described as having gold undertones. And how lucky are we to have TWO browns, though Brown Granite is probably more in my wheelhouse than it would be for true autumns since it seems to be a bit gray. We shall have to see how it is manifested in actual clothes.

Can you imagine how fun it would be if all of us could do the Cuba cruise? I picture us all piling into vintage cars and having a blast.

2 hours ago, Joby said:

I'm up for it!!!

We would need a vintage van & salsa lessons !

On 10/21/2018 at 2:03 PM, MJC said:

I don't know how we got on the subject, but at breakfast I was explaining to DH about how there are colors that are "in fashion" and described the Pantone system, and why it could be difficult to match a color that was "old." So, I pulled up the colors for Spring 2019 on my phone and showed him, but he couldn't read the names, so I did. I got to the last one, Brown Granite, and I couldn't make it out very well but eventually did. I told him that at first I thought it said Brown GRAVY, and he laughed so hard! Now every time we see something that color we go, look, Brown Gravy!

In any event, a reminder of what's to come for Spring 2019. I'm really liking the two greens!

https://www.pantone.com/color-intelligence/fashion-color-trend-report/fashion-color-trend-report-new-york-spring-summer-2019

Looks like my brown gravy that’s in my crockpot 😉

• Like 1

Congratulations to your daughter, Laurie!  Fun, stressful & can be expensive if you let it be. Both our daughters decided to scale down the wedding & save their dad’s sanity. We had beautiful events one for $3K & one for $4K (10 years apart). We split the costs. Our son’s (now ex wife) went in opposite direction & had a Cinderella themed wedding that (19 years ago) cost over $20K, ridiculous. 

Im having what better be my last foot surgery this Friday, they’re fusing all the other toes. I’ll be about 8 weeks nonweight bearing. Ugh

Wow, Melody, another surgery. At least you'll be up and around by the time the holiday season rolls around.  I had my stitches out today and had the impression made for my temporary tooth. My gums are still very tender, but today I was able to eat some chicken! I still have to pack my lunch every day because there is so little in the cafeteria that I can eat.

Anita, for some reason I was thinking about old movies for you today -- The Third Man, Double Indemnity, and Rebecca. I also really like To Sir, With Love (heard the song today and it reminded me of it).

Free salsa lessons are on me, ladies... though I would love to learn a real Cuban salsa.

Melody, I hope your surgery went well yesterday. We all look forward to hearing from you about how you are doing. 💐 Get well flowers for you. 🙂

Well, we survived the craziness of this week with all the bomb news and resulting massive transit shutdowns. While the actual locations weren't near us, it's the waiting and not knowing that is hard to take. So reminiscent of 9/11 for us.

We're getting hit with a nor'easter today, sheets and sheets of rain and high winds. We had planned to go hiking. 😞 We seem to keep having the worst weather on weekends.

I can finally eat more real food, though crunchy things are still off the table, and I don't feel like eating much because my taste buds aren't working right. Nothings sounds good. I've lost 7 pounds this month, which is the only benefit so far. My work pants have gone from snug to loose, and if I lose another 3 or 4 pounds I'll be down a size. Yay!

Here are some cute Blowfish boots I got at TJMaxx last week. They are tan canvas with a waterproof sole, and very comfy! So cute with jeans! I like them so much, I may buy another pair and store them until these wear out. I did get a spot on one, and it came out easily with some Shout and water.

blowfish.jpg

Edited by MJC

Yes, OMG Melody. I hope all went as well as it possibly could yesterday. What your plans for off your feet entertainment? That will take you through Thanksgiving won't it? 

So...I live under a rock and have no idea what you are talking about Margaret. I'll have to look that up. But yikes! We had the rain yesterday, all day...so I can relate to that.

Super cute boots. I'm not sure what I think about the buy more than one pair. In the past I would have said 100% do it. Now though...I'm finding the seasonality of things in relation to myself. My tastes change just enough that I think more along the lines of caring for those boots as best you can. Regular maintenance...but then, when you've worn them all out, would you really want ANOTHER pair? Or would you like to have something that would be more in keeping with the future current Margaret? Maybe future Margaret has some new clothes and accessories and that color is no longer quite right...maybe after having had the lighter color boots for a while...you'd want darker ones? Or whatever...

I recently read a tidbit in a magazine or blog that has stuck with me. Someone had gone through their process of trimming the fat in their home and belongings and they talked about protecting their empty space. How precious their empty space was. How hard it can be to avoid the desire and habit of filling in empty spaces. But they protected it. My take away, now in my own words...having that empty space keeps you open to the new. It keeps you receptive and allows you the capacity to expand and grow in the future as needs and circumstances change. It keeps you engaged in the current, the here and now, not stuck in an overwhelming, stuff it to the gills past that makes incorporating new things difficult. And having limited empty space makes you be selective as to what you want to try to incorporate and more cognizant of what from the past the new thing may be replacing? Or updating to the current?

So...with those thoughts in mind. I say think again on buying a second pair.

We went to opening night of the opera last night. La Boheme. We've seen it before. Atlanta produces it either last year or the year before. A very entertaining opera. It does have the typical death ending but for whatever reason it isn't too sad to me. Not like Madame Butterfly. OMG. That's heartbreaking. This one...there's such fun throughout...and the whirlwind romance isn't too believable for me...so I'm not too sad I guess? IDK.

First time to go to an evening opera. I was so looking to dressing up but the cold (high of 46!) and the rain through me for a loop. HOWEVER...I came up with a great little outfit that I loved and felt really good wearing. And I must credit the fact that I recently went through my wardrobe and so I could actually remember and see everything that I have and could more easily see that I had all these pieces to put together into a cute, and very warm, and appropriate outfit for going out last night.

I wore that long-sleeved green swing dress, the bamboo knit, that I purchased for our Alaska trip. My sweater jacket that I bought and wore to the opera once last year (sweater arms and back, fake suede front with fur lining). Sheer brown tights, thigh high socks and my knee high lace up boots.

IMG-2300.jpg

The picture was taking after the opera so my hair is a little wonky...and Gracie girl is loving on me after having been out for a while!

I was wearing this lovely scarf...deep green with cream and a brassy gold thread.

IMG-2301.jpg

It can be hard to see the metallic thread...but they are there...wide pinstripes in the design.

Doing my makeup, I also figured out that I don't like a single red family lip coloring I own...at least, not with the eye make I typically do... It's impossible to see in this photo, the lighting being what it is, but I was pleased with my eye make up. I really need a hair cut...It's been over a year...it needs to be reshaped badly, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet. Soon.

There were two ladies that I saw wearing floor length sequence dresses. I didn't quite fit in those ladies, but they were the minority for sure...the majority was simply dressed nicely. I was happy.

We're doing the health benefit enrollment for next year through DH's work. I was doing things that would get us some HSA $$ before the end of the year. I guess I had missed doing my survey at the beginning of the year. They classify me as obese. Not a bit ego boost there. I think I looked very nice for an obese woman. LOL!

Hello all!

Before I get going here, I want to mention something, Anita.  My doctor lists one of the reasons for my regular visits, besides the thyroid issue and border line blood pressure, as obesity.  I asked him recently if I was still obese?  I could use to lose more weight, yes, but I never thought of myself as obese after losing 55 pounds and wearing anywhere from a size 6 to a 10, depending on what the item is.

He smiled and said loose a little more, and we can take that off.

So I don't know...it's probably some sort of doctor thing. 

Your outfit is really cute, and looks like "you".  I often look at outfits other wear, an dask myself if I would wear the same thing.  I find it so interesting to see the differences and similarities.  Don't you?

I have been looking for some casual, comfortable outfits were I'm not wearing jeans or shorts, but I'm not dressed up either.  During the summer, one of my favorite outfits was this green knit tshirt dress.  It is a wonderful olive color.  It had a basic fit wear it was loose, but not a swing dress.  I would say aline, overall.  I wore it with a scarf and my jeans jacket one time, with just casual sandals.  When it warmed up, I wore it without the scarf and jeans jacket, but with a longer necklace.  I have considered wearing it in the fall with a sweater and boots, but I got stuck. 

It's the littlest things for me.  I have trouble with the concept of having a gap between the hemline and the top of the boot.  I always want my dresses to be longer, mid calf, with a knee high boot.  I have been trying to figure out why?  I love to look on you, Anita, and every time I go to do that, I stop.  I was thinking that between today and tomorrow, if I have time, I should just try it and see.  Maybe I just need to actually do it realize it will look nice.  Or maybe I will figure out why I don't do it to begin with.

It's interesting too to hear about how people dress.  The past few years, we have been going to the ballet just before Christmas.  The evening show is dressier than the matinee, but there seems to be a variety of attire.  I know it is different than the opera.  My daughter loves to go to symphonies and the like, but she hasn't been to one in a while.

Melody, I hope you are doing well.  I too hope that it is your last foot surgery.

I'm feeling very, very tired today, as I stayed up for all 18 innings of that record World Series game.  I just wish the outcome had been different.  It is very discouraging to see one player blamed when the reality is, there were a lot of guys who didn't pla well.  Tonight is another game though!  and hopefully, it will be shorter!

Wedding plans are already moving along nicely.  My daughter and her fiance are very reasonable people.  They are also very appreciative that we are helping them out.  My daughter has always thought about what type of wedding she would have someday, so it is beautiful to see her putting the ideas into motion.

I think I mentioned it already, but I would call the theme country elegance.  That is her, and everything she loves.  The reception will be in a barn, but with beautiful lights and lots of flowers.  We have a budget for everything, and right now, the flowers are likely to be small white and blue flowers with baby's breath in mason jars, perhaps.  She will have a little table with lots of different candy that people can put into a little jar.  Make your own favor, that kind of thing.  It's going to be cute. 
But it is 100% Stephanie and Dashaun.  All the lights, the table cloths and napkins, it will be beautiful.  She has some awesome idea.

Here is a picture from their website, so it gives you an idea.  It will on a Friday evening. Most people choose barbecue as the food choice.  We have two caterers we are looking at.  I think the things that I have to wrap my head around are beverages.  My daughter and future son-in-law do not drink.  Steph could care less if people drink or not, but Dashaun does not want alcohol.  The caterers we are looking at deliver, set up and serve the food, so that is all done for you.  But how do I handle the beverages?  I was thinking water bottles, then soda, coffee tea...and maybe some sort of fun signature "virgin" punch?  But I have to see how to handle that - I may need a beverage server? 

image.png.bc36062186ce5e6546d650d64ed0e638.png

Thank you cruzisme! 

Laurie, my wedding was a similar look. We were married at a dude ranch. The dining room was complete country with different sized tables and mismatched chairs throughout. We rented table cloths and napkins etc and dressed it up in a way no one ever had before. It was very elegant decor on top of a very rustic foundation. I loved it.

About the skirt length and the boots. I have large calves. I can have a very hard time finding taller boots that work for me. I was so excited to see the lace ups in a wide width...the laces break up the expanse of my calves. I have wondered if I could have gotten away with the normal width for the lace ups because there is no gap for the laces to cross and I think I would prefer a gap between the two sides and having the tongue show rather than the two sides meeting. Something to keep in mind for the future...,meanwhile I just deal with it.

Back to my point...I generally dislike any skirts that hide my knees. I appreciate having that skinniest part of my leg exposed. The one exception is an a-line maxi but not too full, but having the waist part be the obviously smallest part while no leg shows. I think my height helps with the breaking up of the leg.

I would recommend getting tights that match your boots so that you don’t have a break in the color of your legs under the shorter skirt. I needed to add socks for warmth to my outfit. My speckled cream color went with the jacket but I was thinking that I could add a pair of brown ones to my wardrobe to make my legs visually longer and unbroken in their line.