All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Both dinner outfits are nice, but I really like the brown top with scarf and colored pants.

Layering top will go nice with the olive pants. I think they'll go fine with silver shoes, but I'm not a big shoe person since I'm so hard to fit I'm just happy finding anything :)

Maybe a plum or burgundy athletic top with the pants?

Continuing our Miami weekend…

Sunday night we had planned for dinner at Carrabbas. We don't have these in NY, and DH loves the one in Sarasota. Loves it. Talks about going there every Christmas. I had brought the casual dress for it: we always run into people he knows when we're out and about at a conference, so I like to look nice (a lot of them know me too after all these years).

It's closed. OMG what to do. DH joined me for a drink by the pool before dinner, and I had to break the news. I gave him some options, and we chose to just eat at the hotel restaurant. So, the dress stayed in the closet and I wore my skort with the black shirt I had traveled in with my cute sandals. It was fine (my salmon in mango salsa was actually quite excellent). There was only one other table with people, so it was very peaceful. After, we walked out to the boardwalk and admired the moon on the ocean. Not too shabby.

Monday I had planned to Zumba again at the JCC, but I had one of those nights. I didn't get to sleep until almost 4am. So, I slept in a bit, had a late breakfast, and parked myself at the pool to read and swim. It was so hot even in the shade that I had to take a break in the room in the afternoon. There was more bobbing in the ocean watching the ships go out to sea. DH had a long and grueling day at the conference so we defaulted to the hotel restaurant again. We just weren’t up for dressing up and finding a taxi and dealing with the heat. DH definitely didn’t want to rejoin the masses at the Fontainebleu, even though they have other amazing restaurants. This time I just wore my skort with a tshirt. It was very quiet again so we had excellent service and could linger as long as we wanted.

Tuesday was our last day. As Choice Hotels loyalty members we had late checkout and didn’t have to be at the airport until 4:30pm. I was very motivated to take a Citibike to a Zumba class at a local rec center. I loaded my string backpack and headed to the bike station. Well. Things did not exactly work out. There were five confused guys there trying to figure out the kiosk. It turned out to be broken, so I got on the app and told them where another kiosk was. However, I didn’t have time to walk several blocks to get there and then ride to the class. Instead I grabbed my laptop and did my Zumba routine in the hotel gym, which I had to myself.

I had one more chance to swim in the ocean, followed by some pool time spent swimming, reading, finishing my crossword puzzle, and a quick lunch. It really felt like a very full day already when I was packing. I traveled home in my black pants and sneakers with the pretty top I had worn on Saturday. We ran into several folks from the conference at the airport and on the plane, so I was glad I looked pulled together.

In the mornings as we waited for the elevator we were greeted by this lovely view of Miami in the morning. This isn't a great picture, but the sun sparkling on the buildings was really pretty:

miami2.jpg

Clothing roundup: I didn’t wear the dress I had brought, nor one of the t shirts. I did wear all my shoes and was glad for the lightweight sweater/jacket I had brought. I wish I had brought a second set of workout clothes because they definitely needed a hand wash each day and took quite a long time to dry.

I enjoyed staying in midbeach because it is quiet, but South Beach definitely has more to choose from in terms of restaurants and nightlife. Except for the highly-rated and highly expensive ones at the Fontainebleu, all the hotel restaurants in midbeach seem to be of the same practical ilk, and except for a few lunch spots, there isn't much else in the way of dining. The open air beachfront grills all seemed to close at dark, between 6:30-7pm.

Our mid-day temps were in the mid-90s, so it was too hot for me to shop on Lincoln Road. The hotel had a shuttle to the outlet mall, but again, I wasn't really motivated for shopping and it was too hot to go without REALLY wanting to.

MB has a lovely little botanical garden. If I had biked to Zumba, it would have been an easy stop after class. I'm saving it for next time. :)

Laurie, that sounds like a wonderful getaway. I've seen stories on the Walkway and have always thought that would be fun to do. I think your gray shoes will be fine as most people hiking don't worry so much about matching. Comfortable feet is the important thing. Don't forget a hat and sunscreen.

Both of those outfits you showed us are so pretty. Perhaps the weather forecast will help you decide. We went from 90's on Thursday to 60's today. I don't know how to dress until 5 minutes before I leave for work. :)

Melody -- that jewelry is so pretty. I wish she had more necklaces to see, I really liked those.

I commuted to work by bicycle for the first time yesterday! I'm very proud of myself! Then we had dinner with two of DH's former colleagues. I was so tired (and they were rather boring -- all work talk) I could hardly finish my food.

I’ve ordered a bracelet, she made it custom for me (as I can’t have metals other than gold & that’s pricey for costume jewelry). It’s lapis lazuli, Crystal & lapis quartz. It should arrive tomorrow, can’t wait. She’s designing a necklace for me as well once I decide on colors. I’m leaning toward lapis as I have a lot of things to go with it.

Your weekend sounds great Margaret. Les used to travel with me to conferences & he’d always find things to do while I worked then we’d go look at places he’d found. I went to some pretty nice places

Laurie, have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Margaret, Sounds like you had a great get away .We love Carrabba's they are all over Florida .It is hot in Florida right now and I am patiently waiting for some cooler weather .

Laurie, Cute dinner outfits !

We are two weeks from our Cuba trip and I have started gathering our things . I do not usually do it so early but my Sister is visiting me right before the trip so I will not have time then. We booked a shorter tour in a old car for this trip to see some of the things we missed . We are also going to Key West but that is just a walk around day since we have been there so much.

When I lived in New Jersey we always went on a fall trip. One of my Favorites was to Mystic Connecticut .

Melody , Yes for now RCL is not cruising to Cuba from Tampa after this fall .Most of the lines are sailing from Miami to Cuba . RCL has the empress going to three ports in Cuba .I have a friend whose husband is Cuban and she told me the other ports are great . They go to Cuba a lot .Carnival is still sailing to Havana from Tampa..

Thanks Sally. Guess I’ll look at Miami then. We planned on visiting Les’s brother on Ft Myers & then getting a Cuba cruise.

You could always just take the Cruise Connection bus from Ft, Meyers to Miami . We have taken it several times and it is an ideal way to get to the ports .

I ducked into DressBarn this morning (to avoid a quick rain shower) & came out with this, didn’t need it but liked it & a Medium fit me [emoji7]65e12bb5e6aa5270788d81ae3f044066.jpgit is a much more vibrant purple than this picture shows.

I too wish Anita would check in. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Melody that's so you. Very nice find. I popped into TJMaxx over the weekend but just came out with navy pants. Not very interesting, but do you think I can find my blue pants anywhere? How does that happen??

My Mexican Riviera photo book arrived. It looks merely ok, so I am not happy with Shutterfly. The pictures look too dark and muted. So, I'm on the hunt for a different book maker. Boy do I miss My Publisher, they made a great product.

What would you like updated? I've very much enjoyed reading about everyone's fun weekends away...first Melody in the NE, Margaret in Florida and Laurie is currently on her weekend getaway...

The students at UNCSA are calling the time of Florence "Hurrication" because our fair city fared very well in the midst of everything Florence dished out...and continues to dish out in a way with all the continued recovering. That is far from me though. I guess I'm shy to talk too much about how little we were affected because so many were so greatly affected...

Meanwhile...we are through the first round of college apps. OMG. Possibly repeating myself...but with music composition, for conservatories, DS applies like most college applicants do...but the first step is prescreening. If he makes it past prescreening, then he will be invited for an interview. If he were a performance major, that interview would be an audition. For some conservatories, composers DO have to ALSO audition, usually on piano, guitar or voice. DS would most likely do voice. However, the pressure for that audition is not as great as a performance major because it's kind of understood that a composer isn't in the same league as a major in piano, guitar, or voice.

So round one is done. We should hear about the prescreening for those next month or so.

DH and I have been going to a class that is a circuit workout on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There are 6 stations give or take...each using either body weight or a particular thing (like a barbell, dumbbells, kettle bells, bands, a bar thing, etc.). They are set up all over this huge room with all different levels. It starts like a shotgun golf tournament with everyone spread out over the stations. One day, you go at your own pace, with the expectation of doing however many reps at each circuit stop. The other day, you go for the time allotment and then everyone switches with the beep.

It's very hard. I'm having to do quite a bit of modifications but it feels good to be doing something. It's been a while since I have been active with any serious workout...and I have never really pursued doing any sort of circuit or traditional strength training before. Not with any regularity. We've been going twice a week now for over a month, with the exception of the Florence interruption.

Meanwhile...I read that book Margaret. Essentialism. I liked it a lot. A LOT. Good timing for me and for us really, as we are hitting this major life transition with the empty nest looming on the horizon. DS graduates in less than 7 months! DH and I have been constantly talking about our plans for post DS at home life...and we're pretty excited. There are a couple things in the works which will be fun to talk about as time passes.

My hair's driving me nuts...I need a cut bad. I just haven't made the appointment. We've been dealing with annoying car issues. Went out and the battery was completely gone, no warning on one vehicle. Turns out it was the original battery...an 84 month battery that lasted 10 years!! To bad you can only get them in Japan...I would have bought that again. I should be able to get in this week though. I've been enjoying my long hair again BUT it's dragging my face down...Need to get the layers going again...the longest layers are below my chin...it's not a good look on me.

I remember our grands doing the college application & scholarship applications. Our daughter set a table up in the study with all the scholarship apps in due date. It was actually quite scary. They each have received many scholarships too.

Love circuit training (but haven’t gone back since our vacation). I’m having more foot surgery the end of the month so might just wait till I’ve recovered from that.

The top is a sleeveless tank with the poncho top attached at the neckline. Nice thing is I can wear a regular bra under it. If I’d seen this earlier I’d have worn it for the reunion. It’s in the cruise closet [emoji6]

Good to have you back in the mix Anita!

So, hotels are starting to open in Vancouver for our September 2019 cruise. Holy moly are they pricey! $500CAD for one night. I don’t want to buy the room, just sleep in it for one night!!! Hampton Inn Downtown, $469CAD (60,000 points); Marriott Pinnacle, $489CAD (member rate, points not offered). Pan Pacific rooms won’t open till January but same or more price range. I need to start saving my pennies!

Anita - glad to hear you fared well in the storms. I hope you don't struggle too much with "survivor's" guilt - someone needs to be ok to help others rebuild:)

Enjoy the circuit training!

Melody - that top is lovely, Dress Barn clothes are usually good for being able to wear normal bras with their clothes (something I don't find everywhere).

Our daughter has been accepted at her #1 and #2 choices, we are still waiting on one decision and after a visit last Friday to another school we realized it wasn't a good fit. She has her FAFSA account started and we'll try to finish that step this evening. It's still weird seeing my "baby" becoming an adult, but I'm so proud of her.